PDA

View Full Version : [Bloodline] Those lonely wizards will make anything...

flabort
2011-09-07, 11:01 AM
Constructs should not be able to bear children. They don't have the organs for it.
But since we all know constructs were designed by wizards, guys who couldn't get a date if their life was at risk, it becomes a safe assumption that at some time somewhere a wizard built some on a rather lonely night...
Whether the Gearkin have a Brass Golem or a Warforged in their ancestry doesn't matter to them. They don't like to talk about Grandpa Steve, or his eccentric creation.

{table=head] Level |
Minor |
Intermediate |
Major

1 | | | Craft (any one) +2
2 | | Craft (any one) +2 | Clay Skin
3 | | | Strength +1
4 | Craft (any one) +2 | Clay Skin | Stone Mind
5 | | | Construct Affinity +2
6 | | Strength +1 | Wooden Fortitude
7 | | | Use Magic Device +2
8 | Clay Skin | Stone Mind | Brass Thrust
9 | | | Wisdom +1
10 | | Construct Affinity +2 | Iron Endurance
11 | | | Construct Affinity +4
12 | Strength +1 | Wooden Fortitude | Constructed Body
13 | | | Intimidate +2
14 | | Use Magic Device +2 | Steel Strength
15 | | | Dexterity +1
16 | Stone Mind | Brass Thrust | Mithral Agility
17 | | | Construct Affinity +6
18 | | Wisdom +1 | Adamant Anchor
19 | | | Disable Device +2
20 | Construct Affinity +2 | Iron Endurance | Artificial Child
[/table]

Clay Skin The skin of a Gearkin is tougher than the norm for their race, and has almost a metallic sheen. They gain a natural armor bonus equal to 1/4, 1/2, or 1X their level, depending on bloodline strength. In addition, they gain 4 extra max HP times 1/4, 1/2, or 1X their level, again depending on bloodline strength.

Stone Mind The Gearkin resists many of the same effects it's construct ancestor(s) may have been immune to. It gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 + 1/4, 1/2, or 1X it's level, depending on bloodline strength. They only require 20 minutes of complete rest when exhausted to become fatigued, and 3 hours complete rest when fatigued to no longer be fatigued.

Construct Afinity A Gearkin sees more of a person when they look upon a construct than others do, partially because of their similar compositions. A gearkin gains a bonus on all social interaction checks with Constructs.

Wooden Fortitude A Gearkin no longer applies his whole Constitution modifier to HP. Whenever he would apply his constitution modifier to anything, apply half instead and add half of his Strength mod. The Gearkin also takes only half damage from precision damage effects (effects that deal half damage to immune targets deal full damage).

Brass Thrust A Gearkin gains 2 natural slam attacks, that deal 1d10 damage each.

Iron Endurance A Gearkin gains Endurance as a Bonus Feat.

Constructed Body The Gearkin loses his constitution score entirely, making it a non-ability. When he would apply constitution to anything, apply strength instead. He also gains DR 2/adamantine.

Steel Strength The Gearkin gains an additional hitpoint per level, and becomes entirely immune to precision damage. As well, it can heal damage to itself through use of the Craft Construct Feat.

Mithral Agility The Gearkin no longer needs to eat, sleep, or breathe at all, and is immune to Fatigue and exhaustion effects. It also gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC.

Adamant Anchor The Gearkin gains Low-light vision, darkvision out to 60 feet, and immunity to all mind affecting effects. It's DR increases to 5/adamantine, and it gains a +3 additional bonus to Natural Armor.

Artificial Child The Gearkin realizes just how much of a construct it actually is. It gains the Construct type, and the augmented subtype for whichever type it was before. It gains any Construct Traits it didn't already have. It cannot be affected by spells and effects that target it's previous type, but may now be affected by spells and effects that target constructs and objects. Additionally, it gains Fast Healing 5, or increases an existing Fast Healing by 3, whichever is higher.

----------------
I was inspired after reading Welknair's guide to bloodlines, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208703) and his Glamerkin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11265857#post11265857) bloodline.
I think it might be a tad over powered, though....
And I might be taking on too many things at once, with this, and Divine Seeker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214456) and The simulation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211841)...

Amechra
2011-09-07, 03:46 PM
Spell Resistance should have a 10+ before the amounts given by the bloodline; having SR 20 is useful... before level 10, and even then it isn't that helpful.

Welknair
2011-09-08, 08:13 PM
Looks good for the most part, though I do have a couple of easily-resolved nitpicks.

Spell Resistance should have a 10+ before the amounts given by the bloodline; having SR 20 is useful... before level 10, and even then it isn't that helpful.

I concur. Should be 10+. Especially because without that, when they first got Stone Mind that'd be SR 4.

Secondly, here in the D&D-verse, we have Adamantine. Adamantium is what Captain America's shield and Wolverine's grafted skeleton are made out of.

I think Mithral Agility's +5 Dodge to AC may be a smidge much. Consider toning it down.

Adamant Anchor's bonus to AC would make more sense as a Natural Armor bonus instead of a Deflection bonus. Deflection implies something along the lines of a forcefield, Natural Armor is just thick skin.

Lastly Artificial Child could probably use an added bonus. Immunity to a few low-level spells isn't much of a capstone.

flabort
2011-09-08, 08:33 PM
I felt it was a bit powerful at first, but if the Bloodline Master says it's too strong...
I'll bump it up a bit.
I'll tone down the dodge, and... change the deflection bonus to more natural armor, and increase the SR.

Edit: Done, and improved the capstone a little.

radmelon
2011-09-08, 10:18 PM
The damage for the slam attack is pretty high. 2d10? Twice per round? ouch.

Welknair
2011-09-08, 10:21 PM
The damage for the slam attack is pretty high. 2d10? Twice per round? ouch.

Yeah, I was just thinking that myself. 2d10 is a tad high. I'd suggest scaling it back to a single slam attack dealing 1d10. Still quite a step up from 1d3 nonlethal, but not overly powerful.

flabort
2011-09-09, 10:39 AM
Alright. I was kind of reading the brass/clay golem entries at the time, I thought it seemed a tad strong, but forgot to tone it down.
Thanks for the critique and reminder.
Anything else?

SamBurke
2011-10-26, 04:57 PM
For LA+3, it's awesome. Melee never gets good capstones anyway.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-26, 05:04 PM
Secondly, here in the D&D-verse, we have Adamantine. Adamantium is what Captain America's shield and Wolverine's grafted skeleton are made out of.

Sorry, need to chime in here because my inner comic Nazi won't allow me otherwise.

Captain America's shield is made from an alloy of Vibranium and steel. Adamantium was actually created in an attempt to recreate the original metal combination but is otherwise in no way related to the original material except that sometimes the Vibranium/Steel alloy is called "Proto-Adamantium".

Edit:@OP: I think the bloodline looks quite nice at this point.

flabort
2011-10-26, 08:15 PM
Thanks. And while I knew his shield was vibranium, those are some cool facts. I'll store those away for later...

DracoDei
2011-10-27, 02:06 PM
In addition, they gain 4 extra max HP times 1/4, 1/2, or 1X their level, again depending on bloodline strength.
Change this to "In addition they gain 1, 2, or 4 extra hitpoints per level, again depending on bloodline strength."

SamBurke
2011-10-27, 02:08 PM
Change this to "In addition they gain 1, 2, or 4 extra hitpoints per level, again depending on bloodline strength."

+4 HP per level x 17 levels? I dunno... Seems way overpowered.

bobthe6th
2011-10-27, 06:52 PM
know thats sarcasm but you might want to make that clearer...

but giving them the equivalent of a +5 con, and allowing a caster to dump stat his constitution seems a little to much...

Doorhandle
2011-10-29, 08:42 PM
I have nothing mature to add, buuut.

Brass Thrust

:smallbiggrin: It just sounds so appropriate for the bloodline!

flabort
2011-10-30, 12:57 PM
I have nothing mature to add, buuut.

:smallbiggrin: It just sounds so appropriate for the bloodline!

:smalltongue: You, sir, are despicable :smalltongue: