PDA

View Full Version : Monk Rules Clarification

Viking_Mage
2011-09-02, 01:38 PM
Okay, I'm acutely aware of how much monk threads are overdone here, but one of the players in my new campaign wants to play one.

I'm trying to convince him to at least play a grapple monk as its better than flurry of blows monk or stunning fist monk, but in doing so, the GM is at a loss of why flurry is bad. His curiosity is where is the actual rule where a monk can't flurry while taking a movement. I read the flurry rules in the monk section and it doesn't actually say anywhere that it only happens during a full attack action. So, where is the rule?

Thank you in advance.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-02, 01:39 PM
Last sentence of the first paragraph:
A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

phlidwsn
2011-09-02, 01:40 PM
Okay, I'm acutely aware of how much monk threads are overdone here, but one of the players in my new campaign wants to play one.

I'm trying to convince him to at least play a grapple monk as its better than flurry of blows monk or stunning fist monk, but in doing so, the GM is at a loss of why flurry is bad. His curiosity is where is the actual rule where a monk can't flurry while taking a movement. I read the flurry rules in the monk section and it doesn't actually say anywhere that it only happens during a full attack action. So, where is the rule?

Thank you in advance.

Last sentence of the first paragraph of Flurry of Blows: A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

Edit: Found on PHB pg40, 2nd column, 2nd to last paragraph on page.

SowZ
2011-09-02, 01:42 PM

Thank you in advance.

Honestly, because they are unarmored warriors based on mobility I don't care. Monks can FoB as a standard action. I'll give a plus one to hit if an FoB is used as part of a full round action to give an advantage to doing so. FoB sucks anyway, you can give him that much.

Frosty
2011-09-02, 02:22 PM
You also need to remind the DM to give "Proficiency: Unarmed Strike" to the Monk for free so the Monk doesn't suffer a -4 to all unarmed strikes.

Metahuman1
2011-09-02, 08:39 PM
Also point out that 1d20+str-2 is way lower the the cleric, druid or rouge is gonna be swinging four at start, and since your suppose to be a warrior, this is not acceptable. More so since they'll be matching or exceeding you in damage.

NecroRick
2011-09-03, 12:49 AM
You should consider having the character start a monastery. Each Monk in turn (bonus points for naming them all Keni) designates the monastery as his beneficiary. Then when he dies his wealth goes back to the monastery, who will use it to outfit the next clone from the vats monk, and eventually after running through 15-20 of them he will be able to afford magic items on a par with what everyone else gets.

Flickerdart
2011-09-03, 01:15 AM

Thank you in advance.
Grapple monk sucks more - the low BAB and lack of Strength focus means that your grapple modifier is pathetic compared to things you want to grapple, and by the time that you can overcome this, freedom of movement makes you obsolete. Stunning's decent against things not immune, and extra attacks are always nice. As long as your friend has entered a good PrC by 7th level, he should be able to do a decent job of not dying horribly too often.

candycorn
2011-09-03, 02:22 AM
Monk is a great class... to dip. For example: Monk 2 / Psychic Warrior 4.

All the best parts of monk and very little of the poor things.

Let him know that many things make a monk, and none of them is the word in the class section at the top of his sheet. Psychic Warrior is very good at getting the feel of the monk, as is swordsage.

Greenish
2011-09-03, 08:17 AM
You should consider having the character start a monastery. Each Monk in turn (bonus points for naming them all Keni) designates the monastery as his beneficiary. Then when he dies his wealth goes back to the monastery, who will use it to outfit the next clone from the vats monk, and eventually after running through 15-20 of them he will be able to afford magic items on a par with what everyone else gets.15-20? You have a taste for cheap magic items, then, seeing that monk's starting wealth is 5d4 gp (or thereabouts).