PDA

View Full Version : Shifty character

Stix
2011-09-05, 11:28 PM
Keeping this short and sweet.

I'm making a character based on shape shifting so far i'm thinking Druid 5/ MOMF 10, but i'm not sure what do do after that... help?

Stormageddon
2011-09-05, 11:54 PM
warshaper 5 is good for that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-06, 12:07 AM
Use Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) instead of Druid.

Only take four levels of Warshaper, and put them between the 7th and 8th Master of Many Forms levels. Before your 9th Master of Many Forms level, you should get either one more WSRanger level or one Nature's Warrior level, to have the BAB to get Defensive Sweep at 18th level.

Therefore, Wild Shape Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Warshaper 4/ MoMF 1/ Ranger or Nature's Warrior 1/ MoMF 2, for the 20th level build.

You'll want to go Human for the extra feat, with Str 13 minimum and prioritize Con and Wis. Feats should be Power Attack (1), Combat Reflexes (1), Alertness (3), Leap Attack (6), Frozen Wild Shape (9), any feat at 12, Robilar's Gambit (15), and Defensive Sweep (18). Don't trade out your Ranger spellcasting, keep Rhino's Rush prepared and even get a few 1st level Pearls of Power. Trade out your Animal Companion for Distracting Attack in PH2. Get a Monk's Belt with a Wilding Clasp to add your Wis bonus to AC, which works when you're wearing Wild armor and wild shaped.

At 5th level use the form of a Fleshraker dinosaur (MM3), at 9th level use Cave Troll (MM3), at 11th you get Cryohydra via Frozen Wild Shape and Huge, and at 12th level War Troll (MM3) will be the most useful form where the Hydra won't fit. Definitely get Gloves of Dex for more AoOs, with Robilar's Gambit in Hydra form you'll get a 12-bite AoO every time someone attacks you! Your Troll forms should use a two-handed weapon (clubs are free) and Power Attack + Leap Attack + Rhino's Rush. A Hydra can Leap Attack and still make all of its bites even. Get Armbands of Might since the bonus damage they grant gets increased by Leap Attack.

jiriku
2011-09-06, 12:18 AM
Verily, biff's advice is as bone-crunchingly good as it seems. You will be an unholy terror in melee combat with such a build.

Mind the flying archers. Better stat up a few flying forms to deal with them.

Babale
2011-09-06, 12:19 AM
No need for 13 strength, you can take any feat even if you don't meet stat-based prereqs, but they just won't apply until your stat is buffed, such as by shapeshifting.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-09-06, 12:38 AM
No need for 13 strength, you can take any feat even if you don't meet stat-based prereqs, but they just won't apply until your stat is buffed, such as by shapeshifting.

Indeed, but the build gets it at level 1, long before you gain any shape shifting. The build is actually playable from 1st level and extremely capable throughout, start out Str 14 and use a glaive and you've got combat reflexes and power attack.

Babale
2011-09-06, 12:39 AM
Indeed, but the build gets it at level 1, long before you gain any shape shifting. The build is actually playable from 1st level and extremely capable throughout, start out Str 14 and use a glaive and you've got combat reflexes and power attack.

True, if he does start out at first. I generally avoid picking feats that I can't use if I'm hit with an AMZ.