PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Craft Points Use?

Krazzman
2011-09-06, 12:41 PM
Hi again,

based on the encouragin Speech of Zherog:

It's a great topic (in my opinion) and I'd encourage you to start a thread on it.

another Question. I'm thinking of playing/play with an Artificer in a Pathfinder Campaign (Eberron Setting). The problem:

Craft Reserve: An artificer recieves a pool of points he can spend instead of experience points when crafting a magic item. Each time the artificer gains a new level, he receives a new craft reserve; leftover points from the previous level do not carry over. If hte points are not spent, they are lost. An artificer can also use his craft reserve to supplement the XP cost of the item from his craft reserve and a portion from his own XP.

And the afaik "loss" of XP-cost in Pathfinder Item Creation...how can it be used? Should I convince my DM to homebrew something? Is there maybe a Homebrewed Conversion on the Artificer?

Have a nice Day
Krazzman

BlueInc
2011-09-06, 01:20 PM
And the afaik "loss" of XP-cost in Pathfinder Item Creation...how can it be used? Should I convince my DM to homebrew something? Is there maybe a Homebrewed Conversion on the Artificer?

Have a nice Day
Krazzman

In Pathfinder, experience costs weren't "lost" iirc, they were added as an increased gold tag. Your DM could approve using the Craft Points to lower the cost of items you create.

Zherog
2011-09-06, 01:33 PM
Pretty sure the gold costs are the same. What pathfinder did add was a skill check (usually Spellcraft, but sometimes something else) that must be made after the crafting is complete. The DC is 5 plus the caster level of the item, so it's not a terribly difficult check all things considered. The only time it's not an auto-success is if the caster level is way above your level (and therefore your max ranks in the skill).

Some options (and they're not mutually exclusive):

-- Allow 1 point to be spent to replace some fixed amount of gold
-- Allow 1 point to be spent to gain a +1 bonus on the Spellcraft check

DonDuckie
2011-09-06, 01:43 PM
In Pathfinder, experience costs weren't "lost" iirc, they were added as an increased gold tag. Your DM could approve using the Craft Points to lower the cost of items you create.

In crafting XP cost was simply lost. For spells, an XP component was replaced by a material component. (5GP per 1XP)

I don't think crafting points are necessary in PF. Maybe it could help with the skill check, which is mostly useful with items requirering different skills; wondrous items and constructs.

Crazysaneman
2011-09-06, 01:50 PM
You could try the http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer Artificer by Adamant Entertainment for pathfinder... Weird Science is cool.

Prime32
2011-09-06, 05:11 PM
You could try the http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer Artificer by Adamant Entertainment for pathfinder... Weird Science is cool.

Also poorly edited though. 5+Int skills, claims that fractions are always rounded up, and what's with that device progression? (starts at wizard speed then waits 6 levels to go from 3rd to 4th level spells, lv0 devices can't be crafted at all) I've done a rework of it here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12869).

Mustard
2011-09-09, 10:28 PM
I believe the "XP cost converted to extra item cost" thing was a beta thing. I remember hearing about that, but comparing D&D's Belt of Giant Strength +4 and +6 to the PF equivalent is the same cost.

The Spellcraft check doesn't necessarily make the crafting automatic, as one could conceivably build a caster without putting points into Spellc-- no, can't rightfully finish that.

As to putting craft points into use? Well, I admit I don't know entirely how they work, just the gist, but here's what I think:
One of the problems with crafting in some campaigns is time. This is campaign-specific, naturally, but if it's the case in yours, suggest to your DM that you can use crafting points to reduce time.
Another idea is to use crafting points as gold that's only usable for crafting, but that was already said (in which case, this is me saying, "I second that").

I have to add: All of the 3rd party stuff on D20PFSRD (well, other than Dreamscarred, I hear) is not high quality, and should be ignored. It's embarrassing, really. The artificer and warlock are particularly bad. And the races. Obviously just my opinion, but bears saying.

tyckspoon
2011-09-09, 10:35 PM
Honestly, I'd just.. clip it out. Artificer is good enough that it doesn't *need* a replacement for the craft reserve. Especially since it was just a cover mechanic for another mechanic that wasn't doing much of anything anyway (net effect of spending XP on crafting anything reasonable: your crafter levels maybe one encounter behind everybody else. That's it. Really.) It's a nice thing on the class in a system where XP costs exist, but it's not going to hurt them any to just ignore it in a system where they don't. Similarly, Retain Essence can just be dropped without any real pain; its function was to let you 'sell' an item for XP to be recycled into useful items instead of GP to be recycled into useful items. The Artificer works exactly the same if you just ignore XP costs altogether.