PDA

View Full Version : A clarification on a rule, and an odd problem I've been encountering.

Mystic Muse
2011-09-07, 10:26 PM
In the rules for oversized images it says this.

Posting Oversized Images
Giant pictures that stretch the screen are a bane to people trying to read the boards. Please link to files larger than 400pixels wide, or 500kb, rather than coding them into the post.

Other than that, there's no limit on the size. Is there also some sort of limit on height pictures should have as well? Other than not to be so big as to be un-viewable, or larger than 500kb as mentioned.

Second, I keep trying to find threads continuing the old Monster classes in the homebrew forum, but since there are only ten pages, and they only go back to August, I have to use the search to make sure I don't miss any. I found a few by searching for that in the title, but I know there are other threads that have titles that don't mention monsters or classes, so I tried entering in "Search posts" instead of "Search titles" However, each time I do this, all I get is a blank page, and this in my URL bar.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/search.php?do=process

That's it. Beyond that, nothing happens, and I'm not sure what the problem is. It's not a server error, or the server being too busy, because I can still open my control panel in another tab, or browse the rest of the forum. It just gives me that URL, and a blank white page.

Just trying to make sure the project stays alive if I can, or to potentially adopt dead projects if the creator is unwilling to continue, but would like to see their classes finished.

Serpentine
2011-09-07, 10:56 PM
I've been waiting for some acknowledgement of the bugginess of the search... Every time I bring it up I just get "use Google search!", which does absolutely nothing to fix the actual problem :smallannoyed:
In the rules for oversized images it says this.

Other than that, there's no limit on the size. Is there also some sort of limit on height pictures should have as well? Other than not to be so big as to be un-viewable, or larger than 500kb as mentioned.Well, the goal of the size limit is to stop the window side-scrolling, so I'd say not.

happyturtle
2011-09-08, 10:53 AM
No, it doesn't fix the bugginess of the built-in search, but it often helps the user asking the particular question.

In Google type in:

site:giantitp.com "monster classes"

Or use whatever other search terms you're looking for. It's super effective!

((Personally, I think just removing the search page with instructions for how to use google would be better than trying to fix the vbb search. It's never going to work as well as a purpose-built search engine. But since I'm not the admin and have no idea of the difficulty involved, I can't really complain if it doesn't happen. I'll just continue to direct people to google search when they need help finding things.))

Serpentine
2011-09-08, 11:32 AM
No, it doesn't fix the bugginess of the built-in search, but it often helps the user asking the particular question."Often", maybe, but certainly not as much as fixing the bug would, and it certainly isn't acknowledging or trying to fix the problem.
For example, it doesn't help me when I want to find a particular post by a particular person at a particular time in the past, as I not infrequently do.

Abrexa
2011-09-08, 11:35 AM
Second, I keep trying to find threads continuing the old Monster classes in the homebrew forum, but since there are only ten pages, and they only go back to August, I have to use the search to make sure I don't miss any.

On the bottom of the forum you can see 'display since' - click 'beginning' and it will cover more than August :smallsmile:

NerfTW
2011-09-09, 11:03 AM
"Often", maybe, but certainly not as much as fixing the bug would, and it certainly isn't acknowledging or trying to fix the problem.
For example, it doesn't help me when I want to find a particular post by a particular person at a particular time in the past, as I not infrequently do.

Are you willing to pay for a contractor to perform that fix? Because it's probably not something someone can do in their spare time. This is a free forum designed to promote the main comic, despite the other communities that have sprung up. You're not going to see professional level bug tracking and fixing here, especially something as non-essential (to the board's mission) as finding a specific post by a poster.

Elder Tsofu
2011-09-09, 01:45 PM
I don't think Serpentines willingness to pay for it has anything to do with an solution to the problem, NerfTW. The owner of the forums and the site haven't really been "enthusiastic" when donations have been brought up.
For understandable reasons.

Serpentine
2011-09-10, 04:44 AM
Mere acknowledgement would be a good start... And if we don't report bugs, how exactly are they going to get fixed at all? :smallconfused: Should we ignore them simply because it might be tricky to fix?

happyturtle
2011-09-10, 09:10 AM
A sticky post of Known Bugs and their status would probably be useful, at least as far as preventing many duplicate threads about the same problems. Except that this subforum already has so many stickies that it would likely get overlooked.