PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Instrument Would a Swashbuckler Use?

Babale
2011-09-04, 02:27 PM
In a PbP campaign I'm about to play in, I decided to play a gestalt rogue/bard as a sort of illusion-casting, trap-disabling, diplomacy-making swashbuckler. But I need to choose an instrument that fits with this theme. It's sort of a pseudo-musketeer, without the musket of course. So, any ideas of what instrument I should use?

Mordokai
2011-09-04, 03:44 PM
I am particular to flutes myself. Easy to carry around and conceal, sound nice and still work mechanically as well as anything else.

I am not sure if this fits your theme. However, as far as practicality goes, I think flute is always a solid choice. And in my mind, you still look less stupid if you decide to break out a flute to inspire courage in your allies or do the same with, say... lyre.

Altair_the_Vexed
2011-09-04, 03:48 PM
You don't have to use an instrument - you could sing, makes speeches, or crack witty one-liners. Those all fit the swashbuckling theme quite well.

JonRG
2011-09-04, 06:15 PM
Perform (Puns) :elan:

In all seriousness, I think Oratory, Comedy, or Sing would work well. Or Dance! You need both hands for looting fighting on your party's behalf. :smalltongue:

paddyfool
2011-09-04, 07:16 PM
A pseudo-musketeer swashbuckling bard, hmm?

Cyrano de Bergerac is about as good a classic fictional model as you can find - no instrument required. If you're going with the classic Three Musketeers novels, however... well, Porthos liked to sing. And as for other classic swashbucklers... Robin Hood is often shown with a hunting horn. That's about all I've got.

However, toting an instrument around - whether flute, lute, or violin - might fit a more Scarlet Pimpernell or Zorro-style swashbuckling concept better. Reckon the guards will suspect that that foppish dandy composing odes on his lute, or that itinerant fiddler, or that yokel boy with his flute, or the low rent street comedian with a whole one-man band set-up was the masked swordsman of the night before? Probably not.

EDIT: It'd be like suspecting Tim Minchin of being a secret ninja.

Qwertystop
2011-09-04, 10:58 PM
Shouldn't this be in the 3.5 subforum?

Babale
2011-09-04, 11:51 PM
Not really, bards are common. Kinda. More than 3.5 at least.

I did get the idea of a lute with a hidden compartment for a rapier though, so I'll go with that, and singing in combat.

Wyntonian
2011-09-04, 11:54 PM
You could go with a lute, flute, tambourine, vocals, or, if you're feeling especially awesome, a didgeridoo.

Aww Yeah six commas in one sentence!

NikitaDarkstar
2011-09-05, 02:06 AM
Not sure if it fits your theme, but apparently pirates come with guitars now.

http://i53.tinypic.com/nbyheg.jpg

Analytica
2011-09-06, 10:48 AM
Perform: Oratory, flavoured as puns - see the Monkey Island video game fencing system for this.

Perform: Dance (flexing muscles, shining grin, posing)

If you really, really need an instrument: Lute or lyre is classy. Or maybe violin - I imagine a violin with the bow having a sharpened backside, which you use as a rapier or sabre. So play, then quickly lash out with the bow, resume playing without losing the beat.

paddyfool
2011-09-06, 11:08 AM
I did get the idea of a lute with a hidden compartment for a rapier though, so I'll go with that, and singing in combat.

Sounds good to me.

Or maybe violin - I imagine a violin with the bow having a sharpened backside, which you use as a rapier or sabre. So play, then quickly lash out with the bow, resume playing without losing the beat.

Reminds me of an idea I had for a character with a weaponised musical saw.

Scary fun, no?

Flickerdart
2011-09-06, 11:13 AM
Reminds me of an idea I had for a character with a weaponised musical saw.

Scary fun, no?
Bonefiddle, SpC. Conjures a magical bow that plays on your opponent, with unpleasant side effects.

MightyPirate
2011-09-06, 04:50 PM
My last character was actually a bard pirate. Used Perform (Keyboard) to play an accordion. Even picked up a monkey familiar to let him play it while my character needed his hands free. I picked up Perform (Sing) as well so I could still bardic perform whilst running through various scurvy dogs.

Inferno
2011-09-06, 05:42 PM
You could go with a fiddle, seems like a fun option.

RedWarrior0
2011-09-06, 06:47 PM
Here you go. (http://www.google.com/search?q=guitar+gun&hl=en&client=opera&hs=RxQ&rls=en&channel=suggest&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PrBmToGQLInUiALKtomCCg&ved=0CBgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=688)

It can be easily modified to fit, say, a sword.

deuxhero
2011-09-07, 01:11 AM
Ocarina!

>_>

Inferno
2011-09-07, 08:41 PM
Grab a pair of Sticks and whack the fighter with em.

Perform: full plate percussion.

TwylyghT
2011-09-08, 06:13 AM
I vote for the epic sounds of the KAZOO!

kamikasei
2011-09-08, 06:23 AM
Castanets.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-08, 08:04 AM
I would go with preform (one man band).

You get horrid penelties to hide and move silently, but the shock and awe as you charge is worth the hassle.

TwylyghT
2011-09-09, 11:01 AM
I would go with preform (one man band).

You get horrid penelties to hide and move silently, but the shock and awe as you charge is worth the hassle.

This works remarkably well for a warforged bard with installed component instruments. Anyone who has witnessed an old Wurlitzer band organ in person knows how epic this is. Not so suprisingly Wurlitzer is in fact the name of my WF bard :smallbiggrin:

AMFV
2011-09-09, 11:24 AM
Definitely a stringed instrument. I am fairly sure Indigo Montoya could play Flamenco Guitar (this was never stated, just strongly implied).

Xtomjames
2011-09-09, 11:37 AM
I'm partial to body sounds. Perform (Tap Dance), Perform (Body Rhythm), Perform (Battle Sounds) work well. You can cast spells then by tapping a foot or applauding, tapping your thigh, etc. All innocuous conspicuous natural movements that people wouldn't notice.

In battle you can use your actual movement as a means to cast spells without the opponent knowing. The clink of a blade or the jingle of coins in your purse as you move all become your music for casting your spells.

These of course aren't RAW or conventional by any means but they work rather well and you always have an instrument to work with.

Thespianus
2011-09-09, 11:44 AM
Perform (Weapon Drill) (Complete Warrior) would be perfect if it hadn't been for the silly line saying "Bards can't use Perform(weapons Drill) for their bardic music...". :(

Why not?

Exclude the line of adding half your BAB to the skill check and it would be like any other perform skill. :(

AMFV
2011-09-09, 11:49 AM
I'm partial to body sounds. Perform (Tap Dance), Perform (Body Rhythm), Perform (Battle Sounds) work well. You can cast spells then by tapping a foot or applauding, tapping your thigh, etc. All innocuous conspicuous natural movements that people wouldn't notice.

In battle you can use your actual movement as a means to cast spells without the opponent knowing. The clink of a blade or the jingle of coins in your purse as you move all become your music for casting your spells.

These of course aren't RAW or conventional by any means but they work rather well and you always have an instrument to work with.

You can't actually perform inconspicuously... That would be completely counter to the whole point of performing.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-09, 12:00 PM
Preform (Beatbox) and (achapella0.
Be a warforged.

call yourself sythisiser.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-09, 12:02 PM
Not sure if it fits your theme, but apparently pirates come with guitars now.

http://i53.tinypic.com/nbyheg.jpg

Not only that, but keytars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw) too.

Xtomjames
2011-09-09, 12:04 PM
Actually nothing in the RAW of 3.5 or Pathfinder say you can't perform conspicuously. In fact the metamagic feat Hide Spell is available to Bards just for this purpose.

Bardic magic relies on the concept that the affected creature can hear the sounds being used to cast the spell. It never expressly states the music/sound have to be recognizable to the creatures as music.

Thus using general sounds in a rhythm only known to the Bard to cast the spell is just as acceptable, and to the untrained ear/eye the performance looks mundane.

Leon
2011-09-09, 05:19 PM
The same as any other Adventure would - the Lute

flabort
2011-09-09, 06:16 PM
Have you heard of a Penny Whistle? It's a bit like a recorder, or flute, or like any other wind instrument out there... 'cept it's made of cheap metal, pretty much cost a penny when they were popular, and have a definite "High seas" sound when played right. (when played wrong, they have a "High scots" sound).

Or, the accordian works wonders. I've never heard a less than serious pirate-y theme song for a movie/game without accordians. I've heard more serious type movies (Like Pirates of the Caribbean) not use them, but if it's not as serious as that, it will definitely have an accordian (Think Banjo Kazooee, the pirate level).

Another sweet sound for a swashbuckler-y type music is a full 1265 key organ (or however many). Make sure it takes up an entire two thirds of a sea galley's hold/whatever. Despite the fact that you'd need three bards to play it, the entire fleet can hear it in a Can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face-or-even-hear-your-own-voice type Fog. Enchant it so that it penetrates even a Magical Silence effect, and you're golden.