PDA

View Full Version : Shapesand!

Vizzerdrix
2011-09-04, 02:40 AM
Because it deserves a thread for being amazing! :smallsmile:

But honestly, Sandstorm is vague about what it can specifically do and just how complex of an item it can make. The only limit mentioned is by size, but what of weight, complexity or density? Could it be enchanted if formed into a weapon? What if some is made into a spell component pouch?

Also if anyone has any advice or stories about Shapesand I'd love to hear them.

Big Fau
2011-09-04, 11:20 AM
First, Shapesand cannot be enchanted because you cannot turn it into a MWK item.

Second, you can turn Shapesand into Major Artifacts by RAW. Have fun!

BruceWaayne
2013-09-14, 12:09 AM
Wow, I can't believe I never noticed this item before, it is incredible (pg 102, Sandstorm).

Question about how it works though, do you have to shape the sand like playdoh to make it into what you want; or can you do something like toss a big handful (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makhverAuo1qcugvso1_500.gif)at someone's face and have it form an Iron Mask around them? Or even something less sinister like throw some sand at their eyes and give them eyeglasses?

Vortenger
2013-09-14, 11:59 AM
I have a question concerning shapesand. How does the playground adjudicate the volume that can be crafted? Is it 12 lbs of material? Or is it based on the mass of sand (roughly 1 cubic foot per jar of sand)? 12 lbs of goods seems better than 1 cubic foot of whatever, but both seem to be valid interpretations.

Zero grim
2013-09-14, 12:51 PM
Awesome I was planning on using a shape sand guy in the next session, they way I think is a fair interpretation is the following points.

You can use shape sand to make any mundane item out of a non-exotic material, it works the same as a non-masterwork version of that item. (no magic or alchemical items)

Shape sand can have moving parts like joints but cannot move under its own power while not being shaped (so you could make a pulley with it but not an engine)

Shape sand can move to form an object but cannot be used to attack or move anything else (id treat it as something without a strength score)

Shape sand inherits the hardness of the object it mimics, usually iron or steel for most things, it it also maintains the hit points but when destroyed it just becomes uncontrolled shape sand again.

Shapesand can mimic anything so long as the weight remains the same.

Hows that, i think that covers pretty much everything, though by RAW I suppose you could use shape sand to do just about anything :P

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-14, 02:22 PM
I never thought I'd see this post again.

Remember kids, Necro posting is sub optimal.

Vortenger
2013-09-14, 03:38 PM
Someone else broke the ice on the necro, made more sense to ask here than to make a new thread.

LordBlade
2018-07-22, 04:36 PM
Here's a question for this old thread.

Can shapesand be used as a projectile? Like Garaa's sand blasts in Naruto, where he's basically launch spears of the stuff at people?

Shinoskay
2022-07-24, 01:09 PM
Here's a question for this old thread.

Can shapesand be used as a projectile? Like Garaa's sand blasts in Naruto, where he's basically launch spears of the stuff at people?

Only if you form a cannon, or gun, from the sand and shoot it. And the max range, naturally, will be 100 unless you somehow find some kind of sand gun that has a longer range.

truemane
2022-07-25, 07:24 AM
Metamagic Mod: how about shaping Necrosand?