PDA

View Full Version : I want VoP but with magical weapons

Dr.Epic
2011-09-05, 08:00 PM
Basically, I want to make a character that runs around in as little clothing as possible, like just a loincloth, but they can still use magical weapons. Really, you see the episode of South Park where they play WOW? I want to make enemy the boys fight in game. Like, I want to use magical weapons, I might use magical items, but I don't want armor. I know there are PrC that give me a bonus if I'm wearing light or no armor. What I'm describing I'll admit is kind of vague, really, if I could go kensai with like a dagger or short sword (some tiny weapon) and carry nothing else that'd be great, but I want some abilities and bonus for my lack of gear. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hirax
2011-09-05, 08:01 PM
Try Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion.

Kenneth
2011-09-05, 08:06 PM
Or instead of Vop, WHICH explicitly says no magical items. you can..

wear nothing but a loincloth and have magical weapons. besdies AC is overrated ( A LOT) its easy just to get a miss chance formb lur or somesuch

vampire2948
2011-09-05, 08:11 PM
Monks and Monk PrCs often grant bonuses for being lightly or unarmoured.

Swordsage also gives bonuses for being in light armour.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-05, 08:16 PM
Prioritize Charisma above all else. Go Cobra-Strike (Chaos) Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) 2/ Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) 4/ Paladin of Slaughter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny) 2/ Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) 2/ Blackguard 3/ Mystic Wanderer 1, with Ascetic Mage, Slippers of Battle Dancing, and Divine Might. Arcane Duelist 4+ is highly recommended because of the interaction between Dexterous Attack and two-handed Power Attack (and Leap Attack and Shock Trooper), and you can add the bonus for Enchant Chosen Weapon after Greater Magic Weapon. You can also pick up Abjurant Champion and maybe one level of Paragnostic Apostle for Mind Over Matter for improved Mage Armor and Shield spells. You'll be adding your Cha bonus to AC three times (Monk, Dodge, and Profane) and to saves twice (Divine Grace and Dark Blessing). You can even get the spell Wings of Cover to completely negate something that would have swung the battle in the opponents' favor.

Waker
2011-09-05, 08:34 PM
You could probably go with an Incarnum class like Incarnate or Totemist. The chakra binds aren't considered items, but function like them.

Melayl
2011-09-05, 10:57 PM
Somewhere on these boards was a Homebrew class based on the premise of wearing nothing. It recieved rather high bonuses (Charisma based) while un- or next-to-un- clothed. A melee-type of some sort, possibly a barbarian PrC. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember what the name was.

The Glyphstone
2011-09-05, 11:01 PM
Somewhere on these boards was a Homebrew class based on the premise of wearing nothing. It recieved rather high bonuses (Charisma based) while un- or next-to-un- clothed. A melee-type of some sort, possibly a barbarian PrC. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember what the name was.

It was a feat, I think, the Vow of Nudity.

deuxhero
2011-09-05, 11:11 PM
Make your body an Ancestral Relic. It isn't an actual ITEM, and you have the gold to sacrifice to power it up (in-fact, you have your full WBL in it) due to the wonky VoP wording (It allows coins, intended for donations to poor/deity, but it isn't REQUIRED...)

Chess435
2011-09-05, 11:33 PM

Link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)

Be sure to thank Talya for it! :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2011-09-06, 11:47 AM
Or instead of Vop, WHICH explicitly says no magical items. you can..

I know VoP doesn't offer magical items. That's why I asked if there's anything like it that would let me use a weapon.

wear nothing but a loincloth and have magical weapons. besdies AC is overrated ( A LOT) its easy just to get a miss chance formb lur or somesuch

I'd like to get something in exchange for my lack or armor.

Monks and Monk PrCs often grant bonuses for being lightly or unarmoured.

Meh, I kind of don't want to go monk for their only average BAB and HD. I'd like something a little more powerful in combat. Really, I think I'd go barbarian or fighter for this build.

Swordsage also gives bonuses for being in light armour.

Everyone keeps saying swordsage is better than monk, but I've never looked at the class. What book is it in?

Make your body an Ancestral Relic. It isn't an actual ITEM, and you have the gold to sacrifice to power it up (in-fact, you have your full WBL in it) due to the wonky VoP wording (It allows coins, intended for donations to poor/deity, but it isn't REQUIRED...)

What book?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-09-06, 12:05 PM
Everyone keeps saying swordsage is better than monk, but I've never looked at the class. What book is it in?
Tome of Battle, the Book of Nine Swords

What book?
IIRC BoED

Answers in bold

Mando Knight
2011-09-06, 12:51 PM
Make your body an Ancestral Relic.
This physique has been passed down through the Armstrong family for GENERATIONS!

Talya
2011-09-06, 01:00 PM
Link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)

Be sure to thank Talya for it! :smallwink:

It was a joke!

Melayl
2011-09-06, 01:42 PM

I remember the Vow of Nudity, but this was something different. I'm pretty sure it was a PrC, and several years old. Bare Warrior, perhaps. It was done somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it was mechanically sound.

DiBastet
2011-09-06, 01:58 PM
Thanks Talya. Never saw that, and now my GF will surely want it. I think I'll allow some small clothing (to allow armstrong-like guys with loinclothing), princess leia costumes and small tiny things, and make it that creatures that save become immune for 24 hours instead.

Havelock
2011-09-06, 02:04 PM
Abjurant Champion can do that, if you care for Gishes.

As could any Wisdom-monkey, like a Cleric, with a monk's belt.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 02:19 PM
I'd like to get something in exchange for my lack or armor.Dip Battledancer from Dragon Comp. Full BAB, Cha to AC on first level.

pilvento
2011-09-06, 02:23 PM
1-Get all the equipment you want
2-give the boss armor the glammered property
3-shape it to look like a worthless pice loincloth
4-players get confident, they strike, they die
5-profit

Fearan
2011-09-06, 04:05 PM
Be a soulknife. Or, failing that be a shadowsmith. Have magical weapons and VoP. Still subpar, though

Anxe
2011-09-06, 05:08 PM
The character in South Park was essentially a hacked character though. I think the most authentic way to get what you want is just to cheat.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-06, 05:18 PM
The character in South Park was essentially a hacked character though. I think the most authentic way to get what you want is just to cheat.

Wow, I could have thought of that on my own. I didn't think I needed to stress that I want a legal way to do this.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:20 PM
I think the most authentic way to get what you want is just to cheat.Right, that'll go well.

Player: …Oh, and my character only wears a loincloth.
DM: Really, that must hurt your AC.
Player: Nah, I've got AC 54.
DM: …Lemme see that sheet.

Morph Bark
2011-09-06, 05:49 PM
This physique has been passed down through the Armstrong family for GENERATIONS!

+1! :smallbiggrin:

Also make your body an Item Familiar if you can, just because. (Needs to be an Ancestral Relic first though.)

EDIT: Also, be a Kensai and have your enchanted weapon be your unarmed strike.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-06, 06:56 PM
EDIT: Also, be a Kensai and have your enchanted weapon be your unarmed strike.

I like my short sword idea better.

Midnight_v
2011-09-06, 07:09 PM
I wanted to second, playing a fist of the forest.
Which gets con to ac.
Alternatively. . .
The incarnum people really play without items well, and can use what items they want when the need overall.

Aside from that I think you're best items involve being a gish of somekind.
Tell me...
What level are you going to be...?

Dr.Epic
2011-09-06, 07:55 PM
I wanted to second, playing a fist of the forest.

Book please?

Waker
2011-09-06, 07:58 PM
Book please?

Complete Champion, basically a wild monk. Or martial arts barbarian.

Morph Bark
2011-09-07, 08:26 AM
Complete Champion, basically a wild monk. Or martial arts barbarian.

Or a non-magical druid.

Or a hobo who punches people.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-07, 02:06 PM
Or a hobo who punches people.

That's half the characters I've played anyway.:smallwink: