PDA

View Full Version : Path to a Combat Archivist?

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-03, 10:36 AM
Hey all, I'm running a fairly light-hearted mid-optimization game (as in, I'm maybe a green-belt in the art of Char-Op and I'm helping my players to steer clear of obviously bad choices) and one of my players loves her Archivist, but wants to do more face-wrecking in addition to spell casting.

Players are currently level 4, and all of them have at least one level of human paragon (long story, I'll explain if I ever get my adventure log ready for public consumption).

So, she's a human paragon 1 / archivist 3. Stats are very, very good. 14 strength, 10 dex, 14 con, Int is 18 now, wisdom is a 15, charisma is 16. Basically she can do whatever she wants, but does it without much grace.

Anyway, She's wants to be able to take more of an active role in melee fights as she levels up.
Where would you guys suggest splitting out of Archivist (yeah, I read the handbook over at BG, wasn't much help), and what would you suggest for multi-classing or prestige classing? She wants to keep as much access to archivist spells as possible, but unfortunately keeps forgetting about her dark knowledge ability.

As far as flavor, she essentially wants to be a bookish valkyrie.

Vangor
2011-09-03, 06:01 PM
Never split from Archivist. Gain Rhinocerous' Rush, Divine Might, Divine Power, Elation, Ice Axe, and other buff spells. Use Dark Knowledge and the Knowledge Devotion feat.

Jopustopin
2011-09-04, 02:43 AM
She may as well finish Human Paragon to grab the bonus feat and +2 to intelligence (She doesn't lose Caster Levels).

The only real feat that meshes with the archivist is Knowledge DevotionCC.

At level 9 if she really wants to split out of Archivist do so for 1 level and make that level as a warbladeToB. This will grant you "Wall of Blades" and/or "Iron Heart Surge" and/or "White Raven Tactics." However I do not recommend losing any more caster levels.

She has a low BaB and so should focus on things in combat that she can do well until she gets Divine Power and Righteous Might (Cleric spells).

Archivist support Melee

1: Human Paragon (Adaptive Learning: Jump) (Weapon Proficiency: Guisarme) Combat ExpertiseLevel 1, Improved TripHuman Bonus
2. Archivist
3. Archivist Knowledge Devotion
4. Archivist (+2 Int)
5. Human Paragon Power AttackBonus Feat
6. Human Paragon Leap Attack
7 - 9. Archivist Improved Bull Rush
10 - 12. Archvist Shock Trooper
15. Martial Study: Wall of Blades
18. Extend Spell
With Divine Might and Righteous Might She'll have a strength score of 24 and be large and have reach and have a BAB equal to her character level. She can charge (using Leap Attack) and use shock trooper to dump her AC completely and giving herself a massive bonus to damage; HOWEVER she doesn't attack at the end of the charge she attempts to trip. If she succeeds then she takes the attack. When the creature stands up it provokes an AoO and she gets another attack (all attacks get the massive boost to her damage).

At level 15 it'll look like this:
She leaps 10 feet and charges taking a -15 to her armor class and giving herself +60 damage. She makes a touch attack (using her full bonus to hit) to initiate a trip. If she succeeds she gets a free attack on the prone creature and does +60 Damage. When he stands up she attacks again at +60 Damage. If the creature attacks back she initiates "Wall of Blades" to make an attack roll and replace the results of the attack roll with her armor class.

Knowledge Devotion: Complete Champion
Leap Attack: Complete Adventurer
Shock Trooper: Complete Warrior
Martial Study: Tome of Battle

P.S.
Do Not Lose Any More Caster Levels

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-04, 06:04 AM
Hmmm... I like it. Still, I'm not convinced that she's using the most of her Archivist class abilities.

What about PRCing out to full-caster classes with better BAB, like Sacred Exorcist or Stormlord for more warrior flavor? There's not always time to buff up with Righteous Might & friends before a battle gets started, and since she doesn't currently have access to turning, PMM is out of the question.

Are the Archivist class abilities just that awesome, and I should just encourage her to remember to use them instead of PRCing out?

Vangor
2011-09-04, 06:36 AM
The only ones I would recommend are Church Inquisitor for 1 or 2 levels (Inquisition Domain at 1st, Immune to Charms at 2nd), Contemplative for 1 or 2 levels (Bonus Domain at 1st, Slippery Mind at 2nd), or Sacred Exorcist for 1 level (Turn Undead only for DMM or similar). Archivist is solid on through 11th level, in my opinion. Those three PrCs can add to the character without losing caster levels, but the issue is the loss of skill ranks and dark knowledge progression; compare class abilities for when this might be worthwhile.

Unfortunately, a few such as the stormlord require feats without a great return compared to archivist class abilities with feats. For clerics, plenty of PrCs work well because clerics only have turn undead at first level.

Would encourage using the class abilities and knowledge devotion with pumped knowledge skills. Those alone can make an archivist viable in melee, though still rather fragile for a while. But there is such a huge list of possible spells for the archivist to use, some with extremely long durations, to build onto this. For me, flat archivist is the simplest and most worthwhile choice; PrCs which are not broken (tainted scholar, spelldancer, etc.) are only to be pursued with a purpose in mind.

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-04, 06:50 AM
Alright, got it. This is my first experience with an Archivist PC, so I really appreciate the advice. She grabbed Knowledge Devotion at 3rd level, so that looks good, just hasn't had much of a chance to put it into action yet.

Using skill checks to shore up attacks is a new idea for me (and the rest of the group), but I really like the concept. I'll work with her on that.

Thurbane
2011-09-04, 06:50 AM
You might find some ideas here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102447). There's a few full BAB 9/10 casting divine PrCs...

OverdrivePrime
2011-09-04, 07:35 AM
Very cool. Thanks Thurbane!