PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Energy Silliness

Calimehter
2011-09-03, 09:59 AM
The Brilliant Energy rules state that the "significant portion" of the weapon is transformed into light energy, and that the weapon "ignores nonliving matter".

What if, for some reason, the entire weapon was considered the "significant portion" and thus had no nonenergy component to it? Shurikens come to mind, but there are probably others out there too. Would you seriously run into problems such as:

- needing a "living" bag or quiver to store such items, lest they pass right through your nonliving haversacks?

- accidentally dropping it and having it fall to the center of the earth?

- warforged/undead/constructs being unable to even wield such an item?

- assassinating people from behind 50 feet of stone wall in castles and dungeons?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-03, 10:08 AM
The Brilliant Energy rules state that the "significant portion" of the weapon is transformed into light energy, and that the weapon "ignores nonliving matter".

What if, for some reason, the entire weapon was considered the "significant portion" and thus had no nonenergy component to it? Shurikens come to mind, but there are probably others out there too. Would you seriously run into problems such as:

- needing a "living" bag or quiver to store such items, lest they pass right through your nonliving haversacks?

- assassinating people from behind 50 feet of stone wall in castles and dungeons?

If I remember correctly, the handles remain the same. Obviously, things like shuriken don't have a handle but I would say the middle or whatever part is used to grip and throw them would remain the same. Good luck hitting someone through 50ft of stone. 50% miss chance, maximum range penalties at -8, choosing the right square, piercing the targets AC AND dealing enough damage to actually kill them.

PersonMan
2011-09-03, 10:26 AM
If I remember correctly, the handles remain the same. Obviously, things like shuriken don't have a handle but I would say the middle or whatever part is used to grip and throw them would remain the same. Good luck hitting someone through 50ft of stone. 50% miss chance, maximum range penalties at -8, choosing the right square, piercing the targets AC AND dealing enough damage to actually kill them.

60' or more of Tremorsense, several buffs(I can think of up to +8 of them with two items and an 8th level bard using IC), hitting a flat-footed target(and who's going to wear armor all the time? Get them while they're asleep).

As for damage, well, I'm not so sure about that, but if you're doing the standard "assassinate squishy governor-guy" it shouldn't be too hard. Perhaps add some poison(s) to be sure.

Calimehter
2011-09-03, 10:33 AM
Aiming through divination sensors might also work??

Poison would be tough to apply to a light energy weapon and still have it fly through walls, but with the right feats/spells (or just by reducing the distance to 30') one can add sneak attack damage.

begooler
2011-09-03, 10:55 AM
Good luck hitting someone through 50ft of stone. 50% miss chance, maximum range penalties at -8, choosing the right square, piercing the targets AC AND dealing enough damage to actually kill them.

See, everyone always knocks the divination school...

Lord Vukodlak
2011-09-03, 03:31 PM
Gentlemen a ring of X-ray vision.

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-03, 06:06 PM
Gentlemen a ring of X-ray vision.

The problem with that is

X-ray vision can penetrate 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt. Thicker substances or a thin sheet of lead blocks the vision.

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-03, 07:09 PM
Archivist with Earthdreamer levels and that Ranger spell that makes arrows Brilliant Energy.

Engage people from below, enjoying the cover of 30 feet of rock.

deuxhero
2011-09-03, 07:17 PM
Any part of a Monk's body can be used in an attack.

Brilliant Energy Monk/Kensai: Ah HELL nah.

Eldariel
2011-09-03, 07:36 PM
See, everyone always knocks the divination school...

Only fools do.

ericgrau
2011-09-03, 07:40 PM
If your DM puts gremlins in the center of the earth some colossal brilliant energy weapons are a good way to kill them with falling damage.

Pechvarry
2011-09-03, 08:31 PM
Any part of a Monk's body can be used in an attack.

Brilliant Energy Monk/Kensai: Ah HELL nah.

...Can we explore this more, please?

ericgrau
2011-09-03, 08:34 PM
Problem: That monk can't wear magic items. Otherwise I'd give him a fly speed item and call it a day for Mr. ghost monk. Immunity to weapons isn't a bad deal, so it's worth exploring. Perhaps an avian monk. Ah crud, his wings can't push against air. Hmm...

RndmNumGen
2011-09-03, 08:37 PM
If I remember correctly, the handles remain the same. Obviously, things like shuriken don't have a handle but I would say the middle or whatever part is used to grip and throw them would remain the same.

With Shuriken, Throwing Knives, etc. the blade is often grasped when throwing(not so you cut yourself, but so the right part will hit the target). Maybe it converts after you throw it, similar to how I imagine a +1 Flaming arrow would(They can't ALWAYS be on fire... can they?)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-03, 08:38 PM
Ah crud, his wings can't push against air. Hmm...

Lantern archons can fly. Dragons can fly. This guy will be able to fly.

Edit:

With Shuriken, Throwing Knives, etc. the blade is often grasped when throwing(not so you cut yourself, but so the right part will hit the target). Maybe it converts after you throw it, similar to how I imagine a +1 Flaming arrow would(They can't ALWAYS be on fire... can they?)
You do grip the flat of the blade for shuriken, but you can grip throwing knives by the handle. Flaming arrows only have the head on fire, because it's like the ones IRL and the ones in Legend of Zelda: Windwaker.

Eldariel
2011-09-03, 08:39 PM
Problem: That monk can't wear magic items. Otherwise I'd give him a fly speed item and call it a day for Mr. ghost monk. Immunity to weapons isn't a bad deal, so it's worth exploring. Perhaps an avian monk. Ah crud, his wings can't push against air. Hmm...

Be an Enlightened Fist; fly with magic. Problem solved. Spell called "Brilliant Blade" actually, level 6 which makes one weapon Brilliant Energy. Be a Monk, enhance yourself: Great success.

deuxhero
2011-09-03, 08:47 PM

Hmm, does Kensai work with the wording for VoP? I mean, you don't actually have items disallowed to you, the feat allows you to carry as much gold as you want (presumably for charity.)...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-03, 08:52 PM
Hmm, does Kensai work with the wording for VoP? I mean, you don't actually have items disallowed to you, the feat allows you to carry as much gold as you want (presumably for charity.)...

Just use VoP (Vow of Puns :smalltongue:). And why would you carry around gold?

TwylyghT
2011-09-03, 09:08 PM
The monk could ride a mount?

lol.

deuxhero
2011-09-03, 09:17 PM
Just use VoP (Vow of Puns :smalltongue:). And why would you carry around gold?

To sacrifice it for Kensai. IIRC, the wording is more along the lines "you can own this, this and this" and explicitly allows gold for the purpose of charity and sacrifices.

Coidzor
2011-09-03, 09:24 PM

Generally the hilt isn't brilliant energy, nor is the rest of the arrow if it's ammo. Now, shurikens, on the other hand.... They'll go until they hit one of the oodles and boodles of critters under the surface of any planet with an underdark.

If you can see 'em, sure, but if you can, you're capable of killing them anyway.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-03, 09:25 PM
To sacrifice it for Kensai. IIRC, the wording is more along the lines "you can own this, this and this" and explicitly allows gold for the purpose of charity and sacrifices.

You don't sacrifice gold for kensai. That's samurai.

Keld Denar
2011-09-03, 10:45 PM
Spoons McGee from the assassin Iron Chef used the Remote Viewing power plus a Burrowing Power Telekinetic Thrust to death attack people through walls. Clever.