PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Music: Inspire Courage and Ranged (or not) Touch spells

Rinomi
2011-09-03, 04:00 PM
I was recently reading through the Complete Arcane and decided to reread the section on ranged touch spells, I always realized that point blank shot increased the attack roll, but I didn't realize that it also boosted the damage as well. Since it does, does that mean my bard can boost the party sorcerer's damage on lets say, Melf's Acid Arrow in addition to the ranged touch attack roll with Inspire Courage?

Optimator
2011-09-03, 09:38 PM
The rule is: Extraordinary bonuses to damage work on spells but supernatural bonuses do not work on spells. Inspire courage aid's the attack but not the damage of spells. Dark Knowledge, Knowledge Devotion, and Point Blank Shot do increase the damage of (weaponlike, etc)spells.

Coidzor
2011-09-03, 10:00 PM
So bardic music doesn't help out ze warlock, eh?

Zaq
2011-09-03, 10:01 PM
The rule is: Extraordinary bonuses to damage work on spells but supernatural bonuses do not work on spells. Inspire courage aid's the attack but not the damage of spells. Dark Knowledge, Knowledge Devotion, and Point Blank Shot do increase the damage of (weaponlike, etc)spells.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd appreciate a source on that.

Keld Denar
2011-09-03, 10:28 PM
Inspire Courage explicitly calls out weapon damage. While some spells are weaponlike, they are not actual weapons.

faceroll
2011-09-04, 02:14 AM
Inspire Courage explicitly calls out weapon damage. While some spells are weaponlike, they are not actual weapons.

What about weapons that are "treated like a weapon"? Like flame blade or ice axe?

Gwendol
2011-09-04, 02:24 AM
I'm leaning towards "yes" on that one. They are actual weapons after all. Spiritual weapon, as a comparison, explicitly strikes as a spell. That wording is not found in the description of the weapon-creating spells.

Fizban
2011-09-04, 05:19 AM
Yup. Use Dragonfire Inspiration with Flame Blade to put flames on your flames and burn while you scorch. Note that some of the "weapon made of magic" spells don't actually count as weapons (such as Blade of Pain and Fear), so check carefully.

Rinomi
2011-09-04, 11:24 AM
Hey thanks everyone for your input it was very helpful, the sorcerer might be a little disappointed but she can always cast fireball or something to compensate

Optimator
2011-09-04, 04:52 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd appreciate a source on that.
The section on weaponlike spells in CA, of course. Page 85.