PDA

View Full Version : Genre Switches

Anxe
2011-09-01, 03:36 PM
On Tuesday my group and I sat down for another D&D 3.5 session. My players went venturing into a sewer. The quest they were following was to free a ghost girl's soul from "the bad man." The ghost guided them through the sewer to a room. The room had a Black Pudding in it. The Pudding was defeated, but the players lost one of their Cohorts (But he always dies. It's starting to be funny for me to off him). The next room after the Black Pudding was a big room with a pillar in the center. The ghost girl's physical corpse was chained to the pillar.

Turns out there is a demon trapped down in the sewer who has been torturing the little girl's soul. The party fought the demon with the help of one of their NPC friends, a Paladin. Things went badly. The best moment was:

Tentacles cover the ground at the entrance to the room. They writhe back and forth attempting to grab onto anything their suckers will grasp, such as the Paladin's dead body. The fifteen foot tall demon advances towards the remaining four party members. Two of the characters are unconscious. One of them has gone temporarily insane and is babbling in no tongue mortals can understand. The final active party member is frantically trying to teleport everyone out, but he can't concentrate on his spells due to the crushing despair aura of the demon. The demon steps to the edge of the tentacles and says, "I wouldn't try to escape again, Wizard."

The "wizard" (Who is actually a psion) got away on his third teleport spell, but they had to leave the Paladin behind.

It was very Cthuluian. Any other stories people have about games switching into other genres or systems for a bit?

Erith
2011-09-01, 06:34 PM
In one of our exalted campaigns the dm did a pretty abrupt jump from fairly lighthearted looting of abandoned cities to a survival horror type things when we got caught in the wyld by a powerful unshaped raksha.

Mando Knight
2011-09-01, 07:48 PM
Any other stories people have about games switching into other genres or systems for a bit?

Alright, here's one. It started as a slice-of-life type game with a bit of slightly-mystically-enhanced shenanigans. Then, it turned to Snow White and the Seven Giant Robots. And their dragon-spaceship.