PDA

View Full Version : Generic Warrior as a Fighter fix?

Wings of Peace
2011-09-05, 06:07 AM
One lazy fighter fix that I use when I DM for my more experienced players is that I just flat-out replace Fighter with Generic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm). I'm just curious if anyone else has tried this and how it's worked for them.

noparlpf
2011-09-05, 06:23 AM
I've done that before. I like the Warrior better than the Fighter, but it's still only a slight improvement as far as most of the people who dislike the Fighter are concerned.

Edit: On the other hand, you can do things with Warrior that make DMs mad at you. Take sixteen levels of Rogue, and finish up with four levels of Warrior. Pick the Sneak Attack tree as your three bonus feats. Now you should have something like 17d6 instead of only 10d6 like you would with twenty levels of Rogue.

Greenish
2011-09-05, 06:30 AM
Still no skills nor class features (even if you can pick some of those up as feats). You could load up on Incarnum feats and put Soulborn to shame, though, and general feats open up some neat stuff (Devotion feats, Binding, Incarnum, maneuvers etc.).

NecroRick
2011-09-05, 06:55 AM
If fighters are so bad, and generic classes are on the table...

Let the player take two levels of fighter, two of generic warrior, two of expert and then prestige into pretty much whatever they want.

That gives them an extra feat each level for six levels plus a certain degree of skill monkeyism...

ranagrande
2011-09-05, 07:23 AM
If fighters are so bad, and generic classes are on the table...

Let the player take two levels of fighter, two of generic warrior, two of expert and then prestige into pretty much whatever they want.

That gives them an extra feat each level for six levels plus a certain degree of skill monkeyism...

You can do better than that...

Feat Variant Rogue 2/Fighter 2/Generic Warrior 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Generic Expert 2

might be a good start.

Shpadoinkle
2011-09-05, 12:28 PM
It gives the fighter some versatility in build but doesn't really fix anything. If the generic warrior runs into a situation he doesn't have feats specifically selcted for controlling he's still going to have a hard time contributing, just like the fighter would.

sreservoir
2011-09-05, 12:32 PM
You can do better than that...

Feat Variant Rogue 2/Fighter 2/Generic Warrior 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Generic Expert 2

might be a good start.

don't forget the wizard variant with fighter feats.