PDA

View Full Version : Choice of spell IRL?

Elboxo
2011-09-02, 12:47 AM
This is just out of interest, as often lots of people find cool utility spells and such, so the question is: What spell would you choose to have, of 3rd level or lower, divine or arcane?

I think i'd go with Alter Self

Malimar
2011-09-02, 12:53 AM
Invisibility.

candycorn
2011-09-02, 01:01 AM
Major Image. The selection of humanoids IRL is too limited for Alter Self, and Invisibility is too easy to trounce with today's tech.

Someone that can weave illusions will always have a good career in stage magic / special effects... Not to mention, thermal illusions are more flexible.

Only other competition? Gaseous Form and Suggestion.

Elboxo
2011-09-02, 01:21 AM
Another hot choice for me would be Plant Growth, not for just making plant growers pay you, but the other abilities that can make within a range of 400 ft + pretty much stop movement. It's damn cool

Rimeheart
2011-09-02, 01:21 AM
Remove Disease and then make a fortune!

Or Animate Dead... and then make a fortune...

Deep Slumber, and then make a fortune...

Glibness, and then trick alot of people?

Ohh Lesser Geas!

Wow, this makes me sound evil. :cool:

Rimeheart
2011-09-02, 01:23 AM
{Scrubbed}

Drelua
2011-09-02, 01:39 AM
Deep Slumber, and then make a fortune...

Uhhh...do I wanna know how you'd make a fortune with Deep Slumber? I somehow doubt that I do...

Anyway, Lightning Bolt! I'd find an engineer and become the new alternative energy source! Plus I's be able to create lightning with my mind! Or maybe Beast Shape I if you include Pathfinder. No one ever suspects the cute little doggy...I could walk away from any crime scene. Or fly. Whatever.

candycorn
2011-09-02, 01:48 AM
Uhhh...do I wanna know how you'd make a fortune with Deep Slumber? I somehow doubt that I do...

Anyway, Lightning Bolt! I'd find an engineer and become the new alternative energy source! Plus I's be able to create lightning with my mind! Or maybe Beast Shape I if you include Pathfinder. No one ever suspects the cute little doggy...I could walk away from any crime scene. Or fly. Whatever.

Gaseous Form is better than puppies. Walk in, grab something you want, go gas, escape out of ventilation.

Suggestion could really alter the course of history, for good or ill. Imagine what the right word in the right ear could do, if they practically HAD to listen to it.

Or the wrong word, for that matter... Suggesting to people who feel wronged (jilted lovers, wronged workers, etc) that violence is the answer, perhaps the ONLY answer that will be heard in these times...

Put yourself in the right spot with the camera, and you stand to make millions.

deuxhero
2011-09-02, 01:52 AM

I'm guessing explotation of the fact that modern societies have fairly widespread sleep issues.

Zaq
2011-09-02, 01:53 AM
Among lowish-level spells, Remove Disease is damned tempting. Curing everything from the sniffles to terminal illness as a standard action? Hard to say no to that. I think we all know someone whom we'd really like to grant a miracle cure to, no?

Feytalist
2011-09-02, 01:54 AM
Greater mage hand.

I'm a lazy bugger.

Killer Angel
2011-09-02, 01:57 AM
Greater mage hand.

I'm a lazy bugger.

Staying on the lazy side... unseen servant.

NNescio
2011-09-02, 02:08 AM
Guidance of the Avatar.

"Why, I just so happen to solve the P versus NP problem! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll need to finish my masterpiece painting and compose a new piece for the New York Philharmonic."

Cruiser1
2011-09-02, 02:10 AM
Scrying (3rd level Bard spell) would be a great choice. Spy on anybody, and more importantly do so safely and anonymously from your home (or from a safe government installation if you're working as a real spy).

Charm Monster (3rd level Bard spell again) is another good choice, and lasts for 1 day/level, so has more potential than Suggestion.

Feytalist
2011-09-02, 02:13 AM
Charm Monster (3rd level Bard spell again) is another good choice, and lasts for 1 day/level, so has more potential than Suggestion.

You know, the first time I read that as "Charm Mother" for some reason. Which would be the best spell in the world, ever.

Firechanter
2011-09-02, 02:14 AM
Here are some that would make it on my list:

Detect Thoughts (never again waste time trying to find out what a woman thinks)
Glibness
Knock
Tongues

Xyk
2011-09-02, 02:14 AM
I'd feel guilty if I didn't pick Remove Disease. But Fly is pretty tempting as well.

Drelua
2011-09-02, 02:18 AM
Gaseous Form is better than puppies. Walk in, grab something you want, go gas, escape out of ventilation.

True, but wouldn't it be cool to turn into a bird and fly over to your friends house? You'd save so much money on gas. Plus, if someone tries to mug me, well, guess what, they're about to find themself mugging a bear, or maybe a wolverine. Who's giving up their wallet now. Hint: they may also be giving up their spleen.

I'm guessing explotation of the fact that modern societies have fairly widespread sleep issues.

I hope you're right, but I can't see how you'd apply that. Unless you figured out how to make potions, you could only really use it on one person a day, though I guess if they were really rich...

Still, I'm only seeing one, very frightening possibility. As I typed that, it became 2 slightly different very frightening possibilities...

candycorn
2011-09-02, 02:19 AM
Scrying (3rd level Bard spell) would be a great choice. Spy on anybody, and more importantly do so safely and anonymously from your home (or from a safe government installation if you're working as a real spy).

Lasts longer, true, but I avoided the Charm line due to my bane, which is the opposed charisma check. A short term, light touch? That'll work for me.

True, but wouldn't it be cool to turn into a bird and fly over to your friends house? You'd save so much money on gas. Plus, if someone tries to mug me, well, guess what, they're about to find themself mugging a bear, or maybe a wolverine. Who's giving up their wallet now. Hint: they may also be giving up their spleen.

I'd prefer to Suggest that the influential person who just got videotaped in a very compromising position (engineered via Suggestion) would be much better served by keeping everything quiet with a very generous gift to my learjet fund.

See? Suggestion lasts a matter of hours... video recordings last a lifetime.

Geigan
2011-09-02, 02:20 AM
Prestidigiawesome or alter self. Maybe major image, no better tool for expressing your imagination.

Demons_eye
2011-09-02, 02:38 AM
Can't seem to find it anywhere but I vaguely remember a cleric spell that let you read 1 book/per level at a touch. Wouldn't be bad to have.

NNescio
2011-09-02, 02:44 AM
Can't seem to find it anywhere but I vaguely remember a cleric spell that let you read 1 book/per level at a touch. Wouldn't be bad to have.

Scholar's Touch, Races of Destiny. It's also on the Bard and Sorc/Wiz lists.

Circle of Life
2011-09-02, 02:47 AM
Probably demand. It's like suggestion, except anyone you're familiar with on the same plane. Attend a meet'n'greet with someone powerful (a president if you can somehow swing it, and you should be able to if you work your way up the political ladder with well-placed suggestions). Profit!

Edit: Oh, missed the 3rd level or lower part. Well, suggestion then.

SowZ
2011-09-02, 02:57 AM
Prestidigitation, no thought required.

Psyren
2011-09-02, 02:57 AM
Tongues. Just put it on your resume.

You'd either need Eschew Materials, or to take up sculpting to use it regularly though.

faceroll
2011-09-02, 03:54 AM
Staying on the lazy side... unseen servant.

Unseen Servant Horde.

LordBlades
2011-09-02, 04:08 AM
Suggestion definitely.

'Hey boss, I think I deserve a promotion'

Garwain
2011-09-02, 04:29 AM
Walk on Water? Instantly a new church is created. Donations here please.

Contagion? Fear me, as my touch will bring harm. Donations here please.

Radar
2011-09-02, 04:30 AM
Hmm... wasn't the first Anyspell available at 3rd level? :smallamused:

LordBlades
2011-09-02, 05:06 AM
Hmm... wasn't the first Anyspell available at 3rd level? :smallamused:

Anyspell wouldn't help much since you need a spellbook to prepare anything. And where would one find a spellbook in RL?

Vangor
2011-09-02, 05:19 AM
Fireball. What would I do with this? Throw balls of fire. Had a student ask me what is the first spell I would want were I a wizard, and I said, "As simple and uninteresting as the spell is, this is the standard for wizards. I would amuse myself endlessly being able to throw explosive orbs of flame."

Gandariel
2011-09-02, 05:45 AM
Lightning bolt (or Call Lightning for style), suggestion and Fly are tempting, but i'd probably go with Major image too.

Explosive runes though would be AWESOME

Killer Angel
2011-09-02, 06:20 AM
Don't forget prestidigitation. :smallcool:

Mezmote
2011-09-02, 07:27 AM
I'd grab Fly or Fireball. Maybe Glibness. Or for profit, Create food and water.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-02, 07:35 AM
Create food and water.Rather bland food, that. Most people will just go to McDonalds. Of course, there's a difference between "best choice for at-will" and "best choice for X timeframe"

I think I'm with the Cure Disease crowd, though. Could make a fortune, and you wouldn't be a parasite on the rest of society in doing so.

mucco
2011-09-02, 07:35 AM
Wish! Gogo duplicate lower level spells :smalltongue:

Lower level spells, Invisibility. It would be so much fun in certain... activities. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-09-02, 07:39 AM
Wish! Gogo duplicate lower level spells :smalltongue:

Lower level spells, Invisibility. It would be so much fun in certain... activities. :smallbiggrin:

Max spell level of 3 was specified in the OP. No Wish for you! Also, it wasn't specified if you needed components or not, so you might have trouble with the 5,000 XP cost.

Oh yes, and Divine Insight (Spell Compendium) could be crazy-useful as well.

Mezmote
2011-09-02, 07:50 AM
Rather bland food, that. Most people will just go to McDonalds. Of course, there's a difference between "best choice for at-will" and "best choice for X timeframe"

I'd still say create food and water would be the best spell for saving billions of lives. As far as I know, we can only feed 2/3 of the human population. Im sure that last 1/3 will do with even the meager standard of creature food and water. Not everyone can get to a McDonald if the nearest one is thousands of miles away.

Firechanter
2011-09-02, 08:00 AM
I'd still say create food and water would be the best spell for saving billions of lives.

CFW creates food and water for 3 persons per caster level. The OP did not specify how often you could cast your spell, but infinite times per day was certainly not the intention. Assuming you count as 5th level and get 2 casting per day, you can feed 30 persons with gruel every day. Not exactly billions.

Cure Disease or Cure Blindness/Deafness and similar spells might be a better way to help people and make a decent living out of it at the same time.

(And offtopic, on a more political note, we _could_ very well feed the entire world population; the problem is that in Europa and America we are destroying millions of tons of food surplus while in other parts of the world they don't have enough to meet basic demand.)

mucco
2011-09-02, 08:07 AM
CFW creates food and water for 3 persons per caster level. The OP did not specify how often you could cast your spell, but infinite times per day was certainly not the intention. Assuming you count as 5th level and get 2 casting per day, you can feed 30 persons with gruel every day. Not exactly billions.

That is why you make traps of it!

Caliphbubba
2011-09-02, 08:26 AM
+1 for Glibness, Detect Thoughts or Suggestion.

you can do a lot of good (or evil, or selfish as the case may be) with any one of the those.

and I know myself well enough that I'd probably use them to set myself up for life, and then start using them to better life for everyone.

and subtle is desireable in a situation like this I'm thinking, less chance you get your brain vivsceted to see how it works. lol *paranoid hat off*

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 08:28 AM
This is just out of interest, as often lots of people find cool utility spells and such, so the question is: What spell would you choose to have, of 3rd level or lower, divine or arcane?

I think i'd go with Alter Self

Cure Disease.

BlueInc
2011-09-02, 08:46 AM
Cure Disease.

The implications of Cure Disease IRL are astounding.

Even if you only used it for yourself, close friends and family, all of you would have a huge increase in quality of life and lifespan.

If you just set up a sign that said "Any disease cured $10,000," people would just think you were a scam, until you had documented evidence of healing hundreds or even thousands of people. Once you had that, your life would be on the line; every government and quasi-governmental organization would want you to keep their armies and leader in perfect health.

If you got your medical degree and became a general practice physician, you might be OK, but if you went into a high-paying field like oncology, your 100% success rate on patients with cancer would lose your hospital money and bring sharp scrutiny to your work. If you purposefully didn't heal people, you'd be subjecting hundreds of people to pain, fear and potential death if you didn't heal them in time.

Man.

Maybe I'll just get Summon Monster III. Me and a celestial ape could be pals :P

deuxhero
2011-09-02, 11:17 AM
Anyspell wouldn't help much since you need a spellbook to prepare anything. And where would one find a spellbook in RL?

Here! (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm)

Alterntely, give a link to a site to purchase SpC.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 11:51 AM
The implications of Cure Disease IRL are astounding.

Even if you only used it for yourself, close friends and family, all of you would have a huge increase in quality of life and lifespan.

Exactly. But, yknow, giant amounts of wealth and power would be fantastic.

If you just set up a sign that said "Any disease cured $10,000," people would just think you were a scam, until you had documented evidence of healing hundreds or even thousands of people. Once you had that, your life would be on the line; every government and quasi-governmental organization would want you to keep their armies and leader in perfect health.

More than that, it could be used to eradicate or stop the spread of obscure, but hard to cure diseases.

Definite wealth and power.

That said, Summon Monster 3 does get you a variety of SLAs. Not a bad choice.

Rimeheart
2011-09-02, 12:57 PM

I was thinking more like putting people to sleep and stealing from them... and they would have no memory of who stole from them.

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-02, 03:35 PM
Scholar's Touch would be nice for sure. I think I would go for suggestion/charm person or divine insight though instead.

vampire2948
2011-09-02, 04:09 PM
Fabricate. 3rd level spell on the Trapsmith's List.

Or, possibly, Dimension Door. 2nd level spell on the Trapsmith's list.

Elric VIII
2011-09-02, 04:46 PM
Bestow Curse. I could have so much fun with that. But, I'm a rather spiteful person, so...

Coidzor
2011-09-02, 04:55 PM
Bestow Curse. I could have so much fun with that. But, I'm a rather spiteful person, so...

After all, who wouldn't want to not have to deal with the terrible twos? :smallamused: Insta-weaning, even.

Icestorm245
2011-09-02, 05:06 PM
Shocking Grasp. Imagine the fun when shaking hands with new people!

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-02, 05:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned haste yet! The ability to move 120 ft in 6 seconds comfortably, and 240 ft in 6 seconds at a running pace would be crazy. Tack that on to everyone in a 30 ft radius...yeah. Haste has promise.

Speak with animals would be another personal favorite, as well as lesser dragonshape. If I could turn into a pseudodragon it would be amazing.

MightyPirate
2011-09-02, 05:56 PM
Gotta add Stone Shape in here somewhere. Would be nice to add or remove doors or walls wherever I like.

Also put me down for prestidigitation or invisibility. Presto needs no explanation and while invisibility can be countered in many ways it's very useful in any situation where said counters are not present, which is almost always.

Silva Stormrage
2011-09-02, 06:08 PM

I don't even want to know what the 50% chance to take an action would mean.... :smalleek: every 6 seconds you have a 50% chance of not being able to do anything for the next 6 seconds?

Jack_Simth
2011-09-02, 06:13 PM
I don't even want to know what the 50% chance to take an action would mean.... :smalleek: every 6 seconds you have a 50% chance of not being able to do anything for the next 6 seconds?Most of the "fun" would be from the "make up your own curse, no more powerful than the above" (which, you know, means something less powerful in game-mechanical terms, but funny, can be invented... like turning someone plaid, changing their gender, et cetera). Additionally, how you fluff things makes for a bit of sense. The 50% no action? Coughing fit, perhaps. Or getting distracted by a sound you can almost hear.

Das Platyvark
2011-09-02, 06:17 PM
Haste or Tongues.

Elboxo
2011-09-02, 06:43 PM
oh my god, i forgot all about Glibness! Now that would be my number 1 on the list, also i think Phantom Steed would be nice..... or Bottle of Smoke, though something to really intimidate people would be nice, all kinds of shenanigans could be had terrifying people, though maybe Major Image is best suited to that,

Explodingcube
2011-09-02, 07:26 PM
Mending. Three words: Junk Yard Profits:smallamused:

Wings of Peace
2011-09-02, 07:28 PM
Scholar's Touch.

SlashRunner
2011-09-02, 07:41 PM
Umm, guys... Guidance of the Avatar. It was already mentioned, but it hasn't been discussed enough. The ability to get +20 to your skill check multiple times per day is amazing. You could do virtually everything. You could solve the world's greatest questions by using Guidance of the Avatar on knowledge skills. You could easily beat the best-trained professionals at their own jobs. A natural 1 becomes a 20. It's insane, man. Insane.

Zonugal
2011-09-02, 07:41 PM
I think I'd go with Guidance of the Avatar. My life could suddenly be like Bradley Cooper's from Limitless (except without having to pop pills).

Profession checks become better, heal checks more effective, crafting checks more productive and knowledge checks more precise.

I could make a nice life through Craft (Writing) while acting as a foreign diplomat/ambassador (diplomacy checks, oh yeah...).

SlashRunner
2011-09-02, 08:37 PM
I think I'd go with Guidance of the Avatar. My life could suddenly be like Bradley Cooper's from Limitless (except without having to pop pills).

Profession checks become better, heal checks more effective, crafting checks more productive and knowledge checks more precise.

I could make a nice life through Craft (Writing) while acting as a foreign diplomat/ambassador (diplomacy checks, oh yeah...).

Nice? You would be an expert at everything. Your average result would be about a 30, plus any skill ranks/ability score bonuses you have. It would be ridiculous.

Zonugal
2011-09-02, 08:48 PM
Nice? You would be an expert at everything. Your average result would be about a 30, plus any skill ranks/ability score bonuses you have. It would be ridiculous.

Well not as ridiculous as curing every disease ever* or throwing fireballs around town.

As opposed to be pursued by government agents or terrorists, my ability could be masked in the subtly of, "That guy is just awesome at everything."

*Although based on where we compare real world diseases to something like Slimy Doom which turns people into infectious goo from the inside out I might be able to cure a fair bit of mundane diseases.

SlashRunner
2011-09-02, 08:58 PM
Well not as ridiculous as curing every disease ever* or throwing fireballs around town.

As opposed to be pursued by government agents or terrorists, my ability could be masked in the subtly of, "That guy is just awesome at everything."

*Although based on where we compare real world diseases to something like Slimy Doom which turns people into infectious goo from the inside out I might be able to cure a fair bit of mundane diseases.

Thing is, though, even if you could throw fireballs you could still be brought down by a few cops, and while curing disease directly is easier, you can still easily make the DC's for curing diseases with Heal using Guidance of the Avatar, and it can also be applied to virtually everything else (since pretty much everything you do in the modern world is dependent on skills).

Zonugal
2011-09-02, 09:00 PM
What I keep here is my choice is the best.

noiadodh
2011-09-02, 09:01 PM
PaO on my wife? :smallamused: oh wait, 3rd level or lower..

Tvtyrant
2011-09-02, 09:05 PM
Shrink Item. I suddenly just made the space program possible!*

*Shrink canisters of fuel, air and food. Unshrink when in space.

Coidzor
2011-09-02, 09:15 PM

Provides its own cover story, even. Lucky trip to Vegas leads to sound investing stratagems leads to going back to school, establishing credentials as an expert in a given field and as an all-around renaissance man besides.

Then provide funding to disease research, conveniently accelerating their progress greatly behind the scenes or spearheading it, whichever, and develop cures to diseases while revolutionizing the ability to mass-produce medical supplies...

Or devise a way to stop desertification and get it implemented.

Zonugal
2011-09-02, 09:17 PM
Provides its own cover story, even. Lucky trip to Vegas leads to sound investing stratagems leads to going back to school, establishing credentials as an expert in a given field and as an all-around renaissance man besides.

Then provide funding to disease research, conveniently accelerating their progress greatly behind the scenes or spearheading it, whichever, and develop cures to diseases while revolutionizing the ability to mass-produce medical supplies...

See, it is the best choice.

SiuiS
2011-09-02, 09:58 PM
I would have to take Anyspell.
Assuming caster level 6 (because I'm a spotaneous caster, why not!) and that magic is real enough for me to be getting access to Anyspell, going to the nearest neopagan and getting them to make me a book of shadows or similar, means that even if it's something that won't really work for them, it will for me.

Anyspell then goes on to solve my biggest problem when choosing a spell; do I want to be a shape-shifter, or do I want to fly? I can hav both! Alter self into an avariel, or just add wings (as I am of the opinion that alter self just allows you to mutate, as opposed to having a specific individual you become). An hour of sustained flight at quadruple my normal walking pace! Easiest monster change while LARPing! A happier girlfriend!
I could also find out, once and for all, whether I'm touched or not, by whether I can take a fey form. I'm hoping yes, due to magic being real, but we'll see...

And if flight or fancy aren't needed, I can prep an illusion for our weekly D&D game, or make my food tastier with prestidigitizing, or use bard as a loophole to close severe life-threatening wounds, or throw on a magewright when I just can't get that darn portrait to come out right. There is also access to stat buffs (I'd like to see the difference between my current Con and my Con+4, as well as with all the others).

Guidance of the avatar would let me do things better that I can already do. This let's me do things I could never otherwise do. And Scrying would just be too tempting to abuse, if I could afford the very expensive Scrying mirror!

I wonder. What would happen if, genius that you've become, you hit in the high 40's with your research (roll 20 +20 GotA +2 aid another +2 MW facility +1-3 Int. = 45-47) and you discover that cancer is about as curable as Caucasian, or left-handedness? That's always been my assumption; that cancer is an eventuality, and the gamble is whether or not you live long enough for it to matter.

SlashRunner
2011-09-02, 10:14 PM
I would have to take Anyspell.
Assuming caster level 6 (because I'm a spotaneous caster, why not!) and that magic is real enough for me to be getting access to Anyspell, going to the nearest neopagan and getting them to make me a book of shadows or similar, means that even if it's something that won't really work for them, it will for me.

Anyspell then goes on to solve my biggest problem when choosing a spell; do I want to be a shape-shifter, or do I want to fly? I can hav both! Alter self into an avariel, or just add wings (as I am of the opinion that alter self just allows you to mutate, as opposed to having a specific individual you become). An hour of sustained flight at quadruple my normal walking pace! Easiest monster change while LARPing! A happier girlfriend!
I could also find out, once and for all, whether I'm touched or not, by whether I can take a fey form. I'm hoping yes, due to magic being real, but we'll see...

And if flight or fancy aren't needed, I can prep an illusion for our weekly D&D game, or make my food tastier with prestidigitizing, or use bard as a loophole to close severe life-threatening wounds, or throw on a magewright when I just can't get that darn portrait to come out right. There is also access to stat buffs (I'd like to see the difference between my current Con and my Con+4, as well as with all the others).

Guidance of the avatar would let me do things better that I can already do. This let's me do things I could never otherwise do. And Scrying would just be too tempting to abuse, if I could afford the very expensive Scrying mirror!

I wonder. What would happen if, genius that you've become, you hit in the high 40's with your research (roll 20 +20 GotA +2 aid another +2 MW facility +1-3 Int. = 45-47) and you discover that cancer is about as curable as Caucasian, or left-handedness? That's always been my assumption; that cancer is an eventuality, and the gamble is whether or not you live long enough for it to matter.

Well, then, clearly we can cure cancer. Just look at Michael Jackson!

Zonugal
2011-09-02, 10:18 PM
With Guidance of the Avatar you would be able to achieve:

Quickly determine the value of common, rare, exotic and unique items.
Balance on a narrow surface two inches wide that is severely obstructed and slippery.
Move through a spare forest covered in snow & ice.
Balance on top of a horse or vehicle traveling over rough conditions.
Tell a lie that is almost too incredible to believe and be on equal footing for suspicion.
Secretly deliver a complex message.
Climb at an accelerated rate up a brick wall (or other semi-smooth wall).
Craft a complex item in any field.
Write a symphony or an epic novel (and thus bring in any where from 50gp to 500 gp...)
Decipher a difficult ancient message.
Make any one indifferent to me helpful, unfriendly to friendly and hostile to indifferent.
Disarm a complex trap with improvised tools.
Learn exotic information or learn the secretive & unknown aspects of any organization.
Track down anyone who is attempting to lay low in a Metropolis.
Rear and train a tiger, lion, polar bear, rhinoceros or elephant.
Determine the cause of death of someone (be it physical, environment or poison) a three to five days after they have died.
Make a standing long jump of fifteen feet or a running long jump of thirty feet.
Know very hard/obscure information about nearly any subject (as long as I have one skill point in the subject)
With proper facilities (assistants, a master book lot from Stronghold Builder's Guide and being a member of a Scholastic Guild from Cityscape) you will be hitting a DC of 50, which should be enough to revolutionize/innovate a field.
Design and build a great ship with a terrible crew and poor materials.
Set a course for a distant but seen once destination with an extremely poor chart.
Follow a course during an open ocean but stormy weather.
Find my way around an entire kingdom (nobility, bureaucratic, power-wise).
Hear an owl gliding in for the kill.
Hear people whispering through a stone wall fifty feet away.
Eavesdrop on people talking during a riot or people whispering in a busy tavern.
Open an average lock with improvised tools.
Put on an extraordinary performance in any form of artistic expression.
Notice a well-hidden secret door.
Always get a hunch if someone is trustworthy or suspicious.
Typically spot something 250 ft. away while distracted.
Read lips of a complex speech or inarticulate speaker.
Survive in the wilderness while providing food & water for ten people.
Keep from getting lost or avoid natural disasters in the wilderness.
Predict the weather up to three days in advance.
Survive on the open sea without provisions while providing for five people.
Track a party who has moved at half speed over hard ground which has been covered in snow ten days after the trail was made.
Swim stormy weather.

All of that seems pretty worth it and fairly versatility (and powerful) for one spell. I could go from ordinary to 80s action hero without even trying!

Coidzor
2011-09-02, 10:21 PM
^: Or potentially predict the weather six days in advance if you nat 20, an entire week if you have bonuses that add up to a +5. :smallbiggrin:

With sufficient spannering, anything is possible. Even if it means infesting our flesh with insane deathbotserr, I mean, nanites.

But it's harder to prove something is impossible than to prove that it's possible, so being able to conclusively show it's a waste of effort, freeing up those resources for some other use would still be a net gain.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-02, 10:21 PM
There are operable cancers. Is it inevitable that a few cells will go berserk and start multiplying without regard to survival of the organism as a whole? Perhaps. Can these cells be removed before they threaten the survival of the organism as a whole? In some cases with modern tech, absolutely. If you've got someone who can regularly pull off DC 40-50 (bearing in mind that Real Life is supposedly a magicless E6 game, essentially), removal of such in most cases should be possible.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-02, 10:23 PM
How many usages per day?

Endure Elements. Use it at the start each day. "It's hot? Didn't notice."
Protection From Energy. Who needs firefighter suits?
Haste.
Fly. Look at me!
Spider Climb. If I can get Eschew Materials, I'll take this. Actually, I should get Eschew Materials anyway.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-02, 10:25 PM
How many usages per day?

Haste.
Fly. Look at me!
Spider Climb. If I can get Eschew Materials, I'll take this. Actually, I should get Eschew Materials anyway.

Resist Energy. Regular fire is only 1d6/round, and Protection From Energy gets exhausted rather quickly.

But yes: The per/day and caster level of the selected spell is significant to such decisions.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-02, 10:29 PM
Resist Energy. Regular fire is only 1d6/round, and Protection From Energy gets exhausted rather quickly.

Ah, didn't bother to look at that. Thought it was just a weaker version of Protection From Energy.

SamBurke
2011-09-02, 10:37 PM
Detect Thoughts. You are now the ultimate TSA agent, no scanners necessary. Just kinda hide in the background, glancing through the crowd. BOOM!

Besides that, on a personal note: sit down and name five people you'd like to know the thoughts of.

Detect Thoughts.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-02, 10:38 PM
Ah, didn't bother to look at that. Thought it was just a weaker version of Protection From Energy.
No, they've very much different spells.

Protection From Energy is limited immunity; you get a pool of HP limited to damage from a specific element. When it's out, that element starts eating your real HP again.

Resist Energy gives you actual energy resistance, but at low values.

At caster level 5 (minimum for Protection from Energy), Protection from Energy gives you 60 points vs. Fire - in a mundane fire, you'll run out of that in... 17 rounds, on average. Energy Resistance will remain for the duration, and keep you safe from that 1d6 fire damage.

However, for a short exposure to an extreme case of an element (e.g., you need to fetch something out of a blast furnace), then Protection from Energy is better - because it will stop those two attacks at 30 points each, while Energy Resistance will only take 10 off the top of each.

So you use Energy Resistance for long-term, low-intensity hazards, and Protection from Energy for short-term, high-intensity hazards.

Zonugal
2011-09-02, 10:40 PM
Detect Thoughts. You are now the ultimate TSA agent, no scanners necessary. Just kinda hide in the background, glancing through the crowd. BOOM!

Besides that, on a personal note: sit down and name five people you'd like to know the thoughts of.

Detect Thoughts.

I'd rather not, some thoughts are meant to be silent.

Coidzor
2011-09-02, 11:17 PM
How many usages per day?

Haste.
Fly. Look at me!

Well, there's a thought. How many low level spells would it take the use of, say along the lines of a warlock's invocations, in order to be a super hero IRL?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-02, 11:24 PM
Well, there's a thought. How many low level spells would it take the use of, say along the lines of a warlock's invocations, in order to be a super hero IRL?

At-will? Just one for minor superpowers. A few for moderate, because the guy with Fly, Haste, Bull's Strength, and Cure Serious Wounds is pretty powerful. Major superheroes have 6+.

Coidzor
2011-09-02, 11:38 PM
^: Hmm, question does need a bit of focus, yeah...
With Guidance of the Avatar you would be able to achieve:

Balance on top of a horse or vehicle traveling over rough conditions.
Disarm a complex trap with improvised tools.
Open an average lock with improvised tools.
Put on an extraordinary performance in any form of artistic expression.
Typically spot something 250 ft. away while distracted.

Why...Why didn't I realize this connection sooner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE)?

Swan Dive into Awesome. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175468)

NNescio
2011-09-02, 11:45 PM
At-will? Just one for minor superpowers. A few for moderate, because the guy with Fly, Haste, Bull's Strength, and Cure Serious Wounds is pretty powerful. Major superheroes have 6+.

Batman is a major superhero right? IIRC the term doesn't necessarily require the presence of superhuman powers (or at least that's how Jack Kirby used it). At-will Guidance of the Avatar can pretty much replicate most of Batman abilities.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 11:52 PM
See, here's my problem with Detect Thoughts. Most thoughts, I really don't want to detect. They are either boring, or something Id rather not hear. Sure, it'd occasionally be fantastic, but I'm not sure it would make up for the other times.

Now, Blessing of the Avatar...are we assuming this is at-will? Because it's single check, so if it's say, 1/day, you have some tough decisions to make. Oh, it's still good, mind you...but you only have one check of awesome per day.

On the flip side, if it's at will, I can literally end major diseases personally. By staying up for one 24 hour period, I could literally cure 144,000 people. I could take trips to cure everyone in small NATIONS of illness. I've got the skill points already to parley this into ridiculous wealth and power, plus fantastic security. With a bargaining position like that, it wouldn't even be hard.

Of course...is it only me getting this power, or is everyone on giantitp getting one power? Cause that changes the stealth factor a bit.

Delcor
2011-09-03, 12:15 AM
Fly!

Because you would never have to park a car, and it would be so much fun!

Elboxo
2011-09-03, 12:25 AM
Since people have been asking the questions here are some limitations:
1) Only YOU get have this power, everyone else is commoners, albeit smart commoners in some cases
2) You can only cast the spell a maximum number of times per day equal to the minimum amount it takes to cast, assuming you are using a caster that prepares spells, from a spell list ( Only bards can use the bard spell list - without optimization - therefore bard spells per day and bard spells are viable, but being a sorcerer for extra spells/day doesn't count. You have the minimum ability score to cast the spell, so you don't get extra spells/day or a higher DC for offensive spells from having a higher stat. For this assume you have 13 in your casting stat ( Enough to cast 3rd level spells )

The purpose of this was to draw out the most fun, but useful spell for use in real life, the limitations means it has to really make up for the lack of times per day. Everything in moderation!

Another cool one could be giant's wrath ( I think it's called that )
Skip stones, they turn into boulders and keep flying across the lake... xD

Zale
2011-09-03, 02:44 AM
Any of the Summon Monster spells would be fun for me.

Or Sanctuary could be interesting. Magic Vestment also.

Oh and Gaseous Form! Because I'm to afraid of heights to go with fly.

Firechanter
2011-09-03, 04:16 AM
If everyone else has crappy saves, I'd be tempted to take Charm Monster as a Bard spell. It also works on people.

Coidzor
2011-09-03, 04:38 AM
With those restrictions in place, something that can be stockpiled, like charm monster, does seem to gain something of an advantage in terms of attractiveness.

Crasical
2011-09-03, 05:02 AM
Benevolent: Cure Disease

Artistic: Major Image
Social: Suggestion
Mechanical: Repair serious damage

Malevolent: Detect Evil, a crowded area, and a silenced rifle

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-03, 09:04 AM
I think I'd get the most use out of Shrink Item. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkItem.htm)
Packing for overseas trips: fit your whole closet into your carry on bag.
Packing for an extended hiking trip? Never worry about leaving the wrong thing behind.
Turn some jerk's motorcycle into a tiny plushie? Fun!
Bring my claymore anywhere I want? Yes please. :smallsmile:

After that one: Tongues.

Though this Guidance of the Avatar spell sounds pretty boss. What book is it from? :smallconfused:

Wardog
2011-09-03, 09:50 AM
If you got your medical degree and became a general practice physician, you might be OK, but if you went into a high-paying field like oncology, your 100% success rate on patients with cancer would lose your hospital money and bring sharp scrutiny to your work.

You could work in a hospital in a country with a public heath service, or a charity hospital.

I was thinking more like putting people to sleep and stealing from them... and they would have no memory of who stole from them.

As, classic comic-book minor villain thinking:
"I will use my awe-inspiring powers/tech/intellect to... rob banks! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!"

I'm not sure what my choice would be. Some sort of teleport ability is something I've always thought would be really handy, and would have been my choice, but it's too high a level. Fly is probably the closest in use and utility.

TurtleKing
2011-09-03, 09:56 AM
Ok here are two that I could go for either. Locate Object. Can't find your car in a parking lot? Not anymore. Useful without the attracting governments attention.

Others are Water Breathing able to dive down longer than other without having to worry about air. Rope Trick for when you need a short getaway. Arcane Lock for those things you don't want anyone else to get into. Feather Fall for all of your falling needs. Magic Missile never having to worry about being armed or not plus don't need to worry about accuracy.

SlashRunner
2011-09-03, 10:56 AM
{Scrubbed}

Jack_Simth
2011-09-03, 12:03 PM
Since people have been asking the questions here are some limitations:
1) Only YOU get have this power, everyone else is commoners, albeit smart commoners in some cases
2) You can only cast the spell a maximum number of times per day equal to the minimum amount it takes to cast, assuming you are using a caster that prepares spells, from a spell list ( Only bards can use the bard spell list - without optimization - therefore bard spells per day and bard spells are viable, but being a sorcerer for extra spells/day doesn't count. You have the minimum ability score to cast the spell, so you don't get extra spells/day or a higher DC for offensive spells from having a higher stat. For this assume you have 13 in your casting stat ( Enough to cast 3rd level spells )
So 1/day and CL 5 for 3rd level spells; 1/day and CL 3 for 2nd level spells, 2/day and CL 1 for 1st level spells, 3/day and CL 1 for 0th level spells... unless they're Bard spells, in which case, it's 0/day and CL 7 for 3rd level spells, 0/day and CL 4 for 2nd level spells, 1/day and CL 2 for 1st level spells, and 2/day at CL 1 for 0th level spells.

So no Sorcerer-only spells to get more uses/day? OK... yeah, Guidance of the Avatar would probably be close to the best choice, then.

Ormur
2011-09-03, 12:03 PM
If people want money and pick some spell with an obviously supernatural effect (glibness, guidance of the avatar and such probably wouldn't register) you don't have to worry about money too much if you just want to have fun or do some good, you can always take part in James Randi's One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge. Personally though I'd feel pretty bad about validating every paranormal loony there is.

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-03, 03:04 PM
{Scrubbed}

noparlpf
2011-09-03, 03:42 PM
Cure Serious Wounds.
I am the type to get hurt frequently. My overactive lifestyle may have something to do with this. (Today I only came off with a cut foot and a mild concussion.)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-03, 03:46 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

What? Providing a link doesn't seem rude in the least. Your reaction seems over the top and knee-jerkish about how he provided a link instead of telling them to go find it on their own.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-03, 03:50 PM
What? Providing a link doesn't seem rude in the least. Your reaction seems over the top and knee-jerkish about how he provided a link instead of telling them to go find it on their own.
The link pretty much says go find it on your own.

SlashRunner
2011-09-03, 04:03 PM
{Scrubbed}

Squiggles
2011-09-03, 04:25 PM
I would have to vote for Servant Horde and I would start my own business with my plentiful free labor.

Housework? Nope, they're on it.

I would probably buy a palanquin and make them carry me everywhere

Elboxo
2011-09-03, 06:47 PM
Benevolent: Cure Disease

Artistic: Major Image
Social: Suggestion
Mechanical: Repair serious damage

Malevolent: Detect Evil, a crowded area, and a silenced rifle

I think if you were hunting for evil people you'd end up shooting half the crowd....

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-03, 08:30 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

I apologize for overreacting. Let Me Google That For You is one of my least favorite sites on the Internet, as the only times I see it dragged out is when someone is trying to point out that another person is an idiot.

Being someone who is familiar with search engines I did run a Google search for Guidance of the Avatar, and from the results on page one I didn't find what book the spell was from. It seemed odd that so many people would be praising a spell that's not from any published book, so I thought I'd ask the community what book the spell was from.

sreservoir
2011-09-03, 10:30 PM
I apologize for overreacting. Let Me Google That For You is one of my least favorite sites on the Internet, as the only times I see it dragged out is when someone is trying to point out that another person is an idiot.

Being someone who is familiar with search engines I did run a Google search for Guidance of the Avatar, and from the results on page one I didn't find what book the spell was from. It seemed odd that so many people would be praising a spell that's not from any published book, so I thought I'd ask the community what book the spell was from.

when literally the first result is "Dungeons & Dragons - Spellbook - Guidance of the Avatar" with a wizards.com url? I don't know, I find that a bit hard to believe.

I'd go for heroics. there are few problems that cannot be solved with at least one low-level maneuver, assuming I have a defined IL.

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-04, 06:08 AM
:smallsigh: I'm aware of what the first link is. I read the entry on Wizards' site. It doesn't list an original source for the spell. So I was confused about what book the spell was from. Apparently the spell is a web-only spell from Wizards. I get that now.

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-09-04, 09:48 AM
Hideous Laughter, then climb the ranks of fame and fortune as a stand up comedian.

"Hey dude, you suck!"
"So does your momma.."
*Heckler falls to the floor in hysterics*