PDA

View Full Version : Young Justice (Spoilers)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kpenguin
2011-09-08, 03:36 AM
Young Justice returns in one week! So I thought I'd put up a new thread for the show :smallsmile:

Anybody excited for this? I realize that episode 10 was leaked online months ago, but the fact that YJ is returning to the airwaves at all makes me excited. I'm really enjoying the show, having enjoyed everything Greg Weisman has worked on thus far, and I continue to be excited to see where the show is going.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm going to ask that we restrict discussion out-of-spoiler-tags to aired episodes only. Any leaked material, like episode 10 is now, or preview material should be discussed in spoiler tags.

Once Episode 10 airs in a week, we can start talking about that now, but I know some people have held off on watching it until it airs officially, a position I respect and one I think this thread should respect as well.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-08, 05:20 AM
I like the show. I have no idea where it's going since Weisman has like 18 plotlines going on. Let's see what I can remember, I might forget some things since it's been like seven months since new episodes aired.

So there's a mole in the group, which they seem to be pointing at Artemis, but that seems to obvious. I think it's Superboy, and he has some post hypnotic suggestions or something he doesn't know about from the cloning process. Which I actually think would be a nice season finale, spending the whole season of Kon becoming friends with everyone but then someone from The Light shows up and activates his conditioning and he goes to town on the rest of the team. Then after Young Justice breaks him out of it somehow and Kon has a massive guilt trip Superman finally starts acting like Superman and takes him to the Kent farm to recover.

The episode with Aqualad going to Atlantis, the giant thing frozen in the ice was most likely Starro the Conquerer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starro), and since they sent some of the remains to Star Labs, I'm pretty sure that's gonna come back and bite them in the butt.

I can't see the Helmet of Fate not being claimed by someone at some point. And Kent Nelson being voiced by Ed Asner? Awesome.

Artemis has some loyalty issues, which, if you're a big enough comic nerd, is cause she's Sportsmaster's daughter. And this show made Sportsmaster awesome, somehow.

All of the blatant foreshadowing of Robin becoming leader makes me think Aqualad is going to leave or die.

And the episode in Bialya ended with Boom Tubes. So Darkseid and Apokolips.

And apparently there is going to be an episode written by Peter David with Secret (http://i.imgur.com/nmWMH.jpg) in it. And that's awesome for anyone like me who read the Young Justice comics.

Sanguine
2011-09-08, 12:30 PM
Really looking forward to it. I think I might see about rewatching the episodes that have already aired.

Zevox
2011-09-08, 02:57 PM
Really looking forward to it. I think I might see about rewatching the episodes that have already aired.
You know, I should probably do that too. I've only seen each of them once, and most of that was so many months ago now...

Zevox

kpenguin
2011-09-10, 12:34 AM
As a side note, has anyone read those YJ spin-off comics? Not the DCU comics that the show is very loosely based off of, but the comics that are in-continuity with the show.

They any good?

Makari
2011-09-10, 01:55 AM
I am maybe a terrible person in that I have been steadily hooking anyone I can on Young Justice. First victims, my roommates. Next: the world? I can only hope.

Maybe if there's enough new interest they won't mess with the airing schedule again.

Not like I have the right to complain, I mean, I didn't even meet the show until Augustish. I can't even imagine what it's like for those of you who've been waiting since Marchish. o__o

(I know nothing about the comics, regrettably, but am definitely if dubiously interested. I'd similarly be curious to hear word on them.)

Elana
2011-09-10, 12:20 PM
As a side note, has anyone read those YJ spin-off comics? Not the DCU comics that the show is very loosely based off of, but the comics that are in-continuity with the show.

They any good?

I did, and from what I recall they weren't that bad

And I got from those comics that on Earth 16 the flashs didn't get their powers by insanely unlikely lightning hits. (Well Jay never got his powers this stupidly)

Instead both Barry and Wally had reproduced Jays original experiment and got their powers that way.
(I hope Jay learned his lesson and now locked the formula somewhere where nosy kids can't find it)

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-10, 12:47 PM
I never had a problem with how Barry got his powers, sometimes one in a million things happen. The problem was the Wally got them the exact same way. The exact same lab, next to the exact same rack of chemicals.

kpenguin
2011-09-10, 12:52 PM
Well, if the results of the event were duplicatable, then him being in the exact same lab with the exact same rack of chemicals would increase the the chance of a similar event with similar results happening.

Also, the Speed Force Did It

Elana
2011-09-11, 01:21 AM
Which is a weak explanation.
That also was retroactively invented 30 years later or so.

And they only had to come up with a new way as in the early days Jay was supposed to be from a different earth.

Now if you put them into the same continuity it makes sense that they copied the original experiment.

Especially considering that they needed an explanation for Wally, and the double strike of lightning was a bit much.

Lord Seth
2011-09-12, 02:51 AM
Maybe if there's enough new interest they won't mess with the airing schedule again.From my understanding, the reason for the lengthy hiatus was because the episodes weren't completed yet. Even if the show was topping American Idol in popularity, they can't air what they don't have.

kpenguin
2011-09-12, 04:15 AM
From my understanding, the reason for the lengthy hiatus was because the episodes weren't completed yet. Even if the show was topping American Idol in popularity, they can't air what they don't have.

This seems a bit untrue, given the updates Greg Weisman has been giving about the show's production.

As soon as May 12th, episodes 10 and 11 were ready to be aired (with episodes 12 and 13 in post-production). As soon as July 15, 10-15. As soon as the first of August? 10-18.

Weisman himself has said that the delays are not because of production slowness on his end, but because of decisions of the network.

Zevox
2011-09-12, 07:02 AM
From my understanding, the reason for the lengthy hiatus was because the episodes weren't completed yet. Even if the show was topping American Idol in popularity, they can't air what they don't have.
On top of what kpenguin said, episode 10 was leaked to the internet months ago, so not only has that one been ready, it somehow got out long before the show's resumption.

Zevox

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-12, 09:19 AM
On top of what kpenguin said, episode 10 was leaked to the internet months ago, so not only has that one been ready, it somehow got out long before the show's resumption.

ZevoxThe episode was accidently uploaded to the video section (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/youngjustice/video/index.html) of Young Justice's cartoon network page. It was only up for a few hours, but it was long enough for the internet to grab it.

Mando Knight
2011-09-16, 06:12 PM
Well, it officially aired tonight...
And I thought Mercy as a robot was a nice touch. And the Luthor/Ra's team-up.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-16, 06:36 PM
And I thought Mercy as a robot was a nice touch. And the Luthor/Ra's team-up.

Auuughh I Missed it! Noooo!:smallfrown: Stupid forgetfulness. And watching Justice League on youtube.:smallredface:

Starbuck_II
2011-09-16, 08:05 PM
I liked the episode. Especially the school time part.

Lord Seth
2011-09-16, 08:53 PM
And I thought Mercy as a robot was a nice touch. And the Luthor/Ra's team-up.Was she actually a robot? I thought it was just her arm that was robotic.
This seems a bit untrue, given the updates Greg Weisman has been giving about the show's production.

As soon as May 12th, episodes 10 and 11 were ready to be aired (with episodes 12 and 13 in post-production). As soon as July 15, 10-15. As soon as the first of August? 10-18.

Weisman himself has said that the delays are not because of production slowness on his end, but because of decisions of the network.
Cartoon Network likely wanted to have a good number of episodes ready before they aired them so they'd be able to air them on their own terms rather than airing one or two and then being forced to wait for the next one. And I can't blame them at all for that. So yeah, I do blame production slowness. Though, admittedly, it may be that Cartoon Network decided to start airing too early, rather than waiting for when they had a better quantity.

Mando Knight
2011-09-16, 09:48 PM
Was she actually a robot? I thought it was just her arm that was robotic.
I dunno. Luthor doesn't strike me as a man who goes by half-measures, though.

Either way, it's good to have a sort of subtle-evil-genius Luthor. Much as I like classically hammy villains, it's a guy like this that I see being the kind that holds onto corporate holdings despite being one of Big Blue's nemeses.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-16, 11:50 PM
Megan as a cheerleader is scaring me. Why is Superboy so bad at the logic anyway? Did he really think that kid was Power Ring?(Or whatever the kid is who has Green Lantern-like powers.)

GenericGuy
2011-09-17, 12:34 AM
Megan as a cheerleader is scaring me. Why is Superboy so bad at the logic anyway? Did he really think that kid was Power Ring?(Or whatever the kid is who has Green Lantern-like powers.)

He is only about 20 weeks old, and all the information downloaded into his head was specifically for his use as a weapon for the light against Superman. Which means any information on how interact socially comes from other costume wearing or insignia wearing people, all the information he has learned it he has learned in the last 4 weeks, and he is a teenager (not the most logical demographic:smalltongue:).

Mando Knight
2011-09-17, 12:36 AM
Did he really think that kid was Power Ring?[/COLOR]
Perhaps, perhaps not. Remember, he basically born and rapidly aged inside a test tube, so his conceptions of how society works are... a bit simplistic, to put it lightly.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-17, 12:39 AM
There was so many good things about this episode.

Roy being awesome. Sportsmaster being awesome. Luthor and Mercy being awesome. Ra's just being there is awesome.

Way too many kids at that high school appear to be superheros. And Snapper Carr is there.

Megan tried way to hard to hide the fact that she's actually a white Martian. "I'm totally a green Martian." If she had been talking to someone not Connor, they might actually pick up on it.

My favorite part was probably when Roy had tracked Cheshire and Sportsmaster back to there meeting place unnoticed and then Ra's comes out and spots him almost instantly. That's why he's the head of the League of Assassins.

Mando Knight
2011-09-17, 12:47 AM
Also,
I like the Ra's reveal. I was like, "Wait, is that? I think that's Ra's al Ghul..."

Then basically as soon as Red Arrow/Speedy/However-you-want-to-call-him spots him, I had a short little "Yay, I was right"/"Crap, I was right" moment right before Ra's looks directly at him. You don't just sneak up on a Batman villain, pal.

kpenguin
2011-09-17, 01:01 AM
Also,
I like the Ra's reveal. I was like, "Wait, is that? I think that's Ra's al Ghul..."

Then basically as soon as Red Arrow/Speedy/However-you-want-to-call-him spots him, I had a short little "Yay, I was right"/"Crap, I was right" moment right before Ra's looks directly at him. You don't just sneak up on a Batman villain, pal.

Even Bats himself doesn't get the drop on Ra's often

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-17, 01:09 AM
Ra's and Bats first meeting was Batman coming home and finding Ra's sitting in the Batcave like he owned the place.

Zevox
2011-09-17, 01:17 AM
So, exactly how many villains associated with "The Light" are we on now anyway? I count:

Cadmus
Those guys behind the Red Tornado-esque bot.
Kobra
Sportsmaster
The League of Shadows, lead by Ra's al Ghul
Cheshire
Black Manta
That psychic guy from the desert episode (don't recall him ever being named).
Darkseid, or someone else from Apokalypse (Boom Tubes from the end of the desert episode.)
Lex Luthor

Which is quite a list. In fact, I think the only villains we've seen so far that haven't been indicated to be involved with "The Light" were the scientist who created the superhero-copying bot and that "Lord of Chaos" kid and his lackey from Doctor Fate episode. And I wouldn't be surprised if the former was working for them.

Zevox

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-17, 01:31 AM
That psychic guy from the desert episode (don't recall him ever being named).
Psimon. I seem to recall him saying "Psimon says" in the episode, but unless you're watching with captions on it's pretty impossible to know there was a p there.

the scientist who created the superhero-copying bot Professor Ivo

"Lord of Chaos" kid and his lackey from Doctor Fate episode. Klarion, bum bum BUM, the Witch Boy.

Icicle, Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold are probably in the Light as well, seeing how Batman noticed it was odd that three ice themed villains were attacking simultaneously.

Vandal Savage could be in the Light. Well, unless Ra's already filled their quota on immortal sociopaths.

Zevox
2011-09-17, 01:44 AM
Icicle, Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold are probably in the Light as well, seeing how Batman noticed it was odd that three ice themed villains were attacking simultaneously.
Ah, so the one Green Arrow and Speedy handled was named Icicle. I'd never seen him before, and they didn't use his name.

Good point though, I'd forgotten about those three. Being as they haven't been mentioned since the first three minutes of the first episode, an easy thing to do.

Vandal Savage could be in the Light. Well, unless Ra's already filled their quota on immortal sociopaths.
:smallconfused: Um, based on what, exactly? He hasn't shown up in the show yet.

Zevox

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-17, 01:57 AM
Joke. Bad one I guess.

But now that I think about it, I can't remember any instances of Ra's and Savage interacting in comics. Huh.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-17, 03:40 AM
Joke. Bad one I guess.

But now that I think about it, I can't remember any instances of Ra's and Savage interacting in comics. Huh.

Why would they? All they have in common is "immortality". While talking about Savage though, how has he not been trapped under an avalanche for eternity yet? Or does that happen alot but someone digs him out accidentally/on purpose?

kpenguin
2011-09-17, 04:50 AM
:smallconfused: Um, based on what, exactly? He hasn't shown up in the show yet.

Zevox

There's a YJ associated action figure of him, though, which indicates that he'll at least be in the show. Same with Ra's.

Light member speculation away:

He's speculated to be L-1, since the silhouette somewhat matches his profile and the aforementioned action figure means he has some role in the show.

L-2 and L-3 are Ra's Al ghul and Lex Luthor respectively. They share the same voice as Ra's and Lex and match the profiles.

L-4 is voiced by Marina Sirtis, who is confirmed to be the future voice of Queen Bee. Queen Bee's profile from her brief appearance matches the silhouette. L-4's one voiced appearance was the episode dealing with Queen Bee's Bialya.

L-5 is voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who also voices Prince Orm. Orm is known in the comics to be Ocean Master and the silhouette matches Ocean Master's appearance. He was the one who addressed Blank Manta during Downtime.

L-6 has a French accent and a dome sillouhette. These two aspects indicate it is the Brain.

L-7 has yet to have spoken and his/her silhouette is.. odd. The inhumanly long neck and prongs on the head indicate something nonhuman. Current speculation is that L-7 is a white martian.

Mando Knight
2011-09-17, 11:19 AM
There's a YJ associated action figure of him, though, which indicates that he'll at least be in the show. Same with Ra's.

Light member speculation away:

He's speculated to be L-1, since the silhouette somewhat matches his profile and the aforementioned action figure means he has some role in the show.

L-2 and L-3 are Ra's Al ghul and Lex Luthor respectively. They share the same voice as Ra's and Lex and match the profiles.

L-4 is voiced by Marina Sirtis, who is confirmed to be the future voice of Queen Bee. Queen Bee's profile from her brief appearance matches the silhouette. L-4's one voiced appearance was the episode dealing with Queen Bee's Bialya.

L-5 is voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who also voices Prince Orm. Orm is known in the comics to be Ocean Master and the silhouette matches Ocean Master's appearance. He was the one who addressed Blank Manta during Downtime.

L-6 has a French accent and a dome sillouhette. These two aspects indicate it is the Brain.

L-7 has yet to have spoken and his/her silhouette is.. odd. The inhumanly long neck and prongs on the head indicate something nonhuman. Current speculation is that L-7 is a white martian.
Ooh, good going. I had suspected you could do that, but I'm not good enough at getting the comparisons going, since I mostly just watch when it airs and don't normally go back to review the episode.

Elrik
2011-09-17, 01:14 PM
Joke. Bad one I guess.

They did once, in an issue of Outsiders that I believe was released two years ago.

But I'm guessing the new DC reboot could erase that. Who knows.

I haven't been keepin up with YJ because I'm usually too busy to watch it on Fridays, but I'm probably going to start it up again so I can find out who the light are.

Lord Seth
2011-09-18, 01:30 AM
While talking about Savage though, how has he not been trapped under an avalanche for eternity yet?Why would he have been?

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-18, 01:34 AM
Why would he have been?

Cracked told me so! (Though if you cant kill him since he reforms from meteorite magics, why hasn't some REALLY pissed off guy who doesn't mind trapping people for eternity buried him and made it impossible for Savage to escape? He's a really evil guy but no one traps him in an old abandoned mineshaft?)

Devonix
2011-09-18, 08:29 AM
Cracked told me so! (Though if you cant kill him since he reforms from meteorite magics, why hasn't some REALLY pissed off guy who doesn't mind trapping people for eternity buried him and made it impossible for Savage to escape? He's a really evil guy but no one traps him in an old abandoned mineshaft?)

It was Cracked's reason why being immortal sucks. That eventually the possibility of you getting trapped somewhere reaches 100%
:smallconfused::smallconfused:

Devonix
2011-09-18, 08:30 AM
It was Cracked's reason why being immortal sucks. That eventually the possibility of you getting trapped somewhere reaches 100%
:smallconfused::smallconfused:

Don't forget he's also Cain or at least was I think thats being changed in the reboot

Lord Seth
2011-09-18, 09:58 AM
:smallconfused::smallconfused:Eventually. Savage has been around for a few thousand years. I find it hard to believe the odds have even reached 1%, let alone 100%.

Prime32
2011-09-18, 06:16 PM
Don't forget he's also Cain or at least was I think thats being changed in the rebootExcept that Cain already exists in DC canon (he lives in The Dreaming), so that doesn't make sense.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-18, 11:06 PM
Well, whether or not the Vertigo comics are a part of the main DC canon tends to vary.

For example the main DC universe has a whole bunch of Deaths that aren't a perky goth chick. Nekron, Black Racer, Black Flash, etc.

And aside from Cain Savage has also been Alexander the Great, Vlad the Impaler, Blackbeard and a bunch of others.

lord_khaine
2011-09-19, 06:47 AM
Eventually. Savage has been around for a few thousand years. I find it hard to believe the odds have even reached 1%, let alone 100%.

Also, if you dont go anywhere near places where avalances occur, then the risk wont ever go past 0%.

Also, if he ever actualy get stuck somewhere, then he does have a cult or something, that would go digging after him soonish.

Giggling Ghast
2011-09-19, 06:12 PM
After hearing that Greg Weisman is involved with Young Justice, I caught a couple episodes of this show. The animation's top notch. The stories are good. The VA is excellent. A terrific series, all in all.

So, when is it getting cancelled?

Zevox
2011-09-19, 07:05 PM
After hearing that Greg Weisman is involved with Young Justice, I caught a couple episodes of this show. The animation's top notch. The stories are good. The VA is excellent. A terrific series, all in all.

So, when is it getting cancelled?
Well, it's at least scheduled for a 20-episode second season, and we still have 16 left on season 1. So, not for a while at least.

Zevox

Devonix
2011-09-20, 06:47 AM
Except that Cain already exists in DC canon (he lives in The Dreaming), so that doesn't make sense.

Its complex. I all ways saw Cain in the Dreaming as the concept of Cain otherwise why would Abel be there as well.

Oh and Savage is Cain and also not Cain He didn't have the concept of being Cain until the church of crime fulfilled the prophesy. though then the mark of cain was returned to him and he was litteraly Cain walking the earth.

Also this was when Vertigo was still not quite part of DC cannon

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-20, 06:48 AM
Young Justice Joker looks awesome. So awesome.:smallcool:

Ok, I haven't seen this anywhere so I'm going to throw this theory out here. Superboy's teacher knows hes a superhero (was at Happy Harbor, and NONE OF THEM WERE WEARING COSTUMES then). Superboy doesn't even have glasses or "amnesia vision". He has an inside-out shirt. The teacher was in another episode too, not sure which one it was. He could just be a superhero-press secretary, or hero, but thats alot of work. Correcting work and hero-ing is hard. Does he have a name?

Elrik
2011-09-21, 12:33 AM
Young Justice Joker looks awesome. So awesome.:smallcool:

I agree, he looks young, but they manage to make him not look like a punk at the same time.

Based on the commercial I saw earlier today the voice actor they got was good too. From everyone that has voiced him, I usually don't think anyone besides Hamill is fit for the animated joker's voice.*

*Well, based on Under the Red Hood, either him or John Dimaggio.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-21, 06:59 AM
I agree, he looks young, but they manage to make him not look like a punk at the same time.

Based on the commercial I saw earlier today the voice actor they got was good too. From everyone that has voiced him, I usually don't think anyone besides Hamill is fit for the animated joker's voice.*

*Well, based on Under the Red Hood, either him or John Dimaggio.

When I found out Red Hood wasn't going to have Skywalker voice the Joker, I was sad. I got it anyway. I love it, Dimaggio is awesome.

Elrik
2011-09-21, 07:21 PM
When I found out Red Hood wasn't going to have Skywalker voice the Joker, I was sad. I got it anyway. I love it, Dimaggio is awesome.

Especially when he asks for a glass of water...

I actually didn't realize that John Dimaggio was even in Under the Red Hood until the flashback when the Red Hood/early Joker falls into the vat, sounded like a frightened Jake.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-21, 07:30 PM
Especially when he asks for a glass of water...

I actually didn't realize that John Dimaggio was even in Under the Red Hood until the flashback when the Red Hood/early Joker falls into the vat, sounded like a frightened Jake.

*eats a potato chip*...Can I have some water? *smash* *slice* *bam BAM-BAM BAM*... And I'll need some guys. Not these guys though, because well they're kinda dead.

Edit: Ok, the ending was a bit obvious.
Huge Strange. Tackled. Iceman. HUGO STRANGE! :smallcool:
I really like these interpretations of characters. Amanda Waller is badass. This has creeped out my happy shipping of Miss Martian and Superboy though. Yes, they are Southern, and your hinting incest. How wonderful...:smallyuk:

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-24, 01:01 AM
New episode.

Superboy and Miss Martian go undercover in Belle Reve Penitentiary. So many villain cameos.

It finally brings back that multiple ice villain plot thread from the first episode. And Amanda "The Wall" Waller was awesome. I also wonder why the Light wanted Riddler out of jail.

Sanguine
2011-09-24, 04:27 AM
I liked it.

It was good to see Superboy use his brain rather than just pound his problems into submission. I absolutely loved Icicle Junior's reaction to the kiss.

I'm not sure whether my relative ignorance of comic book characters was a boon or impediment here. On the one hand, there were tons of cameos that just went over my head. On the other, I didn't know the psychiatrist was a villain.

Also I watched it just a scant few minutes after watching Brave and the Bold. By the time I got used to Batman's suit he was gone.

kpenguin
2011-09-24, 08:14 AM
I too enjoyed this episode.

I also wonder why the Light wanted Riddler out of jail.

I actually get the feeling that Eddie Nigma escaping wasn't planned at all. Hugo seemed amusedly surprised when he spoke of it. I believe their real end goal was to get Hugo in the Warden's chair, with the breakout shaming Waller enough to be forced to resign. While the breakout failed, it was close enough to make Waller step down.

I do hope she shows up later. As leader of Checkmate or commanding the Suicide Squad or something.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-24, 12:26 PM
I too enjoyed this episode.

I actually get the feeling that Eddie Nigma escaping wasn't planned at all. Hugo seemed amusedly surprised when he spoke of it. I believe their real end goal was to get Hugo in the Warden's chair, with the breakout shaming Waller enough to be forced to resign. While the breakout failed, it was close enough to make Waller step down.

I do hope she shows up later. As leader of Checkmate or commanding the Suicide Squad or something.

So are all the villains on small doses of steroids? Hugo Strange. Tackled. Ice Senior. Was a crazy ass tackle too. :smallcool: Superboy and Miss Martian, now incestuous! Just to make the shippers uncomfortable!:smallbiggrin: I liked this episode alot, but seeing Riddler get picked on... you'd think Mr. Freeze would help out a friend! :smallwink: They did do a teamup SOMETIME right?/ships Waller and Strange???

Zevox
2011-09-24, 12:35 PM
Just caught the new episode on Youtube (was working when it aired).

For some reason I thought Hugo Strange's name was familiar when it was first given at the start there, but I still can't place it. The only thing that's coming to mind is Marvel's Doctor Strange, which obviously can't be it. Just what is his role in the DCU?

Good episode. Glad to see them revisiting the ice villain situation, and confirming their ties to The Light (which is getting ridiculous in how many villains it encompasses). I wonder what the point of getting Strange installed as the new Warden is, particularly since apparently it was more important than breaking the prisoners out of jail. Also wonder what role Riddler will have to play, since obviously his escape wouldn't have been mentioned if he isn't going to pop back up. I'd agree that it doesn't sound like he was part of The Light's plan, given how Strange and Icicle talked about it, which could make him an interesting wild card.

Seems every episode of the show just raises more questions about The Light. With more than half the season still to go that's fine, but I hope we start getting more answers than questions, say, as we approach episode 20 and up. For something as big as this seems to be I don't know if they can just spring all the answers on us in the last few episodes and have it not seem rushed.
Zevox

KnightDisciple
2011-09-24, 01:46 PM
Just caught the new episode on Youtube (was working when it aired).

For some reason I thought Hugo Strange's name was familiar when it was first given at the start there, but I still can't place it. The only thing that's coming to mind is Marvel's Doctor Strange, which obviously can't be it. Just what is his role in the DCU?

Good episode. Glad to see them revisiting the ice villain situation, and confirming their ties to The Light (which is getting ridiculous in how many villains it encompasses). I wonder what the point of getting Strange installed as the new Warden is, particularly since apparently it was more important than breaking the prisoners out of jail. Also wonder what role Riddler will have to play, since obviously his escape wouldn't have been mentioned if he isn't going to pop back up. I'd agree that it doesn't sound like he was part of The Light's plan, given how Strange and Icicle talked about it, which could make him an interesting wild card.

Seems every episode of the show just raises more questions about The Light. With more than half the season still to go that's fine, but I hope we start getting more answers than questions, say, as we approach episode 20 and up. For something as big as this seems to be I don't know if they can just spring all the answers on us in the last few episodes and have it not seem rushed.
Zevox

Hugo Strange is a long time Batman villain. (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hugo_Strange_(New_Earth)) He's going to be one of the big villains in Arkham City.

Zevox
2011-09-24, 01:52 PM
Hugo Strange is a long time Batman villain. (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hugo_Strange_(New_Earth)) He's going to be one of the big villains in Arkham City.
Huh. Must be a coincidence that his name sounds familiar to me then. Either that or it's because of the similarity to Doctor Strange. Or I have heard of him once and just remember unconsciously. Because he's certainly not consciously familiar to me reading over that wiki page.
Zevox

Mando Knight
2011-09-24, 03:10 PM
As soon as I saw Waller and Strange were in charge of Belle Reve, I knew Light was involved. Waller had previous connections to Cadmus, so I was wary of her, but Strange I was certain would end up being up to no good. Their (the Light's) plan didn't so much surprise me as much as it reminded me that I don't always see anywhere near deep enough into the game to guess the next move correctly.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 03:39 PM
Anyone catch last night's episode?

"Dude, that's your sister!"

:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-09-24, 04:09 PM
Anyone catch last night's episode?

"Dude, that's your sister!"

:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

What do you think our whispering behind grey boxes was all about?

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 04:16 PM
What do you think our whispering behind grey boxes was all about?

Something brothers and sisters do...or don't do.:smalleek:

Still, the line and context was hilarious!:smallbiggrin:

Sanguine
2011-09-24, 04:46 PM
Still, the line and context was hilarious!:smallbiggrin:

I quite agree.:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 04:51 PM
I quite agree.:smallbiggrin:

And let's not forget the following line:

"My dad is gonna kill me."

Sanguine
2011-09-24, 04:53 PM
And let's not forget the following line:

"My dad is gonna kill me."

Icicle Jr. was full of awesome. I actually felt a little sorry for him.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 04:54 PM
Icicle Jr. was full of awesome. I actually felt a little sorry for him.

He's the Sokka of the series.

Sanguine
2011-09-24, 04:56 PM
He's the Sokka of the series.

I didn't make that connection. But now that you bring it up...He totally is!

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 04:57 PM
I didn't make that connection. But now that you bring it up...He totally is!

I know right. They both even have a connection to ice.

Starbuck_II
2011-09-24, 05:02 PM
The morale of this episode? Incest is cool. :smallbiggrin: (jk)

Icicle Jr should return, I liked his attitude.

Dr.Epic
2011-09-24, 05:04 PM
The morale of this episode? Incest is cool. :smallbiggrin: (jk)

I learned that from the original Star Wars trilogy.:smallwink:

Icicle Jr should return, I liked his attitude.

Yeah he should.

Sanguine
2011-09-24, 05:12 PM
Jr. should most definitely return.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-09-25, 11:11 PM
Glad to see them revisiting the ice villain situation, and confirming their ties to The Light (which is getting ridiculous in how many villains it encompasses).[/spoiler]
ZevoxWell, to the best of our knowledge the only two people at the prison who knew about the Light are Strange and Icicle Sr.. Everyone else could have been under the impression that the breakout was the actual point and don't know anything about the Light at all.

Zevox
2011-09-25, 11:13 PM
Well, to the best of our knowledge the only two people at the prison who knew about the Light are Strange and Icicle Sr.. Everyone else could have been under the impression that the breakout was the actual point and don't know anything about the Light at all.
Nonetheless, being organized by Icicle Senior still means they were ultimately tied to the Light, even if they weren't aware of it. It would just mean they were manipulated rather than directly employed.
Zevox

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-25, 11:15 PM
Nonetheless, being organized by Icicle Senior still means they were ultimately tied to the Light, even if they weren't aware of it. It would just mean they were manipulated rather than directly employed.
Zevox

Villains never manipulate other people, what are you talking about? Is Hugo Strange on venom? How did he do that tackle??????:smallfurious:

Prime32
2011-09-26, 12:47 PM
Villains never manipulate other people, what are you talking about? Is Hugo Strange on venom? How did he do that tackle??????:smallfurious:Strange has done training similar to Batman.

kpenguin
2011-09-26, 12:50 PM
Also, if even if he didn't, he's a man who's fit and healthy who managed to catch another person off-guard. Icicle doesn't have super-strength or nobody-moves-the-blobness. Its reasonable that someone relatively healthy and strong could tackle him to the ground if he didn't see it coming.

Its also possible he was taking a fall, given Hugo and he were in cahoots.

PPA
2011-09-26, 02:53 PM
Well, yeah. Wasn't the whole break-out attempt a way to remove Waller and get Strange in charge of Belle-Reve? I mean, sure, if some cons actually managed to escape so much the better, but the show made it plain that getting Strange into the warden's chair was the goal. Icicle took the fall and Strange made himself look like a hero while Waller looked like she dropped the ball

Thialfi
2011-09-29, 11:34 AM
It isn't quite Justice League but it is nice to have a show I can enjoy with my son. We have the most recent episode DVR'd and haven't seen it yet.

With the mind reading Martian Manhunter and M'gann heavily involved with the team as well as the comic world's greatest scheming mind in Batman, my theories on who the mole is boil down to;

The mole is actually a Justice League plant designed to infiltrate their unknown enemies. The mole will gain the Light's trust by feeding them information that appears more damaging then it actually is in an attempt to uncover who they are and what they are intending.

Superboy is unknowingly the mole. His escape from Cadmus was allowed because somehow the Light is able to see and hear through his eyes. The loss of Superboy as a weapon was more than offset by the chance to know what the Justice League is planning.

Lord Seth
2011-09-29, 12:13 PM
My question is why in the world he'd actually tell them there was a mole. Isn't that the kind of information you'd want to, y'know, keep secret?

The Bushranger
2011-09-29, 04:18 PM
My personal opinion on The Mole is that

It is, in fact, Artemis - but the JL knows that, and she's been 'turned' as a double-agent, explaining the 'Green Arrow's neice' ruse.

Mando Knight
2011-09-29, 04:34 PM
My personal opinion on The Mole is that

It is, in fact, Artemis - but the JL knows that, and she's been 'turned' as a double-agent, explaining the 'Green Arrow's neice' ruse.
So she's a double-reverse quadruple agent?

The Bushranger
2011-09-29, 09:13 PM
No, just a double agent: the Light sent her to spy on YJ after they busted out Superboy and got on their radar, but she was caught/turned herself in to Green Arrow and Batman.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-30, 04:45 PM
I don't like this discussion of "double agent triple agent". Reminds me of Indiana Jones 4. :smalleek::smallfrown::smallfurious:

Artimis and Robin could use some interaction. Hope this is the one with The Joker. HE LOOKS SO AWESOME!!!! :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2011-09-30, 06:04 PM
I actually caught the episode when it aired for once. Well, most of it - missed the first five or six minutes due to not paying close enough attention to the time.

Due to that, quick question: did anything important happen in the opening that wasn't covered by Robin and Artemis' viewing of the security footage? That's about where I came in.

Anyway though, good episode. Great to see some development for Artemis. Surprised to find out Cheshire is her sister. Also, seriously did not see that ending coming. I wonder why Tornado didn't kill them if, as it seems, he was infected with some virus by the other robots?

This does also seem to point against Artemis being the Light's mole. Assuming the robots were from them (seems likely, since the last Red Tornado copy-cat bot was), she could have just let them win once Robin was incapacitated if she were working for them. Unless she's a double agent I suppose, but then she just probably blew her cover with the Light, since the robots will presumably report back on her actions.

Robin's tendency to make up words by removing prefix-like portions of other words is still annoying me, but I guess it's mandatory in any episode he has a significant role in, so I've just gotta learn to ignore it. Seriously though, "get turbed?" Ugh.
Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-09-30, 06:05 PM
"There's a secret passage behind one of these bookshelves."
"Really? How cliche."
"You should see the Bat-Cave."

:smallbiggrin:

Unfortunately I missed the rest of the episode. Got called away for dinner.:smallfrown:

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-30, 06:52 PM
Beginning of episode was just..oh.. I don't know.... Robin running up to Artemis the first day of school and taking a picture. Randomly. Then like, 14 hours later, popping up behind her when they are about to use a transporter tube thingey to the cave. And sounding the same. And risking his secret identity. And Batman's. Then they argue over who goes first (warp thingey is a phone booth :smallbiggrin:), find out cave is under attack,BAM title theme.
I liked the non-superpower emphasis on them. *ships*. Also, Cheshire and Artemis are adoptive sisters??? Look really different to be straight up sisters. (Ack family problems are NOT NECESSARY Superhero-teenage drama show!) And bad! I cant ship Red Arrow with Cheshire anymore! Artemis as the annoying sister-in-law RUINS IT ALL!

Mando Knight
2011-09-30, 07:22 PM
Seriously though, "get turbed?" Ugh.

It's get traught. As in distraught.

Zevox
2011-09-30, 07:29 PM
It's get traught. As in distraught.
Right, guess I forgot whether he changed "disturbed" or "distraught." Either way, it's just painful.
Zevox

GenericGuy
2011-09-30, 10:22 PM
Okay...
What happened to Artemis? when did she become an unsure of herself scaredy-cat, while under pressure?

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-30, 11:42 PM
What I'm wondering is why I seem to be the only one who cares that Artemis picked her one arrow and the massive amount of luck that shot was, instead of.. say.. Dr. Fate's Helmet. Which was RIGHT THERE. RIGHT. THERE. Supermagical powers=good! VERY GOOD! SAVE LIVES! DO IT MORE!:smallfurious:

Zevox
2011-10-01, 12:11 AM
What I'm wondering is why I seem to be the only one who cares that Artemis picked her one arrow and the massive amount of luck that shot was, instead of.. say.. Dr. Fate's Helmet. Which was RIGHT THERE. RIGHT. THERE. Supermagical powers=good! VERY GOOD! SAVE LIVES! DO IT MORE!:smallfurious:
I was wondering if she might do that too. Though then again, there's always the worry of Doctor Fate commandeering the first body that puts on the helmet, like he wanted to do with Kid Flash.
Zevox

The Bushranger
2011-10-01, 12:24 AM
Strictly speaking, that'd be Nabu commandeering the body, making the wearer into Doctor Fate. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2011-10-01, 12:31 AM
Yeah yeah, I don't know enough about Doctor Fate to remember the name of the entity involved I'm afraid. This show is the first I've seen of him in any detail.
Zevox

Elrik
2011-10-01, 01:04 AM
Probably the first episode I've seen since that episode with psymon (or whatever the guy with the visible brain is). I still can't personally feel like I care about any of the characters though, for some reason it's not the same as watching characters interact in Batman Beyond or Justice League/JL Unlimited.*

I liked it. Particularly enjoyed Artemis, I know Robin is, like, 14 but they've managed to make him annoying in this episode. Is he always like this in the cartoon? Anyway, love the dynamic between Atremis and her sister, probably the only character I find interesting in the core group of kids.

Still wish I could see more of the Light members, and I'm guessing Vandal Savage is either the leader or a high ranking member because they have a toy of him in the Young Justice line.

*I know, I know...probably nostalgia factor kicking in, and the fact that I haven't watched alot of YJ episodes compared to me seeing every Batman Beyond episode...It just doesn't feel like any of the characters feel fleshed out enough or given exciting/meaningful personality traits besides Artemis.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-01, 01:50 AM
Okay...
What happened to Artemis? when did she become an unsure of herself scaredy-cat, while under pressure?
Well to be fair, she was alone against two incredibly powered androids, had no weapons and no powers and her only friends were minutes away from dying. I can understand having a panic attack in a situation like that.

And poor Reddy. I hope T.O. Morrow doesn't mess with him too badly.

I also liked the Barbara Gordon cameo.

Sanguine
2011-10-01, 02:59 AM
Not the best episode. I agree with whoever said Robin was annoying here. I usually like Robin, but in this episode he kind of grated on my nerves. I also agree with Mutant Sheep in that I was expecting her to take the Helmet.

I also wondered. Why didn't Robin just stick a batarang in to complete the circuit? Are they still called batarangs when Robin uses them?

Hopeless
2011-10-01, 09:45 AM
Not the best episode. I agree with whoever said Robin was annoying here. I usually like Robin, but in this episode he kind of grated on my nerves. I also agree with Mutant Sheep in that I was expecting her to take the Helmet.

I also wondered. Why didn't Robin just stick a batarang in to complete the circuit? Are they still called batarangs when Robin uses them?

I suspect because its non-conductive, well thats the simple explanation anyway!

Starbuck_II
2011-10-01, 09:50 AM
I was wondering if she might do that too. Though then again, there's always the worry of Doctor Fate commandeering the first body that puts on the helmet, like he wanted to do with Kid Flash.
Zevox

Guess, free will more important than saving them for Artemis?

Barbara Gordon being there was awesome. So they went to the same school in this timeline?

The Bushranger
2011-10-01, 07:27 PM
Having watched the episode last night after logging off, my thoughts:

Pretty brazen, aren't you ****?

Artemis, you need either to choose a superhero name or ditch the mask. Using the same name for both your real identity and secret idenity won't fool anybody.

Hmm. That's...well, probably nothing. Specifically, that in every other instance of Zeta Beam transportation seen so far, the AI speaks the name of the person being transported and their ID number, then transports them. The phone booth, however, transported Artemis before naming and identifying her. Probably just an animation error, but the strict quality of everything else in the series is enough to make me wonder. Just a bit.

How did Artemis know the circuit had to be completed? I'd assumed Robin was talking to himself there. I guess they had an open com circuit?

As for the "WHY U NO TAKE FATE" questions, the answer is simple, IC and OOC. IC, does Artemis even know that the helmet does anything? ....wait, this is Kid Flash's souvenir, he's probably bragged to the heavens about it...but barring that, she wasn't even on the team at the time, was she? It's completely possible that for all she knows (again barring Wally's big mouth) it's just the top part of a shiny suit. OOC, Artemis doesn't have superpowers or use magic, so using it would be unsuited to her character. An arrow, however, would be expected to catch her eye...

...and I'll add that I'll give the production team mad props for having "Wally's Souvenir Shelf" be more than just window-dressing. It can be assumed now that everything on that shelf is a potential Chekov's Gun (Chekov's Armoury?).

And the ending...
:eek:
...who would have ever imagined the Mole was RED TORNADO?!

RedBeardJim
2011-10-01, 09:28 PM
The Bushranger:

Artemis was on the team at that time, I think it was her second episode. She gave Wally a hard time about keeping the helmet but still not believing in magic at the end of the ep.

Maxios
2011-10-02, 05:42 PM
I definently didn't think the mole was Red Tornado. I was thinking it'd be Superboy, and it'd turn out he has a chip of some sort implanted into his brain letting The Light see what he sees, and know what he knows.

Prime32
2011-10-02, 06:45 PM
Guys, the mole isn't Red Tornado. If he was the mole they wouldn't need to reprogram him. Also, I don't read a lot of DC comics but I'm assuming there's an earth elemental too?

And I still think Robin's wordplay is less annoying than "Hello Megan! *facepalm*". Megan's not even her name!

Zevox
2011-10-02, 07:53 PM
And I still think Robin's wordplay is less annoying than "Hello Megan! *facepalm*". Megan's not even her name!
Er, yes it is. That's the human-sounding version of her name she uses for her secret identity.

And yeah, I've gotta disagree. I'm not even particularly bothered by Megan's little catchphrase, but Robin making up words with no meaning and pretending they mean something - usually without even being clear on what that is - annoys me to no end.

Zevox

Mando Knight
2011-10-02, 08:09 PM
but Robin making up words with no meaning and pretending they mean something - usually without even being clear on what that is - annoys me to no end.
Neologisms are perfectly cromulent words.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-02, 10:24 PM
Guys, the mole isn't Red Tornado. If he was the mole they wouldn't need to reprogram him. Also, I don't read a lot of DC comics but I'm assuming there's an earth elemental too?

Hello Megan! Of course, it is what she is called. Superboy has a weird way of pronouncing it though. He says Meagan. Who the heck is that!

The Bushranger
2011-10-02, 10:33 PM
The Bushranger:

Artemis was on the team at that time, I think it was her second episode. She gave Wally a hard time about keeping the helmet but still not believing in magic at the end of the ep.

Ah, right. Thanks. Geez, that long break messes with the memory...

Still the OOC reasoning, though.

As for Red Tornado not being the mole becasue then why reprogram him, etc: they never said the mole knew they were the mole, did they?

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-02, 11:53 PM
Also, I don't read a lot of DC comics but I'm assuming there's an earth elemental too? I don't recall one. There's Red Tornado, Red Inferno and Red Torpedo, which I think is a stupid name and should have been Red Tsunami.

I definently didn't think the mole was Red Tornado. I was thinking it'd be Superboy, and it'd turn out he has a chip of some sort implanted into his brain letting The Light see what he sees, and know what he knows.Also, being a mole is actually Red Tornado's origin. But even knowing that I didn't suspect him, since I assumed it already happened.

The Bushranger
2011-10-03, 12:07 AM
Also, I don't read a lot of DC comics but I'm assuming there's an earth elemental too?

I don't recall one. There's Red Tornado, Red Inferno and Red Torpedo, which I think is a stupid name and should have been Red Tsunami.

Actually, there is: Red Volcano (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Volcano).

Flickerdart
2011-10-03, 12:12 AM
Isn't water conductive? I was expecting the water blast to close the circuit, but then it didn't which was all sorts of wtf.

Prime32
2011-10-03, 08:04 AM
Isn't water conductive? I was expecting the water blast to close the circuit, but then it didn't which was all sorts of wtf.I was expecting that too.

And back to Red Tornado, "there is a mole" is not the same thing as "there will be a mole". And Tornado just attacked the team and ran off anyway, making him useless for it.

The Bushranger
2011-10-05, 12:49 AM
Well...

Don't open the second spoiler unless you don't mind a future episode being spoiled as well as what's going on now: the upcoming episode "Humanity"...
...has its description on the show's Wikipedia page already:

The team and Zatanna are on the hunt for Red Tornado, determined to find out once and for all whether the robot was the mole.
So....yeah.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-07, 07:52 PM
That was cool. Ending of episode was funny. :smallbiggrin: French brain was just so stupidly silly. I almost thought the ape was Gorilla Grodd. :smallredface: Then I realized he'd have laughed at the inferior human methods, not run around with a minigun.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-07, 10:04 PM
I love Captain Marvel. Surprised he didn't try the Shazam move on the enemy (everytime he yells Shazam a bolt of lightning appears above him).

So he could attempt to yell while enemy jumping over him or something.
He once defeated a dude by saying it multiple times: if he was hit, he reverts to other form (if super hero form, then kid form). But the lighting hurts like actually being struck by lightning so it can defeat almost anything.

They did him well in the new episiode.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-07, 10:53 PM
I love Captain Marvel. Surprised he didn't try the Shazam move on the enemy (everytime he yells Shazam a bolt of lightning appears above him).

So he could attempt to yell while enemy jumping over him or something.
He once defeated a dude by saying it multiple times: if he was hit, he reverts to other form (if super hero form, then kid form). But the lighting hurts like actually being struck by lightning so it can defeat almost anything.

They did him well in the new episiode.

Yeah, I was expecting him to say it when he could talk but was otherwise immobilized. If it blew up the base, cool. If he turned back into Bill Batson, then the collar wouldn't fit anymore and he could say Shazam AGAIN, which would break the collar because its magic. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2011-10-08, 12:48 AM

Kingdom Come spoilers, if you don't read graphic novels...
He uses that on Superman. The lightning, being magic, actually hurts the Big Blue...

Elrik
2011-10-08, 02:05 AM
So, I didn't know the brain was going to make an appearance, but when I basically un muted my TV tonight and heard a french accent I was like, "Look, another villain I know from a previous DC show!"*

I also saw captain Marvel and a tiger and I thought, "they're going to make a Tawky Tawny reference, I just know it, by the end of this episode" and at the end I was happy that I wasn't wrong about that.

Captain Marvel needs to be explored more in the DC comics section of things, especially his villains (come on, he has a short, stalky scientist, a mind controlling worm, and a guy powered by satan)

Oh, and I loved it when Cap went home and talked about his day. Grown superhero acting like an excited ten year old. Awesome.
*He was in Teen Titans

Zevox
2011-10-08, 12:08 PM
Missed the episode last night, but caught it on a Youtube today.
Very good episode I'd say. The entire issue of having the team learn about the mole and react the way they did makes total sense, and was a good way to test Aqualad's leadership and the rest of the team's maturity. Though perhaps it shouldn't have been resolved in just a single episode, but on the flip side I guess that's better than dragging it out for too long.

And yeah, having Captain Marvel with the team was a great idea. I wonder how they'd react if they knew he was even younger than they are? :smallsmile:

Didn't recognize the villain myself, but eh, that's okay. For the most part the episode wasn't about him.
Zevox

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-08, 03:01 PM
I hate how EVERY superhero show has them (the heroes) overreact to a small problem when there is a perfectly logical reason behind it that the guy cant say because they wont listen to him. No, we must all be upset and not even ask if there is a reason. And then there is *turns green* I'm a pissed off mind reader. Meh, I guess I'll respect his privacy then, sounds fair and something a REASONABLE person would do.".:smallannoyed:

Zevox
2011-10-08, 10:49 PM
I hate how EVERY superhero show has them (the heroes) overreact to a small problem when there is a perfectly logical reason behind it that the guy cant say because they wont listen to him. No, we must all be upset and not even ask if there is a reason. And then there is *turns green* I'm a pissed off mind reader. Meh, I guess I'll respect his privacy then, sounds fair and something a REASONABLE person would do.".:smallannoyed:
I disagree, this makes total sense for the situation. As they said in the show, the entire reason they formed this team was due to being sick of being left out of the loop by the Justice League, and suddenly they learn that Aqualad was keeping them out of the loop about crucial information potentially related to a horrible attack they just suffered that nearly killed all of them? Of course they're going to react like that. That hits a major emotional cord at a moment when they're still reeling from nearly being killed.

And Miss Martian has learned not to mind read anyone except when necessary - that was covered in the first episode she was in, and she's stuck with it quite well. It shouldn't be a surprise that it's become her standard MO.
Zevox

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-08, 11:11 PM
I disagree, this makes total sense for the situation. As they said in the show, the entire reason they formed this team was due to being sick of being left out of the loop by the Justice League, and suddenly they learn that Aqualad was keeping them out of the loop about crucial information potentially related to a horrible attack they just suffered that nearly killed all of them? Of course they're going to react like that. That hits a major emotional cord at a moment when they're still reeling from nearly being killed.

And Miss Martian has learned not to mind read anyone except when necessary - that was covered in the first episode she was in, and she's stuck with it quite well. It shouldn't be a surprise that it's become her standard MO.
Zevox

I was less complaining about the teenagers taking something out of context as much as superhero team shows ALWAYS doing something like this and randomly going "I still dont trust you grrr" for some tiny little thing they had a perfectly reasonable reason to do.:smallmad:

yes, was covered in Happy Harbor. However, being pissed=being mad. Being mad=not caring about the guy who your mad at's privacy. If I could mindread and got massively pissed at someone for NOT trusting me, I'm taking more stuff they dont trust me with straight from the source. Also, grr.:smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2011-10-09, 04:27 PM
I also saw captain Marvel and a tiger and I thought, "they're going to make a Tawky Tawny reference, I just know it, by the end of this episode" and at the end I was happy that I wasn't wrong about that.
I have no idea who that is, I thought it was a Tony the Tiger reference.

The Planet of the Apes line was also amusing.

The Bushranger
2011-10-09, 05:35 PM
I thought it was a nice touch obliquely confirming the existience of Krypto in the Earth-16 universe.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-09, 06:17 PM
I hated the Apes reference. If you're going to censor out the damn, don't do it. :smallsigh: KF, I love ya, but you're killing me. :smallmad:

Elrik
2011-10-12, 12:41 AM
I have no idea who that is, I thought it was a Tony the Tiger reference.

The Planet of the Apes line was also amusing.

In the comics Tawky is a well mannered tiger that walks upright and dresses in a suit (sometimes a tuxedo) and he's well mannered and (wikipedia says) he can turn into a smilodon--

--and that's why DC needs to really take advantage of the Captain Marvel franchise.

lord_khaine
2011-10-12, 08:16 AM
Well, i must say i have been a fan of Tawky for a while, mostly due to his awesome quote (from Trials of Shazam i belive)

"Well, you do know what those who underestimate Tigers allways say, right?"
"what?"
"They scream "Oh God, help me, im being mauled to death by a tiger""

Brilliant :smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2011-10-14, 05:41 PM
So, watching the episode live this week. A question:
So, Zatarra is just a male version of Zatanna I'm guessing? Is he in the normal DC lineup, or did they decide to go rule 63 with Zatanna in the show's universe for some reason?
Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 05:44 PM
Watchin' the new episode. Haven't seen a full new episode in like 3 weeks. Been busy.

KnightDisciple
2011-10-14, 06:02 PM
So, watching the episode live this week. A question:
So, Zatarra is just a male version of Zatanna I'm guessing? Is he in the normal DC lineup, or did they decide to go rule 63 with Zatanna in the show's universe for some reason?
Zevox

I'm not live watching, but to answer your question:
He is an existing character (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Zatara_(New_Earth)), and is in fact Zatanna's father.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 06:17 PM
Anyone think the version of the Joker is kind of weak? I can't quite say why, but I think the depiction of him in the show is one of the worse.

Zevox
2011-10-14, 06:17 PM
I'm not live watching, but to answer your question:
He is an existing character (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Zatara_(New_Earth)), and is in fact Zatanna's father.
Huh, okay then.

On the episode:
Lots of fun this one. I think it's the first time the group has had a stand-up fight with some real supervillains, rather than assassins like Cheshire or powerless-but-skilled guys like Sportsmaster. Good action, and I like how the "Injustice League" was used as a ploy by the Light to make the heroes think they'd caught the conspiracy just as they were catching on to its existence.

Didn't see the Doctor Fate twist coming, I must say. I guess Aqualad makes the most sense for a member of the team to use the helmet, since he is trained in sorcery. He's not a suitable candidate for a permanent Doctor Fate though, and is fortunate that Fate let him go.

Also nice to know that Aqualad and Robin have caught on to Superboy and Miss Martian being a couple, while Kid Flash and Artemis haven't.

Oh, and Robin never made up any meaningless words in this one! Yay! I'm a happy camper there.

Anyone think the version of the Joker is kind of weak? I can't quite say why, but I think the depiction of him in the show is one of the worse.
*shrugs* I've never been a fan of the Joker to begin with, so I largely can't say. I did at least like one of his jokes though, the quasi-fourth-wall-break "that last one may not be a word."

Zevox

ThePhantasm
2011-10-14, 06:21 PM
This show is spectacular. Best superhero animation we've had since JLU at its height (Cadmus arc) in my opinion.

Mando Knight
2011-10-14, 06:49 PM
This show is spectacular. Best superhero animation we've had since JLU at its height (Cadmus arc) in my opinion.

I dunno... Brave and the Bold delivers so much concentrated Silver Age I don't know how I survived the Space Ghost opener.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-14, 07:18 PM
Dangit this is the ONE time I miss an episode live and its the one with Joker in it. :smallfrown::smallmad: Hurry up and get online episode! I wanna see Joker!!!:smallfurious: /agh

Space Ghost was hilarious. Aquaman cant count goons very well, can he. 100 isn't an ARMY, its a small gang.:smallbiggrin:

Jamin
2011-10-14, 07:36 PM
I dunno... Brave and the Bold delivers so much concentrated Silver Age I don't know how I survived the Space Ghost opener.

I hate The Brave and the Bold. It just feels like a step backwards in my opinion.

Big fan of YJ however, I also felt the joker was weak. Can't we make it a law that only Mark Hamil can play the joker.

Mando Knight
2011-10-14, 08:02 PM
I hate The Brave and the Bold. It just feels like a step backwards in my opinion.

A step backwards from what? (Other than from whatever age of comic books it is (apparently Modern (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheModernAgeOfComicBooks)?) back to a delightful distillation of and homage to the Silver Age (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSilverAgeOfComicBooks), up to and including the infamous issue covers (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:king-superman&catid=28:superdickery&Itemid=54).)

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-14, 08:13 PM
I love Brave and the Bold. OUTRAGEOUS Aquaman, and the "Joker's Son" episode.... damn scary. Damn damn scary. Anyone have a link to Young Justice online? I can never find reruns of any of the episodes on Cartoon Network. :smallfrown:

slayerx
2011-10-14, 08:49 PM
I think the problem is that he's under played. He has a certain lack of presence. He didn't really have any great dialogue or jokes and he was lacking a real killer laugh... there have been many jokers, but no matter how well they do, Hammil's joker laugh is what will always keep him on top. You want a good joker, you got to nail the laugh

Y'know I used to not care for brave and the bold... but then I found myself having trouble finding fault with a series that would gives us the DC heroes singing musical numbers, Abraham lincoln fighting a steam punk powered john wilk's booth, and a bird's of prey song written by Gail simone that never aired in the US because of all the innuendos... the show KNOWS how corny it is and knows just how to make the most of it to give people a good time; its just plain fun

I love Brave and the Bold. OUTRAGEOUS Aquaman, and the "Joker's Son" episode.... damn scary. Damn damn scary. Anyone have a link to Young Justice online? I can never find reruns of any of the episodes on Cartoon Network. :smallfrown:

You can just try google... really, its not all that hard to find episodes for newer shows

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-14, 09:35 PM
I know. Just takes a few hours for it to get up, and I want it 2 hours ago!:smallamused:

The Bushranger
2011-10-14, 09:38 PM
It'll probably be on Youtube tomorrow.

And if it's not Hamill, it's not The Joker. :smallfrown:

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-14, 10:07 PM
K, watched it. Was up at 8:00. :smalltongue:
I really liked Dimaggio's Joker, though Hamill had an epic voice, I never liked his Joker's FACE. Was kinda... I dont know, it changed alot and wasnt really that scary to me. The Batman Beyond Joker is my favorite though, Hamill sends shivers down my spine everytime I watch it.

On the episode, who was the guy talking at the end? Why is the stupid Witchboy a ringleader of the Light? And stupid French Brain too. I hope Lex kills those guys off soon, I don't really see them as leading villain awesome.
Good thing that the team noticed that Wally keeping Dr. Fate for no real reason was a BAD idea, or somebody would have died.:smallamused: What even gave KF the apparently completely true belief that Nabu would never let them go ever, could have been explained though. Nabu is known as a good guy for a reason.:smallannoyed:
Oh, yeah. ULTRA-HUMANITE SAY SOMETHING. YOU ARE AWESOME VILLAIN DO SOMETHING COOL.

On the Joker in show: Seems more like a guy who randomly quotes/paraphrases famous movies, though his Jokergas lines and apparent competency are quite awesome. Quite awesome and cool. Whose the guy whose talking talking at the end again, though?:smallconfused:
Fate is a bit of a drama queen.FATE HAS INTERVENED! :tongue:

Zevox
2011-10-14, 10:13 PM
What even gave KF the apparently completely true belief that Nabu would never let them go ever, could have been explained though. Nabu is known as a good guy for a reason.:smallannoyed:

That would be his personal experience with it, from the end of the Doctor Fate episode, when Nabu nearly refused to give him back control of his own body. Nabu was convinced that Doctor Fate was needed badly, and he did not want to return to being idle, at all. It was only by Kent pointing out Kid Flash's lack of magical talent and by promising to find a permanent new owner for the helmet that they convinced him to give Kid Flash back his body.

Given that, there was every reason to believe that he wouldn't surrender control of Aqualad, especially since Aqualad does possess an affinity for magic, negating one of the strongest arguments they had against him keeping control of Kid Flash.
Zevox

Mando Knight
2011-10-14, 11:40 PM
Why is the stupid Witchboy a ringleader of the Light?
Lord of Chaos (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Klarion_Bleak_%28Earth-16%29). Kind of a big deal.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-15, 12:26 AM
On the episode, who was the guy talking at the end? I assume it was Vandal Savage.

I loved all the hero cameos during the big fight. Plastic Man, Captain Atom, Guy friggin Gardner, Blue Devil. I can't place the chick with the purple glow or the guy who caught the helicopter though.

Also, pretty sweet Plan B.

Zevox
2011-10-15, 12:54 AM
Oh yes, I loved Guy's cameo during the Justice League vs giant plants fight. Flying around nice and leisurely, like floating on his back in a pool, while rescuing people - yeah, that's Guy all right. Plus it brings the Green Lantern count in the Justice League of this universe to 3, with Hal and John having been seen before. I wonder if Kyle will have a cameo sometime later to complete the set?
Zevox

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-15, 01:05 AM
Hopefully Klye and Alan Scott.

Oh man, if they had more people from the Justice Society besides Jay Garrick's cameo, that would be sweet.

Sanguine
2011-10-15, 09:10 AM
Hopefully Klye and Alan Scott.

Oh man, if they had more people from the Justice Society besides Jay Garrick's cameo, that would be sweet.

Weren't there quite a few in the first episode. Or maybe it was the second.

Flickerdart
2011-10-15, 10:06 AM
So who exactly are the Light? I recognize the Brain, Luthor and the little wizard kid who we saw before, but not anyone else. Luthor is the only one that doesn't look goofy though.

KnightDisciple
2011-10-15, 10:28 AM
I assume it was Vandal Savage.

I loved all the hero cameos during the big fight. Plastic Man, Captain Atom, Guy friggin Gardner, Blue Devil. I can't place the chick with the purple glow or the guy who caught the helicopter though.

Also, pretty sweet Plan B.The chick with the glow was Rocket (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Rocket), and the dude was Icon (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Augustus_Freeman_(Dakotaverse)).

So who exactly are the Light? I recognize the Brain, Luthor and the little wizard kid who we saw before, but not anyone else. Luthor is the only one that doesn't look goofy though.According to this (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/The_Light_(Earth-16)), and some of my recognition, The Light (possibly also now calling themselves "The Secret Society") has a roster of the following:
Vandal Savage
Ra's al Ghul
Alexander "Lex" Luthor
Queen Bee
Orm "Ocean Master" Marius
Brain
Klarion "the Witch Boy" Bleak

Which makes me wonder how they're going to keep focus on the kids. I mean, I think Young Justice is quite capable, but there's a point where, to me, it feels like it might start devaluing the older heroes if 6-7 teens win every major battle. Now, that said, I think this last episode did a pretty good job balancing it. The team held their own, but they needed backup from the League to totally stop the Injustice League.

Considering this Justice League has 3 Superman-level heroes (Superman himself, Captain Marvel, Icon), at least 3 Green Lanterns, and Martian Manhunter (who is likely at least a powerful shapeshifter and telepath, possibly also having powers nearly equaling Superman), let alone anyone else, Earth-16 is a world of heavy hitters. I hope Young Justice worries more about covert ops (they've been good on that so far, but I'm a bit cautious about where they're going with this Light plot).

That said, I also hope YJ gets power boosts. Adding one or two members would help, and poor Superboy getting some gentle boosts wouldn't hurt. It is hard to gauge how powerful the setting as a whole is, though.

Mando Knight
2011-10-15, 12:06 PM
It is hard to gauge how powerful the setting as a whole is, though.

It's DC, and it looks like all the stops have been pulled out with this Justice League, so I'd say the power level is sufficiently ridiculously high. They have teleportation systems, Batman has a Nighthawk-inspired Batplane, Robin carries enough explosives to level a supersized tree...

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 12:08 PM
I think the problem is that he's under played. He has a certain lack of presence. He didn't really have any great dialogue or jokes and he was lacking a real killer laugh... there have been many jokers, but no matter how well they do, Hammil's joker laugh is what will always keep him on top. You want a good joker, you got to nail the laugh

Yeah, I was getting that vibe too. The Joker from Brave and the Bold seems more terrifying and he's played for laughs mostly. I think he the writers are trying to hard to make him the Heath Ledger version (they even gave him a knife). He just doesn't have the right comedic-psychotic edge to him.

mootoall
2011-10-15, 12:17 PM
There's a reason Hamil is the best Joker. mARK HAMil.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 12:18 PM

Ledger was just straight up insane and creepy.:smalleek: That magic trick he did still gives me nightmares. I mean, where did it go?

Also, who/what was that big, white wolf that accompanied the heroes?:smallconfused:

Maxios
2011-10-15, 12:22 PM
My thoughts on the episode:
I thought it was good. I missed the last episode, but I know what happened thanks to this thread. Because of this, the first time I saw Zattara; I thought he was Alfred :smalltongue:.
I think the Joker looks pretty awesome, but I didn't like his character all that much. His voice souned a little too gravelly to me; and I didn't like his laugh all that much either.
I did however, like everything else in the episode.

^: It was Krypto.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 12:25 PM
Because of this, the first time I saw Zattara; I thought he was Alfred :smalltongue:.

Hey, yeah. Me too.

^: It was Krypto.

I thought he was a dog?:smallconfused:

The Bushranger
2011-10-15, 12:30 PM
(Since it's been a week, no spoiler boxes for last week's episode, I presume.)

The wolf is the one that 'followed Superboy home' after they defeated the Brain and Monsieur Mallah. He is not Krypto. (Kid Flash suggested naming him that; it was (a) roundly panned by the rest of the team, and (b) Miss Martian commented "besides, isn't that already taken?" indicating Krypto already exists in the Earth-16 continuity.)

As for who the wolf is (as opposed to who he isn't), I have no idea. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 12:44 PM
As for who the wolf is (as opposed to who he isn't), I have no idea. :smalltongue:

Really? He hasn't been in any earlier episodes? I've only caught a few so I assumed it was something I missed.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-15, 01:21 PM
He's probably just the Earth-16 take on Rex, the Wonder Dog (http://hallmarkshepherds.webs.com/rex_wonderdog._3.jpg).

Edit: And since those two heroes I couldn't recognize earlier are Milestone characters, does that mean Static might show up at some point?

The Bushranger
2011-10-15, 01:39 PM
Really? He hasn't been in any earlier episodes? I've only caught a few so I assumed it was something I missed.

Nope, he just got added to the show in the Captain Marvel episode. :smallsmile:

He's probably just the Earth-16 take on Rex, the Wonder Dog (http://hallmarkshepherds.webs.com/rex_wonderdog._3.jpg).

Edit: And since those two heroes I couldn't recognize earlier are Milestone characters, does that mean Static might show up at some point?

Heh - Rex does look likely there...

And Static would be a logical addition to the team, wouldn't he?

Mando Knight
2011-10-15, 01:45 PM
And Static would be a logical addition to the team, wouldn't he?

That would actually be pretty neat. Though he kinda would be muscling in on the existing heroes with his Do-Anything Lightning (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LightningCanDoAnything) powers.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 02:44 PM
Nope, he just got added to the show in the Captain Marvel episode. :smallsmile:

Yeah, that bugged me a little too in the episode. Captain Marvel didn't really do anything except eat some candy. Like I know the shows not about the adults superheroes, but he just sort stood around in that one scene and didn't even say anything. He just ate candy. I guess he helped battle the plants, but he didn't even say a thing in the scene where Batman was filling the characters in. It felt sort of odd.

slayerx
2011-10-15, 03:16 PM
Yeah, that bugged me a little too in the episode. Captain Marvel didn't really do anything except eat some candy. Like I know the shows not about the adults superheroes, but he just sort stood around in that one scene and didn't even say anything. He just ate candy. I guess he helped battle the plants, but he didn't even say a thing in the scene where Batman was filling the characters in. It felt sort of odd.

I think the point was to show he's still hanging around the team even when he's not their "den mother". Like he said in the previous episode he finds the young justice team to be way more fun then hanging around the league. He's not a member of the team, but don't be surprised if you see him hanging around them.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 03:18 PM
I think the point was to show he's still hanging around the team even when he's not their "den mother". Like he said in the previous episode he finds the young justice team to be way more fun then hanging around the league. He's not a member of the team, but don't be surprised if you see him hanging around them.

Shouldn't he be part of Young Justice? I mean, Billy Batson is a kid.:smallwink:

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-15, 04:39 PM
Shouldn't he be part of Young Justice? I mean, Billy Batson is a kid.:smallwink:

Not a teenager. So too young. :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2011-10-15, 06:00 PM

Got for that matter, I missed Black Atom at end of episode. Did he escape or was he captured too?

ThePhantasm
2011-10-15, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Joker's voice actor sucked. All the lines were delivered too humorlessly. He was trying too hard to be sinister, without realizing it is the Joker's twisted humor that makes him frightening. Plus, he didn't really have much of a laugh.

kpenguin
2011-10-15, 06:30 PM
I am pleased that all of my Light Member speculations came true except for

L-7, who I thought was going to be a white martian but turned out to be Klarion. I can't believe I missed that. The silhouette matches, even the long neck. Ah, well, 6/7 isn't bad at all.

Prime32
2011-10-15, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Joker's voice actor sucked. All the lines were delivered too humorlessly. He was trying too hard to be sinister, without realizing it is the Joker's twisted humor that makes him frightening. Plus, he didn't really have much of a laugh.At least there was a mention of multiple personalities, so he might act differently if he shows up again.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-15, 06:38 PM
I didn't hate the Joker, I just hate his lines. "Juggling my multipalh personalitiehs". No, you have ONE personality. And that one is the insane one. :smallannoyed: (Was he quoting random movies though? I got the vibe of a guy who makes random movie references to unknown movies from him.)

Prime32
2011-10-15, 06:48 PM
I didn't hate the Joker, I just hate his lines. "Juggling my multipalh personalitiehs". No, you have ONE personality. And that one is the insane one. :smallannoyed: (Was he quoting random movies though? I got the vibe of a guy who makes random movie references to unknown movies from him.)Eh, I believe it's canon that the Joker has multiple personalities, just not at the same time. It's why his behaviour varies so much over the years. (certainly not inconsistent writing :smalltongue:)

Mando Knight
2011-10-15, 06:51 PM
Yeah, Joker's voice actor sucked. All the lines were delivered too humorlessly. He was trying too hard to be sinister, without realizing it is the Joker's twisted humor that makes him frightening. Plus, he didn't really have much of a laugh.

Pretty much my sentiment. He should go to Joker-voice rehab and do more episodes to make up for this one. Why more? There was something that the casting director heard/saw that got the guy the role, he probably just needs to get into the Joker groove.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 07:33 PM
Not a teenager. So too young. :smalltongue:

Isn't he a teenager in some versions?

Got for that matter, I missed Black Atom at end of episode. Did he escape or was he captured too?

Pretty sure they were all captured.

Yeah, you got to have someone with the right laugh. That, and they were trying to make him too real. Like, at first I thought it was cool he had a knife, because that's what made the Heath Ledger Joker so creepy. But then I realized something: Nolan's Batman films all take place in a reality like our own. It's super realistic with no superpowers. They're aren't any ray guys or aliens or people that can hurl cars or fly so it makes sense he would carry a knife to torture people. In this reality, well, just pull a knife on Superman or any other member of the Justice League and tell me how it turns out for you. I mean, this isn't our reality. He should be carrying like a raygun or hand-buzzer that shoots out electricity.

Zevox
2011-10-15, 08:41 PM
I didn't hate the Joker, I just hate his lines. "Juggling my multipalh personalitiehs". No, you have ONE personality. And that one is the insane one. :smallannoyed:
Or that could mean that this version of the Joker actually does have multiple personalities. This is an alternate universe from the normal DCU or the previous DCAU, after all. And he did come off quite differently when confronting Robin than during the rest of his appearances in the episode.

Zevox

slayerx
2011-10-15, 08:44 PM
I didn't hate the Joker, I just hate his lines. "Juggling my multipalh personalitiehs". No, you have ONE personality. And that one is the insane one. :smallannoyed: (Was he quoting random movies though? I got the vibe of a guy who makes random movie references to unknown movies from him.)

on another forum, someone pointed out that in the comics it is believe joker does have multiple personalities; its just no obvious like it is with villians like the ventriloquist. Multiple personalities is the reason his crimes vary so much; one day his robbing a bank, another day he's playing a violent prank, and other days he;'s trying to kill everyone in the city... Though i'm not sure I really buy it...

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 09:43 PM
I didn't hate the Joker, I just hate his lines. "Juggling my multipalh personalitiehs". No, you have ONE personality. And that one is the insane one. :smallannoyed:

That, or he was making an incredibly lame pun that didn't work.

(Was he quoting random movies though? I got the vibe of a guy who makes random movie references to unknown movies from him.)

No. There's already a supervillain that quotes films. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXDa3H-9eg&feature=related):smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-15, 09:51 PM
I watched about the first half of the first episode and my thought was "Wow, what a bunch of gits." I can understand their frustration at not being trusted as full members of the Justice League, but they are by no means showing they are in fact ready for said trust. At least that is my opinion, I didn't watch any more than that.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-15, 11:29 PM
I watched about the first half of the first episode and my thought was "Wow, what a bunch of gits." I can understand their frustration at not being trusted as full members of the Justice League, but they are by no means showing they are in fact ready for said trust. At least that is my opinion, I didn't watch any more than that.

Yeah, those teenaged people. They should be WAY more logical, huh. :smallwink: Its a superhero team show, almost all the drama is from supers misunderstanding each other and feeling sad that the other ones can
shoot lasers out of their ears. :smalltongue: Try more episodes. Please? :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-10-15, 11:56 PM

1.) They're teenagers. They're contrary by definition.
2.) They get better. Trust me.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-16, 12:32 AM
When? Because frankly, I am not sure I want to wait long enough to see it happen. Justice League and Justice League Unlimited characters had their disagreements, but they still felt like heroes.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-16, 12:33 AM
Pretty much my sentiment. He should go to Joker-voice rehab and do more episodes to make up for this one. Why more? There was something that the casting director heard/saw that got the guy the role, he probably just needs to get into the Joker groove.The Joker's voice actor was Brent Spiner, aka Mr. Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. And Greg Weisman had previously used about 90% of the Next Gen cast in Gargoyles (http://i.imgur.com/ZmoHH.gif), so I assume he just asked Brent if he wanted a job.

Elrik
2011-10-16, 12:52 AM

HOLY CHRIST I NEVER NOTICED THAT!

I feel stupid :smallsigh:.

Agree though, I'm not even saying it in a "he was the joker I grew up with" way. He brings this feeling of a mentally disturbed and bitter comedian, exactly what I like in the joker.

Heath Ledger was great though, only thing I honestly liked out of Dark Knight, after seeing it a few more times.

Regarding last nights episode, I didn't watch it.:smallfrown:

Based on the summaries I've read though:

So, Vandal Savage is the leader? Or, is he just in an equal partnership with the other six? I noticed Klarion was one of the light members, which took me by suprise (I haven't been keeping track of the show to be honest).

Sometime I think Darkseid or Brainiac will just pop up and be the last guy, it seems like one of these two are always the last guy.

Mando Knight
2011-10-16, 07:44 AM
The Joker's voice actor was Brent Spiner, aka Mr. Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Oh, it was Spiner? Yeah, give him time. It may take him a bit to get to the point where he's a good Joker, but he's got the potential.

RedBeardJim
2011-10-16, 10:41 AM

Maybe Rob Lowe's too expensive for fifteen seconds of dialogue. *shrug*. None of the adult heroes had lines except for Zatara and Batman.

Flickerdart
2011-10-16, 09:11 PM
Isn't it kind of weird to give the psychotic clown to a guy best known for playing a robot?

The Bushranger
2011-10-16, 10:00 PM
You know, once I saw it commented in YouTube comments, I had to agree:

Earth-16 Joker looks remarkably like David Tennant. :smalleek:

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-16, 10:09 PM
Isn't it kind of weird to give the psychotic clown to a guy best known for playing a robot?
It worked well in Red Hood. Demaggio was really good, did the scariness AND the creepy comedy really well.

You know, once I saw it commented in YouTube comments, I had to agree:

Earth-16 Joker looks remarkably like David Tennant. :smalleek:

:smalleek: He.. does....

9mm
2011-10-17, 12:20 AM
When? Because frankly, I am not sure I want to wait long enough to see it happen. Justice League and Justice League Unlimited characters had their disagreements, but they still felt like heroes.

If they didn't feel like heroes to you I don't know what to say; I mean they were told essentially "hey we know you've been running around fighting crime with us for years, so it's time to show you around a club house you can't be part of!" I wouldn't care who they were, anyone would be pissed at that kind of treatment; which is why Speedy, the eldest of the 4, quit on the spot. Plus given the range of experience all of them have under their belt. Robin is flat out stated as having been in the hero business for 4 years; they may not have been league quality, but "can't do anything without a chaperone" they most certainly weren't.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-21, 06:14 PM
...Proper Terminology. Meatbags. YES RED VOLCANO IS AWESOME. Also, Zatanna/Robin. :smallbiggrin:

T.O. Morrow's android with his memories NOT being supported by the Light was nice. Again, Zatanna/Robin. :smalltongue:

Batman:Aquaman as the heroes was creepy, but awesome. Him as the Music Meister. Yes. The song was cool too.

Zevox
2011-10-21, 06:16 PM
I really liked young Zatanna. Wish she could join up as a permanent member of the group, honestly.

Beyond that, eh, okay episode, but nothing I have much praise for. The whole thing with androids wanting to be human and discovering they can be heroes even if they're not just seems a little too cliche to me.
Zevox

GenericGuy
2011-10-21, 09:09 PM
Looks like Zatanna will be the female magic user instead of Raven, I wonder if the Teen Titans fanatics will count this as further proof of the shows inferiority to the Teen Titans cartoon.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-21, 10:26 PM
Looks like Zatanna will be the female magic user instead of Raven, I wonder if the Teen Titans fanatics will count this as further proof of the shows inferiority to the Teen Titans cartoon.

I really liked Teen Titans. But ugh, Starfire is so... not the same in comics. She looks like a ex Yellow Lantern Corp member, ex because she was just that stupid of a character.:smallannoyed:

GenericGuy
2011-10-21, 10:47 PM
I really liked Teen Titans. But ugh, Starfire is so... not the same in comics. She looks like a ex Yellow Lantern Corp member, ex because she was just that stupid of a character.:smallannoyed:

Yeah, I dont think Starfire is going to be showing up in this series, alien girl lost in human culture treads on Miss Martian's toes. But if M'gann(sp?) is the spy...

ThePhantasm
2011-10-22, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I dont think Starfire is going to be showing up in this series, alien girl lost in human culture treads on Miss Martian's toes. But if M'gann(sp?) is the spy...

I thought Red Tornado was already revealed as the spy / mole? Is there still another?

I can't really see how M'gann could be the spy...

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 09:57 AM
...Proper Terminology. Meatbags. YES RED VOLCANO IS AWESOME. Also, Zatanna/Robin. :smallbiggrin:

T.O. Morrow's android with his memories NOT being supported by the Light was nice. Again, Zatanna/Robin. :smalltongue:

Batman:Aquaman as the heroes was creepy, but awesome. Him as the Music Meister. Yes. The song was cool too.

Somehow I doubt The Light would support Morrow's plan to kill everything on Earth. It seems like a silly thing to do if you plan to rule it or whatnot.

I thought Red Tornado was already revealed as the spy / mole? Is there still another?

I can't really see how M'gann could be the spy...
It was revealed in yesterday's episode that Tornado left so that Torpedo and Inferno would stop attacking, and was not the mole.

Zevox
2011-10-22, 10:22 AM
It was revealed in yesterday's episode that Tornado left so that Torpedo and Inferno would stop attacking, and was not the mole.
Besides, with the Reds and their creator unconnected to the Light, it's kind of impossible for him to be the mole.
Zevox

ThePhantasm
2011-10-22, 01:55 PM

Ok, I just watched the episode. Sorry, I was one behind. Thought it was a great one, especially the soundtrack. Weird though that the team acted like the JL (except for Red Tornado) wouldn't trust them, when Black Canary exuded nothing but trust for the team throughout the episode.

Hope Zatanna becomes a permanent member of the team. She didn't even get to do much here, unfortunately.

Flickerdart
2011-10-22, 05:43 PM
Besides, with the Reds and their creator unconnected to the Light, it's kind of impossible for him to be the mole.
Zevox
Why? Nothing stops The Light from having bugged Tornado without Morrow's knowing/caring.

The Bushranger
2011-10-22, 06:58 PM
Let's set the cat amongst the pigeons here...

...is it possible that Robin is the mole?

Dr.Epic
2011-10-22, 07:02 PM
Caught last night's episode and was pleased with it. A little bit darker than the others. Also, liked the brick joke at the end:

Are they coming out to play?

Classic!:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-10-23, 12:37 AM

...You realize that this Robin is Grayson, not Todd, right? As in, the Robin (up until he becomes Nightwing, at least)? As in, one of the few characters that I like as inheritors of the Bat Mantle? (The only other one that comes to mind right now is Terry McGinnis. Because he was voiced by Will Friedle and fought evil in cyberpunk!Gotham.)

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-23, 12:40 AM
...You realize that this Robin is Grayson, not Todd, right? As in, the Robin (up until he becomes Nightwing, at least)? As in, one of the few characters that I like as inheritors of the Bat Mantle? (The only other one that comes to mind right now is Terry McGinnis. Because he was voiced by Will Friedle and fought evil in cyberpunk!Gotham.)

He was Damien Wayne. BEFORE Damien Wayne. He was Batman. After Batman. He fought the Joker. In the future.

Terry McGinnis-The story of a punk who needs a supersuit to do anything right

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-10-23, 02:16 AM
I want to have a time travel episode with the JSA.

And I laughed when Red Volcanco said "meatbags", it was very HK-47 of him.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-23, 04:14 AM
And I laughed when Red Volcanco said "meatbags", it was very HK-47 of him.

I thought it was very Bender of him.

Bite my volcanic, metal ass.

Starbuck_II
2011-10-23, 11:19 AM

Nah, it was Wally the whole time. I mean, doesn't he act a little too much like himself lately?

Flickerdart
2011-10-23, 01:11 PM
Nah, it was Wally the whole time. I mean, doesn't he act a little too much like himself lately?
I'm tempted to say Wally as well. The whole souvenir thing is an excellent way to introduce all sorts of fun stuff into the cave, so he's either malicious or just really dumb.

ThePhantasm
2011-10-24, 11:21 AM
I think Superboy is the mole if anyone. They've hinted in several episodes that there is more to his past. Maybe he doesn't even know he is the mole. Lets not forget he was being engineered by the villains - perhaps they can control him still somehow. He also definitely has a dark side to him, more so than the other characters. And if he is the mole he would be a formidable threat.

The Bushranger
2011-10-24, 05:59 PM
"If anyone" - I wondered that, too (Sportsmaster just deciding to try and psych out the team) but I'm pretty sure The Light itself stated they had a mole.

Cheesegear
2011-10-25, 04:06 AM
So, because of this thread, I decided to get into the show. It's very good, for reasons I'm sure everyone already watches the show. Just one thing niggles at me everytime it comes on-screen.

Superman's treatment of Superboy...Doesn't feel like Superman. It shouldn't matter whether SB is SM's 'son' or not. SM's reaction to a troubled teenager has never been 'ignore him'. Especially because Clark was that troubled teenager at one point.

Even more annoying is that when Bruce sees Robin upset, Bruce's reaction is to spend time with the kid (play Basketball). So, I know the writers know how it's done.

ThePhantasm
2011-10-25, 05:16 AM
So, because of this thread, I decided to get into the show. It's very good, for reasons I'm sure everyone already watches the show. Just one thing niggles at me everytime it comes on-screen.

Superman's treatment of Superboy...Doesn't feel like Superman. It shouldn't matter whether SB is SM's 'son' or not. SM's reaction to a troubled teenager has never been 'ignore him'. Especially because Clark was that troubled teenager at one point.

Even more annoying is that when Bruce sees Robin upset, Bruce's reaction is to spend time with the kid (play Basketball). So, I know the writers know how it's done.

The point is that Bruce has dealt with kids for a long while. Superman hasn't. Just because someone went through the same things when they were a kid doesn't mean they know how to address it from the mentor side when it comes time. Add to that the fact that Superman was raised from birth in a normal American family. Superboy doesn't have those young-age laying of foundations... he is a bit more troubled as a result.

I suspect Superman is going to come around. I don't mind that he is struggling with this. I enjoy seeing Superman struggling every now and then instead of simply being perfect all the time. I know he'll eventually come around and do the right thing, because he's Superman. But for now it makes for interesting characters for him to be a bit standoffish. Plus it adds layers to Bruce / Clark friendship now that Bruce is giving him advice on being a mentor.

The Bushranger
2011-10-25, 02:36 PM
There's also the fact that Supes is, no doubt (and understanderably), a bit freaked out by the fact that Connor is a clone of himself, so he's basially looking into an age-distorting mirror when he looks at him...

9mm
2011-10-26, 04:10 PM
I think Superboy is the mole if anyone. They've hinted in several episodes that there is more to his past. Maybe he doesn't even know he is the mole. Lets not forget he was being engineered by the villains - perhaps they can control him still somehow. He also definitely has a dark side to him, more so than the other characters. And if he is the mole he would be a formidable threat.

It's hard to say; as they aren't following the Avengers cartoon formula which is a big mash up of classic stories from the comics over brand new stories and relationships; however a mole plot has been done twice in the Teen Titans comics and Superboy was the most recent one.

ThePhantasm
2011-11-02, 08:41 AM
Is there a new ep this week?

Callos_DeTerran
2011-11-02, 09:15 AM
Is there a new ep this week?

Yep! This Friday a new Young Justice and new Thundercats.

kamikasei
2011-11-02, 09:42 AM
I've been enjoying this show a lot. The more coherent feel they seem to be going for, and the implication of a lot of backstory that we just weren't witness to (e.g., most first appearances of a villain are not that villain's origin story) are an interesting change of pace from other DC animations. It doesn't hurt that the lineup reminds me of the 2003+ Teen Titans, which I also enjoyed. So far the only place it's really dropped the ball for me was the "skeptic Kid Flash" episode (and Kid Flash in general being... well, more of a creep than I think we're supposed to think he is). Well, and I thought their Joker was a bit weaksauce.

Captain Marvel as a big kid is awesome. And two episodes in a row now I've mistaken two different superintelligent gorillas for General Grodd. What is it with the DC universe and superintelligent apes? Don't any apes ever get uplifted to average intelligence?

Are they still called batarangs when Robin uses them?
They're called... wingdings. Yeah. (Actually, that might only be for Nightwing's gadgets.)

Also nice to know that Aqualad and Robin have caught on to Superboy and Miss Martian being a couple, while Kid Flash and Artemis haven't.
I think the implication of that scene was that Aqualad and Robin see Kid Flash and Artemis as a couple who aren't aware of it themselves yet - just as Aqualad said "I believe I knew it before they did" of Megan and Conner.

Yeah, you got to have someone with the right laugh. That, and they were trying to make him too real. Like, at first I thought it was cool he had a knife, because that's what made the Heath Ledger Joker so creepy. But then I realized something: Nolan's Batman films all take place in a reality like our own. It's super realistic with no superpowers. They're aren't any ray guys or aliens or people that can hurl cars or fly so it makes sense he would carry a knife to torture people. In this reality, well, just pull a knife on Superman or any other member of the Justice League and tell me how it turns out for you. I mean, this isn't our reality. He should be carrying like a raygun or hand-buzzer that shoots out electricity.
I'd say it's entirely fitting for the Joker to be a very scary guy who does horrible things to people using very simple tools with a smile on his face all the while. Superpowered gimmickry can work, but isn't necessary. He just shouldn't be trying to use a knife on Superman. And he didn't, IIRC (or Superboy or anyone similarly inadvisable).

Dr.Epic
2011-11-02, 10:36 AM
I'd say it's entirely fitting for the Joker to be a very scary guy who does horrible things to people using very simple tools with a smile on his face all the while. Superpowered gimmickry can work, but isn't necessary. He just shouldn't be trying to use a knife on Superman. And he didn't, IIRC (or Superboy or anyone similarly inadvisable).

But it's not effective. He can do better. Part of being a great character is being effective. Making an impact on their rival. How's he gonna do that with a knife against guys with actual powers or super high tech gear? Wouldn't it be all the more satisfying to see him pull out a huge ray guy and just blow up a building with a smile on his face. I mean, realism is not part of this series (we got aliens and robots) so why is he carrying around a realistic weapon? Sure, it's creepy, but it's only creepy in a gritty realism sense. You don't get that feel when he goes up against Robin who has a hologram computer built into his gloves. I'm just left thinking "this fight would be so much more intense if the Joker had some high tech of his own."

kamikasei
2011-11-02, 11:05 AM
I mean, realism is not part of this series (we got aliens and robots) so why is he carrying around a realistic weapon?
That's not how realism works. The presence of aliens and robots does not mean that a knife is not a lethal weapon (though perhaps not to an alien or robot). The absence of aliens and robots does not mean that a knife is an ideal weapon - never mind Superboy or Miss Martian, had Joker been facing a few soldiers with rifles and body armor his knife would have been quite sub-optimal. Joker was effective with the knife, unless I'm misremembering the scene - you say he doesn't seem threatening when up against Robin, I recall Robin seeming pretty threatened. If a knife was his only trick and he was trying to fight the entire League then yeah, he'd be ineffective, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't use a knife when it works.

Joker is not a tech or gadget guy. Joker's schtick is lethal comedy. I agree he should have ways to fight powerful enemies, but I'd say cleverly crazy plans and zany traps work better than ray guns or the like, and the lower-tech the better - don't blow up a building with a ray gun, bring it down with pre-placed demoltions charges that send up smiley-face fireworks. The fact that Joker doesn't need advanced resources to be dangerous is part of what makes him scary - and when you think about it, an overclocked joy-buzzer or acid-spraying lapel flower aren't exactly high-tech either. What Joker is capable of pulling off in total is not the same as how he chooses to endanger people face-to-face.

Prime32
2011-11-02, 02:20 PM
They're called... wingdings. Yeah. (Actually, that might only be for Nightwing's gadgets.)Pretty sure that Robin's are birdarangs.

ThePhantasm
2011-11-02, 06:25 PM
The **** Grayson article on wikipedia mentions wing-dings (Nightwing), but Robin's gadgets are more fully detailed on the Tim Drake article, which confirms that Robin does use batarangs as Batman's sidekick.

The Bushranger
2011-11-02, 07:37 PM
<snip>

Totally agreed on this, 100%.
I'll add that while the Earth-16 Joker is, perhaps, weak when compared to the DCAU's, he is still very much Joker and a very effective Joker at that. He's just different. (I admit I was thrown for a loop though, when I saw he was voiced by Commander Data. :smalleek:)

Maxios
2011-11-02, 08:25 PM
But it's not effective. He can do better. Part of being a great character is being effective. Making an impact on their rival. How's he gonna do that with a knife against guys with actual powers or super high tech gear? Wouldn't it be all the more satisfying to see him pull out a huge ray guy and just blow up a building with a smile on his face. I mean, realism is not part of this series (we got aliens and robots) so why is he carrying around a realistic weapon? Sure, it's creepy, but it's only creepy in a gritty realism sense. You don't get that feel when he goes up against Robin who has a hologram computer built into his gloves. I'm just left thinking "this fight would be so much more intense if the Joker had some high tech of his own."

Would you rather have the Joker have a light-saber or a death ray :smalltongue:?

ThePhantasm
2011-11-03, 11:53 AM
Would you rather have the Joker have a light-saber or a death ray :smalltongue:?

Well, he never had anything like that, but he had some interesting Joker-themed tech in BTAS.

mootoall
2011-11-03, 02:17 PM
*Fondly remembers the spring-loaded punching bag gun*

RedBeardJim
2011-11-03, 08:54 PM
(I admit I was thrown for a loop though, when I saw he was voiced by Commander Data. :smalleek:)

It sounded a lot of the time like he was using his "Lore" voice.

Hands_Of_Blue
2011-11-03, 11:50 PM
He should have thrown some Puck in there.

Or they could have just had Alan Tudyk, who voices Green Arrow, do his Alpha from Dollhouse.

Mutant Sheep
2011-11-03, 11:59 PM
I hated Poison Ivy's voice. It sounds JUST. LIKE. MISS. MARTIAN. :furious:

Giggling Ghast
2011-11-04, 02:29 AM
What is it with the DC universe and superintelligent apes? Don't any apes ever get uplifted to average intelligence?

Shockingly, Wikipedia has an article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_in_comics) about the prevalence of gorillas in DC comics.

Zevox
2011-11-04, 06:07 PM
So, we actually got a new episode this week.
Well, it was pretty obvious from early on that those beams weren't actually killing their targets. Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. Not sure why they tried the fake-out with Martian Manhunter "remembering" that the beams were disintegration, not teleportation, especially after Aqualad and Superboy's deaths had been added to that.

Still, didn't think they'd go the "it was all a dream" (or psychic coma/training exercise, as the case may be) route, so I guess there was that surprise. Still, it ends up feeling a bit like an excessive way to spend an episode basically just to tell us that Miss Martian's powers are far greater than they appear. Well, and to make the Kid Flash/Artemis pairing even more obvious I guess, given how much they focused on his reaction to her demise.

So yeah, eh. An okay episode I guess, but those kind of endings always leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Zevox

Mutant Sheep
2011-11-04, 07:05 PM
So, we actually got a new episode this week.
Well, it was pretty obvious from early on that those beams weren't actually killing their targets. Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. Not sure why they tried the fake-out with Martian Manhunter "remembering" that the beams were disintegration, not teleportation, especially after Aqualad and Superboy's deaths had been added to that.

Still, didn't think they'd go the "it was all a dream" (or psychic coma/training exercise, as the case may be) route, so I guess there was that surprise. Still, it ends up feeling a bit like an excessive way to spend an episode basically just to tell us that Miss Martian's powers are far greater than they appear. Well, and to make the Kid Flash/Artemis pairing even more obvious I guess, given how much they focused on his reaction to her demise.

So yeah, eh. An okay episode I guess, but those kind of endings always leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Zevox
I was expecting them to be teleporting (or time travel, personally) beams, like in The Death of Superman JLU episode(s). I was also expecting it would be the "all a dream" kind of ending as soon as... well.. the first 3 minutes, but the "Martian Psychic Powers=Screwy Mental Training" was a nice way to make the "dream exercise"-thingey seem almost-plausible. :smallbiggrin:

But them apparently NEEDING to tell us the emotional teenager (in martian years maturity level) has stronger emotions than the guy who has made a living out of being almost as cold as Batman in every animated DC thing ever was uneccesary. :smallannoyed: Seriously, SHE CAN PICK THINGS UP WITH HER MIND. Manhunter NEVER does that.:smallmad:

Zevox
2011-11-04, 07:21 PM
But them apparently NEEDING to tell us the emotional teenager (in martian years maturity level) has stronger emotions than the guy who has made a living out of being almost as cold as Batman in every animated DC thing ever was uneccesary. :smallannoyed:
Um, what? They told us that her powers were stronger than Martian Manhunter's (in overall potential). Her powers aren't her emotions, they're psychic and telekinetic. Don't know where you're getting that from.
Zevox

Mutant Sheep
2011-11-04, 07:29 PM
Um, what? They told us that her powers were stronger than Martian Manhunter's (in overall potential). Her powers aren't her emotions, they're psychic and telekinetic. Don't know where you're getting that from.
Zevox

Well, if she wasnt so emotional about everybody she knows dying, then she probably would have never overidden everybody's "This is training" thoughts. And in most things with telepathy I know of, emotions and telepathic ability tend to be linked in a really big way. Though that was my minor rambling, my main ramble is that she lifts things with her mind and Manhunter never does that in any DC thing I've seen, ever. :smalltongue: /can never decide to be serious or not

Zevox
2011-11-04, 07:32 PM
Well, if she wasnt so emotional about everybody she knows dying, then she probably would have never overidden everybody's "This is training" thoughts. And in most things with telepathy I know of, emotions and telepathic ability tend to be linked in a really big way. Though that was my minor rambling, my main ramble is that she lifts things with her mind and Manhunter never does that in any DC thing I've seen, ever. :smalltongue: /can never decide to be serious or not
Yes, that was why the latent strength of her powers came into play. The point there wasn't that she was emotional, but the strength of the powers that those emotions revealed.

And, er, why exactly is her having telekinesis a problem? That's a power that is often linked with telepathy in comics. And she isn't Martian Manhunter - it's not even clear if she's actually been changed to be a green Martian in this continuity, after her remark about white Martians a few episodes ago.
Zevox

Callos_DeTerran
2011-11-04, 11:17 PM
Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. [/spoiler]
Zevox

I wouldn't rely on this sentiment that they won't kill/remove the main cast in some way or another. I remember one the producers/director/something from the show stating in an interview that the team is actually going to be fairly fluid and there's likely to be at least one big 'death' this season.

This information came from TVTropes though so...grain of salt.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-05, 07:24 AM
"Superman has a Fortress of Solitude!?"

I don't know why, but that line really cracked me up. Also, I love there was an "S" on the front entrance to it. Like who else could it be? Guess he had to put it there so people would stop think it was Santa's workshop.

As for the episode as a whole:

Cliche, dumb it-was-just-a-dream endings are cliche...and dumb...and redundant statements are redundant.:smallannoyed:

Cheesegear
2011-11-06, 06:44 AM
So, disregarding the...plot...of the episode. Here's something that I was wondering the whole time;

The group's telepathy. Actual thing? Or simply an excuse for lazy animation? I feel that they used telepathy a little bit too much in the recent episode and it just felt lazy.

Jamin
2011-11-06, 08:03 AM
My dnd group will only ever talk if they are mentally connected somehow. So I don't find it odd at all. I liked this episode the team got to be very heroic.

Zevox
2011-11-06, 12:09 PM
So, disregarding the...plot...of the episode. Here's something that I was wondering the whole time;

The group's telepathy. Actual thing? Or simply an excuse for lazy animation? I feel that they used telepathy a little bit too much in the recent episode and it just felt lazy.
:smallconfused: Lazy animation? What? How does that make sense?

In any event, no, I don't think it's an an excuse for anything. It's one of Miss Martian's powers, it only makes sense that they'd make extensive use of it, especially considering they're more of a black ops type of superhero group than a traditional superhero team.

Zevox

9mm
2011-11-06, 12:22 PM

actual thing: it's a common superhero trope, if the team has a telepath they link up instead of using radios; faster and harder to disrupt.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-06, 02:23 PM
:smallconfused: Lazy animation? What? How does that make sense?

Animators don't have to make mouths move.

KnightDisciple
2011-11-06, 04:38 PM
Yeah, telepathic comms make sense, especially with (as pointed out) a "black ops" team.

As for the plot...I didn't really buy that they'd killed everyone off like that, so I wasn't totally shocked.

I think making it a training exercise gone wrong was an interesting angle; I was expecting "just a bad dream", or maybe some sort of dream-based superhero.

Incidentally, I didn't catch all the quick young hero cameos, but they were still fun! Maybe we'll see the Teen Titans popping up too?

As for Miss Martian, re-watch the episode. Martian Manhunter says that Miss Martian's telepathic mind was stronger than his. That's a fairly specific thing to say. Recall, J'onn's typically shown to have a lot of powers, sometimes up to the point of being "Green Superman". Even lacking things like eyebeams, YJ MM seems to at least have the "flying brick" powers down, and perhaps has better shapeshifting. M'gann's definitely not as physically powerful, but consider how easy it is for her to psychically link a half-dozen minds, two of which aren't human (Aqualad and Superboy), one of which is a hyper-accelerated human (Kid Flash), and two of which (Robin and Artemis) likely have a fair bit of mental discipline (good luck breaking into Batman's brain, or the brain of his apprentice). She acts like it's no trouble at all, and is basically a psychic switchboard. That's pretty impressive.
My guess? We'll see her develop a lot more mental-based tricks, and if we see Martian Manhunter more often, he'll be more physically powerful. That's how I'd approach it, were I on that writing staff, anyways.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-06, 04:59 PM
Yeah, telepathic comms make sense, especially with (as pointed out) a "black ops" team.

As for the plot...I didn't really buy that they'd killed everyone off like that, so I wasn't totally shocked.

I think making it a training exercise gone wrong was an interesting angle; I was expecting "just a bad dream", or maybe some sort of dream-based superhero.

Incidentally, I didn't catch all the quick young hero cameos, but they were still fun! Maybe we'll see the Teen Titans popping up too?

As for Miss Martian, re-watch the episode. Martian Manhunter says that Miss Martian's telepathic mind was stronger than his. That's a fairly specific thing to say. Recall, J'onn's typically shown to have a lot of powers, sometimes up to the point of being "Green Superman". Even lacking things like eyebeams, YJ MM seems to at least have the "flying brick" powers down, and perhaps has better shapeshifting. M'gann's definitely not as physically powerful, but consider how easy it is for her to psychically link a half-dozen minds, two of which aren't human (Aqualad and Superboy), one of which is a hyper-accelerated human (Kid Flash), and two of which (Robin and Artemis) likely have a fair bit of mental discipline (good luck breaking into Batman's brain, or the brain of his apprentice). She acts like it's no trouble at all, and is basically a psychic switchboard. That's pretty impressive.
My guess? We'll see her develop a lot more mental-based tricks, and if we see Martian Manhunter more often, he'll be more physically powerful. That's how I'd approach it, were I on that writing staff, anyways.

Still, it was a really weak and cliche twist. And as you say it wasn't that big of a shock and fairly predictable, they could have established it earlier on in the show. So rather than the drama and tension be destroying the aliens, it could be escaping the dream.

Cheesegear
2011-11-07, 02:29 AM
Animators don't have to make mouths move.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I understand that telepathy is amazing. Still seems lazy though.

Especially since at one point is was just one frame of Robin for a few seconds. Then one frame of KF, then the same frame of Robin again. It felt more like a Voice Over than Voice Acting.

RedBeardJim
2011-11-07, 06:46 AM
Especially since at one point is was just one frame of Robin for a few seconds. Then one frame of KF, then the same frame of Robin again. It felt more like a Voice Over than Voice Acting.

You know they do the voice acting before the animation, right?

ThePhantasm
2011-11-07, 06:47 AM

I don't see how that is related to his point?

Cheesegear
2011-11-07, 06:51 AM

Yeah. That makes it worse. Since you can animate, knowing what's being said and how long it takes. That's what I'm getting at. 'Telepathy' allows for lazy animation and I don't like it.

KnightDisciple
2011-11-07, 10:32 AM
Yeah. That makes it worse. Since you can animate, knowing what's being said and how long it takes. That's what I'm getting at. 'Telepathy' allows for lazy animation and I don't like it.

And yet, the practical reasons for them to do it, in-character, outweigh the "lazy" aspect.

And that's why I personally like it. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2011-11-07, 11:13 AM
And yet, the practical reasons for them to do it, in-character, outweigh the "lazy" aspect.
Indeed. This seems like an incredibly pointless complaint, given it would make less sense for them to not make use of this ability. Plus it's not like the animators have evinced any problems animating mouth movements in any of the many scenes where characters do speak normally.

Zevox

ThePhantasm
2011-11-07, 04:40 PM
I just watched the episode. Found it a bit... boring actually. I didn't buy at once that these people were dying. The beginning where the JL was dying off and no one seemed to care left a bad taste in my mouth, even though it was explained later. The ending wasn't a total cheat, since there were clues interspersed throughout, but it still felt cheap somehow.

Also there was no hand-to-hand combat, just superheroes vs. ships over and over. That got tiresome, as the battles were often one-sided. The fights just weren't interesting.

Only episode so far that I've really not cared for all that much.

Cheesegear
2011-11-08, 02:04 AM
Plus it's not like the animators have evinced any problems animating mouth movements in any of the many scenes where characters do speak normally.

I know. But, like I said earlier, I found it annoying when I was looking at the same frame for almost three seconds, switch to another frame, then back to the other frame which is still the same as before.

I haven't noticed it in other episodes. I've only noticed it in the recent one. But, obviously, the episode has left a lot to be desired anyway. Not all episodes can be winners.

I just want more Rob Lowe. :smallamused:

The Bushranger
2011-11-08, 02:24 AM
My personal opinion is, yeah, the "it was just a dream" thing is a trope, even an overdone trope, that everybody does once - but everybody does it, it's required. :smalltongue:

I, personally, hope we see Killer Frost again at some point.

Sanguine
2011-11-08, 02:26 AM
I just want more Rob Lowe. :smallamused:

I can agree with this sentiment. The whole complaining about telepathy thing makes no sense to me. But this, this I can support.

Connington
2011-11-08, 03:14 AM
Honestly, even if Young Justice was an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon and they really did the telepathy thing to cut down on animation costs, it would still make sense for the characters and I'd think it was cool.

Mando Knight
2011-11-09, 12:44 PM
My personal opinion is, yeah, the "it was just a dream" thing is a trope, even an overdone trope, that everybody does once - but everybody does it, it's required. :smalltongue:

Personally, I think that for their one free shot at "It was just a dream," they did it pretty well...