PDA

View Full Version : Good Prestige Class

hobbitkniver
2011-09-04, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking about prestige classes for my cleric. We're level 5 atm and he worships Kelemvor. I'm interested in hearing what you guys think are good PrC's. I'm not sure what else I should be telling you, so if I missed something. just ask for it and I'll put it up. I don't really see any reason to stay with cleric as it seems to have nothing at the higher levels that the PrC's don't. I've been thinking Doomguide of Kelemvor for simplicity's sake, but I've heard mixed reviews.

hex0
2011-09-05, 12:17 AM
I don't see any drawbacks to Doomguide of Kelemvor at all! (Well, d6 isn't great for survivability). go for it.

May want to see if you can get more feats to select for bonus feats.

Elric VIII
2011-09-05, 12:22 AM
I would like to take this time to recommend one of my favorite PrCs ever: Bone Knight, from Five Nations. You might have a problem getting it approved, since it is from a different setting, but it can easily be altered to be setting-neutral*.

It essentially gives great immunities and some decent combat ablity over 10 levels. 9/10 casting, medium BAB, and all the immunities of undead (except to mind-affecting). You also get a Skeletal Mount that functions like a Paladin Special Mount. This is really nice since you can make a decent charger with Riding Boots (free Ride-by Attack), a Valorous lance, and all the usual Cleric buffs.

*It has an ability that lets you 1/day create a special type of undead, changing this to 1/day Animate Dead would remove all setting-specific ties.

deuxhero
2011-09-05, 12:49 AM
^Too bad Khel hates undead as much as he hates mortals not participating in the god's ponzi.

hex0
2011-09-05, 12:55 AM
True.

Cleric 5/Doom 5/Contemplative 1/Doom 5... Not sure wut else. Maybe work in divine oracle?

Elric VIII
2011-09-05, 01:09 AM
^Too bad Khel hates undead as much as he hates mortals not participating in the god's ponzi.

Wow, total brain fart. I thought he was pro-undead.

Lucid
2011-09-05, 08:39 AM
I'd say take a level of Crusader and head into Ruby Knight Vindicator(both from Tome of Battle). You lose 3 caster levels, but you gain some maneuvers and some extra uses for your Turn Undead attempts, most notably the ability to gain extra swift actions. Combine this with DMM:Quicken and you can cast a lot of spells in one round.
The fluff for Kelemvor and Wee Jas is similar enough, so you wouldn't even have to adapt the class that much.

I'd recommend going Cleric 6/Crusader 1/RKV 10/X, in that order, so you can get the most out of your maneuvers and stances.

Feytalist
2011-09-05, 09:35 AM
Wow, total brain fart. I thought he was pro-undead.

You were probably thinking of Myrkul.

Doomguide isn't bad at all, and is appropriately fluffy. What always puts me off from trying to play one is the bastard swordy focus, though. That and the d6 HD, of course.

Otherwise, there's hunter of the dead, even though it has it's own casting line, which sucks.

hex0
2011-09-06, 09:47 AM
That and the d6 HD, of course.

3.0 had the weird habit of weakening an aspect of a PRC for no reason and call it 'balancing'.

Here's my fix for Doomguide: HD changes to d8, change the requirements to the feats "Diehard and Extra Turning", and change the the bonus feats to any that are turning related. Also the capstone deathwarding ability NEEDS to be more than 10 feet radius for your allies.

Take Cleric 5/Dooguide 10/Divine Oracle and/or Contemplative 5

If you really want super evasion take a detour: Cleric 5/Divine Oracle 2/Doomguide 10/Divine Oracle and/or Contemplative 3.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 10:45 AM
I'd recommend going Cleric 6/Crusader 1/RKV 10/X, in that order, so you can get the most out of your maneuvers and stances.Why Cleric 6 instead of Cleric 4? Just to get 3rd level stance at RKV 1?

Diarmuid
2011-09-06, 02:52 PM
I'd say take a level of Crusader and head into Ruby Knight Vindicator(both from Tome of Battle). You lose 3 caster levels, but you gain some maneuvers and some extra uses for your Turn Undead attempts, most notably the ability to gain extra swift actions. Combine this with DMM:Quicken and you can cast a lot of spells in one round.
The fluff for Kelemvor and Wee Jas is similar enough, so you wouldn't even have to adapt the class that much.

I'd recommend going Cleric 6/Crusader 1/RKV 10/X, in that order, so you can get the most out of your maneuvers and stances.

No matter how many swift actions you can get in a round, you are still limited to only 1 Quickened Spell per round per RaW

TheJake
2011-09-06, 03:36 PM
No matter how many swift actions you can get in a round, you are still limited to only 1 Quickened Spell per round per RaW

This isn't true. Also depends if you're a prepared spell caster or spontaneous caster. Clerics count as prepared in this instance.

- J.

Geigan
2011-09-06, 05:07 PM
This isn't true. Also depends if you're a prepared spell caster or spontaneous caster. Clerics count as prepared in this instance.

- J.Technically, yeah it is.

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit

Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.
Special

This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

But the RAW was designed before swift action existed and certainly before ways to get more of them existed, so it's kind of weird. Also, if you're making use of RKV, make sure you consult with your DM as Divine Impetus has the (Su) tag and doesn't specify what kind of action it uses so by RAW it defaults to a standard action.:smallfrown:

I'll +1 contemplative at higher levels.

Fera Tian
2011-09-06, 05:15 PM
Divine Champion (full bab, high saves, bonus feats, paladin-like stuff) or Doomguide.

hex0
2011-09-08, 08:44 AM
The TOB classes don't fit well in FR and Divine Champion is for war gods...I

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:53 AM
The TOB classes don't fit well in FRWell, it's not your game, so there's no reason to dismiss stuff based on your perceptions of "fitting". Granted, FR has traditionally been more "hey, lets give casters cool stuff", but that's a more of a metagame argument.

Geigan
2011-09-08, 09:03 AM
The TOB classes don't fit well in FR and Divine Champion is for war gods...I

IMO that's like saying paladins, fighters, and monks don't fit in FR.

hex0
2011-09-08, 11:37 AM
IMO that's like saying paladins, fighters, and monks don't fit in FR.

I'm going to agree with Wizards that the TOB of classes are a tight fit on this one: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070911

Greenish
2011-09-08, 11:42 AM
I'm going to agree with Wizards that the TOB of classes are a tight fit on this one: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070911Meh, he's trying to keep ToB fluff almost exactly as printed, treats classes as in-game constructs, and still easily manages to fit them in.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-08, 03:31 PM
Radiant servant if pelor can easilly be refluffed into kelemvir and it is prety nice for clerics

hex0
2011-09-08, 04:29 PM
Radiant servant if pelor can easilly be refluffed into kelemvir and it is prety nice for clerics

I still think Doomguide is better than Radiant Servant either way though.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-08, 04:31 PM
I still think Doomguide is better than Radiant Servant either way though.

I am not familiar with doomguide

hex0
2011-09-08, 06:10 PM
I am not familiar with doomguide

It is in Faith and Pantheons.

Radiant Servant doesn't fit as well because it is for neutral good and focuses on the Healing Domain, which Kelemvor doesn't have. Doomguide also advances your turning and focuses on destroying them.

Geigan
2011-09-08, 08:56 PM
It is in Faith and Pantheons.

Radiant Servant doesn't fit as well because it is for neutral good and focuses on the Healing Domain, which Kelemvor doesn't have. Doomguide also advances your turning and focuses on destroying them.

Yeah, I'll +1 doomguide. Perfect for a cleric of Kelemvor, full casting, prereqs are pretty easy, and it's certainly better than just straight cleric.

hobbitkniver
2011-09-08, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I'll +1 doomguide. Perfect for a cleric of Kelemvor, full casting, prereqs are pretty easy, and it's certainly better than just straight cleric.

So, whats the easiest way to get the bastard sword prereq? It seems like it'd take a feat or two.

Geigan
2011-09-08, 09:12 PM
So, whats the easiest way to get the bastard sword prereq? It semms like it'd take a feat or two.

Hmm, I forgot that only war domain gets auto proficiency with deity weapons. Martial weapon prof or exotic weapon prof will get it for you. Either way it's just one more feat. That makes it a little worse in my eyes, though not by much. Other options, include a 1 level dip in any other class that has martial weapon prof if the feat prereq is so awful. 1 level of crusader never goes south on a cleric really and could let you grab RKV later if you get sick of doomguide if your DM thinks it works with Kelemvor.

hex0
2011-09-08, 09:35 PM
So, whats the easiest way to get the bastard sword prereq? It semms like it'd take a feat or two.

how much can you rework your character? If you are an aasimar you would have free prof. will all martial weapons and lots of other nice stuff.

Or Ranger with Favored Enemy Undead would be appropriate

There is also human paragon if you are a human as well, but any option would delay access to Doomguide. It doesnt say if it is exotic or martial for it the requirements....Id say martial and have the class hand you the exotic prof. at first level.

have you asked about changing the requirements/class features a bit? I like the idea of requiring diehard instead of great fortitude for flavor and bumping up to d8...