PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] 2 Dip or not 2 Dip

Diminished5th
2011-09-03, 12:44 PM
I’m currently working on a mounted Halfling paladin archer build for Society play, and I am wondering if I should dip two levels of fighter or go straight pally. It seems that two levels of fighter would get me two more feats, and more importantly, significant archer feats early on. But, it gimps smiting ability a little and loses one attack and significantly delays the second attack when compared to the straight paladin build.

Which route is the better option?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-09-03, 12:54 PM
I’m currently working on a mounted Halfling paladin archer build for Society play, and I am wondering if I should dip two levels of fighter or go straight pally. It seems that two levels of fighter would get me two more feats, and more importantly, significant archer feats early on. But, it gimps smiting ability a little and loses one attack and significantly delays the second attack when compared to the straight paladin build.

Which route is the better option?

What do you mean "it loses one attack and significantly delays the second attack"?

magusoftheCore
2011-09-03, 12:58 PM
When multiclassing, you add the total BAB of both classes to get your actual BAB. Since fighter is a full BAB class, you would still have all four of your normal iterative attacks at 20. I say dip away, the feats may be more important to your build

Diminished5th
2011-09-03, 03:42 PM
Thanks Magus!

Arutema
2011-09-03, 05:29 PM
Be warned, that unless you pay a feat tax like Boon Companion, you'll lose 2 levels of mount advancement.

navar100
2011-09-03, 06:40 PM
Add in favored class bonus, Pathfinder really does try to encourage staying single class. However, the question to yourself shouldn't be "How much do I suck as a Paladin as a Paladin X/Fighter 2 rather than Paladin X+2?". Even in 3E multilassing by its nature means a single class character will be "better" in that class than multiclass character in that class. What you should ask yourself is if those two levels in Fighter for the feats makes your character awesome for you. Your Paladin X/Fighter 2 will have two more feats than every Paladin X+2 everywhere, if it makes you feel any better.

Drothmal
2011-09-03, 10:58 PM
Quick advice: Look up the holy hunter archetype from UC, IIRC, it gives you precise shot in exchange for your heavy armor prof. That way you get an extra feat

Psyren
2011-09-04, 04:02 AM
Your attack won't be delayed, but plenty of other things will - e.g. mount advancement, spells, mercies, auras, and smiting. Whether all that is worth it or not depends on the feats you want and why.

(I'd rather have the magic myself)