PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Lord Bingo
2011-10-26, 06:51 PM
A81 Yes. The feat description does not stipulate that you must use a certain type of ranged weapon.

When making a full-attack action with a ranged weapon, you can fire one additional time this round

Larpus
2011-10-26, 07:35 PM
Q80

Can the spell Abundant Ammunition (Ultimate Combat) be cast upon the bolt case of a Repeating Crossbow to forestall the need to reload until after the end of the spell?
A80
Yes, it can, attention to the bolded part:

When cast on a container such as a quiver or a pouch that contains nonmagical ammunition or shuriken (including masterwork ammunition or shuriken), at the start of each round this spell replaces any ammunition taken from the container the round before. The ammunition taken from the container the round before vanishes. If, after casting this spell, you cast a spell that enhances projectiles, such as align weapon or greater magic weapon, on the same container, all projectiles this spell conjures are affected by that spell.
This means that the spell works with anything that is close in function to a quiver or ammo pouch, the bolt case of a repeating crossbow seems to fit the description just fine.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-27, 10:00 AM
A80

Concurring opinion:

I actually went out to disprove that this would work and instead found this in the description of crossbow ammunition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-crossbow-bolts-or-quarrels):

Benefit: Bolts come in a case or quiver that holds 10 bolts (or 5 for a repeating crossbow).

The RAW seems to be pretty clear that a repeating crossbow has a quiver and would be eligible for the spell.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 02:26 PM
Q82
What ways are there in 1st party Pathfinder of changing the type of elemental damage of spells?

Blisstake
2011-10-27, 02:45 PM
A82

There is only one way I can think of, and that is a wizard specializing in the admixture (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/evocation/admixture) subschool of evocation.

(I'm assuming you meant "first level")

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 03:11 PM
A82

There is only one way I can think of, and that is a wizard specializing in the admixture (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/evocation/admixture) subschool of evocation.

(I'm assuming you meant "first level")
A82 Addendum:
Actually, I don't, though that could maybe work. A level dip in wizard would put me even further behind on spells, but it technically would apply to spells gotten from other classes, right?
To clarify, no, it doesn't have to be first level. It doesn't even have to be all four elements, though elemental bloodline sorcerer is out.

Blisstake
2011-10-27, 03:54 PM
A82

Oh, hold on. By first party did you mean not 3rd party (which I believe is assumed in most requests)?

In that case, I know that Elemental Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/elemental-spell-metamagic) works as well, including rods of Elemental Spell. It's not the most efficient way, however.

One can also dip into sorcerer for the bloodline arcana of the Djinni/Efreeti/Marid/Shaitan bloodlines. (Also available at level 1)

Ravens_cry
2011-10-27, 07:17 PM
A82
Sorcerer bloodlines don't work as this is for a build that uses two different sorcerer bloodlines.
But thanks for the heads up on Elemental Spell. That works as well I could expect.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-27, 08:20 PM
A82 Clarification: You should not expect the benefits of the Admixture Evocation School powers to apply to spells received from other classes. I will admit that the wording does not explicitly state this, but as a DM I certainly would not allow it.

Blisstake
2011-10-27, 09:55 PM
A82 Clarification: You should not expect the benefits of the Admixture Evocation School powers to apply to spells received from other classes. I will admit that the wording does not explicitly state this, but as a DM I certainly would not allow it.

RAW (see: thread title), it applies to all spells casted by the character, regardless of what class it comes from. Whether you allow it as a DM or not is irrelevant.

von Tortrix
2011-10-28, 05:22 AM
Q. 83

For the Craft Alchemy skill.... when it says 'convert the gp value to the value in sp' (i.e. x10), is that the market gp value? or the 1/3 gp value of raw materials that you need to craft?

Keneth
2011-10-28, 05:46 AM
Q84

(a) Can you make a conscious (friendly) creature drink a potion? Let's say an ally is getting dangerously low on hp but they don't have any actions left to drink a potion, can you "feed" them a potion on your turn if you're adjacent to them? My gut says no, since all turns in a round basically happen at the same time and if the character is doing something else, it can't also drink a potion but the question frequently pops up and I can't find any rules for it.

(b) What kind of action is handing an item to an ally? I'd like to say it's a free action (it seems kinda like switching a weapon from one hand to the other, which is a free action) but is there an actual rule for it?

Yora
2011-10-28, 06:26 AM
A83: The SRD says "Find the items price in silver pieces", so that would be the market price, not any other "cost".

"Pay 1/3 of the items price for the raw materials cost" is a step that comes later.

Blisstake
2011-10-28, 07:40 AM
Q84

(a) Can you make a conscious (friendly) creature drink a potion? Let's say an ally is getting dangerously low on hp but they don't have any actions left to drink a potion, can you "feed" them a potion on your turn if you're adjacent to them? My gut says no, since all turns in a round basically happen at the same time and if the character is doing something else, it can't also drink a potion but the question frequently pops up and I can't find any rules for it.

(b) What kind of action is handing an item to an ally? I'd like to say it's a free action (it seems kinda like switching a weapon from one hand to the other, which is a free action) but is there an actual rule for it?

A84

a. No. By the rules, you can only drink a potion yourself, or administer it to an unconscious creature as a full-round action. See: here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/potions) under "activation."

b. To my knowledge, there are no rules for this. The closest thing I can find is "moving or maniuplating an object is usually a move action," under the combat rules.

Larpus
2011-10-28, 07:51 AM
A83: The SRD says "Find the items price in silver pieces", so that would be the market price, not any other "cost".

"Pay 1/3 of the items price for the raw materials cost" is a step that comes later.
A83+
Either way, it's a calculation with only multiplication and division, so it makes no difference what comes first.

Example: Item costs 20gp

Apply before the 1/3: 20 x 10 = 200 /3 = 66.666... -> 66.7

Apply after the 1/3: 20 /3 = 6.6666... -> 6.67 x 10 = 66.7

Q84

A84
(a) Yes you can, making someone friendly and conscious drink a potion is a standard action on your part (same as activating a potion normally, or if you prefer to think this way, "applying an oil" on your fallen comrade). While someone unconscious (in this case he doesn't have to be friendly, unconscious = willing) is a full action.

It's under the potions entry.
Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil. The following rules govern potion and oil use.

Drinking a potion or using an oil is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container, preventing the character from drinking the potion or applying the oil.

A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures cannot use potions or oils. Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion or use an oil.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature's throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.

(b) I don't think there's any specific rule about that, but I believe it's about the same as retrieving a stored item, so I'd say it's a move action that provokes AoO.

Keneth
2011-10-28, 08:22 AM
(a) Yes you can, making someone friendly and conscious drink a potion is a standard action on your part (same as activating a potion normally, or if you prefer to think this way, "applying an oil" on your fallen comrade). While someone unconscious (in this case he doesn't have to be friendly, unconscious = willing) is a full action. Actually this isn't covered by that section. Applying an oil on someone else still doesn't make much sense in a combat situation unless the subject is unconscious or not moving. And the oil and potion are not interchangeable anyway (you can't make an oil of cure light wounds afaik). It's evident from the fact that there's no mention of who triggers an AoO, in the case of oils, it would be the one applying it but in the case of potions it would have to be both since you have to take your focus off to drink something.

(b) I don't think there's any specific rule about that, but I believe it's about the same as retrieving a stored item, so I'd say it's a move action that provokes AoO. Actually, unless you have the potions stashed in a backpack, it might be more akin to drawing a weapon, so a move action with no AoO on your part and a free (or maybe immediate) action for the the receiver. This seems like a really basic action though, it's gotta be defined somewhere, maybe in one of the 3e splatbooks.

Blisstake
2011-10-28, 09:05 AM
A84
(a) Yes you can, making someone friendly and conscious drink a potion is a standard action on your part (same as activating a potion normally, or if you prefer to think this way, "applying an oil" on your fallen comrade). While someone unconscious (in this case he doesn't have to be friendly, unconscious = willing) is a full action.

It's under the potions entry.
Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil. The following rules govern potion and oil use.

Drinking a potion or using an oil is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container, preventing the character from drinking the potion or applying the oil.

A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures cannot use potions or oils. Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion or use an oil.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature's throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.

A84 Dispute
This was the exact section I linked to in my answer, and nowhere does it say you are allowed to give a conscious friendly creature a potion. You are allowed to give an unconscious creature a potion, and you are allowed to give yourself one. Nothing else.

Zherog
2011-10-28, 09:15 AM
A 84 additional

I can see both sides of the argument. However, in the tradition of the 3.5 Q&A thread, I'm going to suggest that this clearly isn't a simple question, and we should move the discussion to a new thread so that this one doesn't get off track.

Larpus
2011-10-28, 10:04 AM
Actually, unless you have the potions stashed in a backpack, it might be more akin to drawing a weapon, so a move action with no AoO on your part and a free (or maybe immediate) action for the the receiver. This seems like a really basic action though, it's gotta be defined somewhere, maybe in one of the 3e splatbooks.
A83(b)+
I agree that it's weird it's not covered anywhere.

Anyway, regarding whether or not it provokes an AoO or not, I'd say it depends on how you pass the item. Passing it carefully to someone else's hand provokes, since it's quite similar to sheathing a weapon.

Simply throwing to them or similar doesn't, but the DM might require some sort of Dex check for the other person to grab the item.

In the end, unless some specific rule is found, it's a DM call.

EDIT: Some wording.

von Tortrix
2011-10-28, 10:28 AM
A83+
Either way, it's a calculation with only multiplication and division, so it makes no difference what comes first.

Example: Item costs 20gp

Apply before the 1/3: 20 x 10 = 200 /3 = 66.666... -> 66.7

Apply after the 1/3: 20 /3 = 6.6666... -> 6.67 x 10 = 66.7

But it does make a difference in this situation because the length of time it takes it determined by this value so either

a) item costs 20gp x10 =200sp and i'd make a craft check x the DC of that particular item = Y divide 200 by Y and that is the percentage of completion for a week. and this would cost my character 6.666gp (20/3)

or

b) item costs (20gp x10)/3 =66.6sp and i'd make a craft check x the DC of that particular item = Y divide 66.6 by Y and that is the percentage of completion for a week. and this would also cost me 6.666gp

i havn't drank my coffee quota for this time of the day so excuse me if this was poorly articulated.

Blisstake
2011-10-28, 10:54 AM
Q85

Imagine this situation: A neutral cleric worships a neutral/neutral deity, and decides to spontaneously channel positive energy. If they later change their alignment to neutral evil, do they still channel positive energy? I imagine the answer is still yes, but I want to make sure.

Additional: Under ex-clerics it states that an ex-cleric can no longer gain levels as a cleric of their god until they receive an attonement. Can they gain levels as a cleric as a different god and keep their class features? This is vaguely wording, so I'm thinking the answer is no.

Larpus
2011-10-28, 11:43 AM
But it does make a difference in this situation because the length of time it takes it determined by this value so either
[snip]
i havn't drank my coffee quota for this time of the day so excuse me if this was poorly articulated.
My apology, actually, I forgot to consider the later implications of the calculations.

Q85

Imagine this situation: A neutral cleric worships a neutral/neutral deity, and decides to spontaneously channel positive energy. If they later change their alignment to neutral evil, do they still channel positive energy? I imagine the answer is still yes, but I want to make sure.

Additional: Under ex-clerics it states that an ex-cleric can no longer gain levels as a cleric of their god until they receive an attonement. Can they gain levels as a cleric as a different god and keep their class features? This is vaguely wording, so I'm thinking the answer is no.
A85...?
The first one seems to be a DM call, it looks like an unpredicted occurrence with the given rules, so it depends on whether it's interpreted that the "evil Clerics always Channel negative" or "Once this choice is made, it cannot be reversed" is the most important part.

I'm slightly more inclined to the former actually, just because neutral Clerics of evil deities Channel negative, so it looks like this is the most important part, but it's so teeny tiny of a thing that it can really go either way afaik.

And regarding Ex-Clerics, from the straight wording, it looks like they can keep advancing as Clerics from another god and I guess keep their abilities too, just adapting to the new god. But that doesn't look right...

von Tortrix
2011-10-28, 12:56 PM
Q. 86

Does the feat 'Racial Heritage' allow me to add the benifits afforded by a level in a favored class for two races if they both have the same favored class? e.g. Human (gnome racial heritage) favored class Alchemist: add one aditional discovery, add +1/2 dice for bomb dmg.

Yora
2011-10-28, 01:11 PM
A86: You still get only one benefit from taking one level in your characters favored class. However, each level you can chose to take either the special feature for human or gnome.

Characters of all races can take +1 skill rank or +1 hit point, as well as a special benefit for combinations of race and class, but only one of them to the exclusion of the others. Just having more than one options does not allow you to take more than one.

Yora
2011-10-29, 03:57 PM
Q87: If a silver dragon uses its change shape ablity to assume human form, does it retain its original Str, Dex, and Con scores?

Q88: Do the Str and Dex boni from Alter Self apply always depending on the form you take, or only when your size changes to Medium or Small?
RAW clearly says the former, but the later seems so obvious that I wonder if there's any clarification on it.

Q89: Polymorph spell do not allow you to take the form of a specific creature, but some provide a +20 bonus on Disguise checks. Is that bonus limited to checks to impersonate the creature, or does it also apply to impersonating a specific person?

Keneth
2011-10-29, 05:36 PM
A87: Yes, it retains its physical ability scores and gains a bonus depending on size. Since its actual size might also change, the size modifiers (armor, attack, hide, etc.) are also modified, this is easy to forget when dealing with larger (or smaller) creatures than normal.

A88: The bonuses apply regardless of whether or not your size actually changes. This has been confirmed on paizo forums.

A89: I'm not sure about this one. The Polymorph spell says you get a +20 bonus on Disguise but the Disguise skill says you get a +10 bonus. You can't create a disguise for a specific person but you can emulate its type, height, weight, age, etc. which would grant you the bonus regardless of what you were trying to do.

Edit: Since spells are more specific, I would say the +20 bonus takes precedence. No idea why the skill description and magic description aren't the same.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-29, 06:02 PM
Q90: A creature standing in a 5-ft corridor is wielding a tower shield and claiming total cover in the direction of an enemy throwing splash weapons. The total cover prevents the enemy from directly attacking the creature, but if the splash weapon is instead thrown at the square directly in front of the creature, will it deal splash damage despite the total cover from the shield?

Shadow Lord
2011-10-29, 06:07 PM
Q90: A creature standing in a 5-ft corridor is wielding a tower shield and claiming total cover in the direction of an enemy throwing splash weapons. The total cover prevents the enemy from directly attacking the creature, but if the splash weapon is instead thrown at the square directly in front of the creature, will it deal splash damage despite the total cover from the shield?

A90: A creature standing in a 5-ft corridor with total cover would still take damage from a splash weapon; the rules give no allowance over the blocking of splash weapons when you have Total Cover. Thus, you can still damage the creature, because he is adjacent to the thrown splash weapon.

Yora
2011-10-30, 05:30 AM
@90: But when you have total cover, there is no line of effect. By that rule a splash attack would injure people on the other side of a solid stone wall as well.

Keneth
2011-10-30, 09:02 AM
A90 addendum

Line of effect is relative to the source of the splash. So yes, throwing a splash weapon to the square behind the barrier providing total cover would affect anything in that space normally. That is assuming that the thrower has a line of sight to that square in order to target it (DM's discretion if the creature can see past the tower shield).

The Glyphstone
2011-10-30, 09:31 AM
@90: But when you have total cover, there is no line of effect. By that rule a splash attack would injure people on the other side of a solid stone wall as well.

Q90.5: That would relate to the next question I was going to ask - does total cover, such as from a tower shield, block line of effect? It'd prevent the creature behind the shield from being splashed if it does, as well as shield it from line and burst area spells (though not targeted spells).

Yora
2011-10-30, 09:47 AM
A90: Straight from the PF SRD:

If you don't have line of effect to your target, he is considered to have total cover from you.
Completely blocking line of effect is the definition of total cover.

Retech
2011-10-30, 11:38 AM
Erm, that is not a logical conclusion.

If not line of effect > total cover

Only conclusion from that is

not total cover > line of effect

The converse is not necessarily true.

Yora
2011-10-30, 11:46 AM
What else is there that would block line of effect that isn't total cover?

The Glyphstone
2011-10-30, 12:42 PM
More like there could be total cover that doesn't block line of effect - such as a tower shield, since it does grant total cover but explicitly allows for targeted spells on the wielder via the shield, it could be ruled that other line-of-effect things, such as splash weapons or line spells, can bypass the shield as well.

Keneth
2011-10-30, 02:13 PM
it could be ruled that other line-of-effect things, such as splash weapons or line spells, can bypass the shield as well. RAW only allow for targeted spells to affect the target behind a tower shield, it otherwise acts no different than a wall and hence blocks all attacks that pass through it, including splash weapons.

Larpus
2011-10-30, 10:35 PM
Q91
I know you need two hands to wield a 2-handed weapon, but do you also need both to just hold it?

Can you, for example, wear a buckler strapped to one arm and, after attacking with a greasword or something, let go of it with a free action and benefit from the buckler's AC bonus?

Or, if you have claws, let go of the sword and make a claw attack with one of your hands?

Keneth
2011-10-31, 04:58 AM
A91

For the first part, you have to realize that all the turns (yours, your allies' and opponents') basically happen at the same time. The initiative line creates only an illusion of the fight happening sequentially. So yes, you can let go of the two-handed weapon to receive its AC bonus but you won't actually get that bonus until the next round (because you forfeited it due to fighting with that hand) and it goes away again if you decide to attack.

As for the second part, yes, I believe you can make a natural attack with one claw and hold on to the sword with the other. Remember that all natural attacks count as secondary when wielding a manufactured weapon though.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-31, 07:35 AM
A91 clarification: By RAW you cannot receive an AC bonus from wearing a buckler on the same turn in which you made an attack using a two-handed weapon. There is no way around this.

As for letting go with one hand from a two-handed weapon to make an alternate attack with one hand, this is indeed a free action. It is also a good tactic when if you are wielding a reach weapon and someone gets up close and personal. A (spiked) gauntlet will count as a melee weapon getting you around any issues you might encounter with natural attacks. You could even choose to attack using a two-handed weapon in one hand but you would incur penalties from using an oversized weapon.

Larpus
2011-10-31, 07:48 AM
Q91+
This one I thin to be one big no as it's borderline exploit, but here it goes:

Can you also as a free action change your weapon to the other hand (that just made a claw attack) and make your second claw attack with the, now free, hand?

By RAW it sounds possible, but feels very exploity.

Q92
Let's say you're a half-caster, such as Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus or Summoner. By default you can't use spell completion items (aka. scrolls) without a UMD check, even if they are in your class' list.

However, what happens if you grab the Scribe Scroll feat?

It doesn't require you to be a full-caster, so you can take it and, as such, make scrolls. But it also doesn't say it gives you the ability to use them without a UMD check, so by RAW are you in a weird and awkward situation where you're a blacksmith who can make swords but has no idea how to swing them?

Yora
2011-10-31, 08:04 AM
Q92
Let's say you're a half-caster, such as Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus or Summoner. By default you can't use spell completion items (aka. scrolls) without a UMD check, even if they are in your class' list.
How did you get this impression? I never heard that and don't find anything like that in the rules.

Keneth
2011-10-31, 08:20 AM
Can you also as a free action change your weapon to the other hand (that just made a claw attack) and make your second claw attack with the, now free, hand? This one is up to the DM's discretion as he's the one delegating how many free actions of a certain kind you can do at any given time. There's a good chance he'll say no.

Q92
Let's say you're a half-caster, such as Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus or Summoner. By default you can't use spell completion items (aka. scrolls) without a UMD check, even if they are in your class' list. Actually you can use any scroll of the correct type (arcane or divine) assuming the spell is on your spell list. So a magus could cast a scroll of shocking grasp that was scribed by a wizard. If the spell is not on your spell list, if your ability isn't high enough, or if the scroll is not of the right type, you are required to make a UMD check.

Larpus
2011-10-31, 08:31 AM
Q92+
Hmmm...I thought I had read it somewhere, so I either imagined the whole deal, it's either very deep and hidden or it has been changed.

That said, the limitation does exist for the Alchemist, probably because he casts so differently from the rest.
Although the alchemist doesn’t actually cast spells, he does have a formulae list that determines what extracts he can create. An alchemist can utilize spell-trigger items if the spell appears on his formulae list, but not spell-completion items (unless he uses Use Magic Device to do so). [...]

Keneth
2011-10-31, 08:44 AM
Yes, since the alchemist doesn't actually cast spells, he can't use spell completion items which basically require you to cast it the same way you would a spell.

Larpus
2011-10-31, 08:47 AM
So, by RAW, the Alchemist does get into the awkward situation of knowing how to make something and have no idea how to use it, right?

Could it be considered a RAW update to allow an Alchemist with Scribe Scroll to read scrolls normally though? After all, the feat was created before the Alchemist and it's a minor enough thing that is unlikely to be truly noticed and corrected (hell, Alchemist is my favorite class for some months now and I just noticed this myself).

Keneth
2011-10-31, 08:55 AM
Actually no, since the Alchemist doesn't actually cast spells, he doesn't have a caster level, although for the purposes of spell effects and dispel magic, he treats his alchemist level as the caster level. Since he's not a caster, he can't take Scribe Scroll. You could multiclass and take scribe scroll but he still wouldn't be able to scribe scrolls from his formulas (even though he can create formulas from scrolls).

Larpus
2011-10-31, 10:38 AM
That's debatable, it's specifically mentioned that "The alchemist uses his level as the caster level to determine any effect based on caster level", my DM has taken this as to meaning he does indeed have a CL and can select feats as normal.

But since this is diverting from "simple Q&A", here is a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12132958#post12132958) for that.

JoeYounger
2011-10-31, 08:48 PM
Q94: When crafting an item you don't meet the prereqs for, does increasing the DC by 5 allow you to craft the item without that prereq? Or does it increase the DC by 5 to allow someone who does meet the prereq help you?

NamelessNPC
2011-10-31, 10:49 PM
A94: From the PRD:

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites.

Bolded is mine. There are not rules for helping another one create an item, as far as I know.

JoeYounger
2011-10-31, 11:01 PM
A94: From the PRD:

Bolded is mine. There are not rules for helping another one create an item, as far as I know.

Yeah, I was referring to the part where it says that you can use spell completion items or other casters. I just wanted to make sure that I was misinterpreting what it was saying and skipping prereqs by adding 5 when rules as intended was saying if I dont meet the prereq I have to up the DC by 5 and find a caster to cast the prereq for me lol

Lord Bingo
2011-11-01, 07:55 AM
A94+ I see no reason why you should not be able to receive help via an assist action, just like in combat. In that case the people helping you would simply need to make a DC 10 skill check to provide a +2 bonus to your skill roll. Logically they would need to remain with you for the duration of the process of creation.

-edit- Obviously they too would have to meet the prerequisites for creating the item in question.

Larpus
2011-11-01, 09:33 AM
Q95
I might be blind or just looking in the wrong places for not finding it, but what is the relationship between beings that occupy more than 5ft (such as a large creature that occupies a 10x10ft square) and area/splash damage?

Does the creature receive the damage numerous times as parts of its body are within the blast/splash? Or it's once just like a medium creature and that's it?

Chopa
2011-11-01, 10:40 AM
Q96
How do you do a strength check in pathfinder? I have a statue thats needs to be turned to open a secret door. Is it worth making them do a strength check or just let it turn?

Sorry havnt played in years and that was AD&D :(

Thanks for the replies...no further advice is required. Apologies for posting my second query in the wrong forum.

Zherog
2011-11-01, 10:46 AM
A 96

Roll a d20 and add your Strength modifier. You can also allow others to "aid another." To do so, they roll a d20 and add their Strength mod. If that total equals or exceeds 10, the "main" person gets a +2 to their check.

Whether or not it's "worth" making them do a check isn't really a RAW question, so isn't part f this thread. For whatever it's worth, though, a piece of design advice I got a long time ago was: If you require a check, assume they'll fail. If what's behind the statue (in this case) is required to complete the adventure, then maybe you want to rethink your method; if, on the other hand, what's there is just bonus stuff (extra loot, a shortcut to the end, etc), then definitely require some sort of check to earn the bonus.

Larpus
2011-11-01, 11:14 AM
A 96

Roll a d20 and add your Strength modifier. You can also allow others to "aid another." To do so, they roll a d20 and add their Strength mod. If that total equals or exceeds 10, the "main" person gets a +2 to their check.

Whether or not it's "worth" making them do a check isn't really a RAW question, so isn't part f this thread. For whatever it's worth, though, a piece of design advice I got a long time ago was: If you require a check, assume they'll fail. If what's behind the statue (in this case) is required to complete the adventure, then maybe you want to rethink your method; if, on the other hand, what's there is just bonus stuff (extra loot, a shortcut to the end, etc), then definitely require some sort of check to earn the bonus.
A96+
It comes without saying really, but since I had this problem in the past I might as well add: due to the low bonus nature of raw ability score checks, please, remember to lower the DC considerably, especially if you want the PCs to pass. I've had a DM be amazed because I couldn't pass a DC 20 Str check with my Barbarian, despite the fact that I needed a 15 or better (13 with Rage) to pass the check.

Zherog
2011-11-01, 11:39 AM
A 96 add'l

Very good point. There's probably a lot of advice that can be given around this topic. If you'd like some more advice, Chopa, it's definitely a topic worthy of its own thread.

Prime32
2011-11-01, 02:20 PM
Q95
I might be blind or just looking in the wrong places for not finding it, but what is the relationship between beings that occupy more than 5ft (such as a large creature that occupies a 10x10ft square) and area/splash damage?

Does the creature receive the damage numerous times as parts of its body are within the blast/splash? Or it's once just like a medium creature and that's it?A95: Just once. The splash affects creatures within 5ft of the target, not within 5ft of the point of impact. Yes, this means that the larger the target the more squares are affected.

Arbane
2011-11-01, 03:22 PM
For whatever it's worth, though, a piece of design advice I got a long time ago was: If you require a check, assume they'll fail. If what's behind the statue (in this case) is required to complete the adventure, then maybe you want to rethink your method; if, on the other hand, what's there is just bonus stuff (extra loot, a shortcut to the end, etc), then definitely require some sort of check to earn the bonus.

Good advice, this. Don't have players roll dice unless you can deal with them failing or succeeding.

And specifically for situations like this one, don't forget the Take 20 rules.

Drelua
2011-11-01, 07:32 PM
Q 97

If I take the Two-Weapon Warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/two-weapon-warrior) Fighter archetype for the Double Strike ability and I have the feat Two-Weapon Rend (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/two-weapon-rend-combat---final), can I make a rend attack when I hit with both of my attacks in an AoO?

If the answer is yes, which I think it is, will the 1/round limitation on rend attacks from the feat apply to the previous round, or the next (as is the case with immediate actions)?

Yora
2011-11-01, 08:03 PM
A97: Attack of Opportunity is defined as "a single meele attack" while Double Strike is a "standard attack" action.
With an AoO, you don't make a standard attack, so you can't use your Double Strike ability as an AoO.

Drelua
2011-11-01, 08:30 PM
A97: Attack of Opportunity is defined as "a single meele attack" while Double Strike is a "standard attack" action.
With an AoO, you don't make a standard attack, so you can't use your Double Strike ability as an AoO.

Sorry, I meant the Equal Opportunity ability. So, same question, except if I had said what I meant to say.:smallredface:

Lord Bingo
2011-11-01, 09:38 PM
A97+ Yes, you do get to make a rend attack, provided you hit with both your main and offhand weapons.

The 1/round applies to the current round of combat, even if you apply it as an AoO. It is not a question of your individual turn in the combat round, but of the combat round as a whole.

Yora
2011-11-02, 05:01 AM
A97: A new round usually starts at the beginning of your next turn, so you can only make the rend as an AoO if you did not used it on your last turn.

Ditto
2011-11-02, 09:58 PM
Q98

Anyone familiar with Words of Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power)? I have a question about the WOP feats...

Say I have a normal-casting oracle who takes Experimental Wordcaster. Can he take Extra Word for his next feat? I believe the pre-req (Ability to cast Wordspells) is granted by the former feat.

Taking Experimental Wordcaster repeatedly appears to be strictly better than taking Extra Word for dabblers, since the former offers 2 effect or meta words of any level you can cast (including your highest), whereas the latter lets you take 1 word (highest) or 2 words (highest -1).

Larpus
2011-11-02, 10:22 PM
Q98

Anyone familiar with Words of Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power)? I have a question about the WOP feats...

Say I have a normal-casting oracle who takes Experimental Wordcaster. Can he take Extra Word for his next feat? I believe the pre-req (Ability to cast Wordspells) is granted by the former feat.

Taking Experimental Wordcaster repeatedly appears to be strictly better than taking Extra Word for dabblers, since the former offers 2 effect or meta words of any level you can cast (including your highest), whereas the latter lets you take 1 word (highest) or 2 words (highest -1).
A98
I see no reason why it shouldn't allow you to take Extra Word, after all you can now "cast wordspells" which is the main (and hardest to get) condition to qualify for Extra Word.

Also yes, taking Experimental Wordcaster over and over is better than Extra Word for the mentioned reasons, unless what you're after is the 2 lower words.

Oh, and from the way it's worded, it seems like having Experimental Wordcaster allows you to choose words in place of spells on level up.

Keneth
2011-11-03, 06:46 AM
Q99

I've been dealing with items that replicate spells a lot lately so I want to check a few things. Correct me if I'm wrong:

(1) Spell Completion items use your own caster level and primary attribute to determine the effects of the spell. If your caster level isn't high enough and you succeed the CL check, do you use the minimum caster level (spell level*2 - 1) instead?

(2) Spell Trigger items use the minimum requisite attributes required to cast the spell, so a 4th level spell would use an effective primary ability score of 14, making the DC=16. The crafter can also raise the CL at creation instead of using the minimum. Your caster level is irrelevant as long as the spell is on your spell list, right?

(3) Use activated items like potions use your level as CL. Is the primary ability score used equal to the minimum (where applicable)?

Q100 Is there any way to ground a flying creature at lower levels (up to lvl5)?

Yora
2011-11-03, 06:57 AM
A99:

1. No, spell completion items have their CL set at creation, usually the minimum that is neccessary to cast the spell. I assume the DC is set as well, but I don't find any info on that.

2. Yes.

3. No. Again the CL is set by the creator during creation, usually the minimum required to cast the spell.

The only time you use your own Caster Level and stats are when using Staffs.

A100: A creature hit by a tanglefoot bag must make a DC 15 Reflex check or becomes unable to fly.

Ditto
2011-11-03, 07:05 AM
A100

If they have actual wings, and Tanglefoot bag might be useful. Spells that can neutralize fliers include Charm Person, Hypnotism (they have to 'stand still', so if they don't have the maneuverability to hover then they'll have to descend), Sleep, Gust of Wind (if they're small enough), or Color Spray (if they're dumb enough to get within 15 feet).

Keneth
2011-11-03, 08:03 AM
A99:
3. No. Again the CL is set by the creator during creation, usually the minimum required to cast the spell. Actually to quote the SRD:

The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect). So a potion uses your character level as the caster level.

I've also found the entry for scrolls but unlike in 3.5, it says that the CL is determined by the scriber, so I guess you're right about that one. You're also right about the ability score, I thought scrolls used your own but I guess staves are the only exception.

A100

If they have actual wings, and Tanglefoot bag might be useful. Spells that can neutralize fliers include Charm Person, Hypnotism (they have to 'stand still', so if they don't have the maneuverability to hover then they'll have to descend), Sleep, Gust of Wind (if they're small enough), or Color Spray (if they're dumb enough to get within 15 feet). It doesn't look like any of this is gonna work although repeatedly throwing tanglefoot bombs (if the alchemist decides to take the discovery) might succeed eventually.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-03, 08:08 AM
Q101: Can a shield bash be made as an attack of opportunity?

Q102: Can a shield bash be used as a mainhand attack?[/b]

Yora
2011-11-03, 08:28 AM
A101: Attacks of Opportunity are defined as "a single melee attack". A shield counts as an off-hand martial weapon, so you can attack with it.

A102: This is a bit more complicated. PF and 3.5e don't have right-handedness or left-handedness anymore. However, the rules for main hand and off hand attacks suggest that you are still considered to have a strong arm and a weak arm. And since you would carry a weapon in your strong hand and the shield strapped to the other, it makes sense to always treat the shield as the off-hand weapon.
However, there is nothing that would prevent you from using a shield with your main hand. But simply not using your weapon and making only a single attack with your shield on your shield arm, would not make it a main-hand attack under this assumption.

Larpus
2011-11-03, 10:01 AM
A102: This is a bit more complicated. PF and 3.5e don't have right-handedness or left-handedness anymore. However, the rules for main hand and off hand attacks suggest that you are still considered to have a strong arm and a weak arm. And since you would carry a weapon in your strong hand and the shield strapped to the other, it makes sense to always treat the shield as the off-hand weapon.
However, there is nothing that would prevent you from using a shield with your main hand. But simply not using your weapon and making only a single attack with your shield on your shield arm, would not make it a main-hand attack under this assumption.
A102 Contested?
Actually, there might be an impossibility by RAW due to the following text:
Shield Bash Attacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/shield-heavy-or-light)

You can bash an opponent with a shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon.

For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon and treat a light shield as a light weapon.

It is stated that shield bashes are off-hand attacks, which the way it was explained to me is an attack that you do "with the motion", an extra attack without any true strength to back them up, which is why you can make a full Str main attack with your left hand in a round and the following it's suddenly a half-Str offhand attack.

Anyway, it is also possible that this bit of text doesn't mean "shield bashes are offhand attacks" but rather "may be used as offhand attacks", in which case it follows the normal rules for weapons and allows you to use it as a main hand attack as well as two-hand it.

As per my reading it seems like it can go both ways, it makes sense that it follows normal weapon rules (may be offhand), but it also makes sense that it has its own specific set of rules as they're not designed to be true weapons (are offhand), so I say it's a DM call.

Yttrium
2011-11-03, 12:47 PM
A99:(3)

Actually to quote the SRD:
So a potion uses your character level as the caster level.

The SRD quote is the following:

The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

This is the same quote as originally included.

The quote specifically states "the potion indicates the caster level." This succinctly answers the question about the consumer of the potion dictating the level of the potion - the level of the potion is dictated when created. A potion does not use the consumer's character or caster level as the spell effect's caster level.

The second part of that quote ("the drink still controls the effect") is tied to the phrase "the drinker of a potion is ... the caster of the effect." This is a statement of spell-effect ownership, not about dictating the caster level of the effect.

While this level of syntactical analysis can be mind-dizzying, the RAW has no ambiguity about the caster level - the caster level of a potion is set by the creator when the potion is created and is completely independent of the entity that consumes the potion itself.

Yora
2011-11-03, 01:06 PM
Q103: What is the DC against spells cast from scrolls and wands?

Blisstake
2011-11-03, 01:15 PM
Q103: What is the DC against spells cast from scrolls and wands?

A103

10+Spell Level+minimum ability modifier required to cast that spell

So...

Level 1: DC 11
Level 2: DC 13
Level 3: DC 14
Level 4: DC 16
Level 5: DC 17
Level 6: DC 19
Level 7: DC 20
Level 8: DC 22
Level 9: DC 23

There are a few class features out there that allow you to increase this amount, however.

Zherog
2011-11-03, 01:17 PM
A103

From the Magic Items section of the PRD:

Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staves are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DCs.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).

Keneth
2011-11-04, 05:06 AM
The quote specifically states "the potion indicates the caster level." This succinctly answers the question about the consumer of the potion dictating the level of the potion - the level of the potion is dictated when created. A potion does not use the consumer's character or caster level as the spell effect's caster level.

The second part of that quote ("the drink still controls the effect") is tied to the phrase "the drinker of a potion is ... the caster of the effect." This is a statement of spell-effect ownership, not about dictating the caster level of the effect.

While this level of syntactical analysis can be mind-dizzying, the RAW has no ambiguity about the caster level - the caster level of a potion is set by the creator when the potion is created and is completely independent of the entity that consumes the potion itself. I'm finding it hard to see it that way. I read this as - since you are both the caster and the controller of the effect, the potion uses your own caster level even though the potion indicates one. Otherwise there's no point in the second part of the sentence, it could have simply and unambiguously said "(though the potion still dictates the caster level)", in fact they could have just skipped the whole section since all of this is implied anyway.

Of course I agree that it should be the creator's CL that gets used, I'm just not looking forward to arguing this point with my players. The rules also say that "for potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level" and there would be no point in setting the caster level if it didn't have any effect.

Yora
2011-11-04, 06:14 AM
The person drinking the potion is the caster for the purpose of spells that are "target: self". The person drinking the potion gets the effect, not the person who created the potion three weeks ago.

Larpus
2011-11-04, 07:18 AM
It would be funny to sell potions of Alter Self with the effect of turning the drinker into a female half-orc with a pink dress.

Back on topic.

Q104
Ok, so to create a MW weapon/armor you need a set extra gp cost, namely 300 and 150.

However the price is 100% static? I mean, it would make sense to have MW small equipment cost less and large+ cost more, but that doesn't seem to be the case (in fact, the base price itself seems static). Is that correct?

Q105
Somewhat similar to 104, but are there small and large versions of tools of trade (such as the Alchemist Portable Lab)? Again, the rules don't seem to make any distinction, but that doesn't look right.

Yora
2011-11-04, 07:29 AM
A104: It's always 300 and 150 gp, regardless of what you are making.

A105: The rules, as written, do not care about size for tools.

Yora
2011-11-05, 01:10 PM
Q106: If you cast detect magic or similar spell, does the round in which you cast the spell count as the 1st round of concentration?

Q107: Is there a way to identify specific spells that are in place after they have been cast?

Q108: What exactly does it mean when a spell says "counters and dispels X"? Counterspelling I know, but when a creature under the effect of remove fear is targeted by a cause fear spell, does the remove fear spell automatically end if it does, is the cause fear spell negated or still becomes effective?

Blisstake
2011-11-05, 03:31 PM
Q106: If you cast detect magic or similar spell, does the round in which you cast the spell count as the 1st round of concentration?

Q107: Is there a way to identify specific spells that are in place after they have been cast?

Q108: What exactly does it mean when a spell says "counters and dispels X"? Counterspelling I know, but when a creature under the effect of remove fear is targeted by a cause fear spell, does the remove fear spell automatically end if it does, is the cause fear spell negated or still becomes effective?

A106

It doesn't seem to be stated any where, but I'm fairly certain the spell goes into effect as soon as you cast it, and each concentration check allows you to extend the duration by one round.

A107

Knowledge Arcana check, DC 20 + spell level.

A108

It means you can use one of those spells to counterspell another being cast (this is noted under the counterspell description). Under "Stacking Effects" in the chapter on Magic (pg 209), it also mentions that spells with that description negate eachother. This is entire vague, but I believe it means if you cast an opposed spell to an effect already in place, it is automatically dispelled.

Psyren
2011-11-06, 11:40 AM
A106: It would have to. If the round when you cast the spell didn't count as concentrating on it, no spell with a duration of concentration would last long enough to get to the second round (as you aren't able to spend a standard action concentrating.)

A107b: In addition to the Knowledge check answer above, you can use a spell like Analyze Dweomer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/analyze-dweomer) to avoid the need for a check.

A108: You're asking whether, if a spell that has a duration (A) is used to dispel another spell that has a duration (B), whether A will go on to be in effect on the target or whether A and B will cancel each other out with no other effects - is that right?

It doesn't seem to be clearly stated anywhere in RAW; I personally would go with both negating each other (thus you would need two "Cause Fear" to scare someone protected by Remove Fear, rather than one) as this makes the most sense to me, but check with your DM.

Keneth
2011-11-07, 08:11 AM
A108+

The canceling each other out seems pretty clear with spells that only affect one or more targets, one dispels the other and neither continues functioning unless otherwise specified. It's more complex with spells that have an area such as Darkness, in that case I'd use the rules of (Greater) Dispel Magic and dispelling area spells, if your spell covers the origin, you dispel the whole thing, otherwise just the intersection of the two.

Roto
2011-11-07, 10:45 AM
Q109 For the Transmutation school for Wizard. Does the Physical Enhancement affect hit points if you put it into Constitution and then gain a level?

Keneth
2011-11-07, 11:30 AM
A109 Any bonus to Constitution (whether temporary or permanent) always affects your hit points (assuming your modifier is increased).

Chained Birds
2011-11-07, 11:12 PM
Q110 Can a rogue taking both minor and major magic for his rogue powers enter the Dragon Disciple PrC?

If I named the powers wrong, I'm refering to the RPs that grant a 0th and 1st lvl spell as an SLA for a few times per day.

Zherog
2011-11-07, 11:29 PM
A 110

No. The rogue talents grant a spell-like ability. The prestige class requires the ability to cast actual spells.

(Edit: and you had the names right...)

Larpus
2011-11-07, 11:33 PM
Q110 Can a rogue taking both minor and major magic for his rogue powers enter the Dragon Disciple PrC?

If I named the powers wrong, I'm refering to the RPs that grant a 0th and 1st lvl spell as an SLA for a few times per day.
A110
No, the Rogue Talents are Spell-like Abilities, not proper spells, so it doesn't allow you to qualify.

Even if it did, a case could be made from the fact that it keys from Int, which I believe is always coupled with prepared casters, not spontaneous, hinting that a Rogue with these talents can "cast that one prepared spell" as opposed to "only know one spell to cast spontaneously".

EDIT: Ninja-ed!

Dazed&Confused
2011-11-08, 12:57 AM
Q111
How would Heighten Turning work with Divine Spell Power? Can I really use it to boost the test(like some people told me I could) even though HT's description starts by saying "When you turn or rebuke undead" instead of "When you use your turn or rebuke undead attempts"? I kinda thought that spending a turn attempt to use DSP would be like "turning, then redirecting the power to the spell", which would make it possible. Is that it?

Keneth
2011-11-08, 06:50 AM
A111 This depends mostly on how your DM rules it. The way I read the RAW personally, I wouldn't allow it because heighten turning can be applied when using turn/rebuke undead as an ability and DSP is a completely different ability that merely uses a turn attempt.

And this is in the wrong thread, it should go to the 3.5 Q&A.

Dazed&Confused
2011-11-08, 08:37 AM
Holy ****, it's the wrong thread. hahaha

von Tortrix
2011-11-08, 10:55 AM
Q. 112

Can I attempt a trip manuver as an Attack of Opportunity?
With improved Trip?

CommodoreCrunch
2011-11-08, 11:40 AM
Q113: Can a Wizard who has lost the Cantrips class feature (for example, through the Spellslinger archetype) still learn a 0-level spell when leveling and prepare it in a higher-level slot? I ask specifically because Mending would be useful to have around in the particular campaign I'm in and I don't mind putting it in a 1st level slot.

Yora
2011-11-08, 12:45 PM
A112: As RAW says "in place of a melee attack" and Attacks of Opportunity are melee attacks, you can. GMs might rule different, but the letter of the words say yes.

A113: Since cantrips are refered to as level 0 spells, you can do so.

Larpus
2011-11-08, 02:26 PM
Q114
A friend mentioned this in the last game, but I couldn't find anything on the matter:

If I have Improved Trip (or similar) and try to trip someone who also happens to have the exact same feat, do both feats "cancel each" other and I provoke an AoO (and vice versa if said someone tries to trip me?

Yora
2011-11-08, 02:29 PM
A114: No, Improved Trip only says "you don't provoke any Attack of Opportunity when making a Trip attack". So you don't.

gomanfox
2011-11-08, 02:34 PM
A114

It sounds like you're mixing Improved Trip and Greater Trip since you're asking if you provoke an AoO if your opponent trips you.

With Improved Trip, when you make a Trip maneuver, you no longer provoke an AoO as you would without the feat.

With Greater Trip, if your opponent trips you, you do provoke an AoO since Improved Trip says nothing about AoOs triggered by being tripped.

The only things that would "cancel out" between two people with the same feats basically would be the +2 bonuses to CMB and CMD that Improved Trip gives.

Drelua
2011-11-09, 05:59 PM
Q 115

Under the description if an Intellect Devourer's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/intellect-devourer) Body Thief ability, it says that if the host body is slain, the Intellect Devourer is forced out of the body. It also says that to take control of a body, it must kill the person. Do you simply use the person's normal hit points, as if they were still alive to determine when the Intellect Devourer is forced out and dazed?

Larpus
2011-11-10, 07:06 AM
Q 115

Under the description if an Intellect Devourer's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/intellect-devourer) Body Thief ability, it says that if the host body is slain, the Intellect Devourer is forced out of the body. It also says that to take control of a body, it must kill the person. Do you simply use the person's normal hit points, as if they were still alive to determine when the Intellect Devourer is forced out and dazed?
A115
Since it's not mentioned anywhere that the intellect devourer gives extra hitpoints or forces a template on the host and the text makes special mention that both are separate entities, I'd say that yes, you use the host's normal HP, though it might be lacking some since it's already dead.

The other option, the host maintains as much HP as it had when attacked by the devourer, while making sense since it's implied that the host never heals, would mean that the devourer would walk around with a host at very low HP levels and most probably already slain, making no sense.

RndmNumGen
2011-11-10, 11:05 AM
Q 116:

The Arcane Trickster class specifies that to qualify, you must be able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells. However, under Spells per Day it only lists +1 level of existing class, and the description is as follows:

When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if she is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an arcane trickster, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Nothing that specifies arcane spellcasting. Does this mean that as long as somebody qualifies for the class, they could also advance Divine spellcasting?

Zherog
2011-11-10, 11:44 AM
A 116

Yes, such a character could opt to increase divine casting instead of arcane casting.

Yora
2011-11-10, 12:28 PM
@116: While a literal reading of the letters does allow to improve divine spellcasting, the fact that the prerequisite explicitly asks for arcane spellcasting is an extremely strong indication, that the class can only advance arcane spellcasting.

Razanir
2011-11-10, 07:18 PM
Q 117: Can I change my Eilodon's base form? If yes, when?

Bhaakon
2011-11-10, 07:52 PM
Q 118

part 1: If my fighter is wielding a reach weapon, but also has the improved unarmed strike feat, does that character threaten both adjacent squares and those 10' away?

part 2: What if that character took a level in monk, whose description (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk#TOC-Unarmed-Strike)says, "A monk's attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may make unarmed strikes with his hands full."

Yora
2011-11-10, 09:04 PM
A118: Unarmed Strikes usually don't threaten a square for attacks of opportunity, but in the same paragraph it says that you should look at the following paragraph for more details. In the following paragraph it is explained under what conditions unarmed attacks are considered "armed" and Improved Unarmed Strike is one of them.

So if you have the feat or are a monk, you can make attacks of opportunity with unarmed attacks. And there are no rules to holding a weapon when not making attacks, so you can do it even while holding a reach weapon.

Larpus
2011-11-10, 11:18 PM
Q 117: Can I change my Eilodon's base form? If yes, when?
A117
Well, you sort of can, you have to be a level 8+ and have the Evolutionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/evolutionist)archetype, who can trade the Eidolon's base form whenever he gains a level.

Otherwise the base form is final and cannot be changed, so think carefully of what you'll get.

share and enjoy
2011-11-11, 09:37 AM
Q 119 are there non-magical ways of causing the dazed condition?

Keneth
2011-11-11, 09:55 AM
A119 Dazing Assault feat comes to mind but the prereqs are pretty heavy. I was gonna say dirty trick but after checking the SRD again, it doesn't actually allow you to daze (it's a pretty extreme condition).

Keneth
2011-11-12, 07:28 AM
Q120 Does a ranger with favored enemy Humanoid (human) receive normal bonuses against a human lycanthrope when in hybrid or animal form?

Yora
2011-11-12, 07:40 AM
A120: Yes, Change Shape does not affect a creatures type and subtypes.

Keneth
2011-11-12, 08:17 AM
I know, it just seems a bit of a stretch to play it like that. It feels like the ranger should either have favored enemy Humanoid (human) and Animal or Humanoid (shapechanger) to effectively combat this particular type of menace. I guess it's gonna be up to the DM.

RndmNumGen
2011-11-12, 11:56 PM
Q121: When a character gains a particular bonus feat, but they already have that feat, do they get to choose a different one, or is it wasted?

Keneth
2011-11-13, 05:25 AM
A121 Unless otherwise specified in the description, you don't get to choose a different feat if you already have it. You could ask the DM if he would let you retrain the old one but that's outside the RAW, so...

Roto
2011-11-13, 09:39 PM
Q122: Can a Half-Elf choose human or elf traits or are they limited just to half-elf traits?

RndmNumGen
2011-11-13, 09:56 PM
A122: They can select both Human and Elf traits:

Elf Blood: Half-elves count as both elves and humans for any effect related to race.

Bhaakon
2011-11-14, 12:58 AM
Q123

Is the x2 cost multiplier for cold iron weapons applied before or after the 300 gp premium for masterwork weapons. (ie: does my MW cold iron daggers cost 304 GP, or 604 GP?)

Haron
2011-11-14, 03:28 AM
A104: It's always 300 and 150 gp, regardless of what you are making.

A123

See A104 above, it's always 300gp

Edit:

To quote the SRD

To create a masterwork item, you create the masterwork component as if it were a separate item in addition to the standard item. The masterwork component has its own price (300 gp for a weapon or 150 gp for a suit of armor or a shield, see Equipment for the price of other masterwork tools) and a Craft DC of 20.

The masterwork-part of your weapon does not depend on what you're making, it's just a 300gp ingredient

Drelua
2011-11-14, 03:54 AM
A123

See A104 above, it's always 300gp

Edit:

To quote the SRD

The masterwork-part of your weapon does not depend on what you're making, it's just a 300gp ingredient

A 123
Actually, to quote the SRD;
Weapons made of cold iron cost twice as much to make as their normal counterparts (not counting masterwork costs)

According to this text, he masterwork component of the weapon is calculated separately, so it would be 304.

Razanir
2011-11-14, 08:42 AM
Q124 How possible is Barbarian/Rogue to sneak up behind an enemy in full-plate armor then sneak attack them with a Greataxe?

Yora
2011-11-14, 08:46 AM
A124: That depends entirely on the barbarians Stealth modifier and his victims Perception modifier. However, there is no rule that prevents him from trying it and if his Stealth roll is higher than the victims Perception roll, he can do a sneak attack.

The Shadow, Improved Shadow, and Greater Shadow armor enchantments can give him a +5, +10, or +15 bonus to his Stealth checks.

If he uses mithral full plate instead of normal masterwork full plate, the armor check penalty to Stealth checks is reduced by 3.

Also, heavy armor only limits the Dexterity modifier that can be added to the characters Armor Class. It does not limit the Dexterity modifier for Skills, so everything that improves the characters Dexterity, like a Cat's Grace spell or gloves of dexterity also improves the Stealth modifier.

Barbarians and rogues are not proficient with Heavy Armor and you take the Armor Check Penalty to all attack rolls and Skills that include movement unless you have learned the Feat Heavy Armor Prodiciency. This is even the case if you have mithral armor.

share and enjoy
2011-11-14, 09:20 AM
Q125 does an enchantment on a weapon with the blocking quality increase the shield bonus?

Q126 errata says that none of the weapons with the 'monk' descriptor from the newer books give the monk proficiency in these weapons unless descriptions says otherwise but does the unarmed fighter variant gain proficiency with them?

Q127after a quick look it doesn't seem like any of the new weapons state that monks are proficient with them does this mean that the monk hasn't gained any weapon proficiency since release? (this is bordering on a complaint rather than a question feel free to ignore it)

Yora
2011-11-14, 09:51 AM
A125: No, the bonus is always +1.

A126: The term "Monk Weapons" is not defined. It could either mean weapons that a monk is proficient with, or weapons that a monk can use with flurry of blows.
My personal view is that it probably means the weapons that monks are proficient with, but the rules don't clearly say that.

A127: Yes, it probably means just that.

RndmNumGen
2011-11-14, 11:32 AM
R126: "Monk Weapon" actually is defined as any weapon a Monk can use when making a Flurry of Blows attack. Monks are not necessarily proficient with all monk weapons:

Q: If a weapon is specified as a monk weapon, does that mean that monks are automatically proficient with that weapon?
A: No. It means that they can use this weapon while using flurry of blows.

By raw, the Unarmed Fighter variant does gain proficiency with all of these weapons:

An unarmed fighter is proficient with all monk weapons, including exotic monk weapons.

R127: Yes, this appears to be the case by RAW. However, I would consider it completely reasonable(over-reasonable?) to give the Monk proficiency with all Monk weapons, since that is one of the few things they get over other classes(and Monk weapons are rarely anything special anyway).

DrDeth
2011-11-15, 03:56 PM
A124: That depends entirely on the barbarians Stealth modifier and his victims Perception modifier. However, there is no rule that prevents him from trying it and if his Stealth roll is higher than the victims Perception roll, he can do a sneak attack.

No. In pathfinder, by the RAW, Stealth does not make your foe lose his DEX, thus no sneak attack. Well, you can sneak into a flanking posn, and you get flat-footed at the start of a round before your foe Init has gone, but Stealth does not grant sneak attack.

Now, there’s a Paizo Blog where they discuss changing the definition of Stealth, etc to allow this. But they are discussing a RULE CHANGE, not a FAQ. Thus even the blog makes it clear that under the RAW, stealth does not grant Sneak attack. Only Invisibility, ( + flanking or flat-footed. )

Yora
2011-11-15, 06:10 PM
It's the same limitation that apply to a rogue in leather armor.

deuxhero
2011-11-16, 07:47 PM
Q128:Snatch/Deflect Arrows says it can be used on "ranged" attacks. Does this means it can be used on bullets (Ala FFT Blade Grasp) ?

Q129: How is the damage for throwing a ranged attack back from deflect arrows calculated?

Larpus
2011-11-17, 07:23 AM
Q128:Snatch/Deflect Arrows says it can be used on "ranged" attacks. Does this means it can be used on bullets (Ala FFT Blade Grasp) ?

Q129: How is the damage for throwing a ranged attack back from deflect arrows calculated?
A128
Yes you can for most types of bullets, it's under "firearms" in the SRD:

Deflecting and Snatching Bullets: The Deflect Arrows feat and the Snatch Arrows feat can be used to deflect bullets, but not pellets shot from a scatter weapon. Neither of these feats can be used to deflect siege firearm attacks.

A129
Couldn't find a specific rule for this, but seeing as the feat mentions that you "throw it back", I'd say that you treat the projectile as a thrown weapon.
@RndmNumGen: Good catch.

RndmNumGen
2011-11-17, 11:33 AM
R129: You can't throw bullets, arrows or bolts back:

Instead of knocking an arrow or ranged attack aside, you can catch it in mid-flight.

Prerequisites: Dex 15, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefit: When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may choose to catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it. Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back as an attack against the original attacker (even though it isn't your turn) or kept for later use.

You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat.
You can catch projectile weapons, but you can only throw back things such as javelins, darts, shuriken, etc.

Yttrium
2011-11-18, 10:08 AM
Q130: If someone is struct with a disease (onset: immediate) multiple times in rapid succession, does the onset ability damage/other effects take effect multiple times? (please cite source, I can't find it)

Yora
2011-11-18, 03:09 PM
A130: I don't see any reason why. You already are afflicted with the disease and you can have a disease only once, it doesn't stack. Catching a disease while already having the disease would mean that the second time nothing happens at all.

Lord Bingo
2011-11-19, 01:21 PM
A130+ The same rules apply to disease as does to poison, in the case of multiple exposures, if they happen in the same round. In the case of multiple doses you only roll to save once, and increase the DC of the save by +2 for every exposure.

If a character is bitten three by a critter with and infective bite, the DC to prevent getting sick would be the base DC +4.

I have not got time to look it up atm, but I believe it is under poisons somewhere.

JKTrickster
2011-11-19, 04:38 PM
Q131: If a weapon effect activates on the threat of a critical, can it still apply to creatures that are immune to critical hits?

Keneth
2011-11-20, 05:06 AM
A130+ The same rules apply to disease as does to poison [...] What? No they don't, poisons follow completely different rules. Where did you read that? :smallconfused: You can't contract a disease more than once, you're either infected or you're not, there are no other effects if you're exposed to it again until you get rid of it.

Q131: If a weapon effect activates on the threat of a critical, can it still apply to creatures that are immune to critical hits? No, since you don't threaten a critical on any number against a monster immune to crits.

Keneth
2011-11-20, 02:46 PM
Q132 If being reincarnated into a creature that usually has racial hit dice (such as bugbear), you don't gain those, right? In fact if I understand it correctly, it's more like a polymorph spell, you just look the part and your racial modifiers change.

Q133 Are there any official rules for haggling?

Yttrium
2011-11-20, 04:38 PM
A130: I don't see any reason why. You already are afflicted with the disease and you can have a disease only once, it doesn't stack. Catching a disease while already having the disease would mean that the second time nothing happens at all.

A130+ The same rules apply to disease as does to poison, in the case of multiple exposures, if they happen in the same round. In the case of multiple doses you only roll to save once, and increase the DC of the save by +2 for every exposure.

If a character is bitten three by a critter with and infective bite, the DC to prevent getting sick would be the base DC +4.

I have not got time to look it up atm, but I believe it is under poisons somewhere.

What? No they don't, poisons follow completely different rules. Where did you read that? :smallconfused: You can't contract a disease more than once, you're either infected or you're not, there are no other effects if you're exposed to it again until you get rid of it.

No, since you don't threaten a critical on any number against a monster immune to crits.

This is a RAW Q&A. Can anyone answer the question asked (Q130) using the RAW?

Keneth
2011-11-20, 05:07 PM
This is a RAW Q&A. Can anyone answer the question asked (Q130) using the RAW? Well as far as I know, it's not spelled out specifically in the rules (I couldn't find it either and I've looked on several occasions). But as far as I know, you can't contract any particular affliction more than once at the same time, onset is irrelevant. There are exceptions such as poisons which have special provisions written in the description to point out how the effects stack (but you don't take damage multiple times from poisons either).

The way we handle disease is, you have to roll one save for any one particular source. If you make the save, you can can ignore that source from then on but you're still liable to get it from a different source (such as when there's several creatures attacking you), if don't make a save then you're infected and that's basically that, until you're cured, any other sources of the disease have no effect.

Twibby
2011-11-21, 12:44 AM
Q134: Do crafters half the cost of the material for a weapon, armor, or shield, if they are creating the weapon themselves, instead of simply buying it?

Example: A crafter wants to make an adamantite weapon. The item cost modifier is +3000 gp.

Would the crafter halve the adamantite cost after gp calculations thus meaning +3000 go is the base price, or would buying the weapon instead of crafting cost an extra 6000 gp instead of 3000 gp?

Razanir
2011-11-21, 06:54 PM
Q135: Eidolons are Outsiders, and the Detect Magic spell can detect outsiders... What is the caster level/spell level used to summon them and therefore determine the strength of the magic?

Lord Bingo
2011-11-21, 09:44 PM
A130 by RAW Okay. I did some scouring of the rules, and this is what I came up with. It appears my recollection was erroneous (Sorry:smallfrown:) as the rules regarding poisons do not extend to disease or other afflictions.

In the example given in the original question, when you are exposed to infection you roll to save. If you are so unlucky that you contract the disease, you do not need to try and save against contracting it again, as you already have it. If you have a cold, you have a cold. You cannot logically have it twice at the same time.

Now, in all fairness RAW does not explicitly state whether or not you can contract the same bug more than once at the same time. However, while it might make sense to vary the initial saving throw according to levels of exposure it makes no sense that the disease should be more violent because of this.

So basically Yora is right. In the case of the common cold, once you've caught it your body builds immunity to that specific bug, so you cannot be afflicted by it more than once.

Keneth
2011-11-22, 04:26 AM
A134 Crafters don't halve any price. When crafting an item, the crafter must pay one third of the total price. So to craft an adamantine longsword, you would pay 1005gp for raw materials and barring any failed checks, that's all. If you wanted to buy the weapon at a merchant, it would generally cost 3015gp.

A135 A summoned eidolon would register with an aura equal to the summoner's caster level. There is no spell level since it's not a spell nor a spell-like ability (although if you ever needed such a thing I'd say it would be equivalent to the highest level spell the summoner can cast, but that's not RAW, so...).

Larpus
2011-11-22, 08:26 AM
Q136
Exactly what is the relationship between different attack types and different DRs?

Can the DR only be beaten by the needed descriptor?

As in, a creature with DR/Cold Iron will receive reduced damage from all sources except for Cold Iron weapons?

What if it's DR/Good? Only Good attacks can bypass it? Not even magic?

And attacking a creature with DR/- with a +1 weapon? Full damage or only the +1 bypasses the DR?

EDIT: Btw, sorry if this was already asked, I can't remember and the search is being a brat.

powerdemon
2011-11-22, 09:44 AM
A136
The item after the "/" is what bypasses the DR.

In the case of DR/- NOTHING bypasses it.

Keep in mind DR only applies to physical damage such as from weapons. Elemental and magic damage ignores DR.

CommodoreCrunch
2011-11-22, 09:47 AM
A136

Can the DR only be beaten by the needed descriptor? In most cases, yes. A +3 weapon can overcome cold iron and silver DR, a +4 adamantine and a +5 alignment-based DR.

As in, a creature with DR/Cold Iron will receive reduced damage from all sources except for Cold Iron weapons? That is correct, barring the aforementioned exception.

What if it's DR/Good? Only Good attacks can bypass it? Not even magic? Attacks from a weapon with the Good enhancement will bypass it. Spells and spell-like abilities ignore DR.

And attacking a creature with DR/- with a +1 weapon? Full damage or only the +1 bypasses the DR? DR X/- represents DR that is effective against all attacks that do not explicitly ignore DR. The +1 doesn't factor into it all, it just represents a slightly higher chance of dealing actual damage. If you attack something that has DR 3/- with a dagger and a +2 Str mod, but roll a 1 on damage, your total damage is 3 and is negated. If that were a +1 dagger instead, your damage would be 4. 3 would be negated, but 1 would successfully get through.
Similarly, if you had DR 5/- and were attacked by someone with a +1 dagger and a Srt mod of +0, you could stand there all day and not feel a thing, as the weapon's maximum damage in that case would be 5, and would be negated by your DR with each attack

Source (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Damage-Reduction).

Keneth
2011-11-22, 11:43 AM
Attacks from a weapon with the Good enhancement will bypass it. Spells and spell-like abilities ignore DR. A136+ It's also worth noting that any creature with the Good subtype counts as if its weapons were good-aligned (same with other subtypes) as well as that any energy attacks will bypass damage reduction (so a flaming sword still deals 1d6 fire damage).

n00b killa
2011-11-24, 08:55 AM
Q 137

Hi everyone!

Will Dimensional Agility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-agility) allow me to take the rest of my actions if I use the Teleport subschool's 1st level ability? (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/conjuration/teleportation)

You are "using" Dimensional Door, after all... thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Keneth
2011-11-24, 09:07 AM
A137 By RAW, no. But since the ability is close enough to dimension door, the DM might allow it anyway. It only takes a swift action though, so it might affect game balance.

Keneth
2011-11-28, 09:50 AM
Q138 When smiting, the first successful attack deals 2 points of damage per level (instead of 1). Is this the first successful attack since activating the ability or the first successful attack in an attack action?

Yora
2011-11-28, 10:21 AM
A138: Since smite has effectively an unlimited duration and it doesn't say "each round" or "in a full attack", it seems that it applies to the very first hit the paladin makes after activating the Smite.

deuxhero
2011-11-28, 11:04 PM
q139

Amateur Gunslinger mentions deeds gained through items. A quick (emphasis) check of the items section of the SRD fails to produce any. Are there items that grant deeds or is this a "just in case" provision?

Q140

Does the old IF loophole of "anything is an improvised melee weapon" from 3.5 let a Magus use Spell Combat with a pistol (as it only requires a melee weapon, not melee attacks)?

Larpus
2011-11-29, 07:31 AM
q139

Amateur Gunslinger mentions deeds gained through items. A quick (emphasis) check of the items section of the SRD fails to produce any. Are there items that grant deeds or is this a "just in case" provision?

Q140

Does the old IF focus loophole of "anything is an improvised melee weapon" from 3.5 let a Magus use Spell Combat with a pistol (as it only requires a melee weapon, not melee attacks)?
A139
I'm no Gunslinger expert, but it seems like a "just in case" as well as friendly reminder for DMs making custom items.

A140
While I couldn't find anything that supports it, I couldn't find anything that goes against it either, so I'd say that there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it while spanking people with your gun.

Funny to notice that Magi can't do that while unarmed, even if they have IUA or claws.

The Glyphstone
2011-12-02, 11:38 PM
Q141:

The text of a tower shield reads:

Benefit: In most situations, a tower shield provides the indicated shield bonus to your Armor Class. As a standard action, however, you can use a tower shield to grant you total cover until the beginning of your next turn. When using a tower shield in this way, you must choose one edge of your space. That edge is treated as a solid wall for attacks targeting you only. You gain total cover for attacks that pass through this edge and no cover for attacks that do not pass through this edge (see Combat). The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.

Now - it's not specified what situations a tower shield does not grant its AC bonus. It is implied that when you use the 'Total Cover' function, you lose that AC bonus, but is that an incorrect reading?

Keneth
2011-12-03, 05:10 AM
A141 Yes, you can either use it as a shield or as a cover.

Lord Bingo
2011-12-03, 02:34 PM
A141+

The text strongly implies that you cannot receive a shield bonus to your AC on the same turn that you use the tower shield for full cover. To be clear, The Glyphstone's initial reading of the paragraph is not incorrect!

Think about it: once you have effectively converted your shield into a wall, you cannot move it about to deflect incoming attacks.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-04, 01:44 PM
Q142
Does Spell Focus add to the DC of Spell-Like abilities?

Yora
2011-12-04, 01:59 PM
A142: No, because spell-like abilities are not spells.

I've been looking for something that could be used as proof that this is indeed the case, but all I got right now is this line from a quite different context:
"Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled."
But this should prove that spell-like abilities are not spells, but an entirely different type of ability that is not interchangeable with spells. There's probably a more direct line about that hidden somewhere in the rules. But the description for spell-like abilities is always explicit about creatures using "spell-like" abilities and never refering to the casting of them as "spells".

Edit: Here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9ofk)'s a direct quote from the developers, why it's "No."

Ravens_cry
2011-12-04, 03:12 PM
Q142b
While spell-like abilities do not have slots, they are still part of the same school of magic as the spell they are, well, like.
So the answer may not apply.

Zherog
2011-12-04, 06:36 PM
A 142b

The answer is still no.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability is based on would be subject to spell resistance.

(emphasis mine)

Spell Focus

Choose a school of magic. Any spells you cast of that school are more difficult to resist.

Benefit: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new school of magic.

(emphasis mine)

Spell Focus adds one to the saving throw against spells. Spell-like abilities, by their definition in the UMR, are not spells.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-04, 09:36 PM
Q142b:Epilogue
Thanks for the clarification.

JoeYounger
2011-12-05, 12:53 PM
Q: 143 When my crafter is making wonderous items, what kind of raw materials do I need? My DM asked me, and I had no idea. I just assumed I turned gold into magic items, and I cannot find anywhere in the books that clarifies this process.

I keep my workshop in a portable hole, so I can craft anywhere, will I need to go back to town to get materials? Or is there anyway to convert my gold to supplies without going to town?

CommodoreCrunch
2011-12-05, 09:11 PM
A143: To the absolute best of my knowledge (because I once scoured many 3.P books for this myself) The raw materials required aren't specified. What they actually are is just a matter of fluff and is up to you and the DM. They could include a bunch of witch-y, "eye of newt" type materials if you want but just remember, logic dictates that the raw materials should include the materials that make up the physical (not magical) structure of the item. So if you're creating a necklace, you'll want some metal, jewels, etc. Again, pure fluff. If you and your DM want to assume that you transmute money into magic items, good for you.

As for portability, generally, you buy unspecified raw materials equal to half the desired item's cost while you're in town and can carry them (within reason and at the DM's discretion) around while you work on the item. In your case, you could store them with the rest of your crafting stuff in your portable hole. So yes; if you buy the materials in town and/or find them, etc and keep them with you, you can craft on the go.

But as I said, I've never found a concrete source for this. So I could be wrong, and in that case I welcome being proved such.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-08, 03:13 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/200whs1.jpg
Q144: Are there any limitations as to the number of templates one can add to a Corpse Companion?

urbanwolf
2011-12-08, 03:36 AM
Q:145

If a halfling Paladin of at least 3rd level with the feat lucky halfing made a save vs fear for an ally would, would he get the +2 racial bonus and the +4 moral bonus from Aura of courage on the saving throw?

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-08, 03:45 AM
A145:

Once per day, when one of your allies within 30 feet makes a saving throw, you may roll the same saving throw as if you were the one subject to the effect requiring it.
Emphasis is mine.
By wording, I believe that your paladin is now considered the target of the fear effect and, due to being immune to it, would not be required to make a roll.

Keneth
2011-12-08, 06:51 AM
A144 I cannot see any indication that you would be allowed to give your corpse companion any templates at all. Although I suppose that any acquired templates that affect undead could be applied to a corpse companion when/if the situation arises (up to your GM) and there's generally no limit to how many templates a creature can have.

A145 Your aura of courage gives you immunity to fear (no bonus to rolls). This situation is rather unique but I'd generally have to agree with Azazer that, since you're immune, you don't have to roll. There are 3 possible solutions to this however; with the suggested one, you would grant your ally immunity for that one save but your GM may also rule that you either a) can't use this ability for this purpose since it explicitly says "as if you were affected" and your immunity means you cannot be affected or b) even though you don't have to roll a save, you can still choose to if you wish to use the ability, in which case you only get a +2 bonus from racial.

Strormer
2011-12-08, 12:02 PM
I'm only just starting PF and I have what I think is a dumb question. I've looked through the PF Core Rulebook and the 3.5 to PF conversion guide and I didn't see my answer, though I might have missed it.

Q146: Does Pathfinder use level adjustment for powerful races?

Thanks in advance.

von Tortrix
2011-12-08, 12:46 PM
Q. 147

I hope this hasn't been asked already in the thread.
How many skill ranks per HD do animal comanions get?
I know their max rank is equal to their HD.

Thanks

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-08, 01:01 PM
Q144A: The reason I'm asking is because of this part...

She can use this ability to create a variant skeleton such as a bloody or burning skeleton, but its Hit Dice cannot exceed half her cleric level.

A146: By RAW, it does not...(?)

Level adjustments and ECLs are not a part of the Pathfinder game. Your GM has the say in what races are available for use as PCs; we presented two versions of the drow so that a GM could allow the less powerful one if he wanted. Appendix 4 of the Bestiary and Chapter 12 of the Pathfinder Core RPG give a few more guidelines on playing non-core races.

Source (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/drowLevelAdjustments)

A147:
Animals get skill points equal to 2 + Int modifier per hit die with a minimum one point (before favored class modifiers).

Yora
A146: No, it doesn't. The recommended procedure to play other races is to treat the creatures CR as a character of the same level. So an ogre without any levels would be a 3rd level character and an ogre with one level in a class would be a 4th level character. But since some abilities are a lot more or less useful in the hands of player characters, GMs should check if the level of the creature should be a bit higher or lower than the CR to make it comparable to the other characters in the group.

von Tortrix
Q 148

If a target has fallen 'prone' are they denied their Dex to CMD?

Yora
2011-12-08, 01:03 PM
A148: No. A prone attacker has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A prone defender gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks. That's all.

Keneth
2011-12-08, 05:20 PM
A147 The exact number of skill points for an animal companion is given in the Skills column of the animal companion base statistics table.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions

Q144A: The reason I'm asking is because of this part... Those are skeleton variants. Or in other words, skeleton is a template in and of itself, you can use a creature with the skeleton template for your companion but the ability also allows you to use one of the other skeleton templates instead of the base. You're not adding an extra template, you only get one and at a huge penalty if you choose a variant.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-08, 05:36 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/200whs1.jpg
I think I may have found what I was looking for in the Variant Skeletons description on the Paizo SRD...

Each of the following skeleton types modifies the base skeleton in a few key ways. Except as noted, these variations can be stacked with one another—it's possible to have a bloody burning skeletal champion.

Keneth
2011-12-09, 05:05 AM
They can be stacked like all templates can, but the ability still grants you only one variant. You can't take a bloody burning acid skeleton for a corpse companion unless your DM specifically lets you, or maybe if you halve the HD for each variant. :smallsmile:

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-09, 05:19 AM
I'm afraid that explanation doesn't make sense though...since there is no language containing "one variant" beyond the amount of Corpse Companions you can legally obtain at a given time.

Keneth
2011-12-09, 06:02 AM
That depends entirely on what you consider "a variant skeleton". If combining the templates creates a completely separate variant, then it's viable, if not, then it isn't since the rules make no mention of the ability to combine variants. In cases like these, the GM always has the last word.

The Witch-King
2011-12-09, 07:40 AM
Q149: Is there any rule stating that Followers gained from Leadership must be members of an NPC class or can they be from any class?

Q150: Can templates be applied to Cohorts or Followers? If a player has access to 3rd level followers can he instead get 1st level followers with a +2 CR template?

Thanks!

Yora
2011-12-09, 07:49 AM
A149: No, such a rule existed in 3.0, but has long been discontinued since.

A150: I don't see any reason why not. Apply the same rules to followers and cohort as you would for PCs to determine their Effective Character Level.

The Witch-King
2011-12-09, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

deuxhero
2011-12-10, 03:28 PM
q151

Can Amateur Gunslinger pull deeds from Gunslinger archetypes?

Krazzman
2011-12-11, 03:56 PM
Q152:

This came up while talking with our normal DM about another group he dms:

Do spears (longspear) do double damage ON a charge? Because the special ability brace only applies against a charge.

(Background: halfling character in his group wanted a spear that can be screwed together to better put it away like a 3-part staff only in spear and thinks he does deal double damage and is backed up by the other players...)

Q153:

Does an elven wizard can maintain the ability to regain spells while only meditating 2 hours, and spending the next 6 hours with watchtime?

Q154:

Are there exact rules on what happens if you have a negative bonus in a Mental stat?
(like for int 8 that you can't really speak fluently or with wis 7 are more likely to forget things/be naive?)

Yora
2011-12-11, 04:06 PM
A152: No, the brace ability is very clear to work only when readying an action against a charging opponent. You deal double damage with a lange when making a charge while riding a mount, but that's an entirely different trait of a different weapon.

A153: He does regain spells, but only if he doesn't do anything that requires an action during those six hours. But if they get attacked by something, his sleep would get intereupted anyway, so it doesn't matter much.
However, the Core Rulebook doesn't mention elves not needing sleep at all, and in Elves of Golarion it's stated to take 4 hours.

A154: No.

Krazzman
2011-12-11, 04:41 PM
152: I hoped so, was quite shocked when he told me that. (was just to be sure)
QA153: What action? Is standing guard an action?
154: That sucks...

Thanks again Yora.

Roto
2011-12-11, 05:10 PM
Q155: Can a cleric choose both a domain AND one of it's sub domains as its 2 domains?

Stone Heart
2011-12-11, 05:17 PM
Q155: Can a cleric choose both a domain AND one of it's sub domains as its 2 domains?
A155: I am fairly certain you can't as the subdomain is still the same domain, just replacing parts of it. It seems to me like an archetype, which replaces class features, but you are still a Cleric or a fighter, just a Crusader or an Archer.

Yora
2011-12-11, 05:20 PM
A153, #2:
To prepare his daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but he must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If his rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time he has to rest in order to clear his mind, and he must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing his spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, he still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
I assume that "movements" reffers to walk longer distances that would take him outsite the immediate camp site. Getting up to get another blanket probably shouldn't count, even though it probably involves at least 5 feet of movement. Thought the rules as written don't say anything about that.

A155: No.
If a cleric selects a subdomain, she cannot select its Associated Domain as her other domain choice (in effect, the subdomain replaces its Associated Domain).

Krazzman
2011-12-13, 05:55 AM
Q156:
Can an Elemental Bloodline Sorcerer of the Air Element change the element of a spell with force descriptor? If yes, could a mage armor turn into an Electric Mage Armor?

Yora
2011-12-13, 06:33 AM
A156: Force is a type of energy so you could make electric magic missiles. However, the conversion works only with spells that deal energy damage, which mage armor doesn't.

Yora
2011-12-13, 01:24 PM
Q157: Are there any restrictions regarding diseases affecting outsiders? Daemons are the only one who have special immunite against disease mentioned, while immunity or resistance against poison is very common, amd even elementals lack such a thing and they are immune against pretty much everything.
Having an avoral sick of malaria seems a rather odd image to me.

Zherog
2011-12-13, 01:55 PM
A 157

I don't see anything anywhere that would make outsiders immune to disease.

Blisstake
2011-12-13, 02:37 PM
Q157: Are there any restrictions regarding diseases affecting outsiders? Daemons are the only one who have special immunite against disease mentioned, while immunity or resistance against poison is very common, amd even elementals lack such a thing and they are immune against pretty much everything.
Having an avoral sick of malaria seems a rather odd image to me.

A157

If Daemons have to specify they are immune to diseases, then it is in all likelyhood not a universal outsider trait. This is further enforced by the fact that disease immunity is not found in the outsider entry. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Outsider)

Yora
2011-12-13, 03:42 PM
Q158: Regeneration says "A creature with this ability is difficult to kill. creatures with regeneration heal damage at a fixed rate, as with fast healing, but they cannot die as long as their regeneration is still functioning (although creatures with regeneration still fall unconscious when their hit points are below 0). Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, cause a creature’s regeneration to stop functioning on the round following the attack. During this round, the creature does not heal any damage and can die normally."
Does this mean that once I have a creature with regeneration in negative hit points, I have to deal a single point of acid or fire damage to kill it? It's still useful as it has fast healing, but weaker because it can be turned of by fire and acid damage.

And what does "On the round following the attack mean"? Does it mean the creature does not regain hit points at the beginning of its next turn? That appears the most logic way to do it.

Mando Knight
2011-12-13, 03:46 PM
A 158 (maybe?)

A round generally means one round... so until the attacker's next turn. Effectively, the regeneration is suppressed for the creature's next turn after the attack.

You will need to deal at least one point of fire or acid damage to fully kill the creature, though keeping them unconscious via an ungodly number of negative HP will usually give you enough time to get such a source.

Roto
2011-12-13, 09:32 PM
Q159:

Do the bonuses to Stealth from Armor of Shadow and Cloak of Elvenkind stack?

Stone Heart
2011-12-13, 09:37 PM
A159No they both are competence bonuses which do not stack.

RndmNumGen
2011-12-14, 01:17 PM
A151:

No.

You gain a small amount of grit, and the ability to perform a single 1st-level deed from the gunslinger class feature of the same name. At the start of the day, you gain 1 grit point, though throughout the day you can gain grit points up to a maximum of your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). You can regain grit using the rules for the grit gunslinger class feature. You can spend this grit to perform the 1st-level deed you chose and any other deed you gain through feats or magic items.

Each alternate class feature [from an archtype] replaces a specific class feature from its parent class. For example, the elemental fist class feature of the monk of the four winds replaces the stunning fist class feature of the monk.

Since the Archtype's deeds replace the Gunslinger's class feature, you can't take a deed from an archtype(at that point, it's not longer the Gunslinger's class feature, it's the Mysterious Stranger/Musket Master/Gun Tank's class feature instead).

Keneth
2011-12-15, 07:23 AM
Q160 As far as I can tell, outsiders don't age. How about native outsiders like tieflings or aasimars? Since they're born and grow up, do they also grow old? Or do they stop aging once they mature?

Yora
2011-12-15, 07:59 AM
A160: Actually, it's nowhere stated that outsider do not age. Nor is that stated about any creature that is not a standard PC race.
However, in D&D, from which aasimar and others are directly copied, Races of Faerûn states the age categories of aasimar, tieflings, and genasi are identical to those of humans.

Keneth
2011-12-15, 09:25 AM
Q160+ You're right, RAW doesn't mention anything about outsiders not aging as far as I can tell although the fluff in splatbooks uses the word immortal freely when referring to creatures such as devils or celestials, I just extrapolated from there.

Still, I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something. We intentionally don't use any 3.5 material, so it's gonna be up to the DM until Paizo publishes an actual answer.

Blisstake
2011-12-15, 07:21 PM
Q160+ You're right, RAW doesn't mention anything about outsiders not aging as far as I can tell although the fluff in splatbooks uses the word immortal freely when referring to creatures such as devils or celestials, I just extrapolated from there.

Still, I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something. We intentionally don't use any 3.5 material, so it's gonna be up to the DM until Paizo publishes an actual answer.

Well, I don't believe there's an official RAW ruling for that, but the Campaign Setting books make several references to outsiders being immortal in the Golarion Setting. It's likely dependent on the campaign setting you're in.

panaikhan
2011-12-16, 08:17 AM
Q161 Does a rider on a mount attract attacks of opportunity from opponents adjacent to the mount?
Specifically, a small rider on a large mount.

Yora
2011-12-16, 10:35 AM
Q162: Is this a typo in the SRD or am I missing something about CMD?

A hippogriff has Str 15, Dex 15, and is large size.
The BAB is +3, so with +2 from Str and +1 from size CMB is +6
But CMD is listed as 19. By adding +2 for Dex, shouldn't it be 18?

Zherog
2011-12-16, 10:46 AM
A 162

The hippogriff has Dodge, which adds a +1 bonus to AC and CMD. The 19 is correct.

Keneth
2011-12-16, 01:54 PM
A161 I don't think that this is clearly defined in Pathfinder. As a general rule -- yes, you provoke attacks of opportunity when riding a mount as normal but there are two questions to which I think there's no answer in the written PF rules yet.

1) How does this scale up? If you're tiny and riding a huge mount, do medium-sized creatures still get to make AoOs against you? It's hard to write a rule that would fit every situation so this may have been intentionally left up to the GM's discretion.

2) Do you and your mount each provoke an AoO or does the attacker have to choose which one to attack? Skip gave an answer for this in Rules of the Game for 3.5 but there's nothing I can find in PF about this.

fencepainter
2011-12-16, 09:19 PM
Q163: Could I make a double valorous weapon (that is apply valorous to a weapon twice) that would give twice the bonus? Or will that item enhancement not stack?

Keneth
2011-12-17, 05:09 AM
A163 As far as I know, there is no valorous weapon enhancement in PF but I think what you're looking for is this.

Weapons cannot possess the same special ability more than once.

deuxhero
2011-12-17, 03:03 PM
Q164
Do masterwork (which removes the fragile quality) bronze items have no difference from masterwork steel (aside from what you can make out of them)?

Q165
Am I correct that Bronze does not count as a "rare metal" for alchemical silver?

Yora
2011-12-17, 03:09 PM
A164: Masterwork bronze and masterwork steel weapons seem to be completely identical.
Bronze adds the fragile trait, which the masterwork component explicitly removes.

Yora
2011-12-17, 07:18 PM
Q166: Does this work?

This is from the magic item creation rules:

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion items without meeting its prerequisites.
Using items to provide spells not known to the caster is mentioned before the rule that you can increase the DC by 5 for every prerequsite not met. And if you would get the increase, you wouldn't need the item at all. So using an item to provide the neccessary spells is not "not meeting its prerequisites", or more plainly, it means the prerequisites are met.

So to create for example a wand of daylight, could I create a command word item that casts daylight and use it to fulfill all prerequisites to cast the wand without knowing the spell? This significantly prolongs the crafting time and the cost in materials (by about 50% in this case, if you make 4 wands), so it's not making the rule that you need to know a spell to create a spell-trigger item completely redundant.

Or am I missing something, that you can't use spells from an item to create spell-trigger items?

Keneth
2011-12-18, 07:11 AM
A166 Yes, you can make a command word item without knowing the spell and then use that item to create a spell trigger item. It's gonna cost you more than buying the item normally though, unless you plan on crafting several of them or if they're not available on the market.

Yora
2011-12-18, 10:15 AM
Q167: Can a Rogue take "Extra Rogue Talent" as a feat at 1st level, even though he gets his first Rogue Talent at 2nd level?

CTrees
2011-12-18, 10:16 AM
Q168: Alice and Bob are standing 70ft away from each other, in an area of dim light, with no obstructions blocking their vision. Both have darkvision. Bob casts Darkness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/darkness), centered on himself (let's say, on his hat). Can Alice See Bob? Can Bob see Alice?

Zherog
2011-12-18, 10:23 AM
A 167

No. The pre-req of the feat is "Rogue talent class feature." At first level, a rogue does not meet this pre-req.

Yora
2011-12-18, 10:30 AM
A168: Alice can't see Bob normally, since her Darkvision only has a range of 60 ft. and Bob is Standing in Darkness 70 ft. away. However, she might still be able to see him if the reduced lighting is still bright enough to see, though with penalties for concealment.

The darkness spell does not create a kind of fog or something like that, but only reduces illumination in the affected area. It is not described as blocking light from entering the area, so apparently you can see outside of a darkness spell area just fine.

Keegan__D
2011-12-18, 12:15 PM
Q169: Derp, wrong thread

Zherog
2011-12-18, 12:39 PM
A 169

I have a hunch you posted in this thread by accident, as (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) war hulk doesn't exist in Pathfinder.

RndmNumGen
2011-12-18, 03:45 PM
Q164
Do masterwork (which removes the fragile quality) bronze items have no difference from masterwork steel (aside from what you can make out of them)?

Q165
Am I correct that Bronze does not count as a "rare metal" for alchemical silver?

A 164: Bronze items have 9 hardness instead of iron's 10, but aside from that a masterwork bronze item is functionally identical to an iron one.

EDIT:
A 165: Bronze is not a rare metal, so you can apply alchemical silver to it. This would further reduce it's hardness.

urbanwolf
2011-12-19, 05:24 PM
Q 170

What CR would A younger (-1) half-dragon(+2) Kobold (1/4) be?

I have it being 1/2 for 1 Level of NPC and 1 for one level of PC

Never mind I just saw that Half-dragon has a min CR of 3 so I guess both would be CR 2 because of younger being a -1

Reg06
2011-12-19, 07:44 PM
Q 171

If a PC starts with 7 INT, do they suffer the -2 penalty to their number of starting skill ranks? And for each level thereafter?

Yora
2011-12-20, 07:02 AM
A171: Yes, but you always get at least 1 skill rank for each level.

Keneth
2011-12-20, 07:16 AM
A171+ You can also get 1 skill point from your favored class for a minimum of 2 per level if you needed to.

RndmNumGen
2011-12-20, 01:33 PM
A171++: And if you're a Human you get an extra skill point, for a possible 3 skill points per level. Lends some plausibility to the whole 'idiot savant' concept...

Yora
2011-12-20, 05:41 PM
Q172: Where is it stated that bonus skill ranks from race are added after the skill ranks per level have been set to a minimum of 1?

Lord Bingo
2011-12-20, 05:55 PM
A172 It is not.

The number of ranks a character can have in a skill cannot exceed that characters level. The bonus to skills that you get from certain races is a misc. modifier which is added to you skill check.

Zherog
2011-12-20, 09:33 PM
A 172 add'l

I think Yora's talking about, for example, the bonus skill point a human gets at each level. The previous answer by RndmNumGen said to add the human bonus point after the reduction from the Int penalty, and Yora is asking for a source for that. I think.

El Dorado
2011-12-21, 12:31 AM
A 172 Clarification

A human's bonus skill point is included in the initial calculation of the number of skill ranks.

Generating a Character

Step 4—Pick Skills and Select Feats: Determine the number of skill ranks possessed by your character, based on his class and Intelligence modifier (and any other bonuses, such as the bonus received by humans).

Note that in this step of character generation, it is possible to have zero skill points. However, the entry for Intelligence provides the caveat that a character will get at least 1 skill point (even if the penalty would have otherwise left him with zero points).

Intelligence (Int)

You apply your character's Intelligence modifier to:

The number of skill points gained each level, though your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.

Haron
2011-12-21, 06:52 AM
Q173
If i'm standing in an obscuring mist, right at the edge of it but still inside, i do get concealment against a creature standing next to me(even if outside of the mist) if i understand the spell correctly.
But do i have total concealment against anyone standing further than 5ft away?
And does a creature outside of the mist have concealment against me?

Keneth
2011-12-21, 08:11 AM
A173

If you're at the edge of obscuring mist and a creature is standing outside the range of the mist, then both you and the creature have concealment against each other, regardless of the distance between the two of you because there is only 5 feet of mist in between. If you're standing 5 feet further inside the mist, then both you and the creature standing outside have total concealment against each other. When you're not sure, just consider how much mist is between the two points, 5 feet is concealment, 10 feet is total concealment, spaces without the mist have no effect on the calculations.

RndmNumGen
2011-12-21, 01:03 PM
Hmm... I guess I had the order wrong on how skill points were calculated. My bad.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-12-22, 06:05 PM
Q 174

The Empyreal knight paladin Archetype gains the ability to cast Summon Monster, albeit with some restrictions to available choices, as a spell-like ability. However, the description makes no reference to caster level. Would I be right to assume that, if nothing is written to the contrary, caster level and class level for spell-like abilities is the same?

Keneth
2011-12-22, 06:18 PM
A174 As far as SLAs are concerned.

If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.

That said, I think that SLAs gained from class abilities use class level as effective caster level but I can't find this specific rule in PF. It is the most logical however.

Chained Birds
2011-12-24, 09:41 AM
Q175

The Chirurgeon Archetype for Alchemist says:

From the SRD
Infused Curative

At 2nd level, a chirurgeon’s extracts of cure spells automatically act as infusions, and can be used by non-alchemists. When a chirurgeon prepares his extracts, he may choose to render any or all of his infused curatives inert and prepare other extracts to replace them (unlike infusions, which continue to occupy the alchemist’s daily extract slots until consumed or used).

So, can I make all of my extracts curative extracts and then make them inert to make new extracts which will be used throughout the day? And if I did that, could I also use those many curative extracts throughout the day? Or does making the curative extract active count to my daily allotment of extracts and causes me to remove one of my non-curative extracts to replace it like a cleric's spontaneous curing thing?

RndmNumGen
2011-12-25, 01:00 PM
A175?:

An alchemist can create only a certain number of extracts of each level per day. [...] An extract, once created, remains potent for 1 day before becoming inert, so an alchemist must re-prepare his extracts every day. Mixing an extract takes 1 minute of work—most alchemists prepare many extracts at the start of the day or just before going on an adventure, but it’s not uncommon for an alchemist to keep some (or even all) of his daily extract slots open so that he can prepare extracts in the field as needed.]

When the alchemist creates an extract, he can infuse it with an extra bit of his own magical power. The extract created now persists even after the alchemist sets it down. As long as the extract exists, it continues to occupy one of the alchemist’s daily extract slots. An infused extract can be imbibed by a non-alchemist to gain its effects.

All I've been able to find on the subject is this. I would lean towards not being able to regain extract slots, but I'm not sure.

Keneth
2011-12-25, 05:35 PM
A175 You can't reactivate a curative once it's been rendered inert, there is no provision in the rules for that. This rule allows you to create curatives at the start of day but later replace them for other extracts as needed by making them inert instead of using them (and thus not using up any of your essence). In a way it's kind of like a reverse spontaneous casting, yes.

Chained Birds
2011-12-25, 07:36 PM
A175 You can't reactivate a curative once it's been rendered inert, there is no provision in the rules for that. This rule allows you to create curatives at the start of day but later replace them for other extracts as needed by making them inert instead of using them (and thus not using up any of your essence). In a way it's kind of like a reverse spontaneous casting, yes.

The wording was very strange so thank you for clarifying it for me. The way my friend and I read it, it made us think you get double the extracts (half being curative ones); but that sounded kinda munchikiny...:smalltongue:

Keneth
2011-12-26, 07:17 AM
The whole thing is very poorly worded, yes. I spent an afternoon trying to figure out what the hell the meaning and intent were when I first got UM. While there may be other interpretations, me and several other GMs came to the consensus that this is the most logical one and likely RAI.

Zeikstraal
2011-12-28, 08:42 AM
Goodday,

I'm having a little discussion with someone in my party. He wants to play a Rogue Archer, and says that ALL his attacks in 30ft are counted as sneak attack, even when the target hasn't lost his dexterity.

I say it's bull**** and the target must be denied his dexterity bonus and you must stand within 30ft to get sneak attack.
Cause to me it says that there are too ways to get it. Trhough denying his dex or flanking, and an archer can't flank.

Can someone tell me who's wrong or right?

Zherog
2011-12-28, 10:30 AM
A 176 (please number your questions)

In order to be a valid target for sneak attack, the target must either be flanked or somehow denied Dex to AC. Catching the target flat-footed is probably the most common way to deny Dex, but isn't the only way.

In addition to those requirements, a ranged attack can come from no further than 30 feet away.

My hunch is that your friend is being intentionally obtuse when reading the last sentence of this paragraph:

The rogue's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

However, that last sentence doesn't negate any of the conditions applied earlier in the paragraph; it simply adds an additional one to ranged attacks.

sreservoir
2011-12-28, 09:14 PM
Q 177

Can a creature forego its immunity to an effect and be affected by it anyway?

Cieyrin
2011-12-28, 09:51 PM
Q178. Can the Evil Eye Hex be applied to a creature multiple times if each is penalizing different things; i.e., if I Evil Eye'd saves and then AC?

Q179. Would Accursed Hex allow the Healing Hexes to apply to a creature more than once per day?

Keneth
2011-12-29, 07:20 AM
A177 No, unless specifically stated in the rules block, immunity cannot be turned off willingly.

A178 Yes, it says so right next to the ability description in the SRD.

A179 If the creature succeeds on a saving throw against it, then yes.

Yora
2011-12-30, 08:38 AM
Q180: Magic Item Creation says, that you can not create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completition items without meeting all the prerequisites. However, potions are "single use, use-activated" items. Could you instead make for example a single use, use-activated gemstone that casts a cure light wounds spell on any person who crushes it in his hand?
Creation cost would be the same as for a potion of cure light wounds, with the only difference that you would use Craft Wondrous Item instead of Brew Potion. And you would not need to know the spell.

Doesn't that make the Brew Potion feat redundant? Every single potion could instead be made as a Wondrous Item. You could even make a salve of cure light wounds. Slap it on someone else, who could even be unconscious, and he gains the benefit of the spell.

Is that the case or did I miss something important.

El Dorado
2011-12-30, 02:23 PM
A 181

There is nothing in RAW that would prevent you from using Craft Wondrous Item as you described. Brew Potion has a small advantage for reduced creation time (2 hours if the potion is 250 gp or less) so you have more of your day left after the item is crafted. It's worth noting that there is some crossover between the two feats. Craft Wondrous Item is the requisite feat for some elixirs (ostensibly because the items in question require higher than 3rd level spells).

Bhaakon
2011-12-30, 08:08 PM
A 181 additional

I don't see why you couldn't do that, but potions have the upside of being useable by any character without identification, while, by RAW, anyone attempting to use the wondrous item would have to know (or at least have a good idea of) its function first (not a problem if you're crafting it yourself, obviously).

sreservoir
2011-12-30, 09:31 PM
Q 182

Is it stated anywhere that the DC 15 use of Knowledge (history) cannot be used to determine the approximate date of a specific future event?

El Dorado
2011-12-30, 09:50 PM
A 183

Yes. The dictionary. History is the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

Yora
2011-12-31, 06:08 AM
@183: I think Knowledge (local) seems to be the more appropriate skill to interprete the current situation and developments in a given region. But I would allow a +2 circumstance bonus to such Knowledge (local) checks if you have 5 or 10 ranks in Knowledge (history).

CTrees
2011-12-31, 09:08 AM
A 183

Yes. The dictionary. History is the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

No. The dictionary, in large part, is not RAW (see: discussions of why purely mental actions may be taken while dead). Further, look at the text of the three stated Knowledge (history) checks:

-Know recent or historically significant event
-Determine approximate date of a specific event
-Know obscure or ancient historical event

The first and third use the term historical/historically. It would have been a simple matter for the second use to be written "Determine the approximate date of a specific historical event." As it was not, and there has not been errata to that effect (despite other errata being issued for the skills section), one cannot assume that, RAW, the second listed use of Know(history) only works for events in the past.

However, common sense, obvious RAI, and the Core Rulebooks which would be flung at your head would all indicate that no, one should not attempt to use Knowledge (history) to divine the future.

Bhaakon
2011-12-31, 04:56 PM
one cannot assume that, RAW, the second listed use of Know(history) only works for events in the past.

-Determine approximate date of a specific event

I think it's pretty obvious in the RAW reading that you have to know of the specific event before attempting to determine it's date, which necessitates that either 1) your character knows the future and said events are immutable enough to make the prediction, or the the ever so much more likely 2) the event occurred in the past.

sreservoir
2012-01-01, 08:49 PM
Q 184

Council of Thieves, part 3: What Lies in Dust; page 58, Osirian Spirit Jars.

Is the cost listed for a single jar, or for a set of three jars?

ed: if we take the description of Ring Gates as precedent, the listing is for a set of three, which I suppose makes sense, seeing as the jars are magically connected? is this assumption correct?