PDA

View Full Version : A tiny creature wants to attacks an other tiny creature...

etrpgb
2011-09-02, 04:51 PM
I was reading the 3.5 DMG pg. 29 rules about Big and Little creatures in combat.

I have a problem, a tiny creature has 0 of reach, so it must enter the enemy square to attack it. But in the Mixing It Up we read: ``Two creatures less than two size categories apart cannot occupy the same spaces in combat except under special circumstances...[...]'

So ours tiny creature cannot enter the space of another tiny creature, a Diminutive or a Small creature.

It means we cannot have a fight between tiny creatures since they cannot reach each other?

Secondly, a creature that is inside the square of another gives flank chance to other creatures that might attack?

Thanks

Cog
2011-09-02, 04:56 PM
It means we cannot have a fight between tiny creatures since they cannot reach each other?
For a game that started out as humans, elves, and dwarves going up against goblins, orcs, and ogres, the situation of tiny creatures fighting each other counts as "special circumstances".

Secondly, a creature that is inside the square of another gives flank chance to other creatures that might attack?
Nope.

etrpgb
2011-09-02, 04:57 PM
For a game that started out as humans, elves, and dwarves going up against goblins, orcs, and ogres, the situation of tiny creatures fighting each other counts as "special circumstances".

The same is for a Tiny and a Small? That is worse since the small can indeed attack the tiny.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-02, 04:59 PM
This is a situation unlikely to come up in a "normal" game, so your going to have to homebrew it.

Cog
2011-09-02, 05:01 PM
"Special circumstances", as in the rules you quoted - meaning they should be able to occupy the same square. The rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) say they take up less than one square of space; you could fit up to four tiny creatures in a single square, or 25 diminutive, or 100 fine, assuming they're all standing on the floor.

flabort
2011-09-02, 05:04 PM
This brings a funny image to mind.
Two fairies, having a catfight and clawing at the air between eachother, because for some unknown reason they JUST CAN'T GET CLOSE. To compound things, their fighting over a male mate, who they can't get close to anyways, either.

...Yeah, just say they can. Divide squares into "quarters", and let them have a quarter-square reach, if you have to, but that is one of the least efficient ways to do it. I'd recommend something simpler. But yes, you're going to have to 'brew it, if I read right.

etrpgb
2011-09-02, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys, the SRD is indeed more clear than DMG.

I guess it is not a such good idea to play a Petal rogue... oh, well I will play a petal Bard.

Tvtyrant
2011-09-02, 05:39 PM
If you really wanted to make it crazy better, make the whole game based off of fine sized blocks and medium creatures take up like 128 spaces :P

137beth
2011-09-02, 05:46 PM
Tiny vs. tiny works RAW, I think, because they both occupy 1/4 of a square, they are not in the same space, but they ARE in the same square, and can attack each other.

But tiny vs. SMALL does not work by RAW, since, as you said, the small creature can attack the tiny creature, but not vice versa. At this point, just homebrew it.

TheRinni
2011-09-02, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys, the SRD is indeed more clear than DMG.

I guess it is not a such good idea to play a Petal rogue... oh, well I will play a petal Bard.

Ranged Petal rogues are a forced to be reckoned with. But, with their minuses to Str, and their tiny size, its probably best to avoid melee.