PDA

View Full Version : Solid Fog and Ranged Weapons

Vandette
2011-09-03, 12:26 AM
Simply put, is there any way to allow a bow-user to make attacks through a Solid Fog spell without compromising the other effects of the spell?

My thought was that Brilliant Energy arrows might do the trick, since the rules text states that a Brilliant Energy weapon "ignores nonliving matter" and the Solid Fog has no organic components.

Thanks for any advice.

Flickerdart
2011-09-03, 01:11 AM
Solid Fog isn't just nonliving matter - as a non-instantaneous conjuration, it's still a spell, and Brilliant Energy does not allow you to ignore spells.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-03, 01:21 AM
Simply put, is there any way to allow a bow-user to make attacks through a Solid Fog spell without compromising the other effects of the spell?

My thought was that Brilliant Energy arrows might do the trick, since the rules text states that a Brilliant Energy weapon "ignores nonliving matter" and the Solid Fog has no organic components.

Thanks for any advice.

Force enhancment. +3 in MiC I think. Your arrows become force effects. I might be wrong but it should be able to penetrate Solid Fog well. I did this with my Scout who was married to a Wizard and my DM allowed it.

DeAnno
2011-09-03, 02:09 AM
Freedom of Movement + effects that let you move and shoot is probably your best bet by RAW, poking out of and back into the Fog as you take your turn.

Calimehter
2011-09-03, 09:48 AM

Brilliant Energy also states that only the "significant portion" of the weapon is made of energy. This is a bit open to interpretation, but most folks would agree that the arrowheads would be the only energized part, while the shafts would remain unenergized especially since arrowheads are listed as the example in the text. The unenergized portions of the weapon would still hit the fog and stop.

DeAnno
2011-09-03, 03:04 PM
If the BE arrows could shoot through Solid Fog, they could also shoot through walls and be guided with Mindsight :smallbiggrin:. That would be an interesting build indeed.

Flickerdart
2011-09-03, 05:13 PM
If the BE arrows could shoot through Solid Fog, they could also shoot through walls and be guided with Mindsight :smallbiggrin:. That would be an interesting build indeed.
Brilliant Energy can't do that, but the Ballisteer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030426b)'s Phase Shot can. To further prove that psionics is more awesome than magic, Mind's Eye released what the Arcane Archer wishes it could be. Shame is 3.0 though, but it's easy to update (in fact, I did so (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11362534#post11362534) already).