PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Spell List Summary Help

DemonRoach
2011-09-02, 06:37 AM
Hi people, I'm about to start in a new campaign with a new group, one of the players is my newbie gf who wants to play a Mage.

I'm knocking together a Human Sorcerer, and would like opinions/critique of the below spell selection and the summaries given. I will be there for any details that rock up, just seeing if I've made any major screw ups (I haven't done a lot of play with Mages).

For other relevant details:

The Campaign starts at 5th level.
She has 18 Charisma.
Starting feats are Heighten Spell, Versatile Spellcaster, Improved Initiative.

And the rest of the party as I know it:

Human Factotum (Me, party skill monkey)
Dwarf Barbarian
Catfolk Cleric (Don't ask...)
Yet to select
This Sorcerer

And without further ado, the aforementioned spell summary. You might need to give me a bit to edit the format properly.

Cheers!

Level 2 – 5 times a day (DC = 16)

• Glitterdust – A 10 feet area within 150 feet gets swamped with glitter. People get blinded and if invisible become obvious.
• Invisibility – Make a person invisible for 5 minutes.

Level 1 – 7 times a day (DC = 15)

• Expeditious Retreat – For 5 minutes run really, really fast.
• Grease – Make a 10 foot area or a person within 35 feet get covered in slippery grease.
• Mage Armour – Give people/yourself a personal force field for 5 hours.
• Magic Missile – Fire magic rays at people! Fires three rays at once, range 150 feet, auto hits.

Level 0 – 7 times a day (DC = 14)

• Detect Magic – Concentrate and you’ll find anything magic within 50 feet.
• Ghost Sound – Create some noise 35 feet, can be as loud/quiet/receding as twelve humans could make for a minute.
• Light – Make a torch for 50 minutes.
• Mage Hand – Small amount of telekinesis (2.5 kilos of force) for as long as you focus on it.
• Message – Whisper to people 150 feet from you for 50 minutes.
• Read Magic – Read magical writing/runes/etc for 50 minutes.

EDIT: List changed to make it legal....

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-02, 07:40 AM
That spell list looks good. Once he gets the hang of it give him a metamagic rod of shapeing and let him play with that for a while. As a new player advise him away from just fireing magic missle a lot.

Runestar
2011-09-02, 08:01 AM
You should know only 2 2nd lv spells and 4 1st lv spells at 5th lv. I assume your slots/day don't factor in bonus spells from a high cha?

Glitterdust is always a good choice, mirror image for protection is not bad, wouldn't change it.

Charm person isn't really all that useful. You will probably want mage armour, grease, magic missile and maybe colour spray.

Featwise, heighten seems wasted at this juncture. Maybe replace it with extend (paving the way for sculpt spell at 6th lv?)

gbprime
2011-09-02, 08:37 AM
Good so far.

Remember, when she gets into damaging spells later, you have to approach them in one of three ways.

Take a variety of different energy types so someone with resistance to one doesn't shut you down, or
Take a single energy type and a feat or PrC to enhance it so that energy resistance does not apply. (Energy Substitution, Searing Spell, Sanctified One of Kord...)
Avoid the problem altogether and skip energy spells completely.

DemonRoach
2011-09-02, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the replies! :smallsmile:

Runestar, you are in fact correct, I mixed up the bonus for the high Charisma, will fix after this post.

Part of the snips from that will be to drop Charm Person.

I imagine as leveling up occurs I'll be back again :smallwink:

Thanks people :smallbiggrin: