PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a new group?

Cranica
2011-09-04, 03:47 AM
I've been a loyal OOTS reader for a while, and got bored a few weeks ago and spent a little time reading through the SRD. It sounded fun, so I found three other interested people, none of whom have any experience with D&D either, to give it a try. Since I have at least a rough idea of how it works, I'll probably be DMing.

Are there any particular pitfalls I should watch out for? Any special preparations (beyond, say, having some encounters and a rough sketch of a storyline?) that I should be aware of? For the moment, we'll probably just be working off of core spells and classes (no sourcebooks), if that matters. Everyone involved has some experience with more mainstream RPGs (mostly MMOs), but not with tabletop systems.

Maethirion
2011-09-04, 04:25 AM
I would suggest trying to get hold of at least one copy of the core rulebooks (Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual (Probably optional to begin with)) if you can. While the SRD really does help, it is a reference document and it doesn't have everything that you need. For example, it's missing XP charts. Putting it simply, having the books just makes it a lot easier.

As for running your first session, be prepared to spend a lot of time on character creation and the rules. Prep-wise, you'll have to find your own personal style of DMing. Some people prefer to have all eventualities planned out, and some prefer to just have vague thoughts and a few encounters and work from there.

First time though, I'd recommend getting hold of an adventure module just to get yourself into the swing of things. The Wizards website has a few, and A Dark and Stormy Knight and The Burning Plague are quite good. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1)

Overall, just keep positive, don't be afraid to make a call if you can't find a rule for it and have fun. I'm sure you'll be having a great time with your friends soon :smallsmile:

Jayh
2011-09-04, 12:09 PM
1) Dont be a jerk.
2) Rule of Cool
3) Rule of Fun

I rarely let the rules get in the way of "OMG THAT WAS AWESOME"

Amphetryon
2011-09-04, 12:19 PM
The first question I always try to ask a new player when I DM is: "Tell me about the character in your head." The answers you get should help guide character choices as well as storylines. If folks are talking about making faux Bedouin raiders in a desert campaign, starting them out aboard ship mucks with everyone's expectations of a good time. Ditto starting a group of pirate-wannabes in the desert.

Have a general idea of the plot, but don't become wedded to it; no DM plans survive contact with a group of player characters. If you know the way your other players are likely to react, you'll be better able to roll with the punches. If they throw you for a loop, don't be afraid to call for a quick "I need to figure this out" break, but try to emphasize "quick".

Jayh
2011-09-04, 12:29 PM
I also tend to do the improv method of Yes And

"Is there a library in this town?"
"Yes, and its (haunted/restricted/on fire)"

"Whats the security in town? Is there a sheriff?"
"Yes, and hes looking for you for (a crime, quest, questioning)"

etc

Cranica
2011-09-05, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the help - "Yes and" will be very useful, I think :D