PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Preparing Divine Spells in Arcane Slots

theonesin
2011-09-04, 01:48 AM
A fellow player was mentioning such a feat to me, but couldn't quite remember the feat's name, or if it really exists. I found something similar in Alternative Source Spell, but while it makes a divine spell into an arcane one(and vise versa), it still takes up the spell's original slot. I'm looking for a way to prepare a divine spell and take up an arcane slot.

Does the feat we're thinking of exist?

Psyren
2011-09-04, 02:05 AM
What do you mean by "prepare a divine spell and have it take up an arcane slot?" Do you mean a class like Mystic Theurge that has both kinds, being able to prepare spells of either type on either side, or something else?

It sounds like Southern Magician, the counterpart to ASS, won't help you - that feat modifies spells as they are cast and explicitly does not change their method of preparation.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-04, 02:07 AM
Are you sure it's not the other way around? The Clerical Spell domain has Anyspell, which allows preparing an arcane spell in a domain slot. And then there's the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, allowing Wizard spells to be prepared in Ranger or Paladin slots.

theonesin
2011-09-04, 02:12 AM
What do you mean by "prepare a divine spell and have it take up an arcane slot?" Do you mean a class like Mystic Theurge that has both kinds, being able to prepare spells of either type on either side, or something else?

I'm not sure how to explain it better than that. I was just told that this feat or whatever would allow you to prepare divine spells in arcane slots(so the spell would take up an arcane slot instead of a divine one).

I'm actually playing a Wizard 3/War Weaver 5/Archivist 1/Mystic Theurge 1 now. The idea was that since I have higher level arcane slots than divine ones, I could get this feat, learn a divine spell that I normally wouldn't have the slot to cast, and prepare it in an arcane slot instead.

theonesin
2011-09-06, 01:35 PM
Anyone have any ideas about this?

dextercorvia
2011-09-06, 01:38 PM
I believe you are looking for Southern Magician. Limited times per day, you can preparecast an arcane spell as divine or vise versa.

NNescio
2011-09-06, 01:54 PM
I believe you are looking for Southern Magician. Limited times per day, you can prepare an arcane spell as divine or vise versa.

No, the feat lets you cast an arcane spell as divine or vice versa. It explicitly mentions that the method of preparation does not change.

...The actual source of the spell's power doesn't change, nor does its means of preparation.

dextercorvia
2011-09-06, 02:27 PM
No, the feat lets you cast an arcane spell as divine or vice versa. It explicitly mentions that the method of preparation does not change.

In that case, it sound even more like what he was describing.

theonesin
2011-09-15, 03:34 PM
So I guess a feat that does exactly what I was talking about doesn't exist?

Curmudgeon
2011-09-15, 04:55 PM
I think that's right. Frankly, there ought to be some limits on a Wizard's spellcasting power.

Coidzor
2011-09-15, 07:56 PM
Well, there's the exact opposite of that in the form of the feat "Sword of the Arcane Order" from Champions of Valor for Paladins and Rangers, allowing them to prep wizard spells in their divine slots.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-15, 08:35 PM
Are you sure it's not the other way around? The Clerical Spell domain has Anyspell, which allows preparing an arcane spell in a domain slot. And then there's the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, allowing Wizard spells to be prepared in Ranger or Paladin slots.

Well, there's the exact opposite of that in the form of the feat "Sword of the Arcane Order" from Champions of Valor for Paladins and Rangers, allowing them to prep wizard spells in their divine slots.
Gee, I wonder why I didn't think of that? :smallconfused:

Safety Sword
2011-09-15, 08:45 PM
Gee, I wonder why I didn't think of that? :smallconfused:

Usually I would tell you to stop being so curmudgeonly... but... you know :smalltongue:

Anyspell is also the only way I can think of doing what the OP wants. Maybe someone already said that too.. :xykon:

*runs*

EDIT: Yes, I know that's not what the OP wanted... thought it was worth it anyway :smallamused:

Niceman
2011-09-16, 10:13 AM
I don't think this is what you're talking about but it's similar... In the Complete Divine there's the Arcane Disciple Feat (pg. 79)

"Choose a deity and then select a domain available to clerics of that deity. You can learn to cast the spells associated with that domain as arcane spells."

So yes, not the same but does allow you in a limited fashion to get a few arcane versions of spells.

Milo v3
2011-09-18, 03:14 AM
According to what is says on page 179 in the PBH a wizard can learn any spell as they can add any spell from a scroll to their spellbook and cast it.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-18, 07:02 AM
According to what is says on page 179 in the PBH a wizard can learn any spell No, that's not right. Those are the rules for adding spells to your book, but they're just part of the rules regulating how a Wizard learns and casts spells.

as they can add any spell from a scroll to their spellbook Sure; it's a book, so you can write down anything you want.

and cast it. Nope; that's the failure point.
Spells

A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. It doesn't matter what's in the book if you have no clue how to use what's there. Let's try an analogy: you can faithfully copy a French gourmet recipe into your personal cookbook. Having that recipe written down doesn't give you any linguistic skills to understand French, nor does it impart the culinary knowledge necessary to know how to make a roux when the recipe includes that ingredient. So having a divine spell in your Wizard spellbook is just wasted pages; you can only cast what you can understand.

Milo v3
2011-09-18, 07:14 AM
No, that's not right. Those are the rules for adding spells to your book, but they're just part of the rules regulating how a Wizard learns and casts spells.
Sure; it's a book, so you can write down anything you want.
Nope; that's the failure point. It doesn't matter what's in the book if you have no clue how to use what's there. Let's try an analogy: you can faithfully copy a French gourmet recipe into your personal cookbook. Having that recipe written down doesn't give you any linguistic skills to understand French, nor does it impart the culinary knowledge necessary to know how to make a roux when the recipe includes that ingredient. So having a divine spell in your Wizard spellbook is just wasted pages; you can only cast what you can understand.

No where in it does it actually say that they can't cast divine spells.

But that example aside.
What if you get a Young Red Dragon. It can cast Inflict Minor Wounds.
Now say that Young Red Dragon has Scribe Scroll. It creates a scroll of Inflict Minor wounds. A wizard finds it and can then put it his spell book. He can then cast it. Also note that works as True Dragons cast there "natural" cleric spells as Arcane spells.

Curmudgeon
2011-09-18, 07:20 AM
No where in it does it actually say that they can't cast divine spells.
It doesn't say Barbarians, Monks, and Rogues can't cast divine spells, either. You need to have something that says they can do that, because it's not a capability available generally.

As for the dragon scroll, the Wizard is still required to follow the "drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list" rule.

2xMachina
2011-09-18, 07:21 AM
Nowhere does it say that a commoner can't cast Wish at will.

Saintheart
2011-09-19, 10:37 PM
Just find a convenient evil node (Champions of Ruin) and have the feat Node Spellcasting. One arcane or divine spell as you like, cast out of your own spell slots.

Saintheart
2011-09-20, 01:48 AM
Or, if you're undead, Spell Drain from Libris Mortis on a willing cohort. :smallcool: