PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Handling XP

evillemming
2011-09-03, 11:48 AM
I am running my first Pathfinder game, and the first game I have run in several years of any type, and the characters are getting close to leveling the first time -- and most of their xp will come from quests, not killing monsters.

This is a general question out there, but how do YOU handle xp? IE, how does saving the kidnapped little girl stack up against solving a dungeon puzzle stack up against defeating a group of monsters.

I pretty much know how I am going to do it, and I have read though the section on the SRD, but I was just curious how other DM's go though the process... Are you "by the book" or do your players level when you feel they should level?

mint
2011-09-03, 12:14 PM
The rate at which your party gains experience is predictable. Either you do a lot of arithmetic or you define a rough rate of level gain by session.
I find the pay-off for doing it by the book and assigning xp values to objectives to be meh.
I like it sometimes. Can enforce sandbox feel. The players are in control and they can essentially "farm" experience to acquire power and accomplish their goals.
My group is trying a voting system for XP right now. We defined a handful of qualities as important for a fun session and rate them. Based on how much fun we've had we get through levels at differing rates since the formulae is based on our current level.
It is pretty good.