PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Blast-a-Sorc Help Required

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-01, 02:59 PM
Hey all!!

Need some help polishing off my sorc for my friends Pathfinder campaign.
Everyone loves chipping in their 2 cents, so I've decided to throw this to the lions and see what comes out...

My friend will be starting a 14-20 Pathfinder Campaign next week. I'm hooked on Arcane and after handfuls of weird and wonderful Wiz's I've settled on an all out, simple yet effective, blaster cannon sorc. In a nut shell; High hit points, high DC's and high dmg output.

Below is the outline to my character, everything is subject to change so feel free to pick holes and fill them in with your own ideas.

Character:

Sim-Sim Salaboom
14 Gnome Sorc
Cha 33 (34 at 16) Con 24

Bloodline (Crossblooded):
Arcane (+3 to Evoc DC's) & expanded arcana to replace spells known loss.
Arcane Bond (Wand) - Not sure which spell to craft into my wand?! Since it'll be my caster level I'm swaying with a Gr False Life wand to help out the cleric. Either that or a blaster spell to wipe out minions.

Elemental: Only real reason for this is for the energy substitution Bloodline Arcana. If you know of a way I can obtain this without taking a bloodline let me know please! (Apart from the feat Elemental spell, as it's only half & half). This means I'll be able to take Draconic in its place for the +1 dmg per die rolled.

Feats:
Great Fortitude & Spell Focus , Empower, Maximize, Quicken, Spell Pen + Piercing Spell (I hate SR, and never prepare for it enough), Gr Spell Focus (Evoc) & Spell Specialization (Spell not selected yet)

Once I hit 15 I'll be taking Spell Perfection for the spell selected for specialization.

[B]Traits:
Indomitable Faith: +1 Will Save to make up for the -2 loss on cross blood.
Magical Lineage: -1 effective spell slot (spell not chosen). Ideally I'd like to combine this with Spell Specialization & Spell Perfection!!

Equipment:
Free reign with 185k....
+3 Cha tome, +6 item. +4 Con belt. Arcane Robes (+4 Bloodline Power level).
+3 Resistance cloak. Flying Carpet. Nap Stack scrolls.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. Please let me know which spells you wouldn't leave home without, and which spells to apply to certain features (such as the wand & the Magical Lineage/Spell Spec/Spell Perfection trio). All other tips and tricks are welcomed as well.

Look forward to reading your suggestions,
Gandolfi Feesh x

Demon of Death
2011-09-01, 03:26 PM
If you are allowed 3.5 Stuff you can use the Energy Substitution feats from Complete Arcane, instead of the Elemental bloodline

About all I can help with unfortunately.
Also the Robes of Arcane Heritage,as you have, are so nice.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-01, 03:33 PM
Nah, no 3.5 will be allowed. We just invested in the three books.. So he'll only want to use those them.

Robes are nice, they match my flying carpet

Infernalbargain
2011-09-02, 01:58 AM
Instead of raising your SR checks, try picking SR:NO's. These same spells also happen to be the ones for which there is little resistance too. Suggestion: pick acid. Since there are few things that are resistant to acid, you don't really need to worry about switching elements to much. This reopens the draconic line to you and saves you some feats.

I'd drop maximize for intensify, and pick up reach spell because reach is just that good.

BTW:
Choose one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may replace a spell’s normal damage with that energy type or split the spell’s damage, so that half is of that energy type and half is of its normal type.

Elemental spell does do a full replace, you may choose for it to be split though.

If you are too attached to being a gnome, I'd play human instead. The bonus feat will help with the metamagics and the human sorcerer alternate favored class option is 100% beastly.

Even with the extra spells from being human, being cross-blooded is a huge price since it effectively delays entry into another spell level by yet another level. You may be level 14, but you still only got level 6 spells. Sure you can meta up to level 7, but it isn't quite the same. In order to really benefit from cross-blooded, you have to look at how much you're going to be switching out from your "main" bloodline. Don't forget about using eldritch heritage a possibility to pick up bloodline abilities that you'd normally crossblood for.

stack
2011-09-02, 11:18 AM
Well...you would get even more blast damage from a half-orc crossblooded orc/draconic sorcerer, but if you are set with the above than that is out.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-02, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the advice;

With regards to the half orc bonus to fire damage;
Would a fire spell transformed to the acid descriptor work? (Flimsy)
Does it give me +1 damage for every 2 levels I possess?? What happens if I take it ten times???

Infernalbargain
2011-09-02, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the advice;

With regards to the half orc bonus to fire damage;
Would a fire spell transformed to the acid descriptor work? (Flimsy)
Does it give me +1 damage for every 2 levels I possess?? What happens if I take it ten times???

It isn't as strong as the draconic line though because it is a flat +, not a +/dice. I would likely rule against orc damage unless the spell has both descriptors.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-02, 10:46 PM
It isn't as strong as the draconic line though because it is a flat +, not a +/dice. I would likely rule against orc damage unless the spell has both descriptors.

Yeah that's probably the best I'm going to get.
Hmm, trading off 10hp, 4 extra spells, 14 skill points & a feat (human)
for an extra 7 dmg on fire spells (horc)
Bit of a no brainer I'd say?

Eldritch Heritage allows you the bloodline power granted at first level, does this include the arcana that would become available at first level? Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of a feat as all level 1 bloodline powers are poop

Gorgondantess
2011-09-03, 02:45 AM
The primer for good blasters everywhere. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) Granted, it's not pathfinder, but just do what the guy says, even minus the skeezy cheese, and it's pretty awesome. The principles therein should remain more or less the same,

Paul H
2011-09-03, 02:47 AM
Hi

Interesting choice - Arcane & Elemental.

I'd have gone with Draconic/Elemental.

Extra damage per dice,, access to Dragon Disciple. etc.

As for Traits, I love 'Magic is Life'. (Religion: Nethys). Auto stablise when under affect of any spell. beneficial or otherwise.

Don't forget the Alternate Racial Traits & Favoured Class options in APG.

Gnomes have Pyromaniac Alternate Racial (+1 CL on fire spells, bloodlines etc).
They don't have a Favoured Class option for Sorceror.

Human favoured class: Add one spell/level to spells known (at least one level lower than max level spell known. Ie Cantrip at lvls 1-3).

Thanks
Paul H

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-03, 09:44 AM
Nice sorc layout for 3.5, doesn't translate to PF too well but I get the jist of what you're saying.

I would love to take draconic and elemental, but it's very hard to let go of a +3 to all DC's, expanded arcana, a bonded item & quicker metamagic...
Nothing comes close in my opinion

Infernalbargain
2011-09-03, 10:09 PM
Yeah that's probably the best I'm going to get.
Hmm, trading off 10hp, 4 extra spells, 14 skill points & a feat (human)
for an extra 7 dmg on fire spells (horc)
Bit of a no brainer I'd say?

Eldritch Heritage allows you the bloodline power granted at first level, does this include the arcana that would become available at first level? Otherwise it's a bit of a waste of a feat as all level 1 bloodline powers are poop

I think you've got the favored class thing wrong. Each level you pick HP, or skills, or the racial. Well you can progress up to the higher heritages. Eldritch heritage does not grant arcana, you can cheese it up slightly with some of the alt. bloodlines from UM. For example, you can pick up an animal companion with sylvan heritage.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-04, 09:25 AM
Hmm, really looking for the bloodline arcana as opposed to any first level abilities. No point in taking an animal companion, our DM takes great pleasure in smiting them down.

With regards to the racial abilities I took 10 levels of +1HP, 4 levels of +1 Spell Known. The skill points and feat were racial bonuses unavailable to the horc, apologies on my poor description of that.

For the Feat Spell Perfection... I'm torn between 2 options:
Quickened Scorching Ray
or
Piercing Dazing Chain Lightning (Magical Lineage keeps this 6th level)

What would you go for?
I have a ring of Wiz II as my bonded object, so I'm leaning towards 14/day Quickened scorching rays (12d6+12 no save)

Karoht
2011-09-05, 12:38 PM
Nah, no 3.5 will be allowed. We just invested in the three books.. So he'll only want to use those them.

Robes are nice, they match my flying carpet

1: Okay what do we got?

2: Not sure sir. Maybe an ambush, maybe just a fight over money. Burn marks here, here, and here, suggest a spherical pattern. Fireball. I'd bet my car on it.

1: Interesting. I want you to narrow down caster level within the hour.
What else whe got? Any footprints?

2: Negative. Flight was definately used. Also, lab says the found fibers on one of the minions over there.

1: Looks like we got ourselves...
*sunglasses*
...a carpet bombing.

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!1!!
:smallcool:

I can never bring myself to play a blasty wizard/sorc, but there is always a compelling arguement to be made from flying a few hundred feet above the battle and dropping down fireballs on enemy groups.