PDA

View Full Version : Equiping an epic wizard

mamothpriest
2011-09-02, 10:17 AM
Hi there playgrounders.

I'm playing in an epic campaign right now that is coming to a close. We just hit lvl 40 and our dm just sprung this magical bit of information on me:

starting this next session, we can have whatever magical gear we want, for free, as much as we want, as long as there's no homebrew.

I'm sitting here like a kid in a candy store trying to decide on the most insane set of magic items ever. I need help comming up with interesting, powerful choices of stuff to take.

All suggestions are wellcome! Thanks in advance everybody

faceroll
2011-09-02, 10:25 AM
The Diablo II Diablerie has like 5 different items that can all give you a +6 untyped bonus to your intelligence.

mamothpriest
2011-09-02, 10:35 AM
What the devil (no pun intended) is that source? I have just about all of the Wotc material for 3.5 so let's please stick to that lol

Alleran
2011-09-02, 10:37 AM
starting this next session, we can have whatever magical gear we want, for free, as much as we want, as long as there's no homebrew.
Shannara setting. The Black Elfstone. Found in Dragon Magazine #286 or so.

It's a Major Artifact. Basically works like this:

1) Hits the target with an energy drain (Fort DC 30 to resist).
2) Any magical items, supernatural or spell-like abilities (or spells) the creature has are drained completely (spells can be re-memorised, the rest return after one day).
3) Permanently bestows you with the drained abilities (i.e. you count as being equipped with the magic items but don't have them take up any slots, you have the SLAs as the creature would have them, you have the supernatural abilities, you have the spell effects the creature was under).
4) Make a DC 20 Will save to keep from going irrevocably insane.

Get that artifact, add a few dozen Candles of Invocation, a magic item that lets you take a nat 20 on a check 1/day (I know I've seen it somewhere in a book, I just can't find it right now), and start using them to Gate in whatever creature you need the abilities of and command them to stand still while you suck them dry (they'll recover from the level loss and/or get their abilities back eventually, so it's no real loss to them in the long run). Gain unlimited power.

mamothpriest
2011-09-02, 10:44 AM
Shannara setting. The Black Elfstone. Found in Dragon Magazine #286 or so.

this is so rediculously on the list. I've been trying to figure out a way to make that bloody stone for a long time and it seems dragon beat me to it!

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 11:03 AM
Well, the correct answer is "all of them".

Use the black stone and some chump target to wear all the magic items at once.

Win at everything forever.

mootoall
2011-09-02, 11:04 AM
Vest of the Archmagi. So much.

faceroll
2011-09-02, 11:20 AM
Slotless rings of wizardry I through IX.

CTrees
2011-09-02, 11:28 AM
Head of Vecna :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-02, 11:29 AM
Epic item of +yes to spellcraft. MIC doesn't put a cap on the maximum bonus granted, just an formula for calculateing cost.

Unlimited use item of persisted timestop. Pause buttom for the universe. Stop and reserch the perfect spell for whatever you need. Carry a few hundred libraries in bags of holding so you have all your reserch material on hand.

Steward
2011-09-02, 11:30 AM

That item doesn't do anything and it's practically a TPK trying to figure out how to get it to work outside of an undead campaign. Get the Hand instead.

Alleran
2011-09-02, 11:30 AM
I was always more fond of the Third Rib On The Right Side of Vecna, myself.

Tyndmyr
2011-09-02, 11:45 AM
Epic item of +yes to spellcraft. MIC doesn't put a cap on the maximum bonus granted, just an formula for calculateing cost.

Just spellcraft? Come now...all things. If any stat is not +yes, you're doing it wrong.

Also, ask how many ioun stones it takes to claim cover from them.

I'm curious about what the campaign is now.

Diarmuid
2011-09-02, 12:22 PM
So does "no homebrew" mean you cant have anything that's not explicitly listed in a book as an item?

If so, you're pretty limited but should still be OK with many of the suggestions already given. It just makes slotless, or multiple abilities in 1 slot type things difficult.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-02, 12:26 PM
An item of at will every spell ever.

failing that - a haversack of tons of scrolls of every spell ever.

Cog
2011-09-02, 12:40 PM
Make sure you get the Third Rib Counting from the Top. The Third Rib Counting from the Bottom on the Right Side of Vecna is a horrible trap. Seriously, only one use per day?

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-02, 12:44 PM
Vecna's grab bag of bodyparts. Goodies for the whole family!

Madcrafter
2011-09-02, 05:37 PM
Why don't you just pick up a full set of all the magic gear in the Epic Level Handbook, 20 of every item in the DMG and MIC, with extras of all the charged and single use items? Seems like since you have no restrictions (I guess you can't get any mundane gear, so no 10ft pole). Just get one of those magical scrollcases from MoE, a Hewards Haversack, and all those items that let you find stuff quickly, and go to town ripping the universe to shreds.

I'm intrigued as to why your DM is doing this.

Wings of Peace
2011-09-02, 06:39 PM
The Diablo II Diablerie has like 5 different items that can all give you a +6 untyped bonus to your intelligence.

*High-fives you for knowing about the Diablerie.*

Das Platyvark
2011-09-02, 06:44 PM
Spleen of Vecna.

ThirdEmperor
2011-09-02, 06:52 PM

Spleen of Vecna.

Vecna's grab bag of bodyparts. Goodies for the whole family!

You people. He has access to unlimited magic items. And you want him to waste it on an eye here, a spleen there.

I say, just buy the whole Vecna. Takes up less equipment slots.:smalltongue:

elonin
2011-09-02, 09:22 PM
I'm wondering how Vecna feels about having his body treated like bargin basement items at the magic item emporium?

I'm aware of the hand and eye of Vecna being statted out as items but was unaware of the other items. Also how much of your body do you have to leave so that you arein't really just Vecna?

edit... BTW don't forget your own head of an eye of fear and flame. I'm guessing that at this level you can find a way to intimidate it.

mamothpriest
2011-09-02, 09:51 PM
BTW don't forget your own head of an eye of fear and flame. I'm guessing that at this level you can find a way to intimidate it.

You know, my character is just chaotic evil enough to make an attempt at that very idea... :biggrin:

We've been playing this campaign for a year now and we're all somewhat anxious for the impending ending. I think it's due to the fact that he wants this to be a grand finale that our DM is giving us such a ridiculous amount of gear. We must be up against an alliance of gods or and elder god or something. All I know for sure is we're dealing with the old "save the world" ploy.

just to give a brief reflection of the more entertaining party members we have, mind you we're all lvl 40:

Faerhed (me): the CE Gnome wizard/bard/shadowcraft mage/ultimate magus, who up until 3 sessions ago was CG but suffered a mental breakdown due to some of the horrible, horrible things he has seen throughout this adventure.

Garreth: CN human favored soul of Tempus who enjoys summoning elemental monoliths in inopportune areas for the general public

and lastly
Timmy Stitchenson: CE Lich (human) Dread necromancer. Now this normally doesn't sound out of the usual or anything, but Timmy is a special case. Timmy stitchenson is a 10-year old boy who woke up one morning, at least 50 years ago, to find himself undead. He also loves kittens.