PDA

View Full Version : Templates to reduce size?

Sir_Chivalry
2011-09-07, 12:09 AM
Besides Dungeonbred and Child, are there any? Especially ones that would apply to an animal?

Vizzerdrix
2011-09-07, 04:32 AM
I'd love to know where the Child template is from.

If you want to get really small, Both the Eneko and Half giant races can be the targets of the spell Return to nature (Eberron Campaign Setting pg 114).

Fizban
2011-09-07, 04:38 AM
Dungeonbred is what you're looking for, from Dungeonscape. Reduces size by one category while giving a couple benefits to make up for it, also makes it easy maintenance for dungeon owners.

Edit: wow, I can read, totally >.<

So, none that I know of then.

Yuki Akuma
2011-09-07, 04:39 AM
Dungeonbred is what you're looking for, from Dungeonscape. Reduces size by one category while giving a couple benefits to make up for it, also makes it easy maintenance for dungeon owners.

First two words of the OP, dude.

hamishspence
2011-09-07, 04:44 AM
I'd love to know where the Child template is from.

I'm guessing this is the Young template from Pathfinder.

Fizban
2011-09-07, 04:54 AM
Aha! Anthropomorphic! Reduces large to medium and huge or greater to large. Of course then it's not an animal anymore.

Which brings a question: what kind of animal did you want to shrink, and for what purpose? There's smaller versions of a lot of creatures already, like the Cave Dinosaurs, or you could find a way to get the Compression power as a spell like ability or magic item.

Person_Man
2011-09-07, 08:04 AM
Not a template, but the augmented version of the Compression psionic power can shrink you by two size categories. The duration can be 1 minute per level, so one or two activations should be enough to get you through most dungeons.

Darrin
2011-09-07, 08:35 AM
If you can change the creature type to giant (such as half-troll or dustform -> incarnate construct), you can cast return to nature (Eberron Campaign Setting) to instantaneously reduce your size as much as you like.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-09-08, 07:41 PM
Not so (random extra leng

Lateral
2011-09-08, 07:51 PM
Not so (random extra leng

What? I'm sorry, I couldn't parse that. What are you talking about, exactly?

Yuki Akuma
2011-09-08, 07:55 PM
He tends to post unfinished posts a lot. Pay it no mind.

Lateral
2011-09-08, 08:29 PM
He tends to post unfinished posts a lot. Pay it no mind.

I know, but that time I'm not even sure what point he was trying to make.

Malimar
2011-09-09, 02:33 AM
Monster progressions are primarily intended as a "let your PCs play monster races from level 1", but Savage Species includes a note to the effect that DMs can use it to create weaker (and sometimes smaller) versions of creatures.

But for an animal, you'd have to stat up a monster class for yourself using the guidelines provided in SS, and then use that monster class to advance the thing to any level where it's not at full size, and that's just a pointlessly circuitous way to do it.

I have had some moderate success in the past using "<creature> under the effect of a permanent/instantaneous enlarge/reduce animal/person effect" for a little bit of easy variety in monsters. Enlarge should probably be a +1 CR at low levels where larger natural attack matters, but other than that, enlarged and reduced are probably safely +0.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-09-09, 07:35 PM
The post above my previous one is a lie. So I said 'not so' in answer, but this stupid boar

kaminobaka91
2016-08-30, 04:30 PM
Its a little late and all that lol but green ronin publishing wrath and rage a guidebook to orcs has the runt feat that reduces a humanoid 1 category wont work for animals though