PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ur-priest entry?

begooler
2011-09-03, 10:51 AM
My fiance has been spending the morning looking at ur-priests as a potential replacement for his level 10 character.
We've been bouncing around ideas for what class(es) to take for the first five levels. I think the plan is to advance as an ur-priest rather than take another prc. (So no arcane/ur-priest/mystic theurge beholder mage etc.)

What's your favorite ur-priest entry you've played or thought up?

candycorn
2011-09-03, 11:05 AM
Savage Bard 5. Simple, straightforward, direct.

Elric VIII
2011-09-03, 11:32 AM
Savage Bard 5. Simple, straightforward, direct.

"I'm a rockin' nature-themed Bard. Now I hate god." :smalltongue:

For a more melee-oriented entry I like:
Duskblade 3/Fighter 1/Martial Rogue 1.

You have to stagger the Duskblade levels to get all the skills where you need them and spend most of the Rogue skill points on Bluff.

For a casting-oriented entry:
Wizard 5/Mindbender 1 is decent.

Mystic Theurge is not necessary and 3rd level arcane spells remain very useful for some time. Things like Knock, Lesser Celerity, Glitterdust, Invisibility, and Major Image remain useful even at low CLs. If you grab Practiced Spellcaster you can prepare Dispel Magic on you wizard side for maximum benefit and 100 minutes of Alter Self is certainly enough to be useful.

Urpriest
2011-09-03, 11:41 AM
Well Defiant is fun for the lulz, but it's not actually that useful.

candycorn
2011-09-03, 12:06 PM
For casting entry?

Savage Bard 5 / Ur Priest 2 / Savage Bard 3 / Sublime Chord 2 / Mystic Theurge 8

There.

For Melee entry?

Totemist 4 / Rogue 1 / Ur Priest 10 / Warshaper 5

Tyndmyr
2011-09-03, 12:14 PM
Wizard 5/Mindbender 1

Urpriest
2011-09-03, 12:16 PM
For casting entry?

Savage Bard 5 / Ur Priest 2 / Savage Bard 3 / Sublime Chord 2 / Mystic Theurge 8

There.

For Melee entry?

Totemist 4 / Rogue 1 / Ur Priest 10 / Warshaper 5

The latter needs to spend a feat to get Knowledge(Religion)

erikun
2011-09-03, 12:46 PM
Wizard 9/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8 + 1 level

Simple, effective, and no extra entry requirements. The last level depends on if you want an 11th caster level on your Ur-Priest spells or an extra feat from Wizard 10.

Zonugal
2011-09-03, 01:02 PM
It is a bit tricky to manage but 3rd-Level Paladin of Tyranny/3rd-Level HexBlade is a nice entry for those going for a dark & menacing feel. In addition it sets up your Ur-Priest easy access into Bone Knight!

Waker
2011-09-03, 01:06 PM
If I were going melee oriented for an Ur Priest I'd say
Hexblade 3/Duskblade 3/Ur Priest 10.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-03, 01:06 PM
It is a bit tricky to manage but 3rd-Level Paladin of Tyranny/3rd-Level HexBlade is a nice entry for those going for a dark & menacing feel. In addition it sets up your Ur-Priest easy access into Bone Knight!
Doesn't have the base Will save of +3 required, however. Savage Bard-5/Ur-Priest-X works well for an entry; Savage Bard-7/Ur-Priest-3/Sublime Chord-1/Mystic Theurge-9 can work well, but has a pesky issue in that it's often going to be considered cheesy (as you're using two fast-progression PrC's, and progressing them via a dual-progression PrC).

Urpriest
2011-09-03, 01:09 PM
For a casting-focused Ur-priest without PrCing out, you might do well with something like Factotum 8/Ur-priest X with a pile of FoI

AMFV
2011-09-03, 01:25 PM
Doesn't have the base Will save of +3 required, however. Savage Bard-5/Ur-Priest-X works well for an entry; Savage Bard-7/Ur-Priest-3/Sublime Chord-1/Mystic Theurge-9 can work well, but has a pesky issue in that it's often going to be considered cheesy (as you're using two fast-progression PrC's, and progressing them via a dual-progression PrC).

Actually will is Hexblade's only good save, so it should qualify on that count.

Zonugal
2011-09-03, 02:00 PM
Doesn't have the base Will save of +3 required, however.

It has a base Will save of +4 actually, so yeah it does.

etrpgb
2011-09-03, 07:36 PM
What about...
Monk 6/Ur-Priest ?

Many powers on wisdom...

NineThePuma
2011-09-03, 07:45 PM
DFA is amusing.

Optimator
2011-09-03, 09:42 PM
I like Warlock myself.

Urpriest
2011-09-03, 09:56 PM
What about...
Monk 6/Ur-Priest ?

Many powers on wisdom...

Doesn't meet the skill requirements without a bunch of extra feats.

Big Fau
2011-09-03, 10:12 PM
Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 2, or Hexblade 2/Pally of Tyranny 4 (with the CC variant to get a bonus feat).

Both are devoted to Sertrous, so even more bonus feats to replace the ones lost to Iron Will and Spell Focus: Evil. May or may not add in Crusader levels for RKV entry (minus Wee-Jas devotion).

begooler
2011-09-03, 10:25 PM
Couple of odd ones:

dragon shaman 3 or 4/ skilled class 1 or 2 (human paragon or factotum)/ ur-priest
Some armor, some hit points, the saves, auras that fit with a buffing role, abilitiy to pick up a few of the necessary skills from dragon shaman depending on the dragon totem chosen.

swordsage 3/fighter 1 (possibly thug) or swashbuckler 1/class with knowledges 1/ ur-priest
Wisdom synergy, a few diamond mind and shadow hand maneuvers that are just as handy for casters as they are for melee.

I think he's actually going with a dragon shaman of all things.

Jack_Simth
2011-09-03, 10:31 PM
Actually will is Hexblade's only good save, so it should qualify on that count.
Ah, right; keep forgetting that one. They're a warrior class, with Will as a good save - not the norm.

Psyren
2011-09-03, 11:43 PM
I like Warlock myself.

This, especially with a Binder dip so you can go into Eldritch Disciple and Hellfire Warlock later - netting you 9ths, a Dark, great class features and a powerful Hellfire Blast whose con damage you heal every round. Also, Binder gives you the fort save necessary for Ur-Priest.

Warlock 1/Binder 1/Warlock +3/Ur-Priest 2/Eldritch Disciple 9/HFW 3/ED +1

Spells as Ur-Priest 10 (9ths)
Invocations as Warlock 17 (1 Dark)
8d6 Eldritch Blast (14d6 Hellfire)

gorfnab
2011-09-06, 12:38 AM
Human Paragon 1/ Crusader 4/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Crusader 3

Cieyrin
2011-09-06, 11:36 AM
Not an entry but I heard Ur Priest/Void Disciple is a fun mix. Have to NE but you'll get to 9ths with fun class features.

subject42
2011-09-06, 11:37 AM
I like the incarnate method of entry, if only because of contemplative + sapphire hierarch.

Calintares
2011-09-06, 02:24 PM
Expert4/Warrior1

Thought it up as a challenge for myself getting the earliest entry with the weakest classes.

Cofniben
2011-09-06, 03:32 PM
Human Duskblade 5 with Able Learner. Have a 16 Intelligence to have all the skills, and you are good for Ur-Priest at 6th. Then take Mystic Theurge at 8th level to boost both spell casting levels. The extra an skill points are worth it in my opinion.

AMFV
2011-09-06, 03:45 PM
Human Duskblade 5 with Able Learner. Have a 16 Intelligence to have all the skills, and you are good for Ur-Priest at 6th. Then take Mystic Theurge at 8th level to boost both spell casting levels. The extra an skill points are worth it in my opinion.

Also Arcane Channeling is definitely an awesome ability for this.

ranagrande
2011-09-06, 05:01 PM
Bard 1/Wizard 5/Duskblade 3/Ur-Priest 2/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 8

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:14 PM
Totemist 4 / Rogue 1 / Ur Priest 10 / Warshaper 5Aside from Know (Religion) UrPriest mentioned, that only has +1 Will at level 5.

Devmaar
2011-09-06, 05:48 PM

This can't meet the skill reqs, able learner doesn't raise max ranks for cross class skills

AMFV
2011-09-06, 06:03 PM
This can't meet the skill reqs, able learner doesn't raise max ranks for cross class skills

True, which sucks as channeling spells is pretty awesome. If they take Apprentice (Criminal) they can add bluff to their class skill list for the first five levels and then should be able to afford it with cross class skills though.

Amphetryon
2011-09-06, 08:22 PM
Hexblade 4 (Dark Companion)/Feat Rogue 2/Ur-Priest.

Probably have to stack ACFs for K(Religion).

dspeyer
2011-09-06, 11:08 PM
Human Paragon 1/ Crusader 4/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Crusader 3

While this is RAW-legal, it requires you to take Spell Focus (evil) while unable to cast any spells. Definite loss of style points, and may get the dmg thrown at you. Plus painful if you're starting below level 5.

There were other entries with this issue. The quoted is just the one I clicked.

Cofniben
2011-09-06, 11:53 PM

It still does meet the skill requirements because you have a minimum of level+3, and last I checked 5+3=8, which is the highest skill rank required for any of the abilities for the class. And I checked both Complete Divine and Book of Vile Darkness for it, and only 8 is high enough. Granted you do have to take Able Learner at first level, which is written in the feat description for it, so I don't know where you are getting your math for it, but it works out. Sure they are cross class skills, but they only require 1 skill point to have them in, and thus you just need enough skill points to have the 6 skills you need maxed to enter at level 5.

Also in what I said earlier (16) +3 int + 1 human + 2 Duskblade = 6 Skills maxed ranks.

Cofniben
2011-09-06, 11:55 PM
Bard 1/Wizard 5/Duskblade 3/Ur-Priest 2/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 8

I hope you understand that only one spell casting Arcane and Divine class can be increased through Ur-Priest, so that build is kinda pointless, except for maybe Sublime Chord because I never seen it before.

vampire2948
2011-09-07, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately, my group would never let me near Ur-Priest, which is a shame, since I'm playing a character who's purpose is to teach the deities of her setting that mortals' lives shouldn't be played with for amusement.

If I could play one, I'd probably enter through Warlock, Binder, or one of those Incarnum classes. I love having all-day abilities along with spellcasting, helps save on a spell or two.

Devmaar
2011-09-07, 07:22 AM
It still does meet the skill requirements because you have a minimum of level+3, and last I checked 5+3=8, which is the highest skill rank required for any of the abilities for the class. And I checked both Complete Divine and Book of Vile Darkness for it, and only 8 is high enough. Granted you do have to take Able Learner at first level, which is written in the feat description for it, so I don't know where you are getting your math for it, but it works out. Sure they are cross class skills, but they only require 1 skill point to have them in, and thus you just need enough skill points to have the 6 skills you need maxed to enter at level 5.

Also in what I said earlier (16) +3 int + 1 human + 2 Duskblade = 6 Skills maxed ranks.

Able Learner does not add skills to your class list, the max ranks for cross class skills is (level+3)/2, so 4, you can't get enough ranks for Bluff

Urpriest
2011-09-07, 09:21 AM
I hope you understand that only one spell casting Arcane and Divine class can be increased through Ur-Priest, so that build is kinda pointless, except for maybe Sublime Chord because I never seen it before.

You mean Mystic Theurge, and Sublime Chord is the whole point. It's the Arcane equivalent of Ur-Priest. That build doesn't advance Bard or Wizard past the levels shown, Mystic Theurge advanced Ur-Priest and Sublime Chord.

Psyren
2011-09-07, 09:48 AM
While this is RAW-legal, it requires you to take Spell Focus (evil) while unable to cast any spells. Definite loss of style points, and may get the dmg thrown at you.

Why? Fluff is mutable. Spell Focus (Evil) simply represents a talent with profane magic - this could be the result of a dark prophecy, a fiendish bargain, being born with a birthmark in the shape of a dead god's symbol, a curse on my family line which I decided to embrace, or any of the myriad things that could lead me to pursue the path of Ur-Priesthood in the first place.

Some people are extremely talented with a particular musical instrument, but never know it until they actually pick one up; similarly, some people are predisposed to drawing or dancing. It's the same thing.

ghost_warlock
2011-09-07, 12:30 PM
Monk 2, Duskblade 3, Ur-Priest 2, Sacred Fist 10, Enlightened Fist 3 (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sacrilegious_Fist)

hex0
2011-09-08, 06:43 PM

Don't you mean Human Paragon 1/Duskblade 3/Human Paragon 2?:smallcool: