PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses for knowledges? [PF]

WarKitty
2011-09-04, 09:02 PM
I'm looking for creative uses for knowledges for a melee character. I am playing a PF fighter, tactician variant, going into student of war. Total of 7 skill points per level currently (including my favored class bonus).

I'm definitely doing a knowledge-focused build. What I need is a way to make those knowledges do as much work for me as they can. To that end I would like any and all creative ideas that the playground can come up with.

deuxhero
2011-09-04, 09:16 PM
While not a knowledge, appraise can abuse the fact that slave value is based on HD. It takes too long to be practical in combat though.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-09-04, 09:24 PM
Again, this is not a knowledge skill per-say, but the act of making new spells requires nothing but ranks in spellcraft. So, yes, that means with enough ranks in spellcraft your fighter can create a totally new spell. Sure, he can't use it himself, but he can make it a point to pass it out to every wizard he meets and brag about how a lowly fighter created this totally awesome new spell.....

Coidzor
2011-09-04, 09:28 PM
Most of it is going to be highly dependent upon the DM and the setting and your abilities of perception. Asking the right questions of the DM, depending upon whether it matters which is based on the nature of the campaign, can open a lot more avenues of exploration up to you.

Knowledge: History still covers tactics (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3065.0), though. But, uh, that highly depends upon the terrain, the opponents you're facing, and your DM, and you'd get more mileage out of OOC tactical thinking with the rest of the group, most likely, anyway.

Lateral
2011-09-04, 09:35 PM
Again, this is not a knowledge skill per-say,

It's per se.

WarKitty
2011-09-04, 09:43 PM
Most of it is going to be highly dependent upon the DM and the setting and your abilities of perception. Asking the right questions of the DM, depending upon whether it matters which is based on the nature of the campaign, can open a lot more avenues of exploration up to you.

Knowledge: History still covers tactics (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3065.0), though. But, uh, that highly depends upon the terrain, the opponents you're facing, and your DM, and you'd get more mileage out of OOC tactical thinking with the rest of the group, most likely, anyway.

PbP with a fairly high rp component and a flexible DM.

Coidzor
2011-09-04, 09:44 PM
It's per se.

How fitting that you should grace this thread. You're the kind of thinking that's exactly what's needed here.

Steward
2011-09-04, 09:51 PM
Ha! I think I understood that reference!

Lateral
2011-09-04, 10:06 PM
How fitting that you should grace this thread. You're the kind of thinking that's exactly what's needed here.

Sorry. Force of habit.

Knowledge (Arcana) includes cryptic phrases; that use of the skill could conceivably be used as a way of creating secret passwords.

Mikka
2011-09-04, 10:11 PM
Knowledge Devotion

WarKitty
2011-09-04, 10:14 PM
Knowledge Devotion

Pathfinder only, sorry. Though Student of War already does something similar as a class feature.

subject42
2011-09-05, 08:55 AM
You might be a bit feat starved at this point, but one of the stances from Ultimate Combat grants you bonuses based on knowledge checks. Unfortunately I don't have my book with me and I forge the name.

WarKitty
2011-09-05, 04:17 PM
You might be a bit feat starved at this point, but one of the stances from Ultimate Combat grants you bonuses based on knowledge checks. Unfortunately I don't have my book with me and I forge the name.

I'll look for it. I'm not actually doing too bad on feats - fighter class covers my combat feats, and the variant lets me use it for skill focuses as well. Going mainly reach/trip build with the rest of them.

subject42
2011-09-05, 06:36 PM
I'll look for it. I'm not actually doing too bad on feats - fighter class covers my combat feats, and the variant lets me use it for skill focuses as well. Going mainly reach/trip build with the rest of them.

It's the Kirin Style feat chain.

Coidzor
2011-09-06, 01:46 AM
Sorry. Force of habit.

Knowledge (Arcana) includes cryptic phrases; that use of the skill could conceivably be used as a way of creating secret passwords.

Well, I imagine your username would be a force of habit. :smallwink: Not sure why you would apologize for it though, haha.

Well, that's something I'd not have thought of about knowledge (arcana), pretty cool.