PDA

View Full Version : Casting Multiple Spells

Deimess
2011-09-02, 10:11 AM
What does it take to cast more than one spell in a round?

I would say that casting your average spell takes 3 things:
Concentration, something somatic, and something verbal

So say you have an ettin with four arms. He is able to simultaneously concentrate, wave his arms, and speak two different things. Could that mean he could cast 2 spells in one round?

I realize that Quicken Spell lets you cast a spell as a passing thought, so this is something else entirely, but I'm trying to come up with a way to cast multiple spells without quicken spell (could this beast cast 2 quickened spells though?)

If this was so, could a creature capable on concentrating on 2 different things use still/silent spell to cast two spells in one round? 3 with quicken?

I know there are some action shinnanigins and prestige classes but I'm talking about non-class feature oriented stuff.

Flickerdart
2011-09-02, 10:17 AM
So say you have an ettin with four arms. He is able to simultaneously concentrate, wave his arms, and speak two different things. Could that mean he could cast 2 spells in one round?

Yes! There is specifically a feat for this - a creature with two heads that meets its ridiculous prerequisites can cast two regular spells per round.

Otherwise, you're limited to one spell per standard action short of Arcane Fusion shenanigans.

Re: Two Quickened spells, you can only cast one Quickened spell per turn without the Epic feat.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-02, 10:30 AM
I think Spell weavers (MM II or III) can cast up to 6 spell levels (6 level 1 spells, or 3 level two or any combination of spells that add up to 6 spell levels) per round. so Polymorphing into one and using either Metamorphic Transfer or Assume Supernatural Ability might work.

Greenish
2011-09-02, 10:37 AM
Without extra actions or other shenanigans, the highest amount of spells you can get off during a round is four: one with one round cast time you started casting the last round (finishes just before your turn), one as a standard action, one as a swift action, and one as an immediate action (just after your turn).

Alleran
2011-09-02, 10:40 AM
Without extra actions or other shenanigans, the highest amount of spells you can get off during a round is four:
Would you count taking levels in Beholder Mage as shenanigans? They just abuse spellcasting with free actions.

Circle of Life
2011-09-02, 10:43 AM
The Spellflower spell from Spell Compendium allows you to hold one touch spell per limb, which is... kinda the same thing? Sorta.

Something to look into anyway.

Greenish
2011-09-02, 10:59 AM
Would you count taking levels in Beholder Mage as shenanigans?:smallamused:

Deimess
2011-09-02, 12:00 PM
Would you count taking levels in Beholder Mage as shenanigans? They just abuse spellcasting with free actions.

I know there are some action shinnanigins and prestige classes but I'm talking about non-class feature oriented stuff.

Yes.

I don't mean swift action spells, or full-round spells. And I know about spellweavers, they are what brought up my curiousity actually, but I figgured since they are an "enigmatic" race and it's a Special Attack that it didn't count.

So, even if a being could cast 2 standard spells in one round, it can still only cast 1 quickened spell?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-02, 01:04 PM
Yes.

I don't mean swift action spells, or full-round spells. And I know about spellweavers, they are what brought up my curiousity actually, but I figgured since they are an "enigmatic" race and it's a Special Attack that it didn't count.

So, even if a being could cast 2 standard spells in one round, it can still only cast 1 quickened spell?

At first Quickened spell were a special free action which could only be used once per turn; but with the Miniature Handbook and/or complete arcane, which introduced the concept of swift actions, they were changed into swift actions which you only have 1 of per turn.

Deimess
2011-09-02, 03:43 PM
At first Quickened spell were a special free action which could only be used once per turn; but with the Miniature Handbook and/or complete arcane, which introduced the concept of swift actions, they were changed into swift actions which you only have 1 of per turn.

That makes a lot more sense, and since I don't have those books it would've taken me awhile to catch that.