PDA

View Full Version : Scavenger, The Undead Sentinel

EclecticGuru
2011-09-05, 12:40 AM
Scavenger #1

The Kobold Konundrum

Daryl sits alone in the dark. He doesn't sleep, he doesn't eat, he never rests. But he does get bored. So many hours of vigilance could give way to madness, but when one is already dead, when one can feel the pulse of the spirit world with every breath one does not take, how can one know the what sanity is anymore?

Lana knocks on the door. It's too early for her to be up yet. What's bothering her.

The door creaks open, and a beam of light pierces the darkness. The young girl steps in and looks concerned. Not afraid. Concerned.

"There's a monster in my closet. He said he will pluck my eyes out with a spoon and eat them with his pudding. Unless you help him." Her tone is eerily dull. Like meeting monsters was an every day occurance. Then again, she did live with one after all.

Was Daryl dreaming? Could someone who never sleeps dream anymore, or would his dreams eventually bleed into his every waking moment? Whether or not this was really happening ... at least it would give him something to do.

Starsign
2011-09-05, 06:35 AM
The difference between day and night had dwindled to not much more than a cosmetic difference for Daryl, or as he was known, Scavenger. He realizes why most other zombies don't have a mind of their own, though Daryl wasn't giving his up anytime soon. Lana's words we're... A little worrying, to say the least. They weren't something that a normal girl would say. "Lana, go back to bed, I'll go check." He goes with her back into her room and checks the closet as she tries to go back to sleep. In a world like this, Lana probably wasn't lying, so he made sure to check the closet carefully.

Do you think I could suggest Lana having a different font color please? Scavenger has already been using the same font color. :smallredface:

EclecticGuru
2011-09-05, 08:17 PM
As Scavenger is searching the closet he feels a tingle. The flow and ebb of the spirit world around around him tickles him to the very essence of his being. Then, out of nowhere, a misshapen and freakish looking dwarf-like creature with immense bushy eyebrows and sharp pointy teeth steps out from behind a box of cool weather clothing.

"Ssssh. They're listening." It hisses softly, in a warningly conspiratorial tone. "You are the protector. She cannot help us yet, so you must in her stead. So it is written. I am Karnesh, Kount of Kernastia of the Kobold Kingdom, in the Demesnes of Doors. Seals have been broken, and an ancient darkness is leeching into the daylit world. You must find the broken seals and bring them to me so that they can be repaired."

High weirdness indeed, the thing seems to be practically dripping of medieval metaphors and arcane archetypes.

Starsign
2011-09-05, 08:22 PM
As the dwarfish-like creature came out from the closet, Scavenger held a look of slight surprise. By "her" the thing must have meant Lana. "Hold up," he said in his normal, almost gravel-ish tone. "You'll need to explain to me what the Kount of Kernastia and this Kobold Kingdom is. Info on the seals and this ancient darkness would also help." He turned to check on Lana for a moment before turning back to the creature.

EclecticGuru
2011-09-05, 08:28 PM
Karnesh scowls at Scavenger's comment.

"I shall grant you a boon, since it is important that you succeed, but in return you must do a favor for me. The seals are known as the Dragon's Sigil. The favor you must do is to bring me an infant's giggle. Now go, do not waste any more of our time, Sentinel."

Starsign
2011-09-05, 08:42 PM
Scavenger was still really confused by Karnesh's words, but the zombie sees that he's getting no more answers from the guy. He thinks to himself, Do they really expect me to get anywhere with this much info? He then nods slowly. "Very well then. I'll do what I can." He turns back to Lana as he tells the dwarfish-creature, "But don't bring her into this. Right now she doesn't deserve to get involved with anything I have to do."

EclecticGuru
2011-09-05, 09:36 PM
"That is not up to you our I, Watcher. That is for her two sisters to decide."

Starsign
2011-09-05, 09:42 PM
Scavenger didn't feel to say much about these "sisters" the creature mentioned, instead he had something else on his mind. "Fine. I'll go find these Dragon Sigils if they are a vital necessity to stopping this darkness you mention... But you better explain everything afterward, I haven't heard such things before in my... undead life." He had very little clue where the hell to even begin to search, the confusion of it all really was spelt out on his face, though he was going to try his best.

EclecticGuru
2011-09-06, 08:21 PM
Karnesh simply sneers. "Do not waste any more time, Sentinel. Each passing moment endangers your world and mine both."

Starsign
2011-09-06, 08:29 PM
Scavenger only nods as he closes the closet and begins to turn for the door. "I'll be out for a bit, you stay put Lana," he says as he goes to check the nearest library... If he can. The zombie wore his typical black tank-top and jeans; considering it was night, it would be perfect for the zombie to go out in when his costume was still back at base. The zombie tries to avoid attention unless it involves someone in need of help, which he doubted would happen at night. He would need to research as much as he could on this stuff, particularly the kingdom and these sigils.

I'll make a stealth check just in case :smalltongue: [roll0]

EclecticGuru
2011-09-09, 11:13 PM
Scavenger sneaks into the library after hours. The security is pretty light there -- there isn't much fear that someone is going to steal the books or local historical documents so why bother?

Scavenger takes his time researching and can take a 20. The library also enables him to roll even though he is untrained. The library is not especially useful in the field of arcane lore, so it grants no equipment based bonus.

For a night of researching, Scavenger achieves a result of 20.

He learns that the Dragon Seals, as known as the Dragon Sigils, are supposedly seals placed on a dangerous nightmare realm to keep imprisoned a Nightmare Dragon whose name has been obscured to avoid gaining its attention. They were created by an order of mystic dream-wizards called the Oneirica, who dabbled in both dream magic and nightmare magic.

There is a private club called Oneirica in downside Bay City. Coincidence?

Starsign
2011-09-10, 10:10 AM
Scavenger takes some notes on the related info so he wouldn't have to keep the books, and the info on where the Oneirica club is. He gets in and out of the library without a trace hopefully. He did take time to check the time, how soon was it till the morning? He needed to check if he had time to go to the Oneirica club or instead get Lana set for school, the club might not even be run during the day or night so Scavenger might have had to wait.