PDA

View Full Version : Best introductions of Practical Optimization?

theMycon
2011-09-07, 11:00 PM
If you wanted to introduce a friend to making an effective DnD character as quickly & painlessly as possible, how would YOU do it?

I'm looking for a single, one-off, best way to introduce someone to the concepts and basics of optimization. Ideally, one article or post. One full thread is acceptable, so long as it takes <1 hour to read.

My first instinct was Logic Ninja's Guide to Being Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002). It's a good choice. It tells you what classes are good what, how to do it, gives you options (but hands them to you on a silver platter), is doable with mostly core, and most importantly, it explains why direct damage is not the end-all be-all of DnD. It introduces them to the important of a subtle bonus. And it does it all with a sense of humor and very little crunch.

The mailman guide struck me as a particularly bad idea. It's a great character, but requires trudging through a dozen books, glosses over the basic theory of optimization, and is meant to show off, doing things that are Obviously powerful. It basically boils down to "who needs tier 1's when you can make the most ridiculously powerful tier 2 character ever who can 1-shot the world?"

What's y'alls opinion on the matter? How would you go about it?

Curious
2011-09-07, 11:08 PM
Hand him a Warblade and say, 'go to town?' :smalltongue:

Darrin
2011-09-08, 06:36 AM
I'm looking for a single, one-off, best way to introduce someone to the concepts and basics of optimization. Ideally, one article or post. One full thread is acceptable, so long as it takes <1 hour to read.

I'd start with one of the Warlock or Dragonfire Adept handbooks. Both classes play very well "out of the box" with only one or two sourcebooks, they don't need a lot of high-level optimization to be effective, and they can drill home the importance of battlefield control without completely swamping the player with an ungawdly amount of spells or metamagic shenanigans that they have to memorize.

TheJake
2011-09-08, 08:40 AM
Beguiler. Great spell list, spontaneous caster (so no confusion picking spells), awesome class figures without PrC dips, lots of skills, SAD and a solid tier 3, if not tier 2 IMHO.

Can't really go wrong.

- J.

LordBlades
2011-09-08, 08:59 AM
I'd start by dispelling the basic 'myths' of 3.5:

-all classes are created equal
-damage applied in non-absolute(as in doesn't one shot if you hit) quantities is 'good'.

Then I'd proceed to show him the tier list and the 'why each class is in it's tier' threads at BG.

This should give a basic understanding on what's 'strong' and 'weak' in this game and why.

DiBastet
2011-09-08, 09:07 AM
Solo's guide to barbarians was the first material I did show someone on optimization. All the core of optimization is there, however in a VERY funny tone. Then SSSSS (solo's guide to sorcerers) to introduce the difference of power in classes in the basic D&D. Bot hilarious.

Amphetryon
2011-09-08, 10:24 AM
He hasn't yet come along to pimp it himself, so I'll drop off Endarire's Seven (7) Facets of Character Optimization (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8338). It's a solid overview that doesn't restrict itself to a particular class, with links to more research.

Gnaeus
2011-09-08, 02:13 PM
The best I could come up with is in my signature.

Gavinfoxx
2011-09-08, 02:29 PM
The Ten Commandments of practical optimization?

Inferno
2011-09-08, 05:32 PM
The Dm who introduced me to the concept used put my groups party against our "linear guild" counterparts. He threw a party of adventurers at us, obviously below our level...and mopped the floor with us. Our party ninja faced a proper rogue/assassin. Our blaster sorcerer faced a wilder (caster in a breastplate OMG). I was the half elf Ranger (archer) and faced some Fighter/something with a bow build.
It was rather humiliating experience, but i think it was necessary.
I never tried to be Legolas again, the sorcerer never took EWP: Greatsword on a low str character with 1/2 BAB again, and the Ninja well...his luck only got worse from there.
Also my Ranger was the only actual PC death of the day.