PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Fiction

Ricky S
2011-09-01, 05:14 AM
I love zombies and I am completely obsessed with them however I am finding that there is not much written about them. I have already watched nearly every zombie movie that I can find but the only zombie books I have read was world war Z

So I ask you playgrounders in your infinite wisdom if you know of any other zombie related books or places online where I can read some more about my favourite topic.

Serpentine
2011-09-01, 06:16 AM
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?
Sorry, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Killer Angel
2011-09-01, 06:46 AM
So I ask you playgrounders in your infinite wisdom if you know of any other zombie related books or places online where I can read some more about my favourite topic.

I suggest L4D (http://www.l4d.com/comic/) webcomic. :smallwink:

Ricky S
2011-09-01, 06:57 AM
Have you read pride and prejudice and zombies yourself? Would you recommend it? I, being a typical guy, am not really interested in love and romance but if it has good zombie eating people action then I will definately give it a read.

The L4D comic was brilliant fun. Funnily enough my favourite game is L4D.

Serpentine
2011-09-01, 07:15 AM
Have you read pride and prejudice and zombies yourself? Would you recommend it? I, being a typical guy, am not really interested in love and romance but if it has good zombie eating people action then I will definately give it a read.I haven't read it, and I've heard mixed opinions of it. Some people love it, some people hate it.
Basically, the "author" took Pride and Prejudice... and inserted a zombie story into it. From what I understand, the original story is intact, and the zombie part is (varying according to opinion) skillfully woven into it.
I really like Pride and Prejudice. I should read P&P&Zombies sometime soon...

comicshorse
2011-09-01, 09:24 AM
I actuallly read 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'. My opinion : its a good joke but not good enough to sustain the entire book.

If you're into comics 2,000 AD did a series 'Defoe' in which in the London of 1666 the zombie plague erupts. The story follows Titus Defoe and his rabble of Zombie hunters in their attempts to combat the Zombie hordes and winkle out who was responsible for it in the first place.
The stories have been gathered together into several books

Bearpunch
2011-09-01, 09:43 AM
The Zombie Survival Guide, by the Max Brooks, auther of WWZ.

Death Troopers, Han Solo and Chewy VS Zombies! Surprisingly dark and serious read. Goes quickly though. A fun book, but not a great book.

I have heard the Dead Space comics are solid.

comicshorse
2011-09-01, 01:31 PM
Just remembered !

There's a british publishing imprint called ABADDON BOOKS. They publish books by different authors in various shared world scenarios.
One of these are 'The Tomes of the Dead' series. Twelve novels exploring various aspects of the Zombie apocalpyse idea.
Never read any of them so I can't tell you if they're any good though. Judging by some of the other stuff Abaddon have done they look to be fun, pulpy stories.

Starwulf
2011-09-01, 02:45 PM
The Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant is an excellent series(Only two books out thus far, the third will be out sometime next year I do believe).

Mindartis
2011-09-01, 03:37 PM
I have a friend who has some of the Nekropolis series, which is good. Its not completely about Zombies, however, the main protagonist is a Zombie Private Eye, and from what I read of it its really good.

SuperMuldoon
2011-09-01, 04:03 PM
The Walking Dead. Best zombie comic ever.

Keld Denar
2011-09-01, 04:35 PM
Zombie Ranch is a pretty decent zombie themed webcomic so far. Relatively short archive bing, took me about an hour. Artwork is pretty, even if there is relatively little plot/page.

comicshorse
2011-09-01, 06:42 PM
The Walking Dead. Best zombie comic ever.

And a good TV series as well

Elrik
2011-09-02, 12:39 AM
I personally think The Walking Dead is zombies: the comic book. If you're okay with the comic also focusing on the survirvor's relationships wth eachother. It also had a tv series that started in October 2010 and ended it's first season in December.

I know you're not really asking for movies but I personally enjoyed [REC] (the Spanish movie that inspired the American movie Quarantine, which I didn't think was as good as the original).

Ricky S
2011-09-02, 09:53 AM
I personally think The Walking Dead is zombies: the comic book. If you're okay with the comic also focusing on the survirvor's relationships wth eachother. It also had a tv series that started in October 2010 and ended it's first season in December.

I know you're not really asking for movies but I personally enjoyed [REC] (the Spanish movie that inspired the American movie Quarantine, which I didn't think was as good as the original).

Lol I really liked [REC] as well. I liked the american remake as well, only because the main actor was the same actress that was in dexter.

J-H
2011-09-03, 08:59 AM
Polarity. Marvel heros vs Romero-style zombie apocalypse, focused on a B-grade villian named The Shocker.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5124106/1/Polarity

Dr.Epic
2011-09-03, 12:20 PM
The only zombie fiction I'm interested in right now is that of a munchkin persuasion (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/munchkinzombies/).

Also, Shaun of a Dead is a great film!:smallbiggrin:

Juggling Goth
2011-09-03, 01:56 PM
The Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant is an excellent series(Only two books out thus far, the third will be out sometime next year I do believe).

Seconded. They're brilliant. (Mira Grant is a pseudonym for Seanan MacGuire, who also writes the October Daye urban fantasy series. That has nothing to do with zombies, but it's awesome.) The first one's 'Feed'; the second one's 'Deadline'. 'Blackout' is due out in May 2012.

Keld Denar
2011-09-06, 12:26 PM

OMG! I've been looking (passively, not actively) for the name of that movie ever since some guys in my fraternity watched it and I saw part of it like, 6 years ago. Now I need to figure out where I need to go to rent it. I want to watch it in Spanish with subtitles...

SlayerScott
2011-09-06, 12:50 PM
If you're looking for fairly unrelated books with Zombie subplots...

George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" has an invasion by The Others which are for all intents and purposes Zombies. If you watch the TV adaptation of the first book "Game of Thrones" The opening scene is about Zombies. It is however, a rather small sideplot as part of a huge epic so your Zombie to reading time ratio is extremely low.

I'm also reading a book called "The Affinity Bridge" and it's got Zombies in it. It's not a bad book - I'm not quite finished - but it's overly ambitious. It's supposed to be a Steampunk book but now it's got robots, Zombies, ghosts, cyborgs, clairvoyants...I like the writing style but he's got the whole NinjaPirateRobotZombie theme overload.

Ashtar
2011-09-07, 05:30 AM
If you like Manga, there's High school of the dead which has both a anime and a manga version. They both roughly follow the same storyline. Warning though, has some fanservice, which might be a bonus or a drawback depending. I find the scenario excellent and relatively well done.

There's also many collected Zombie Anthologies with short stories. I have The Living dead (http://www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-John-Joseph-Adams/dp/1597801437/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315391318&sr=8-4), which is full of stories. It's hit and miss, depending on how you feel. I see there's other (http://www.amazon.com/New-Dead-Zombie-Anthology/dp/B0044KN1EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315391318&sr=8-1) anthologies (http://www.amazon.com/Undead-Anthology-D-L-Snell/dp/0976555948), but I can't comment on them.

Serpentine
2011-09-07, 05:35 AM
If you like Manga, there's High school of the dead which has both a anime and a manga version. They both roughly follow the same storyline. Warning though, has some fanservice, which might be a bonus or a drawback depending. I find the scenario excellent and relatively well done."Some" is an understatement, at least in the anime...

An Enemy Spy
2011-09-13, 04:06 PM
How has nobody mentioned Zombieland yet?

Ricky S
2011-09-13, 11:21 PM
How has nobody mentioned Zombieland yet?

Because this is more about zombie fiction in books and comics than movies.

Elrik
2011-09-14, 01:43 AM
OMG! I've been looking (passively, not actively) for the name of that movie ever since some guys in my fraternity watched it and I saw part of it like, 6 years ago. Now I need to figure out where I need to go to rent it. I want to watch it in Spanish with subtitles...

I saw the majority of the movie on youtube, I think they took it down a few months back though. I'll have to go check.

EDIT: Hm, I don't see it anymore.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-14, 01:44 PM
I actuallly read 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'. My opinion : its a good joke but not good enough to sustain the entire book.

More or less same with Abe Lincoln: Vampire Killer.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-09-14, 10:39 PM
Polarity. Marvel heros vs Romero-style zombie apocalypse, focused on a B-grade villian named The Shocker.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5124106/1/Polarity

Along those lines, there's the Marvel Zombies series.

Which also has Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness.

Could check out the Army of Darkness comics. Not exactly zombies, but fairly close.

The only bad thing I have to say about P&P&Z is that it can be hard to read, since it's written with the same language style as the original book.

There are a couple good online comics that are focused on zombies. My favorites being "Dead Winter" and "The Zombie Hunters".

If you liked WWZ, than definitely read "The Zombie Survival Guide". Same author, and written like and actual reference guide. seriously, when the zombie apocalypse finally happens, I will have that book with me everywhere.

Elrik
2011-09-15, 12:43 AM
The first Marvel Zombies that I read I enjoyed, the art really fit the story.

I bought the Army of Darkness crossover and the third Marvel Zombies story, didn't like either of them. The first one deals with the nature of the virus that they have, and basicaloly deals with them fighting for food due to the endless hunger that they have.

Oh, and they all talk, and are still witty and sociable with the other zombies.