PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Dragon Disciple Optimization? (Advice needed)

Krazzman
2011-09-06, 03:26 PM
Good evening Playground,

after reading a bit I've grew a bit of a kinda descent Idea. I thought about playing a Dragon Disciple. After reading Treantmonks Guide to Melee Bards I somehow think, there is more that can be done. Has anybody out here in the Playground thought about a Melee with Dip in Sorcerer/Bard to go into Dragon Disciple?

For example I wanted to make a Natsu (Fairy Tail) -ish Character to wield a Falchion/Scimitar. But somehow I get confused with the vast mayority of Options I seem to have. The Bard has quite many ACF's, Barbarians, Fighter etc. also.
But the point in me taking that PrC is mostly because of the Gimmiks, a Breath attack and so on. The only problem I see in this is the loss of the skill-monkey role.

I hope you can recommend me some combinations.

Have a nice Day
Krazzman

Paul H
2011-09-06, 05:24 PM
Hi

I've looked at a few Dragon Disciple builds for the PSF campaign. (20 pt buy, etc).

1) Paladin 4/Sorc 1/DD xxx
2) Sorc 2/Pal 3/DD xx
3) Bard (choose archetype) 5/DD xx
4) Synthesist (Summoner Archetype) 5/DD xx
5) Cross Blooded (Sorc Archetype) 5/DD xx

Or a some mix of above.

1] Is good melee. Add Cha to saves, Good for Pally abilities.
2] Better access to Sorc spells/abilities, but still has Pally bonuses/immunities.
3] Skill monkey
4] 'Wears' Eidolon. Gains it's massive stat bonuses/abilities. Note: Some DD bonuses don't stack. Though Increasing Char stats allow extra feats like Pwr Attack etc.
5) Cross blooded can gain bonuses from both Draconic & one other (I chose Elemental).

Just a thought, have you thought about Synthesist itself? It's a Summoner Archetype (not a PrC). Batter stats, abilities etc. And might be able to do more in one class. (For Fav Class options). What it can't do is the range of elemental spells.

Thanks
Paul H

Krazzman
2011-09-07, 02:05 AM
Since Paladins are...not so good to play in the campaign I want that character for, and the summoner is most likely banned (only core classes + archetypes).

But for the third variant: Bard 5/DragonD.

What Race should I take?(I prefer Human for the extra Feat) What weapon should I use? (Falchion is atm my weapon of choice since Nodachi would't be allowed and is a Martial weapon, but it is a Martial Weapon...).

But for Feats? I'm utterly lost.

The Critical Chain:
Improved Critical: Double your threat range. This works best with 18-20 base crit ranges, like the rapier or the falchion
Critical Focus: +4 to confirm criticals, and more importantly, the prerequisite for some really sick feats
Sickening Critical: Available at level 15, causes sickened effect on victim

The Power Attack Chain:
Power Attack: -1 to hit and +2 damage. +3 if the weapon is a two-hander. This penalty and bonus increase with level.
Cleave: For a -2 to AC, get an additional attack with a standard action attack against another adjacent enemy, who thought of Cleave as a skirmishers feat?
Improved Sunder: Help out the fighter by destroying his enemies weapon. Also good for enemy casters spell component pouches or spell focuses.

Sounds pretty nice. (I think I will refrain from Imp. Sunder.)

But for the first 2 feats I would stick to Toughness and Arcane Strike. But since there are new feats in Ultimate Combat, I don't know if I should go this way? Or take different Feats? Which Archetype should I chose? And which Dragon? Since we should be good, I think Copper or Brass are quite nice but I hardly know a thing about Eberronian Dragons.

Have a nice day,
Krazzman

subject42
2011-09-07, 07:54 AM
Dragon Disciple only needs 1st level spells, so one thing that I like is filling in the rest of the qualifying levels with Barbarian. In the end you end up a melee juggernaut with some supporting spellcasting.

Paul H
2011-09-07, 09:18 AM
Hi

Do you have access to the other books?

Nodachi is a 2H sword that does D10 dam, threats on 18+ (x2). Heirloom Weapon (Nodachi) allows you to use that weapon (not other Nodachi's) without penalty.

Arcane Duelist grants some nifty bonuses - Arcane Strike at 1st lvl. Bladethirst (at 6th) allows you to enhance your weapon with a further +1 that stacks with other enhancements. Can be used to grant additional properties to an existing magical weapon.

There are alternat Favoured Class abilities in APG. Taking Human means you can gain extra spells (below highest level you currently cast).

So I suggest Human Arcane Duelist:

1) Toughness, Dodge (Arcane Strike) Traits:Heirloom Wpn (Nodachi)
3) Pwr Attack
5) Wpn Prof (Nodachi) [Allows you to use other Nodachis. Eg, one cold iron, etc]
7) Additional Traits. This is where you take the Magical Trait: Magical Knack. It offsets your Caster Levels lost in DD.

I suggested Nodachi because of it's damage & threat range. Can easily be changed for Falchion.

There is a nice feat for Saranrae worshippers called Dervish Dance, but since it's Dex based, and DD grants Str bonuses.....

Take 6 levels of Arcane Duelist before going into the PrC. It gets you that extra nice ability to further enhance your weapons.

Happy hunting
Paul H

Krazzman
2011-09-07, 09:43 AM
Oh nice,

that sounds pretty awsome, the only point is...I think Traits won't be used. But I could start with changing Dodge for the Additional Traits feat? (It gives 2 if I recollect)

Jeah, the Nodachi is Pretty awesome, I more or less railroaded one of my players to that weapon (human fighter wanted to make samurai-esque char with 2-handling Katana, he's much happier with the Nodachi :D). But for the campaign I will be in, the Falchion is more accepted. (One player wanted to make an Arabian Fighter [with falchion] and we are starting in the same lil village)

Another question I have how about Skill/Attribute-Distribution. We are momentarily triing to convince our DM to 20pt Point-Buy while 2 players say it's fairer, the dm says rolling brings differences etc....

I thought about Perform Dancing and Singing for Bonus on Acrobatics and Fly and Bluff. Diplomacy/Bluff, Sense Motive/perception and Knowledges.

Another Question popped up... the breath weapon? Which Dragon should I take? And how many times can I use it?

Have a nice Day,
Krazzman

Krazzman
2011-09-08, 02:40 PM
I thought a bit about it and came up with this:

Str (+2 racial): 17 (7)
Dex: 12 (2)
Con: 14 (5)
Int: 14 (5)
Wis: 7 (-4)
Cha: 14 (5)

PB-20.

Level 4 in Strength, Level 8 in Cha.

But still, which Dragon is a good choice? For the Breath Weapon?
Which Feats should I take from the Bloodline? Since Toughness and PowerAttack are already taken.

Have a Nice Day
Krazzman