PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Things that don't work with spring attack, but should?

subject42
2011-09-07, 10:20 AM
Pathfinder errata-ed spring attack to a full round action during which you may move and make a single melee attack.

Unfortunately, this means that per RAW, you can't combine spring attack and vital strike, as vital strike is explicitly a standard action.

Scorpion style has the same problem.

In a campaign that I should be starting in the next week or two, I'd like to house rule various abilities that should be compatible with spring attack, but per RAW, aren't.

Other than the two listed above, can you think of any other abilities that should work as part of a spring attack?

Curious
2011-09-07, 10:22 AM
Pathfinder errata-ed spring attack to a full round action during which you may move and make a single melee attack.

Unfortunately, this means that per RAW, you can't combine spring attack and vital strike, as vital strike is explicitly a standard action.

Scorpion style has the same problem.

In a campaign that I should be starting in the next week or two, I'd like to house rule various abilities that should be compatible with spring attack, but per RAW, aren't.

Other than the two listed above, can you think of any other abilities that should work as part of a spring attack?

Pretty much any melee ability that takes a standard action to complete.

subject42
2011-09-07, 10:24 AM
Pretty much any melee ability that takes a standard action to complete.

Would you include touch spells in that list?

Curious
2011-09-07, 10:28 AM
Would you include touch spells in that list?

No, that's a spell. What I mean is, almost no melee ability that is delivered as a standard action is powerful enough to be broken, even if used during Spring Attack's movement.

subject42
2011-09-07, 10:34 AM
No, that's a spell. What I mean is, almost no melee ability that is delivered as a standard action is powerful enough to be broken, even if used during Spring Attack's movement.

I think I'll be using this wording, then. Do you see any issues with it?

Spring Attack may be combined with any extraordinary or supernatural touch attack that must normally be used as a standard action.

Curious
2011-09-07, 10:37 AM
I think I'll be using this wording, then. Do you see any issues with it?

Spring Attack may be combined with any extraordinary or supernatural touch attack that must normally be used as a standard action.

That. . . Is almost completely worthless. There are very few Ex or Su touch attacks around, and even fewer that PC's have access to (actually, I can't think of a single one). Just make it something like, '-may be combined with any melee attack or action which requires a standard action to initiate.'

Blisstake
2011-09-07, 10:41 AM
Actually, I think Vital Strike is what needs to be re-worded.

"Any time you would make a single attack on your turn, you may..." blah blah blah.

Curious

"Any time you would make a single attack on your turn, you may..." blah blah blah.

Furious Focus could do with the same.

Ernir
Use the wording from Flyby Attack, Spring Attack's useful cousin.

That could get messy.

What if, say, someone provokes an AoO from you before your turn? Must you decide then whether your Vital Strike applies (promising to not make any more attacks that round)? Or is it applied retroactively if you do not make any further attacks? Etc.

EDIT: You said "on your turn", never mind me...

subject42
2011-09-07, 10:44 AM
That. . . Is almost completely worthless. There are very few Ex or Su touch attacks around, and even fewer that PC's have access to (actually, I can't think of a single one). Just make it something like, '-may be combined with any melee attack or action which requires a standard action to initiate.'

Pathfinder actually has an absurd number of Su touch attacks. Take a look at the Oracle revelations, for starters.

Aren't abilities granted from feats technically considered extraordinary abilities, or am I thinking of something else?

NecroRick
2011-09-07, 11:18 AM
The mental image I'm having right now is a bunch of Dread Necromancers (Charnel Touch is Su) bouncing around like grasshoppers....

Frosty
2011-09-07, 11:55 AM
My DM has always read Vital Strike as being compatible with Spring Attack and even Charging. I like those interpretations.

Curious
2011-09-07, 12:10 PM
Pathfinder actually has an absurd number of Su touch attacks. Take a look at the Oracle revelations, for starters.

Aren't abilities granted from feats technically considered extraordinary abilities, or am I thinking of something else?

Not unless explicitly spelled out, I think.

BlueInc
2011-09-07, 12:36 PM
Not unless explicitly spelled out, I think.

Add in the Wizard Schools, Sorcerer Bloodlines, Cleric Domains,Witch Hexes and so forth and there are an awful lot of abilities with a range of touch.

I think it would be interesting if you could make an agile healer. Darts over to a friend in need, buffs/heals them, then jumps away.

Curious
2011-09-07, 01:23 PM
Add in the Wizard Schools, Sorcerer Bloodlines, Cleric Domains,Witch Hexes and so forth and there are an awful lot of abilities with a range of touch.

I think it would be interesting if you could make an agile healer. Darts over to a friend in need, buffs/heals them, then jumps away.

Yes, but the point of the feat is to allow for agile meleers, not yet another buff for spellcasters. That's my only real objection to it, as otherwise it makes sense to use with touch spells.

Infernalbargain
2011-09-07, 04:18 PM

Bloodline abilities that matter for this are SP (things other than stuff like growing claws), some wizard schools are SP, hexes are all SU, and a number of cleric domains abilities are SP. So it'd mostly be witches leaping around.

Blisstake
2011-09-07, 04:19 PM
Yes, but the point of the feat is to allow for agile meleers, not yet another buff for spellcasters. That's my only real objection to it, as otherwise it makes sense to use with touch spells.

Doesn't work on spells though. It has to be supernatural or extraordinary.