PDA

View Full Version : Help for Magic Item Pricing

youthjab
2011-09-07, 02:21 PM
Hello all. I have a player who wants a cloak or bracers or gloves or something that will make any dagger he throws magical. At first he wants +1, but later I'm sure he'll want something scaling. does the item exist anywhere? I can't find it. If I homebrew something how much should it cost and how should it work?

He is making a dagger thrower so I can understand him wanting them to be magical, particularly at high levels.

Thank for any help!

Big Fau
2011-09-07, 02:47 PM
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades, MIC.

Gandariel
2011-09-07, 02:50 PM
Or he can just have his daggers become Returning...

Keld Denar
2011-09-07, 02:57 PM
Returning is dumb, given that the daggers return to your space (which means you can't move), and they don't come back until the start of your next turn (which means you need at least one per attack), AND if your hands are full, they drop to the ground (so you can only catch 2, assuming 2 arms).

Gauntlets of Infinite Blades is pretty much exactly what the OP is looking for. IIRC, it comes in different sizes too, from +1 to +5. You can't get special enhancements on them like Wounding, but thats still a better option than having to carry around 60 daggers and have to have your party wizard cast Chained Greater Magic Weapon 3 times to hit them all.

herrhauptmann
2011-09-07, 03:57 PM
Gauntlets of Infinite Blades is pretty much exactly what the OP is looking for. IIRC, it comes in different sizes too, from +1 to +5. You can't get special enhancements on them like Wounding, but thats still a better option than having to carry around 60 daggers and have to have your party wizard cast Chained Greater Magic Weapon 3 times to hit them all.

It does not come in different sizes, not that I can see in the MiC.
Seems to create normal nonMW daggers for 6500gp.
Has 5 charges/day, and you can choose to spend 1,2,or3 charges. Creating a +3 dagger, a +3 seeking, or a +3seeking bane dagger.

I love the MiC, but I hate how so many of the items it creates are X charges/day, spend 1-3 charges for different levels of effect.

Could he go bloodstorm blade from ToB?
Or perhaps find a cloak/glove that lets him replicate the BSB class abilities? I know some items replicate class abilities, and you could probably extrapolate the power of the BSB abilities using one or more of those existing ones as a base.
edit: Abilities I'm thinking of are Lightning Ricochet, Bloodwind Ricochet, and Blade storm at BSB 4,5, and 10 respectively.

Keld Denar
2011-09-07, 04:54 PM
Really? I think the 3 charge mechanic is one of the best things about the MIC. Like Healing Belt. You can use all 3 charges for an immediate boost, or you you can can dole them out 1 at a time for more longevity.

And my bad on the Gauntlets, I coulda swore there was something like that though...Jarlaxle had one, and his were +5 daggers (cause come on, it was freakin Jarlaxle!).