PDA

View Full Version : (PF)/(3.5) Complete Gear questions

APersonAmI
2011-09-03, 12:50 PM
I am planning on GMing a campaign in Pathfinder. The Complete Gear take on magical equipment interests me, both from a practical and a thematic standpoint. but there are a few things I wonder about.

First of all, Pathfinder usually makes it hard, outside of crafting, to get ahold of specific magic gear. I do not know the reason for this. How does the different availability affect game balance?

Second, mundane items. The Complete Gear book seems to chalk down mundane equipment as unremarkable. I wonder, in a campaign with Complete Gear, how should a GM regulate what the players get? What about Mounts, dog companions, full plate expensive armors, ammunition and various containers such as flasks and vials? Should all of this be easily available in endless amounts, and in that case from which levels?

Third, in a usual game, using a scroll, wand or potion means you have permanently weakened your character, something I dislike, especially since the most effective healing is by wand. On the other hand, this makes Potions, wands, scrolls, and psionic equivalents a more desirable choice. How can that affect a game? What should i look out for? If items of the same cost have materials that might not be as present in the game, how does that tip the balance? For instance, the base materials for Wands(twigs) Scrolls(paper) and Potions(Liquid in a container of any sort) seems a lot easier to find lying around than crystals and tattoos.

Lastly, but by far most importantly, how does Complete Gear change the amount of enjoyment one can get out of a game, in your experience?

rgd20
2011-09-04, 11:30 AM
First of all, Pathfinder usually makes it hard, outside of crafting, to get ahold of specific magic gear. I do not know the reason for this. How does the different availability affect game balance?

I've just started a PF game (party is now 3rd level) and I haven't notcied this.

What do you mean "hard to get hold of"?

Krazzman
2011-09-04, 11:44 AM
It's like the distribution of magic stuff in 3.5.

Make a **** about WBL(?) and just design the treasury. If your group happens to have a fighter that focuses on Scimitars? Why not change that +1 Shortsword with an +1 Scimitar?

I personally don't like when every treasure is exactly sewed for the character. Instead I like some slightly differences. Example: The fighter has a Bastardsword/Katana and wields it twohanded, why not just instead of giving him a Sword, give him a Greadsword, or even an Greataxe.

Just bring in some money, so they can buy their stuff themselves.

Flask and so on are paid by the instruction. You can say: no there is no paper in that town due to the raids on the merchant caravans. Tada plothook :D.

Either way, material for crafting should be able to reach, even if it has to be through a Quest.

Have a nice day,
Krazzman