PDA

View Full Version : A Thousand Faces, none of them the same... [Base Class, 3.5, PEACH]

Amechra
2011-09-02, 11:55 PM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/222/2/c/Fiendish_Shapeshifter_by_D_MAC.jpg (http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/222/2/c/Fiendish_Shapeshifter_by_D_MAC.jpg)
Gestaltwandler
Look at me, now at yourself, now look back at me. Sadly, I'm not me, but if I felt like it, I could look like me. Look down, back up; it's me, tearing your face off; look again... Now it's on fire!

Anything is possible when you can change shapes like me. I am a horse.

What is a body, but a vessel for the spirit? It is a mere outfit for the true being inside...

So why shouldn't a creature, at its choosing, change shape to something more suited? This question has been asked, and now the Gestaltwandler stalk the world.

Hit Dice: d8

Skills: Coming later.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|BloodlinesAccessib le|Forms per Day
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Forms (Initiate), Hunter's Blood|1|1
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Perfected Self (Armor Class)|1|1
3|+2|+1|+1|+3||1|2
4|+3|+1|+1|+4|Strengthened Blood|1|2
5|+3|+1|+1|+4|Forms (Apprentice), Hunter's Blood|2|3
6|+4|+2|+2|+5|Grand Form|2|3
7|+5|+2|+2|+5|Mixed Blood|2|4
8|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Forms (Journeyman)|2|4
9|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Adaptable Form (2)|2|5
10|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Hunter's Blood, Perfected Self (Saves)|3|5
11|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Grand Form|3|6
12|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Forms (Expert)|3|6
13|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8||3|7
14|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Unknowable Mind|3|7
15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Hunter's Blood|4|8
16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Forms (Master), Grand Form|4|8
17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Adaptable Form (3)|4|9
18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Perfected Self (Age)|4|9
19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||4|10
20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Hunter's Blood|5|10[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Gestaltwandler is proficient in all simple weapons, and all light armors.

Forms (Su and Ex): A Gestaltwandler is not content to stay in one form; indeed, it is their destiny to change shapes as others change clothing.

Starting at level one, a Gestaltwandler may choose a form to change into; in doing so, they select one of the forms available to them; once this form is selected, it may not be changed until the Gestaltwandler has rested for at least 8 hours. After this form has been selected, the Gestaltwandler may change into and out of that form as a swift action.

While they are in one of their alternate forms, they lose the benefits of any equipment or spellcasting that they may have.

As long as a Gestaltwandler has selected a form, they also gain a weaker benefit while not shifted.

At 3rd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, a Gestaltwandler may select one more form to change into daily; the form they can change into as a swift action may be swapped between any of those chosen forms as a free action once per round.

They only gain the non-shifted benefit from the form currently available. They may select Initiate forms at 1st level, Apprentice Forms at 5th level, Journeyman Forms at 8th level, Expert Forms at 12th level, and Master Forms at 16th level.

In addition, a Gestaltwandler's natural weapons and natural armor respectively gain an enhancement bonus equal to 1/4 their class level.

Transforming into a form is a Supernatural ability; however, once in a form, this ability is treated as if it had been Extraordinary.

Hunter's Blood (Ex): When one can change their form, they can also conceivably change their blood as well; a Gestaltwandler does just that.

At 1st level, a Gestaltwandler gains access to a single bloodline of their choice; however, they do not actually gain any of the special features of the bloodline (but see Forms Available, below). Any choices that would be required by the bloodline are made when you gain the bloodline through this feature; as such, you may take a given bloodline twice (the bonus to skills and damage against a certain type of creature do not stack if they would be from the same Bloodline Affinity; however, they do stack in the case of multiple distinct Bloodline Affinities being applicable to that creature.)

Additionally, against any creature that the bloodline would normally give a skill bonus against, the Gestaltwandler instead gains a +2 bonus to the following:
-Weapon damage rolls.
-Any five skills from the following list: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Listen, all Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival.
-The first skill that would be granted a bonus through the Skill Boost ability.

At 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter, the Gestaltwandler chooses an additional bloodline for this ability; in addition, they may select one of the bloodlines that they have gained through this class feature (including the one just gained):
-The bonus increases by +2.
-They gain the next skill that would have been boosted by the Skill Boost ability.

Perfected Self (Su): Sometimes, it helps that one can adjust how their bodies are shaped; it gives one a feeling of security.

At 2nd level, a Gestaltwandler gains an armor bonus to armor class equal to their Charisma modifier. This only functions as long as they are either not wearing armor or are in light armor.

In addition, any armor that they wear gains the Glamered special quality for as long as they wear it; they may change the appearance of the armor as a free action once per round.

At 10th level, a Gestaltwandler gains an Insight bonus to all of their saves equal to their Charisma modifier. This only functions as long as they are not wearing armor or are in light armor.

In addition, they gain a Changeling's Change Shape ability.

Finally, at 18th level, a Gestaltwandler may, in a process that takes a single minute, change which age category they are currently in; this gives all the corresponding mental and physical bonuses, but none of the penalties.

Each time that this ability is used to change their age, they lose whatever physical or mental bonus they would have gained from their age.

Due to this ability, a Gestaltwandler is immortal; they may not die of old age.

Strengthened Blood (Ex): It is curious how much one can adapt from one form to the next.

At 4th level, a Gestaltwandler is able to use the Strengthened Blood version of any given form; this counts as a separate form.

Grand Form (Ex): It really is curious how one shapechanger varies from another.

At 6th level, a Gestaltwandler may select one of the 3 Grand Forms; when they choose their forms for the day, a Grand Form counts as two forms.

At 11th level, and every 5 levels thereafter, a Gestaltwandler may select one of the following:
-They may select an additional Grand Form.
-They may select the Advanced version of any one Grand Form that they have.
-They may choose to have a single Grand Form that they have count as only one Form for the purpose of Forms per Day.

Mixed Blood (Ex): If someone can change into someone with preternatural blood, they can obviously alter that blood into something else, something more...

At 7th level, a Gestaltwandler may, at the beginning of the day, select 2 bloodlines; once they have done so, they may swap the benefits of any given level between the two bloodlines with another benefit of the same level as many times as they wish.

Once they have done so, the bloodlines stay in that configuration until the Gestaltwandler has rested for 8 hours.

Adaptable Form (Su): A Shapechanger must truly be adaptable if they are going to survive.

At 9th level, and every 8 levels thereafter, the number of forms that may be active at a given point in time increases by 1. This allows the Gestaltwandler to swap between active forms using a swift action; additionally, each active form gains the benefit of the other form's Bloodline Ability (only the actual "true" form gains the full benefit of Strengthened Blood, however.)

Unknowable Mind (Ex): Few people truly know how many mental gymnastics it takes to become a shapechanger; the resulting convoluted mind is rather hard to affect.

At 14th level, the Gestaltwandler may, as a free action once per round which they may take during another creatures action, elect to be treated as Mindless for 1 round; in addition, when they are targeted by a mind-affecting ability, they are treated as being of whichever type would result in the best effect for them.

Forms Available
All forms have the following ability:

Bloodline: While in this form, gain the benefits of one of the Bloodlines chosen through Hunter's Blood as if it were a Major Bloodline, minus the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities. While this form is active, a non-shifted Gestaltwandler is treated as having an Intermediate Bloodline of the same type, also with the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities removed. The bloodline granted through this ability is required to match the choices made in the Hunter's Blood class feature.

If the Strengthened Blood class feature is used, the above feature is altered to be the following:

Bloodline: While in this form, gain the benefits of one of the Bloodlines chosen through Hunter's Blood as if it were an Intermediate Bloodline, minus the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities. While this form is active, a non-shifted Gestaltwandler is treated as having a Major Bloodline of the same type, also with the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities removed. The bloodline granted through this ability is required to match the choices made in the Hunter's Blood class feature.

The ECL for the purpose of these bloodlines is their class level.

Initiate
-Inhuman Form
In this form, you take on the appearance of some flightless creature of your own size; it distinctly looks inhuman, however.
In this form, you gain the following:
-A +4 enhancement bonus to Strength
-A +4 bonus to your Natural Armor
-Your base land speed increases by 20'
-You are quadrupedal (or a close approximate); as such, you gain the Stability special ability.
-You gain one natural weapon.
-When you reach 5th level, you may select either Run or Mobility as a bonus feat.
-Humanoid Form
You take the form of any one of your close cousins, the humanoids.
-You gain a +10 to Disguise checks involving masquerading as a single Humanoid race.
-You do not lose the benefit of your equipment.
-When you reach 5th level, you may be treated as being a member of the Humanoid race that you chose when you chose this form; you also gain a single racial feat for that race as a Bonus feat, selected upon choosing this form as a daily form (this ability may be used to gain a feat that otherwise could only be taken at 1st level.)

Apprentice
Aerial Form
I'm going to fly like an eagle, down to the sea...
-You gain a +2 Enhancement Bonus to Strength
-You gain a +2 bonus to Reflex Saves.
-You gain a +2 bonus to Natural Armor.
-You gain a Fly speed with Good maneuverability equal to your base land speed +10'.
-At 7th level, you gain Fly-by Attack as a Bonus feat.

Aquatic Form
I's like to be, under the sea...
-You gain a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
-You gain a +2 bonus to your Natural Armor.
-You gain a Swim Speed equal to your base land speed+20', but your land speed is reduced to 10'.
-You may breath both in and out of water.
-At 7th level, you gain Spring Attack as a bonus feat.

Earthbound Form
Look, I'm not psychic...
-You gain a +4 bonus to Natural Armor.
-You gain a Burrow speed equal to your base land speed -10'.
-At 7th level, you may tunnel through stone as well as through earth.

Swarm Form
I'm covering you with bees!
-Your size is reduced to Tiny; do not adjust ability scores or natural armor to match your new size.
-You gain the Swarm subtype.
-You receive a -6 penalty to Strength.
-You gain a +4 Enhancement Bonus to Dexterity.
-You gain a Swarm attack that does 1d6 damage + 1d6 damage for every 4 Gestaltwandler levels you have.
-You gain the Distraction special ability.
-At 12th level, you may elect to become Diminution instead of Tiny.

Virulent Form
I'm a little drop of poison...
-You become immune to all poisons derived from Animals and Vermin.
-You gain one natural attack that does damage as a creature two sizes smaller than you are. However, it also injects a poison that deals 1d4 Strength Damage (+1 for every 4 Gestaltwandler levels you have) for both the primary and secondary damage, with a Fortitude save with a DC of 10+1/2 Gestaltwandler level+your Charisma modifier.
-At 7th level, your poison may affect any one ability score of your choice, chosen when this form was chosen for the day.

Journeyman
Ferocious Slayer
I'm a Demolition Man...
-Your size increases by one category; do not adjust your ability scores or natural armor due to this change.
-You gain a +8 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
-You gain a +4 bonus to Fortitude Saves.
-You gain a +8 bonus to Natural Armor.
-Your Base Land Speed increases by 10'.
-You gain two natural weapons.
-At 10th level, you gain [B]Improved Critical for both of your natural weapons as as bonus feats.

Winged Destroyer
Look up to the skies and see... your doom.
-Your size increases by one category; do not adjust your ability scores or natural armor due to this change.
-You gain a +6 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
-You gain a +4 bonus to Reflex and Fortitude saves.
-You gain a Fly speed with Average maneuverability equal to your base land speed +10'
-At 10th level, you gain the Pounce special quality.

Expert
Beast Form
Well, you know how it goes... I am a BEAST, after all.
-Your size increases by two steps; do not adjust ability scores or natural armor due to this change.
-You gain a +12 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
-You gain a +8 bonus to Natural Armor.
-You gain a +6 bonus to Fortitude saves.
-You gain two natural weapons.
-At 14th level, you gain Awesome Blow as a bonus feat.

Forest Avenger
*NananaNA, Na na NANA!*
-Your size increases by one step; do not adjust ability scores or natural armor due to thsi change.
-You gain a +4 bonus to Fortitude and Will saves.
-You gain a +12 bonus to Natural Armor.
-Your land speed is reduced by 10'.
-You gain one natural attack.
-You gain DR 5/ bypassed by either Slashing, Bludgeoning, or Piercing, chosen when this form is chosen for the day.
-At 14th level, you gain Improved Overrun as a bonus feat.

Master
Elemental Fury
*I have FURY*
-Your size increases by two categories; do not adjust your ability socres or natural armor due to this change.
-You gain a +16 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
-You gain a +4 bonus to all saves.
-You gain a +16 bonus to your Natural Armor.
-You gain two natural attacks.
-You are immune to critical hits.
-You do not need to breathe.
-You become immune to a single, non-Sonic energy type.
-At 18th level, you gain Great Cleave as a bonus feat.

Great Beast
History shows again and again, how nature points out the folly of men...
-Your size increases by three categories; do not adjust your ability socres or natural armor due to this change.
-You gain a +18 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
-You gain a +8 bonus to Fortitude Saves.
-You gain three natural attacks.
-At 18th level, you giant he Swallow Whole ability of a Purple Worm.

Tyrant Wyrm
OMG, it is a dragon! Run!
-Your size increases by two categories; do not adjust your ability socres or natural armor due to this change.
-You gain a +4 to Fortitude and Will saves.
-You gain four natural attacks.
-You gain a Fly speed of 120' with Poor maneuverability.
-You are immune to 1 of the following, chosen upon choosing this form for the day: Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Fire.
-You may breath out a breath weapon in a 60' line as a standard action once every 1d4 rounds; this breath weapon deals (Gestaltwandler level*2) damage of the type this form grants immunity to.
-At 18th level, you may use your breath weapon as a 60' line or a 30' cone.

Grand Forms
Coming soon!

Natural Weapons: A natural weapon may be a "Single" or a "Double".
-A Single deals damage as appropriate for the creature's size; for a medium creature, this would be 1d6.
-A Double grants two attacks, but each deals damage as appropriate for a creature of one size lower; for a medium creature, this would be 1d4.

A Natural Weapon may have any appearance that fits thematically for whatever the form is; as such, a Double for a "cat" might be a pair of claws, a Double for a "bird" would probably be a pair of Slaps from their wings.

Apologies to DaTedinator, for unashamedly stealing his ideas from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78186).

Welknair
2011-09-03, 12:37 AM
Oooooh. I'll need to read this through more thoroughly when it's not so late. First impressions are positive.

Amechra
2011-09-03, 09:19 AM
A quick piece of math:
You get 5 Bloodlines.
There are 14 Forms (at least right now).
A form can either have Bloodline or Strengthened Blood.

The result is (at least) 140 possible forms by 20th level.

Using Adaptable Form, you have at least two million, six hundred eighty five thousand, four hundred and eighty configurations for your forms. (2685480).

This is before the Grand Forms, which give you up to 560 possible forms if you pick all of them ("Only" 280 if you focus, though.)

Dralnu
2011-09-03, 02:02 PM
I still don't understand bloodlines. :smallfrown:

As for the rest:

Finally, at 18th level, a Gestaltwandler may, in a process that takes a single minute, change which age category they are currently in; this gives all the corresponding mental and physical bonuses, but none of the penalties.

I don't like this. I'm pretty sure that the mental bonuses gained from aging are supposed to reflect the experience you've gained through time. Since you don't get physical bonuses from aging, only negatives, this seems like "at level 18, get +1 to all mental stats," so why not say it like that?

At 14th level, the Gestaltwandler may, as a free action once per round which they may take during another creatures action, become Mindless for a round; in addition, when they are targeted by a mind-affecting ability, they are treated as being of whichever type would result in the best effect for them.

I don't think you want to become Mindless. There's not much you can do once you do that to yourself. :smalleek:

How about treated as mindless? Or even better, under the effect of Mind Blank so you're more in line with similar abilities? Also when you're mindless/whatever you can't be targeted by mind-affecting abilities, so your ability conflicts with itself.

Everything else looks good. Still dunno what bloodlines are, but cool stuff.

Amechra
2011-09-03, 07:07 PM
Look in Welkneir's signature; be enlightened.

At 18th level, you may change to be any age category pretty much at will; I'm just covering my bases, here (so you could run around, looking like a Grandpa, then change into a little girl in a practically flawless way.)

As for "becoming Mindless" for 1 round, that should have been "treated as mindless." I'll fix that...

Welknair
2011-09-07, 12:30 AM
Gave it a more thorough look-through and it seems good - no specific areas of problem. Though I was somewhat confused by this:

All forms have the following ability:

Bloodline: While in this form, gain the benefits of one of the Bloodlines chosen through Hunter's Blood as if it were a Major Bloodline, minus the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities. While this form is active, a non-shifted Gestaltwandler is treated as having an Intermediate Bloodline of the same type, also with the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities removed. The bloodline granted through this ability is required to match the choices made in the Hunter's Blood class feature.

If the Strengthened Blood class feature is used, the above feature is altered to be the following:

Bloodline: While in this form, gain the benefits of one of the Bloodlines chosen through Hunter's Blood as if it were an Intermediate Bloodline, minus the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities. While this form is active, a non-shifted Gestaltwandler is treated as having a Major Bloodline of the same type, also with the Skill Boost and Bloodline Affinity abilities removed. The bloodline granted through this ability is required to match the choices made in the Hunter's Blood class feature.

The ECL for the purpose of these bloodlines is their class level.

First of all, did you intend them to have identical names? That's a tad confusing. Secondly, I'm not sure exactly what you're meaning here. Since it's prefaced with "All forms have the following ability", that implies that you would... choose one of them for each form? A little clarification would be appreciated.

Amechra
2011-09-07, 03:43 PM
When deciding on your forms per day, you add a bloodline to each different form.

I know it is kinda confusing... anyone have any better wording?