PDA

View Full Version : 10 ft. step as free action?

gamma4one
2011-09-08, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I just wonder if there is a way to do a 10 ft step as free action? (feat or item)

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-08, 07:19 AM
Not that I know of, but there are ways of moving 10 ft. without using a move action.
Check out post 2 in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026) thread, specifically the 'can't touch this' build.

Runestar
2011-09-08, 07:33 AM
There is a white raven stance which lets you make 2 5-ft moves together, but most non-martial adepts can take the martial stance feat for it only at lv18.

MIC does have a few items which let you move as a swift (not free) action.

etrpgb
2011-09-08, 08:04 AM
Travel Devotion is almost what you need.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:06 AM
There's a training dummy in A&EG that lets you take 10ft. steps instead of 5ft. steps. Requires you to be a monk or UMD it, though.

Garagos
2011-09-08, 08:07 AM
I believe there is a rule in Oriental Adventures that allows you to make a Tumble check (unsure of the DC) to make a 10 ft. step in place of the normal 5 ft. step.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-09-08, 08:39 AM
I just made a custom item for it. I was trying to emulate the Kobold racial triat Shifty from 4e and my DM said that was too powerful and suggested 10 ft. step. Dunno how much it would be, it was given out as loot.

Cog
2011-09-08, 09:30 AM
There's a training dummy in A&EG that lets you take 10ft. steps instead of 5ft. steps. Requires you to be a monk or UMD it, though.
Though, due to the training rules for that item, you do need to make a whole lot of successful sequential UMD checks. Unless you've got +Yes on UMD, you need to be a monk.

Firechanter
2011-09-08, 09:33 AM
How about the Scout's Skirmish feature?

Greenish
2011-09-08, 09:36 AM
Though, due to the training rules for that item, you do need to make a whole lot of successful sequential UMD checks. Unless you've got +Yes on UMD, you need to be a monk.Pretty much, yeah. Though +19 UMD isn't unheard of, for skillmonkeys. +10 if you can take 10, so better become a Hardened Criminal. :smallwink:

[Edit]:
How about the Scout's Skirmish feature?That would give you a bit of damage once you can take the 10 ft. step, but it doesn't actually help you to do it.

Firechanter
2011-09-08, 09:43 AM
Ah, right. Then I may recommend looking at a homebrew feature of jiriku's Swift Hunter class:

Swift Hunter (Ex): At 3rd level, the swift hunter learns his eponymous ability, and gains a +5 ft bonus to his speed, a +5 competence bonus to Tumble checks, and a +1 competence bonus to initiative checks. With a DC 40 Tumble check, the swift hunter can move 10 feet as a “5-foot step” while also performing a full-round action during the round (such as a full attack).
These bonuses increase by a like amount for every five levels gained above 3rd.

Greenish
2011-09-08, 10:13 AM
With a DC 40 Tumble check, the swift hunter can move 10 feet as a “5-foot step”DC 40 Tumble check to take 10ft. step is, as already pointed out in this thread, from OA.

gamma4one
2011-09-08, 11:00 AM
Where is this training dummy? (page)

dextercorvia
2011-09-08, 11:03 AM
Where is this training dummy? (page)

p137. Sparring Dummy of the Master

Curious
2011-09-08, 11:04 AM
The Skirmisher ranger archetype on the PFSRD allows Rangers to take 2 5-ft steps as a free action, and you could take that White Raven Stance for a 3rd.

Person_Man
2011-09-08, 12:08 PM
drakir referenced my "Can't Touch This" build, which is good option.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) covers all of your options in general. Assuming that you specifically want free action movement (and not Swift/Immediate Action movement, or Time Stop like effects), your options are:

1: Buy a wagon or chariot. Have an animal companion, special mount, hired NPC, or party member pull it on their turn.
1: Evasive Reflexes feat (grants 5 ft step instead of AoO, Tome of Battle)
4: Greaves of Aundair (+10 speed, and 3/day "immediately take a move action", but you're dazed until the end of your next turn. Forge of War p. 124).
5: Formation Expert feat (free move when an ally in a line drops. Hint: Have an ally Summon many weak creatures. Complete Warrior)
5: Mobile Spellcasting feat (free move when you cast a Standard Action spell if you make a Concentration check. Complete Adventurer p 111)
5ish: Sparring Dummy of the Master (10 ft step instead of 5, requires 1 level of Monk, Arms and Equipment Guide)
6: Sidestep feat (5 ft step after any AoO, once per round, Miniatures Handbook)
7ish: Magic Roller Skates (10 ft step instead of 5, 3 per day, Online (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20061120a))
8: Factotum 8 (extra Standard Action, Dungeonscape)
8: Evasive Skitter: Kobold Rogue 8 alternate class feature (Free movement outside of blast radius of Reflex Save spell/effect. Races of the Dragon).
9: Press the Advantage White Raven stance (extra 5 ft step, Tome of Battle)
10ish: DC 40 Tumble Check (10 ft step, Oriental Adventures)
12: Elocator (extra 5 ft step, Expanded Psionics Handbook)
15: Wolf Pack Tactics Tiger Claw stance (free 5 ft step with each successful melee attack).

There's a bunch of combos that come out of the above. The the most strait forward is included in the Can't Touch this build. Basically find a way to take multiple 5 and/or 10 ft steps, take Evasive Reflexes to grant you a 5 ft steps when in place of an AoO (and Combat Reflexes if you also want the option of hitting your enemy), and then get a big size/reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127732) and take a bunch of Attack of Opportunity triggers (reach, Hold the Line, Karmic Strike, Robilar's Gambit, Headlong Rush, Mage Slayer, Thicket of Blades, Knight abilities, etc). It makes it fairly difficult for any enemy to Charge you, because you move 10 feet to the right or left when the move into your threatened area, and a Charge has to be in a strait line, thus their Charge fails. It makes it difficult for anyone to make a Full Attack against you, because after their first hit against you, you get an AoO from Karmic Strike, and you use it to move away from their threatened area. And it makes it difficult for an enemy to move away from you, because most movement will provoke an AoO, allowing you to move closer and/or in their way.

In theory it's really fun, but in practice I've found that it doesn't work very well in most dungeons, which are extremely cramped. I played a Knight/Fighter who tried to pull it off, and I even made sure he had a Fly speed so that he could take 5 ft steps into the air if necessary. It helped a lot in some combats, but in most tunnels and hallways he basically had nowhere to go.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-08, 12:40 PM
It makes it difficult for anyone to make a Full Attack against you, because after their first hit against you, you get an AoO from Karmic Strike, and you use it to move away from their threatened area. And it makes it difficult for an enemy to move away from you, because most movement will provoke an AoO, allowing you to move closer and/or in their way.

I used a variant of this build along with a changeling (MIC) spear, allowing the character to wield a weapon with range (longspear) when on the defensive, moving even before any opponent without reach could strike. When offensive he changed to a normal spear, moving 10 ft away and then charging in again with pounce.
It worked fairly well, though as you said it wasn't optimal in narrow spaces.

elonin
2011-09-08, 05:54 PM
There might be an answer in dervish with their dervish dance feature. Also, the anklet of translocation moves you 10' as a free action 3x/day. Belt of battle grants move, standard, or full actions depending on daily charges used.

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-08, 07:48 PM
It's a swift action to use the Anklet of Translocation.

Zagaroth
2011-09-19, 11:43 PM
If using Pathfinder, May I point out Step-up, Following Step, and Step up & strike?

5' step if some one moves away from you, 10' following movement, and follow & attack person moving away from you.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/step-up-and-strike-combat