PDA

View Full Version : What is Roy's Archon doing?

Shreav
2011-09-06, 01:19 PM
Okay, so this is old. Do we have any idea what Roy's Archon promised to do back in strip #664 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html) (when Roy was being resurrected)?

rbetieh
2011-09-06, 02:24 PM
I've wondered about this too. My wild theory:

Lets say Roys grandad only taught Roy 1 feat, but his fighting style is actually 9 or 10 feats deep, like those martial arts styles in ToB. Wouldnt it be plausible that Roy figures he can get his Grandad to talk to him via the Greenhilt sword to continue his training? Unlike Eugene, who is a wizard and already knows how to link himself to the sword, a fighter would need help to do it, and we know Eugene would never help. Maybe the Archon is tasked with filling out the proper forms and such to let his Grandad communicate via the sword?

Boogastreehouse
2011-09-06, 03:04 PM
Roy's mom.

Ooooohhhh!

rbetieh
2011-09-06, 03:07 PM
Roy's mom.

Ooooohhhh!

I am now starting a petition to upgrade Boogastreehouse from Orc in the Playground to Troll in the Playground. :smallwink:

Too funny, but you forgot the Rimshot.

Bavarian itP
2011-09-06, 03:29 PM
Roy's mom.

Well, who doesn't?

faustin
2011-09-06, 03:33 PM
The same thing he does every night, Shreav- try to take over Celestia!
Roy's Archon, Roy's Archon and Eugene, gene, gene, gene.... :smallbiggrin:

Phishfood
2011-09-06, 03:41 PM
That was a rather cryptic message. I don't think communication is the goal, roy's archon couldn't help roy scry. It has to be something "simpler"

You win one internet.

UrsielHauke
2011-09-06, 10:06 PM

More like OVER NINE THOUSAND INTERNETS!!!!

FujinAkari
2011-09-06, 10:11 PM
We don't know.

And... seriously? People should not be encouraged to make your mom jokes... I for one am offended.

LudiDrizzt
2011-09-06, 10:41 PM
To be fair, that's what she said jokes are way better.

mrzomby
2011-09-07, 12:28 AM
Also, Did roy's dad ever haunt roy about xykon going to look for his phylactery? was it just offscreen, or did he figure o chul or V would've told him?

factotum
2011-09-07, 01:49 AM
I'm sure that extremely important piece of information would have been told by O-Chul to Hinjo, and hence Roy. Why do you think they'd need to keep it a secret?

Boogastreehouse
2011-09-07, 01:54 AM
We don't know.

And... seriously? People should not be encouraged to make your mom jokes... I for one am offended.

I was hoping the Oooohhhh! at the end would suggest that I'm more making fun of jokes like that than I am earnestly making a joke like that. Though I am still making a joke like that. Sorry to offend.

Though the fact that the person's mom is dead really does make the joke funnier!

Steward
2011-09-07, 06:55 AM
I'm sure that extremely important piece of information would have been told by O-Chul to Hinjo, and hence Roy. Why do you think they'd need to keep it a secret?

I personally don't think they'd keep it a secret. I mean, sure, the whole 'let's jump Xykon when he's surrounded by all of his elite warriors' plan might sound like sloppy hack-work but it wasn't really their fault.

Gandariel
2011-09-07, 07:37 AM

I have to steal this from you.
Period.
Can i? pretty please?

faustin
2011-09-07, 09:28 AM
I have to steal this from you.
Period.

Feel free for it. Honestly, given the title, I´m even surprised nobody though in that pun before me.
Not to mention that the very idea is funny enough to make at least a few fandom stories. :smallamused:

Phishfood
2011-09-07, 09:35 AM
I wonder if Roy's Archon is studying the Nuclear Attack Readiness Feat...

FJORD!

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-07, 10:05 AM
Roy's Archon, Roy's Archon and Eugene, gene, gene, gene.... :smallbiggrin:Nah, you're thinking of Thoggy and the Nale.

:thog: troz!

Rinquist
2011-09-07, 10:09 AM
We don't know.

A 'your mom' joke?! SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH.

The exchange between Roy and Roy's Archon there in 664 is probably one of the more cryptic loose ends we've yet to see resolved.

Tass
2011-09-07, 10:09 AM
I for one am offended.

So was your... no sorry. You are right.

Though to be fair it was not a your mom joke but a Roys mom joke.

But really I don't think anybody has much idea what the archon is doing. I haven't seen any plausible hypotheses. I guess we'll find out.

the_tick_rules
2011-09-07, 11:51 AM
Who knows? What was he doing when Roy was alive?

Dr.Epic
2011-09-07, 12:20 PM
Roy's mom.

Ooooohhhh!

But the guy's just a ball of light. Can he even:smallconfused:...I mean, does he even have:smalleek:...oh boy...

Red XIV
2011-09-07, 04:14 PM
I've wondered about this too. My wild theory:

Lets say Roys grandad only taught Roy 1 feat, but his fighting style is actually 9 or 10 feats deep, like those martial arts styles in ToB. Wouldnt it be plausible that Roy figures he can get his Grandad to talk to him via the Greenhilt sword to continue his training? Unlike Eugene, who is a wizard and already knows how to link himself to the sword, a fighter would need help to do it, and we know Eugene would never help. Maybe the Archon is tasked with filling out the proper forms and such to let his Grandad communicate via the sword?
Interesting idea, except for the whole "Eugene would never help". He's may be a self-interested jerk, but self-interest is exactly why he'd be likely to help with anything that has even a slight chance of taking out Xykon. He was uninterested in helping Roy see what was going on with the rest of the Order because that knowledge wouldn't actually be useful to killing Xykon and wouldn't get Roy rezzed any faster. But if Horace knows more feats that will make Roy better at fighting a spellcaster, passing those on increases the odds of Eugene getting to leave the cloud and move on to his afterlife.

VanBuren
2011-09-07, 04:53 PM
But the guy's just a ball of light. Can he even:smallconfused:...I mean, does he even have:smalleek:...oh boy...

You have no idea. :smallwink:

Ashadar
2011-09-07, 06:04 PM
So was your... no sorry. You are right.

Don't be sorry, you're making a good point. "So was your mom" would be a good example of a yo momma joke that could get people offended. It's funny either way, but it might get the victim offended.

The Roy's mom joke was not only referring to a fictional being, but was also a reference to an in comic joke (remember what the Oracle said about Roy's mom?). So if you're offended by this fine gentleman's comment, then you are also offended by the Giant for including such offending content into his comic. How offending! Let's stop the hypocrisy and give credit where credit is due, that joke was actually funny and well placed.

FujinAkari
2011-09-07, 07:37 PM
The Roy's mom joke was not only referring to a fictional being, but was also a reference to an in comic joke (remember what the Oracle said about Roy's mom?). So if you're offended by this fine gentleman's comment, then you are also offended by the Giant for including such offending content into his comic. How offending! Let's stop the hypocrisy and give credit where credit is due, that joke was actually funny and well placed.

I believe you misunderstood. I wasn't offended because of a personal reason, I was offended because Your mom jokes are juvinile and tasteless. I found the Oracle's comments belligerent and demeaning as well, but took it in stride because the Oracle was intentionally being offensive to Roy. I don't find it appropriate for people to intentionally offend whomever reads them in the thread...

VanBuren
2011-09-07, 07:45 PM
I believe you misunderstood. I wasn't offended because of a personal reason, I was offended because Your mom jokes are juvinile and tasteless. I found the Oracle's comments belligerent and demeaning as well, but took it in stride because the Oracle was intentionally being offensive to Roy. I don't find it appropriate for people to intentionally offend whomever reads them in the thread...

I guess I just don't understand the point of being offended unless the action affects you personally or is otherwise harmful.

I mean, I could be offended that Haley is a redhead, but there really wouldn't be a good reason for it.

rbetieh
2011-09-07, 10:27 PM
Interesting idea, except for the whole "Eugene would never help". He's may be a self-interested jerk, but self-interest is exactly why he'd be likely to help with anything that has even a slight chance of taking out Xykon. He was uninterested in helping Roy see what was going on with the rest of the Order because that knowledge wouldn't actually be useful to killing Xykon and wouldn't get Roy rezzed any faster. But if Horace knows more feats that will make Roy better at fighting a spellcaster, passing those on increases the odds of Eugene getting to leave the cloud and move on to his afterlife.

Ah but you forget, Eugene already thinks that swinging a sword around at xykon is inherently stupid, so he would see any advice that Horace could give as inherently useless. Its actually the same as not letting Roy scry.

Kish
2011-09-07, 10:46 PM
I found the Oracle's comments belligerent and demeaning as well, but took it in stride because the Oracle was intentionally being offensive to Roy.
Also Roy started it, you know...

TheMac04
2011-09-07, 11:16 PM

Oh, don't get your panties in a bunch Fujin :smalltongue:

Phishfood
2011-09-08, 05:29 AM
Ah but you forget, Eugene already thinks that swinging a sword around at xykon is inherently stupid, so he would see any advice that Horace could give as inherently useless. Its actually the same as not letting Roy scry.

I expect you are right. However Roy's improved sword harms undead. Does he know this?

If he does he might be more receptive. Maybe. If he's in a good mood.

hamishspence
2011-09-08, 05:55 AM
Roy knows.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html

but I don't know if Eugene does.

Atcote
2011-09-08, 05:58 AM
Well, anything regarding Roy's mother aside, I suppose the best way to come to this conclusion is to tell what Roy's Archon can actually DO. Establishment of his abilities in the past would be a good way for the Giant to avoid a Deus Ex Machina (although, you know, if it were to be making him a functional robot or Warforged from Celestia, well, damn, I'd be happy).

It has minimal combat proficiency, from the sort fight against the plane jumpers.
He can freely travel the heavens, but probably can't leave them.
He can talk to other spirits.
He can keep track of time to the second.

Any other abilities that could be useful in figuring out this incredible vagueness?

Steward
2011-09-08, 07:22 AM
I think he's just a standard Lantern Archon, from the SRD:

Lantern archons appear as floating balls of light that glow about as brightly as a torch. Only their destruction can extinguish the glow, though they can try to hide it.
Combat

A lantern archon has little reason to get within melee range. It usually hovers just close enough to bring the enemy within its aura of menace, then blasts away with its light rays. Lantern archons prefer to concentrate on a single opponent, seeking to reduce enemy numbers quickly.
Aura of Menace (Su)

Will DC 12 negates.
Light Ray (Ex)

A lantern archon’s light rays have a range of 30 feet. This attack overcomes damage reduction of any type.
Spell-Like Abilities

At will—aid, detect evil, continual flame. Caster level 3rd.

More important, I think, than his supernatural abilities are his connections / relationships with other beings in the Upper Planes. And, no, I don't mean his 'relationship' with Roy's mother -- he might be able to pull some strings on the Order's behalf with the Celestial authorities (perhaps by getting Horace a pass to visit Roy, or things like that).

Thrawn183
2011-09-08, 08:48 AM
I assumed it was play with Roy's younger brother.

The Succubus
2011-09-09, 07:45 AM

To the Crack Pairing Thread! :smalltongue:

Ashadar
2011-09-09, 02:50 PM
To the Crack Pairing Thread! :smalltongue:

Seconded.

-insert random phrase here to achieve the minimum of 10 characters required to submit my post-

martianmister
2011-09-09, 03:17 PM
I assumed it was play with Roy's younger brother.

Oh God no! :smalleek:

Darth Hunterix
2011-09-09, 03:31 PM
You people are very naughty.
It's clear that he is just doing push-ups to stay in good shape. And only because he is naked invisible all the time you make crazy stories about his love life. Who do you think he is, O-Chul?

Rinquist
2011-09-10, 01:54 AM
Well, this thread was fun while it lasted.

faustin
2011-09-10, 12:19 PM
Well, this thread was fun while it lasted.

yup, now it´s the point when someone says "Hitler" or "nazis" (according with Godwin´s law) :smallsigh:

Darth Hunterix
2011-09-10, 01:00 PM
yup, now it´s the point when someone says "Hitler" or "nazis" (according with Godwin´s law) :smallsigh:

I don't know what would Nazi Hitler do in Celestia, but since you were kind enough to cover that part of conversion for us, I guess we can get back to the point without worrying for Godwin's Law any longer (not that we actually did).

Where was I... oh yes! I think I forgot to mention last time that Roy's Archon is going to become a lich quite soon.

Morquard
2011-09-11, 08:57 AM
I actually thought that he was supposed to rally support for Roy's fight against Xykon, sort of like build an army of high-level celestials standing ready for a Gate spell:

:roy: Durkon cast Gate to Celestia
:durkon: Why?
:roy: I don't really know, it just feels like the right thing to do
:xykon: Sure do that, I defeated those lame celestials before... Oh look, a cute small ball of light, that's all you could find?
:smile: Hi, I'm Roy's Archon. Hello Roy, remember me? ARMY OF HEAVEN ATTACK!!
*a thousand solars and other angels rush through the gate*
:xykon: AAAAAAHHH!

However from a storytelling perspective that would be a lame solution to the whole story, so I doubt it will actually be that.

mrmcfatty
2011-09-11, 11:55 AM
I actually thought that he was supposed to rally support for Roy's fight against Xykon, sort of like build an army of high-level celestials standing ready for a Gate spell:

:roy: Durkon cast Gate to Celestia
:durkon: Why?
:roy: I don't really know, it just feels like the right thing to do
:xykon: Sure do that, I defeated those lame celestials before... Oh look, a cute small ball of light, that's all you could find?
:smile: Hi, I'm Roy's Archon. Hello Roy, remember me? ARMY OF HEAVEN ATTACK!!
:xykon: AAAAAAHHH!

However from a storytelling perspective that would be a lame solution to the whole story, so I doubt it will actually be that.

as long as Roy's Archon changes into that smiley im ok with this :P

faustin
2011-09-11, 01:42 PM
Durkon cast Gate to Celestia
Why?
I don't really know, it just feels like the right thing to do
Sure do that, I defeated those lame celestials before... Oh look, a cute small ball of light, that's all you could find?
Hi, I'm Roy's Archon. Hello Roy, remember me? ARMY OF HEAVEN ATTACK!!
AAAAAAHHH!

Given Xykon´s intention about the Snarl, I don´t think the Gods (even neutral or Evil-except-The Dark One) would mind lending some of their troops to The Order, in any loophole of the Rules (Heaven-Hell treaties) they cand find.
The heck, I even bet Thor would gladly crush X under his hammer in any chance he could get.

Steward
2011-09-11, 05:54 PM
Can an Outsider become a lich?

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-11, 06:05 PM
Well, an Outsider's soul is the same as their body. Since most interpretations of liches I've seen involve the soul being in the phylactery, I'd say it's a flat-out no. But in OOTS the phylactery is just the place their soul goes after the body is destroyed, so it's a little more unclear.

An Outsider with the Native subtype probably could.

Steward
2011-09-11, 07:52 PM
Cool! Sorry for derailing the thread a bit there -- I just tried to imagine what Roy's Archon would look like as an undead or something, and it didn't seem quite right to me.

Well, back to topic -- I guess RA might not coming back as a lich.

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-12, 01:48 AM
Can an Outsider become a lich?
Per the SRD, the Lich template is humanoid-only. Not that that necessarily matters.

hamishspence
2011-09-12, 05:53 AM
There's a "lichfiend" lich variant in Libris Mortis for Outsiders.

UrsielHauke
2011-09-12, 09:08 PM
Back on topic...

I honestly don't think it is to have Horace teach Roy the feats via manifestation. Regardless of how deep the feat tree is, Roy still has to spend the feats to get there, so in game terms having Horace there won't help much. In RP terms, however, great, but Roy seems to have a decent knowledge of how feats work (Fighter, after all), so I don't think it will matter. Much as I love Heavy RP and the like, it just doesn't matter. Simply put, just because a fighter or other warrior knows a technique for defending himself more effectively in combat at the expense of their offense doesn't mean that every character would go around specifically calling it "Combat Expertise" (Though in the OOTSverse it may be up for debate), nor is a feat representative of a specific form of knowledge and method of aquisition thereof (With some exceptions) but rather a catchall for the various bits of knowledge, traits, and skills that characters pick up over the course of their lives. So, considering Roy already has this "Cool idea for a sword move", I don't think Horace's presence would be requisite to him puzzling it out. Him puzzling it out faster, however? Maybe.