PDA

View Full Version : Medium Armor or No Armor (or, help keep my level 1 archivist alive)

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 06:29 PM
I'm playing a level one Archivist in an adventure described as a pure dungeon crawl. At present, my stats (specifically, my strength and dex of 5) suggest that I'm not going to last very long, but I like the idea of playing an old character and am wondering if it's possible to optimize such a character to at least not die in a fight so I'm around to heal afterwards.

Right now, I'm torn between burdening myself with medium armor or going sans armor so I can run faster. Really, my saves are all right thanks to Insightful Reflexes, so if there's a way to bump my AC or otherwise keep from dying the first time something punches me, I'm all ears.

Goldfly
2011-09-02, 08:23 PM
I'm playing a level one Archivist in an adventure described as a pure dungeon crawl. At present, my stats (specifically, my strength and dex of 5) suggest that I'm not going to last very long, but I like the idea of playing an old character and am wondering if it's possible to optimize such a character to at least not die in a fight so I'm around to heal afterwards.

Right now, I'm torn between burdening myself with medium armor or going sans armor so I can run faster. Really, my saves are all right thanks to Insightful Reflexes, so if there's a way to bump my AC or otherwise keep from dying the first time something punches me, I'm all ears.

With 5 dex, there is no real penalty to wearing the heaviest armor possible. As such, you should definitely do so. Races of Stone has armor with some really high AC bonuses; I would recommend at least checking them out.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-02, 08:26 PM
...Light armor?

NNescio
2011-09-02, 08:30 PM
With 5 dex, there is no real penalty to wearing the heaviest armor possible. As such, you should definitely do so. Races of Stone has armor with some really high AC bonuses; I would recommend at least checking them out.

ACP. You take the penalty to all attack rolls as well for non-proficient armour. And all Strength and Dexterity-based skills, for that matter. Plus the aforementioned speed decrease.

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 08:44 PM
The only issue is that I can't afford RoS armor. I have 110 gp, basically; 125 gp at start, 15 of which went to a spellprayerbook. I'm limited to what if anything can keep me alive out of that.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-02, 08:54 PM
The only issue is that I can't afford RoS armor. I have 110 gp, basically; 125 gp at start, 15 of which went to a spellprayerbook. I'm limited to what if anything can keep me alive out of that.

Why can't you just get light armor?

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 08:56 PM
I could, but I'm wondering whether it's an acceptable tradeoff in terms of encumbrance.

NNescio
2011-09-02, 09:06 PM
Oh, I see now, a 5 Str character can only carry up to 16 lbs without getting encumbered.

I hope you are a race with small size.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-02, 09:08 PM
However did you get stats like THAT? Are you aware of the reroll rules in the PHB?

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 09:10 PM
However did you get stats like THAT? Are you aware of the reroll rules in the PHB?

Point buy and age bonuses/penalties. I suppose I could change them, but if it's workable otherwise that would be fantastic.

Goldfly
2011-09-02, 09:17 PM
ACP. You take the penalty to all attack rolls as well for non-proficient armour. And all Strength and Dexterity-based skills, for that matter. Plus the aforementioned speed decrease.

Yes, but an archivist really shouldn't be making attacks anyway (at least early levels, they don't get very good attacking spells), and most of the dex- and str- skills wouldn't be terribly useful at that level.

I could, but I'm wondering whether it's an acceptable tradeoff in terms of encumbrance.
But I"ll admit that I hadn't considered encumbrance at all.

NNescio
2011-09-02, 09:33 PM
Yes, but an archivist really shouldn't be making attacks anyway (at least early levels, they don't get very good attacking spells), and most of the dex- and str- skills wouldn't be terribly useful at that level.

But I"ll admit that I hadn't considered encumbrance at all.

Strength and Dexterity ability checks are also penalized. Initiative is a an ability check, and we all know how combat at early levels resemble rocket tag, even with zero optimization.

Anecdotally, all spellcasters I've played had made liberal use of ranged attacks at Level 1. True, you can win an encounter with a single spell, but the damage is still nice, and you don't lag too terribly behind the more martial characters anyway.

@OP: Would you consider buying a mule? They help you haul your gear around and can also double as meat shields in a pinch. Especially against the more... predatory creatures.

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 09:36 PM
@OP: Would you consider buying a mule? They help you haul your gear around and can also double as meat shields in a pinch. Especially against the more... predatory creatures.

Excellent idea, but I have been advised that mules will not fit in the dungeon--and that is all I am getting to know, according to the DM. I suppose a dog could work, though.

NNescio
2011-09-02, 09:41 PM
Excellent idea, but I have been advised that mules will not fit in the dungeon. I suppose a dog could work, though.

Mules will not fit in dungeons, or mules will not fit in that dungeon?

Donkey or Mule

Donkeys and mules are stolid in the face of danger, hardy, surefooted, and capable of carrying heavy loads over vast distances. Unlike a horse, a donkey or a mule is willing (though not eager) to enter dungeons and other strange or threatening places.

If the dungeon can fit large-sized creatures, then mules can fit as well. Bear in mind that large creatures can also squeeze through 5-foot corridors.

Squeezing

In some cases, you may have to squeeze into or through an area that isn’t as wide as the space you take up. You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to AC.

When a Large creature (which normally takes up four squares) squeezes into a space that’s one square wide, the creature’s miniature figure occupies two squares, centered on the line between the two squares. For a bigger creature, center the creature likewise in the area it squeezes into.

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 09:44 PM
Mules will not fit in dungeons, or mules will not fit in that dungeon?

If the dungeon can fit large-sized creatures, then mules can fit as well. Bear in mind that large creatures can also squeeze through 5-foot corridors.

Apparently this dungeon in particular is unusual. The druid was restricted in his choice of animal companion as well.

Goldfly
2011-09-02, 10:05 PM
Strength and Dexterity ability checks are also penalized. Initiative is a an ability check, and we all know how combat at early levels resemble rocket tag, even with zero optimization.

Okay, I'll concede that this is a very good point.

Anecdotally, all spellcasters I've played had made liberal use of ranged attacks at Level 1. True, you can win an encounter with a single spell, but the damage is still nice, and you don't lag too terribly behind the more martial characters anyway.

Pfft, that's what the meatshields are for. :smalltongue:

faceroll
2011-09-02, 10:58 PM
Tower Shield. +4 AC, can be used to take total cover. Drop it as a free action if you REALLY need to cast a touch attack spell (yeah right, not with 5 dex at level 1). Wear padded or leather armor with it.

NNescio
2011-09-02, 11:25 PM
Tower Shield. +4 AC, can be used to take total cover. Drop it as a free action if you REALLY need to cast a touch attack spell (yeah right, not with 5 dex at level 1). Wear padded or leather armor with it.

Tower Shield: 45 lbs, ACP -10
Padded Armor: 10 lbs

Max Heavy Load for a 5 Str character: 50 lbs.

He'll be staggered.

Lifting and Dragging

A character can lift as much as his or her maximum load over his or her head.

A character can lift as much as double his or her maximum load off the ground, but he or she can only stagger around with it. While overloaded in this way, the character loses any Dexterity bonus to AC and can move only 5 feet per round (as a full-round action).

Granted, tracking encumbrance tends to be the province of the more anal-retentive DMs, but it's hard to not notice a 5 Str character whose two pieces of gear already pushes him pass the limit.

Tower shields can be made lighter, but the costs are exorbitant at first level.

That said, if the OP is a small-sized race, then his gear weight will be cut in half. Hopefully that's the case, but I doubt it judging from the stats.

In any case, the ACP would be particularly crippling.

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 11:26 PM
I can see the tower shield working, actually; I can strap two ten-foot poles to it and use it as a travois to carry my gear out of combat so I can finally haul around a decent amount of loot.

Am I correct in assuming that the total cover obviates the need for armor, since the spells to which the shield leaves me vulnerable would penetrate it anyway?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-02, 11:27 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the total cover obviates the need for armor, since the spells to which the shield leaves me vulnerable would penetrate it anyway?

Total cover isn't LOLyoumiss.

Trekkin
2011-09-02, 11:32 PM
Am I reading this wrong somehow then?

Originally posted by SRD
Total Cover
If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.
I clicked the srd hyperlink for the tower shield and got this. I assumed it meant that I can't be attacked in melee from my front facing if I'm using the shield in this way. Does it mean something different?

Godskook
2011-09-03, 01:53 AM

You start play with a prayer book, if your DM says otherwise, he's blatantly violating RAW/RAI. If he's aware of that, oh well, but if he isn't, you should get your 15 gp back.

Big Fau
2011-09-03, 07:41 AM

Which also means he will have even worse Init rolls. Hope you enjoy going last, because that's the only thing that will happen.

Trekkin
2011-09-04, 06:08 PM
You start play with a prayer book, if your DM says otherwise, he's blatantly violating RAW/RAI. If he's aware of that, oh well, but if he isn't, you should get your 15 gp back.
Oh, okay. I just assumed I had to buy it.

And I don't mind going last, actually. I just hope to survive to go last.