PDA

View Full Version : Flying Carpet Combat

Elric VIII
2011-09-04, 12:40 PM
I have recently advised a fellow player in a campaign to purchase a Carpet of Flying. We ran into a bit of trouble when it came to actually using it, however.

His character has pounce. Would he be able to charge on a carpet in the same way one would on a mount (and get a full attack)?

Also, the item seems rather overpriced. Are there any other Flying Carpet-like items*?

Specifically, things that can potentially carry multiple people or be easily transfered between people in a combat situation.

Jayh
2011-09-04, 12:47 PM
Ive always wanted to conquer a cloud giant castle... I expect a lot of the mechanics are a same, if you find a peripherial wisp to fight on

gbprime
2011-09-04, 01:08 PM
A Broom of Flying is a bit cheaper, but otherwise no. Permanent flight items are just plain old pricey.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-04, 01:18 PM
A Broom of Flying is a bit cheaper, but otherwise no. Permanent flight items are just plain old pricey.

Wouldn't making it a sloted item cheapen it up more? I remember there was a price modifier for slotless.

sreservoir
2011-09-04, 02:46 PM
well, the mask of flying gives you fly at will and lights up for some reason.

it doesn't specify that you can only target yourself.

gbprime
2011-09-04, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't making it a sloted item cheapen it up more? I remember there was a price modifier for slotless.

You can always make something custom, but he was asking about items easily shared during combat. For that reason, awesome items like Celestial Armor are kind of out.

But even a custom item is expensive. Fly as a 3rd level in a use-activated item works out to 3x5x1800 = 27,000 gp.

sreservoir
2011-09-04, 03:44 PM
(mask of flying is, like, 13k, not that bad.)

but if you can craft it yourself: at-will command word swift fly is only 10800 (and it eats your swift when you want to fly; RC says spell-emulating items require the same action to activate). hell, master air on druid 2 is pretty good, too, though it's a standard-action round/level.

if you get into a wizard's college (which has its own costs), then you a spellcaster can craft it at 60% cost, 80% if you pay someone to provide the XP with transference or something, without even having item creation feats. see silver marches.

restricting it to having a skill everyone agrees to take gives you 10% off on it's price.

there are lots of spells, and it's not hard to get things cheaply.

Elric VIII
2011-09-05, 12:15 AM
Thank you for the item suggestions. The Broom and Mask are pretty good (even though they don't have as many style points as the carpet).

Now, for the Broom of Flying, I assume the combat would be similar to the Carpet. How does charging/pounce work in this situation?

gbprime
2011-09-05, 10:26 AM
Now, for the Broom of Flying, I assume the combat would be similar to the Carpet. How does charging/pounce work in this situation?

In a word: normally. The item gives you a different movement mode, but you otherwise move and attack as you always do. For a charge/pounce, you make a double flight move and then shred something.

etrpgb
2011-09-05, 12:42 PM
Your DM might smack you, but you can consider a 0LA race that fly: Warforged* Construct Incarnate** Winged Creature***.
* Monster Manual III pg. 190, you can also consider the Warforged scout.
** Savage Species pg. 120
*** Savage Species pg. 137

Beside if you can somewhat obtain claws or talons (or you are a raptorian), consider the special flight charge `dive attack'.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)

Elric VIII
2011-09-05, 12:49 PM
In a word: normally. The item gives you a different movement mode, but you otherwise move and attack as you always do. For a charge/pounce, you make a double flight move and then shred something.

Thank you.

Your DM might smack you, but you can consider a 0LA race that fly: Warforged* Construct Incarnate** Winged Creature***.
* Monster Manual III pg. 190, you can also consider the Warforged scout.
** Savage Species pg. 120
*** Savage Species pg. 137

Beside if you can somewhat obtain claws or talons (or you are a raptorian), consider the special flight charge `dive attack'.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)

Thank you, but this was for equipment I recommended for a friend in a current campaign. Plus, flying carpets have such cool imagery (i.e. The Eldritch Knight has awesome artwork). :smallwink:

DiBastet
2011-09-05, 01:31 PM
Based on Erfworld, I would be tempted in my games to make flying from things like this be something more like riding a creature: You don't spend YOUR move action going where you want (specially true for a carpet with multiple people), however, you can't make a full attack if it moves more than 5 ft (unless you have mounted full attack).