PDA

View Full Version : Negative Energy

Zook Murning
2011-09-03, 06:52 AM
I know commanding undead and the like is considered evil, but is channeling negative energy an evil act? For example would using an inflict wounds spell be considered evil if a good cleric was channeling negative energy against an evil creature?

Help and opinions are much appreciated :smallbiggrin:

candycorn
2011-09-03, 06:56 AM
Spells are evil if, AND ONLY IF, they have the evil descriptor.

If not, then they are treated like any other similar effect. The act of casting X (non-evil) spell against a specific creature is no more or less evil than shooting that character with a crossbow.

Pigkappa
2011-09-03, 07:31 AM
From the SRD:

Neutral Clerics and Undead

A cleric of neutral alignment can either turn undead but not rebuke them, or rebuke undead but not turn them. See Turn or Rebuke Undead for more information.

Even if a cleric is neutral, channeling positive energy is a good act and channeling negative energy is evil.

However, Good clerics can cast "Inflict minor wounds" and similar spells, which involve negative energy.

I would say that this is mostly up to the DM, and the usual and most reasonable interpretation is that only casting spells with the [Evil] descriptor are is an evil act.

Yuki Akuma
2011-09-03, 08:46 AM
Channelling negative energy through your faith in your god to affect the Undead and Deathless is not the same thing as casting a spell which deals negative energy damage or negative levels.

Sarco_Phage
2011-09-03, 08:58 AM
Depends on how you look at negative energy and its effect on your campaign world.

Negative energy comes from the negative energy plane, which is inimical to All That Lives. Now, does casting a non-[Evil] negative energy spell leave residual negative energy just sitting in the Prime Material Plane? Because then you could call it a dangerous act, but then so is casting Fireball.

n00bsticker
2011-09-03, 09:39 AM
Decide for yourself (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_Necromancy_(3.5e_Sourcebook)/Morality)

Zook Murning
2011-09-06, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the input guys and gals :D I have found it highly useful

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-09-08, 07:57 PM
No burning hate? I'd link i