PDA

View Full Version : Personal Woes Question

Lady Moreta
2011-09-02, 10:22 PM
Okay, so there's a discussion going on in the Personal Woes and Advice thread that's made me think of something.

I know the rules say we can't offer anything that might be constituted professional advice, but as one or two have said in the thread, they don't currently have access to professionals and the old depression thread was the only way they could get any sort of assistance. The nature of the new rules states that they can no longer bring up these issues in the new thread.

One person responded with the comment that they could take these more serious issues to people outside the forum (with the implication being that they weren't necessarily going to a professional, just talking to friends outside of this media).

My question is this - are those of us who post in the thread able to say "hey, if you've got something serious going on that you can't talk about here, feel free to contact me off-forum"? - this would necessitate sending a PM first to get my contact details as I prefer not to list them in my profile. No discussion of such issues would take place in the forum, it would simply open up more options for people who by necessity relied more on the forums for their support than not. If we had the freedom to say 'hey contact me on msn or email or aim' then those who are struggling will still get the support they need and we won't be breaking any rules.

edit: I would like to be able to go and make the offer today as a few people have mentioned already that they have problems that they're no longer permitted to talk about here, but can't access professional help for at this moment. I just want to make sure that making said offer won't break the rules.

Thank you kindly :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2011-09-03, 01:12 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: We'd really rather you not get into the habit of advertising that X inappropriate topic can be discussed with you elsewhere.

But phrased as you have it:

"hey, if you've got something serious going on that you can't talk about here, feel free to contact me off-forum"?

it's not really a problem. If you had said, "I can't give you professional advice here but contact me at X," that's more problematic.