PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Witch help [[Solved, Thanks all]]

Igneel
2011-09-07, 12:47 PM
Hello all, to start things off I'm a pathfinder noob. I've recently found a group that is willing to put up with me as I convert from 3.5 to pathfinder by starting a lvl 1 game that they have been discussing for some time now.

The basic plotline of the story is that our characters somehow/way found our way to a small thorp [pop. 20] and will try to help it grow/protect it, so basically a community game meaning that we need to build character that can 'contribute' to the small society.

Looking through the http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ I saw the Witch class, and despite the obvious class features aimed towards the "Hag evil witch of the West" styled witch, I want to build a more Pagan/Wiccan witch that uses her magic and knowledge of herbs to help others.

Taking a quick look, it seems that most 'Witch Help' threads highly suggest the Cackle+Misfortune+Slumber hex combo which imho only Sleep would work with my character concept. So outside of Slumber the only other hexs that really suit my character seem to be the Healing , and Warding [motherly character]. In short, it seems the route I'm wanting to go is the least traveled path, but other classes don't seem to come close to what I want [besides the druid].

So what I guess I'm getting at is if anyone has any advice on choice feats, spells, familiar, etc so that my 'Good witch' isn't absolutely terrible, but from my research not 'high-op' optimized.

So to recap the build info I have to give:
[B]Alignment: No evil [Currently CN]
Races: Core only [I'm looking at Human for the extra feat, and +2 to Int more then likely]
Point Buy: 20
Starting Level: 1
Party Consists of: 1 Human Alchemist [only one that I know of for sure, with another 2 staying secretive for now.]
Game Starting time: I should have a week or two till I absolutely need to turn in my character.

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

WildPyre
2011-09-07, 01:06 PM
I'd keep the healing hex under consideration, since you can use it once a day per person, meaning if 500 people around you get hurt, you can cast it once on each of those 500 people. I play a witch and memorized very few healing spells and relied on the healing hex, later getting a healing wand and no longer memorizing any healing at all.

You might consider the cauldron hex as well, letting you brew potions at first level, not a bad deal in PF since there's no xp cost. If you're using traits you can take the "Rich Parents" trait for 900gp in starting gold and not have to worry about the component cost of any potions you'd be able to make. The only issue with it is that you need the downtime for brewing.

The Feral Speech hex might come in handy considering the setting.

I'd suggest playing human for that extra feat, then spending that extra feat on "Extra Hex". It's what I went with on mine, took Cauldron and Slumber, then Healing at level 2 when I found I didn't have the time in game to craft too many potions.

Andreaz
2011-09-07, 01:06 PM
I see no problem with Cackle and Misfortune for a witch not themed by fairy tales.

If what you want just doesn't emanate anything other than a "matron mother" vibe, than what you want isn't a 'non-evil witch', you want a 'team mom' :p
And even that one can have those things, you know?
But I digress.

Look into divinations and flight. The Hedge Witch archetype approximates a disney-shaman type, with more healing if you want it. Tongues is generally useful, and later you get the cooler divinations. And a mobile hut, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Igneel
2011-09-07, 01:57 PM
I'd keep the healing hex under consideration, since you can use it once a day per person, meaning if 500 people around you get hurt, you can cast it once on each of those 500 people. I play a witch and memorized very few healing spells and relied on the healing hex, later getting a healing wand and no longer memorizing any healing at all.
Hmm... That is a good point. Granted I have no idea how far up in the levels we are expecting to make, and the Gm hinting at her casualty rate. Wouldn't help I suppose.

You might consider the cauldron hex as well, letting you brew potions at first level, not a bad deal in PF since there's no xp cost. If you're using traits you can take the "Rich Parents" trait for 900gp in starting gold and not have to worry about the component cost of any potions you'd be able to make. The only issue with it is that you need the downtime for brewing.
Wouldn't that be stepping on the Alchemist's toes a little? I will need to check with the Gm on whether we are using traits or not.

The Feral Speech hex might come in handy considering the setting.
I didn't think of that, would be quite useful later I suppose.

I'd suggest playing human for that extra feat, then spending that extra feat on "Extra Hex". It's what I went with on mine, took Cauldron and Slumber, then Healing at level 2 when I found I didn't have the time in game to craft too many potions.
I did have my eye on Extra Hex as at least a feat. Thus far I might go with the Healing+Slumber hexes with possibly the Feral Speech or Cauldron at 2nd.

I see no problem with Cackle and Misfortune for a witch not themed by fairy tales.
Besides the fluff that makes them sound slightly evil-ish?

If what you want just doesn't emanate anything other than a "matron mother" vibe, than what you want isn't a 'non-evil witch', you want a 'team mom' :p
And even that one can have those things, you know?
But I digress.
Technically yes they can have those things, but then again I don't think a small society would take to kindly to you 'Cackling' like a mad woman, and casting bad luck hexes on people. I would prefer to helping the people over being run out of town by a mob with pitchforks and torches thank you. And yes, I am going for the 'team mom' role since I truthfully like to Rp different types of characters, and have never done a 'team mom' before.
To each their own I guess.

Look into divinations and flight. The Hedge Witch archetype approximates a disney-shaman type, with more healing if you want it. Tongues is generally useful, and later you get the cooler divinations. And a mobile hut, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.
Divination would be useful later I'm sure, along with flight. I have taken a look at the Hedge Witch and thought it was an interesting option, but not exactly 'disney-shaman'. As for the mobile hut, that has a distinct flavor of Baba Yaga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Yaga) to me. But then I could be helpful as well even as a 15x15ft moving base of operations.

Thank you both for you help, now could I get some advice on an ideal familiar? Outside from the site I put in the OP I don't have any other Pathfinder material to go by, and was thinking either Thrush or Owl.

Andreaz
2011-09-07, 02:10 PM
You clearly do not know the therapeutic value of a good mad laugh :D

Arguing fluff is rather pointless but... The only hex that is stated to be evil in any sorts is Cook People. Throw a few misfortunes around and suddenly they're much easier to pick by your people.
Plus it's great for party pranks!

BlueInc
2011-09-07, 02:55 PM
Did you read/watch the last installment of the Harry Potter series? Remember when Molly Weasley yells "Stay away from my daughter, you b!tch!" at Bellatrix Lestrange? That's what Cackle and Misfortune let you do. Debuff all your enemies' and your party is a lot safer.

Also, make sure you read the full explanation/errata of Evil Eye (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch#TOC-Hex) on the srd; you can debuff the same opponent's skill checks, attack rolls, AC, and saving throws with separate "castings" of the hex, making it useful for boss fights.

The more I think about it, the more I see your character as Molly Weasley.

Igneel
2011-09-07, 03:28 PM
Alright, I'm starting to tetter towards getting Cackle+Misfortune, but I still want Healing+Slumber as well...

Would you guys recommend me using my two feats for first level on two Extra Hexes for a Cackle+Misfortune+Healing at 1st, Slumber at 2nd?

Gnaeus
2011-09-07, 03:29 PM
Take a look at ultimate magic. Some of the hexes may help, but particularly you want 2 feats, Split hex, and Accursed hex. Split hex lets you Slumber 2 people per round. Accursed hex lets you try a hex again on a target if you fail. Not sure if you can take them at first level, but definitely awesome.

Cackle goes better with evil eye than with misfortune. Evil eye still has a duration which you can extend even if they make their save.

Igneel
2011-09-07, 03:54 PM
Take a look at ultimate magic. Some of the hexes may help, but particularly you want 2 feats, Split hex, and Accursed hex. Split hex lets you Slumber 2 people per round. Accursed hex lets you try a hex again on a target if you fail. Not sure if you can take them at first level, but definitely awesome.

Cackle goes better with evil eye than with misfortune. Evil eye still has a duration which you can extend even if they make their save.

Just found both at the d20pfsrd, and they both are awesome! Accursed can be taken at first, but Split sadly is a 10th or higher according to the site. Thanks for that tip.

So right now for feats I have received suggestions of Extra Hex, Accursed Hex, and Ability Focus ["X" Hex]. I want to debuff my enemies, but I also want to still be able to heal everyone at least once/day in dire need since I don't think we have a healer as of now. Evil Eye sounds really good, especially with Accursed Hex feat to practically ensure that an opponent is debuffed in someway for 1 to 3+Int mod rounds per thing I debuff. Maybe I should just go with Extra Hex to get Evil Eye in addition to my Healing, and Accursed Hex as my second feat?

Argh! Why do I have to make this so much harder then it needs to be? Its just a level 1 character for crying out loud!

Arbane
2011-09-07, 07:22 PM
Argh! Why do I have to make this so much harder then it needs to be? Its just a level 1 character for crying out loud!

Because level 1 characters are like melee'ers - not allowed to have nice things. :smallsmile:

Are the villagers you're guarding going to be fighting alongside you sometime? Consider the Fortune hex, too. (And I'd argue there's nothing malevolent about Misfortune - bringing disaster on the right people is an adventurer's JOB. :smallbiggrin: )

Igneel
2011-09-08, 11:17 AM
Alright, I got in contact with the GM and she was kind enough to state that she doesn't see anything 'evil' with a Witch that uses hexes like Misfortune, Evil Eye, or Cackle as long as its used for 'good' reasons.

So what I have now looks along these lines...
Hexes: Healing & Evil Eye
Feats: Extra Hex [Evil Eye] & Accursed Hex
Race: Human [+2 to Int]
Familiar: Museo the Thrush
Patron: Healing

Thank you all for all your help, with that I think I've got it from here.