PDA

View Full Version : Low HD "magical" flyers?

deuxhero
2011-09-02, 12:22 AM
For the purpose of skeletons. Assuming "flys magically" means "does not have wings" (or jets I guess).

The creatures need a skeleton, so air elemental is out.

My current to beat is the 6 HD large nightmare with a 90 feet good (Can you make outsider skeletons?)

Starbuck_II
2011-09-02, 12:33 AM
For the purpose of skeletons. Assuming "flys magically" means "does not have wings" (or jets I guess).

The creatures need a skeleton, so air elemental is out.

My current to beat is the 6 HD large nightmare with a 90 feet good (Can you make outsider skeletons?)

Do Beholder work? I know they fly (float) magically without wings. Can you skeleton them with it?

You can make outsider skeletons, but only if they are called ones. Not summoned ones.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-02, 12:33 AM
"Skeleton" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Asperi (MM2), 4 HD Large quadruped, 30 ft. (good)

gbprime
2011-09-02, 12:39 AM
Have you tried any of the Oriental dragons? They're wingless.

DeAnno
2011-09-02, 12:43 AM
Ravids and Yeth Hounds (MM1) have explicitly Su Flight and 3 HD.

deuxhero
2011-09-02, 12:46 AM
"Skeleton" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Asperi (MM2), 4 HD Large quadruped, 30 ft. (good)

Hmm, Yeth Hounds lack any mechanical reason to avoid outdoors and undead are mindless, so workable.

Yeah, but I'm not big on the exact fluff on how killing outsiders of their native planes works (do they leave a body?).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-02, 04:35 AM
Yeah, but I'm not big on the exact fluff on how killing outsiders of their native planes works (do they leave a body?).

Summoned creatures (via Summon Monster, Summon Nature's Ally, etc.) don't leave a corpse because they return to wherever they were summoned from when they would otherwise have been killed. Called creatures (via Planar Ally, Planar Binding, Gate, etc.) or creatures who have traveled between planes non-temporarily (Plane Shift, Gate, etc.) will leave a corpse when they die.

BlackestOfMages
2011-09-02, 04:59 AM
skeletal dragon?

hamishspence
2011-09-02, 05:16 AM
Skeletal dragons generally can't fly.

gbprime
2011-09-02, 08:48 AM
Skeletal dragons generally can't fly.

Right. The OP is trying to get around this line in the "making a creature into a skeleton" rule...

Speed: Winged skeletons can’t use their wings to fly. If the base creature flew magically, so can the skeleton.

What's your hit die limit? The wingless Oriental dragons sometimes hit 300 flight speed, but the HD are likely out of range.

hamishspence
2011-09-02, 08:52 AM
Called creatures (via Planar Ally, Planar Binding, Gate, etc.) or creatures who have traveled between planes non-temporarily (Plane Shift, Gate, etc.) will leave a corpse when they die.

With demons (using FC1) this can be a bit random- sometimes they leave a corpse, sometimes the corpse rapidly destroys itself.

deuxhero
2011-09-02, 11:02 AM
What's your hit die limit? The wingless Oriental dragons sometimes hit 300 flight speed, but the HD are likely out of range.

Like I "said" in the first post, my "to beat" is the Nightmare.

The idea was that someone in another thread mentioned rope trick (at least the PF version) can be pulled around.

CTrees
2011-09-02, 11:26 AM

So... you want to beat a dead horse?:smalltongue:

gbprime
2011-09-02, 12:56 PM
So... you want to beat a dead horse?:smalltongue:

Favorite emoticon at work...

http://jeffbaij.com/blog/images/deadhorse.gif

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-02, 01:05 PM
Op which template are you using, skeletal creature from the BoVD?

deuxhero
2011-09-02, 01:32 PM
Uh, there's more than the one applied by Animate Dead?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-02, 02:21 PM
There is a better form of skeleton template in the BoVD, I don't recall if you could get it through animate dead though