PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Fire Challenge help

Dr paradox
2011-09-02, 10:40 PM
hallo, playgrounders! I'm in a bit of a bind.

tomorrow, I'm running a series of rooms wherein the characters need to split up and collect items from four rooms, one for each of the classical elements. for three of the rooms, I have obstacles planned aside from the general "Toss in a few elementals and a trap based on the element." the Air chamber is a vertical wind tunnel, the Water room is a giant whirlpool, the earth chamber increases gravity the closer you get to the objective.

the problem is, I can't think of a creative challenge for fire. I don't want a gauntlet of fire jets, or the like, or the aforementioned room of fire elementals, but I'm pretty much stuck. does anyone have any ideas/ past examples I could crib?

Randomguy
2011-09-06, 11:20 AM
A room full of lava and a lava breathing monster that hides in it? I suppose you could add walkways above it, if you don't hate your players. :smallsmile:

Traab
2011-09-06, 03:26 PM
Give them a lot of stuff to destroy, and not alot of time to do it in. Fire is the most destructive of the elements, and to pass the test of fire, you have to show an equally destructive ability. Monsters, obstacles, triggers, everything. Give them a TON of stuff to crush burn kill and tell them they are on the clock. They fail and they have to start over again.

Magnema
2011-09-06, 04:24 PM
Gradually increasing heat effects? As in, first an endure elements level of heat, and then a damage per minute, then per round, then 1d6/round, until you get to plane-of-fire level heat? That's what I would use, or some variation, possibly toning it down depending on your group's level. Remember that there are effects of mild heat. Simply a temperature increase would be appropriate to fire - being a rather simpleminded, brutal element, it would have a rather simpleminded, brutal challenge (as Traab also suggested.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-09-06, 05:19 PM
Room of wood, set it on fire, lava below, perhaps? The character would need to maneuver to do what he/she needs to while avoiding the moving flames as they slowly advance in whatever directions (maybe even determine by dice?). If something becomes completely surrounded by fire it falls, etc etc. If the character is fighting fire elementals, perhaps they can be creating the fire as they move. If you want to keep alive long enough you'll have to keep moving to new platforms before there's no platform left.