PDA

View Full Version : Interested in getting/learning to play a keyboard

Dr.Epic
2011-09-03, 12:17 PM
(Keyboard not as in computer part, but musical keyboard in case I actually needed to clarify that)

I don't. I feel like I should learn how to play a musical instrument. Plus, I'm undertaking a project and it'd be nice to produce my own music for it (though, music isn't required, but still be nice). I'd need like high fantasy music which would be difficult with a keyboard, but I guess something like the theme to Never Ending Story would suffice so I guess I could work with a more electronic theme. I've looked and I could get one for $100 bucks. I'm just wondering if that's a good price for a first keyboard. I'm not even sure how far I'd go with this. I'm not very musically proficient so it may take me longer to be good. Not sure if I could pay for lessons, but I'm sure there are books that could teach me.

So, anyone have any advice why this is a good or bad idea?

AsteriskAmp
2011-09-03, 12:31 PM
(Keyboard not as in computer part, but musical keyboard in case I actually needed to clarify that)

I don't. I feel like I should learn how to play a musical instrument. Plus, I'm undertaking a project and it'd be nice to produce my own music for it (though, music isn't required, but still be nice). I'd need like high fantasy music which would be difficult with a keyboard, but I guess something like the theme to Never Ending Story would suffice so I guess I could work with a more electronic theme. I've looked and I could get one for $100 bucks. I'm just wondering if that's a good price for a first keyboard. I'm not even sure how far I'd go with this. I'm not very musically proficient so it may take me longer to be good. Not sure if I could pay for lessons, but I'm sure there are books that could teach me.

So, anyone have any advice why this is a good or bad idea?
For price I can't really comment, you'd have to provide more information, model and brand specifically. 100$ sound like TOO cheap to be a decent keyboard, specially if you want to actually produce quality sound.

As for high fantasy music, odds are you'll want an actual electric piano or a synth, most have sound libraries, which allow you to have a full orchestra at your disposal. As for learning piano, you can't expect proficiency without at least a full year of practice and lessons (self-teaching in music is REALLY complex if you want to learn properly [with books and actual theory], the alternative, learning by hearing and trial and error requires actual devotion to the instrument and constant experimentation, and odds are you won't learn to read, which will mean you won't be able to use sheet music, so yes, teacher is a good idea).

As for books... you will notice they aren't cheap, they are VERY expensive, specially if you want a decent theory and practice teaching book, and even then, those are made for piano instructors, not for self teaching.

In my experience, the fastest method to getting what you want fast, would be not trying to learn the fullness of theory but just what you need:
Hand independence, and then chords. As for the music you want, if you know chords you just have to identify the melody and get the guitar tabs for the chords (which you play on your left hand).

Now, if you REALLY want to learn piano as an instrument, then get a teacher and tell him what your goal is ("I do not wish to be the next Liszt, I just want to play this sort of songs and read properly"). And if you DO want to learn properly: LEARN TO READ!, that's the most important skill you'll ever want to have.

Aidan305
2011-09-03, 01:02 PM
I think the first thing you should ask yourself is what do you want to do with the instrument you learn to play. A piano isn't exactly the most portable of instruments, so if you want to be able to bring your instrument and play with your friends I'd be more inclined to recommend guitar.

If you want something to fiddle around with, and make your own music, Piano/keyboard is probably the better way to go (at least in my opinion). Most guitar stuff will end up limited to chords and you can go a long way beyond that with a piano/keyboard.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-03, 01:06 PM
I think the first thing you should ask yourself is what do you want to do with the instrument you learn to play. A piano isn't exactly the most portable of instruments, so if you want to be able to bring your instrument and play with your friends I'd be more inclined to recommend guitar.

If you want something to fiddle around with, and make your own music, Piano/keyboard is probably the better way to go (at least in my opinion). Most guitar stuff will end up limited to chords and you can go a long way beyond that with a piano/keyboard.

A keyboard isn't portable? How big are they: like the size of an ironing board right? Don't a lot of them have legs that either fold up or you can screw off.

I'd still like to learn keyboard. I would probably want to fiddle around and make my own music as you say.

AsteriskAmp
2011-09-03, 01:08 PM
A keyboard isn't portable? How big are they: like the size of an ironing board right? Don't a lot of them have legs that either fold up or you can screw off.

I'd still like to learn keyboard. I would probably want to fiddle around and make my own music as you say.

There are also keytars.
Also, you again probably just want hand independence and chords.

Phishfood
2011-09-03, 02:21 PM

Yeah, keyboards are pretty portable.

Probably "best" for "cheapest" would be a MIDI controller keyboard. The idea is that you hook them up to a PC and the keyboard just serves as an input, the computer does the work. That way you get something physically solid but can spend the money on soundfonts and such later.

Aidan305
2011-09-03, 03:46 PM

Depends on the keyboard. I've had some pretty large ones. My current one will just about fit in the car.

Probably "best" for "cheapest" would be a MIDI controller keyboard. The idea is that you hook them up to a PC and the keyboard just serves as an input, the computer does the work. That way you get something physically solid but can spend the money on soundfonts and such later.
Agreed.

Lady Moreta
2011-09-04, 12:24 AM
I've gotta agree, $100 sounds almost too cheap. Would probably do just for learning on though, just don't expect great sound out of it.

A friend of mine owns three keyboards (I think, it might only be two at this point). They are all very high quality and each one cost at least $1,000, if not more. You can definitely the the high quality sound you'd be looking for out of them, but unless you're going to be really serious about learning and playing, I very much doubt whether it'd be worth the expense. My friend's ones are portable (but probably wouldn't fit in a normal sedan, he owns a station wagon) and he has separate stands for them. I don't know for sure, but I suspect only the cheapest keyboards actually come with a stand attached these days.

AsteriskAmp
2011-09-04, 12:44 AM
I've gotta agree, $100 sounds almost too cheap. Would probably do just for learning on though, just don't expect great sound out of it.

A friend of mine owns three keyboards (I think, it might only be two at this point). They are all very high quality and each one cost at least $1,000, if not more. You can definitely the the high quality sound you'd be looking for out of them, but unless you're going to be really serious about learning and playing, I very much doubt whether it'd be worth the expense. My friend's ones are portable (but probably wouldn't fit in a normal sedan, he owns a station wagon) and he has separate stands for them. I don't know for sure, but I suspect only the cheapest keyboards actually come with a stand attached these days.
I believe not even the cheapest keyboards get the stand attached (all come with a stand, but it is always separated, the more expensive the higher the chances it won't be fixed and can be folded).

Also, while keyboards are relatively cheap (1000$ nets you a high end keyboard, and the high yield range is the cheapest of the keyed instruments) they are not probably what you want. While yes, it's good to start on the cheapest possible, when you buy the expensive version what you probably want will either be a synth (all of them are made for sound recording and mixing), like said before a MIDI controller (if proficient with sound editing and music writing) or a Clavinova (if you actually like the instrument and also like to record, certain lines have Mixing including, all have MIDI IN/OUT, Instrument bank and realistic Piano sound), mind, a Clavinova is darn expensive, a synth can feel limiting since getting extra octaves raises the price considerably and a MIDI controller is only useful if you are better at sound editing and music writing than piano playing.

As for portability:
Keyboards are the most portable.
Synths are portable but they usually require additional equipment (amplifiers, some haven't even got included speakers)
MIDI Controller Keyboards vary, but most are small.
Keytar you only have one hand available but is a guitar but better.
Clavinova unless you LOVE your Clavinova and NEED to take it to a concert, odds are you won't ever move it from where you install it.

If you expressed what you actually intend to do I could elaborate more into what you should be getting.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-04, 08:08 AM
Yeah, keyboards are pretty portable.

Hmmm...might just go with this than. How much do they usually go for and how good can I expect the sound to be?