PDA

View Full Version : Spellthieves and Warlocks (please move me to 3.5 forum)

Diarmuid
2011-09-08, 10:32 AM
I'm playing a Spellthief in a RL game and new player has just recently joined as a Warlock.

This got me curious about using his invocations once I get the ability to steal spell-like abilities. The ST verbiage says that using the SLA is as if the originator had used it, and most invocations have a 24 hour duration.

Is it therfore possible to take things like See the Unseen and Fell Flight and then have them all day?

On a related note...can a ST steal multiple things on a single sneak attack if he has enough SA dice to sacrifice? There is no listing of any type of action associated with stealing, only that he can forgo dealing 1d6 to steal X, Y, or Z.

Edit - Blah, this should be in the 3.5 forum.

dextercorvia
2011-09-08, 11:15 AM
Is it therfore possible to take things like See the Unseen and Fell Flight and then have them all day?

Yes, unless you are dispelled.

Okizruin
2011-09-08, 11:25 AM
On a related note...can a ST steal multiple things on a single sneak attack if he has enough SA dice to sacrifice? There is no listing of any type of action associated with stealing, only that he can forgo dealing 1d6 to steal X, Y, or Z.

I think you can only do it once per sneak attack. Also, if the target is willing, you can simply Steal by touching the target (standard action).

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-08, 11:28 AM
Have you maxed your ranks in bluff? Ask him politly to get eh invocation that grants +6 to bluff and make you a scroll or two of Glibness.

Warlock / Spellthief pairlings are a match made in (somewhere south of heaven)

Diarmuid
2011-09-08, 12:20 PM
I think you can only do it once per sneak attack. Also, if the target is willing, you can simply Steal by touching the target (standard action).

Is there anything official on this? It makes sense to me, and we'll probably end up playing it that way..but as its written it seems like I could steal as many things as I have sneak attack dice.

Diarmuid
2011-09-08, 12:28 PM
While on the topic...would Master Spellthief effect the level of SLA I can steal? The CScoundrel text just says spells, but maybe the errata (which I cant access at the moment) or some other source might clarify?

dextercorvia
2011-09-08, 01:41 PM
Is there anything official on this? It makes sense to me, and we'll probably end up playing it that way..but as its written it seems like I could steal as many things as I have sneak attack dice.

Everything is listed as singular. When you successfully sneak attack, you may forgo 1d6 in order to steal a spell. The triggering event only allows for one instance.

Otherwise it is kind of a, "they didn't say I can't."

Diarmuid
2011-09-08, 01:48 PM
I guess I just saw it perhaps like utilizing more than one of the "Ambush Feats" from CScoundrel. If you had enough SA dice, would you be able to use more than one of those on a given SA?

dextercorvia
2011-09-08, 02:07 PM
I guess I just saw it perhaps like utilizing more than one of the "Ambush Feats" from CScoundrel. If you had enough SA dice, would you be able to use more than one of those on a given SA?

It explicitly says you can in that case. Also, you may use different ones, but you can't use the same one more than once/SA.

Diarmuid
2011-09-08, 02:09 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Any thoughts on Master Spellthief interaction with Steal Spell-Like Abilities?

Hazzardevil
2011-09-08, 02:20 PM

I'd say it works, but as written Master Spellthief doesn't upgrade your ability to hold spells.

dextercorvia
2011-09-08, 02:30 PM

I'd say it works, but as written Master Spellthief doesn't upgrade your ability to hold spells.

I'm fairly sure that it doesn't work, since that is a separate ability. Master Spellthief could be worded better, but stealing and holding are both part of the same ability.

Fouredged Sword
2011-09-08, 02:49 PM
And the feat specificly states "Level of spell you can steal" rather than the class ability name. Dumb? yes. RAW? also yes.

Diarmuid
2011-09-08, 03:08 PM
And spells are specifically not SLA's so RAW I'm guessing it wouldnt boost the level of SLA you could steal either? 1/3 per level is fairly limiting already, but taking into account multiclass and now that ability is all but useless.