PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Abjurer Feat choices.

rgd20
2011-09-08, 07:32 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

there's a lot of junk in this message but I hope someone can help.

First of all I have read
Treantmonk's guide to Wizards (https://docs.google.com/View?docid=ddmg8sv6_11f5wp3fcx) an it helped a lot, but it was written before the APG came out.

Details of House Rules in play

Meta-Magic

The GM has decided that meta-magic feats are under used, so all Feats with a + lvl higher than 2 are reduced by one, and Extend no longer doubles the duration but bumps it up a category! I.e. 1min/lvl => 10 min/lvl, 1hr/lvl => 1 day/lvl. I've sworn to myself not to abuse this, he gave us a rod of lesser extend, which I'm using to give everyone darkvision, and protection from arrows

Item Creation

Craft rod, Craft Ring and Craft Wonderous have been shuffled into three new feats Craft Minor Wondrous, Craft Medium Wondrous, Craft Major Wondrous. Craft Minor requires Caster lvl 3, the others require the next one down, (he said that this was to ensure that expensive items are very rare in game) The gold breaks are the same for the minor/medium/major wondrous items, so a lesser rod of extend is a minor wondros item, as is a ring of featherfall.

Craft staff now has Craft Wand (instead of caster lvl 12) as it's preq

Craft Arms and Armour is unchanged

Divine Spellcasting

For "realism" arguments the level of spells a divine caster can access depends on the size of their congregation (size of wilderness under their protection for druids) We haven't been told the exact numbers, but he's said he'll tell us when we're getting close to the limits

The setting is greyhawk, and we running the Age of Worms (no spoilers please!)

Party is

Abjurer [banned schools: Enchantment, Necromancy](me)
Rogue (our damage dealer)
Cleric of Boccob
Bard (high-strength whipping disarmer)

all level 4

I'm focussing on being a buffer/summoner (being an Abjurer was for RP reasons, as was taking the bonded object rather than familiar)

My feats so far are

1: Eschew Materials, Skill Focus (spellcraft)
3: Craft Minor Wondrous.

My Plan is

5: Craft Arms and Armour, Craft Medium Wondrous

7: Minor Spell expertise (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#minor-spell-expertise) for the spell Vanish (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/vanish.html#vanish)

9:Leadership
10:Craft Major Wondrous
11:Quicken Spell-Like ability (Vanish (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/vanish.html#vanish))
13:Improved Initiative
15:?,?
17: Major Spell Expertise (teleport)
19:?,?
20:?

I have to get Leadership for the sake of our Cleric (my abjurer also worships Boccob) beacuse the minions will count as part of his congregation, I'm not going to make an adventuring cohort (I'll make a mini-me who can stay at home and encourage her to take brew potion, craft wand, craft staff).

It's the Minor spell expertise (vanish) that I'm wanting feedback on. It means that I can go invisible without having to make a concentration check and start summoning, the fact that it leads to Teleport as a spell-like ability is nice but that's quite late in the game.

...but I could just take Quicken Spell. Is it worth it to spend two feats and wait until lvl eleven to get quickened vanish (which I will use every day) when I could just get it at lvl 7, but use up a 5th lvl slot?

Thanks in advance!

Corlindale
2011-09-08, 07:47 AM
I wouldn't spend two entire feats on getting Vanish as a (quickened) spell-like ability. As you said yourself, just using Quicken spell is another option, and you'll get a lot of general mileage out of that feat as well. And it gets even better with your houserule on metamagic. Don't worry too much about slots, eventually you'll have plenty of spell-slots for all your vanishing needs.

Why Eschew materials and Skill Focus (Spellcraft)? RP reasons? In my experience the first is extremely situational while the latter generally doesn't make much difference unless you need high spellcraft for something specific.

Consider taking Augment Summoning and Superior Summoning if you want to be a specialized summoner. Reach Spell might be useful for buffing at range.

EDIT: If you do go with Augment Summoning, consider Spell Perfection (your favourite summoning spell) as your lvl 15 feat, as it will double the benefit of AS (and probably also Superior Summoning, I guess that's also a "set numerical bonus").